Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It fucking pisses me off when a movie has several different cuts because then I feel obligated to see them all. Damn it, Manhunter.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    The Babadook is a seriously stupid movie. Don't believe the hype. "Scariest movie ever" my ass. It starts off with an interesting (but grating) premise, and then dissolves into laughable bullshit territory about halfway in, and it's all downhill from there.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Jupiter Ascending is already being hated upon. My initial reaction was WTF is this but honestly it's fun, really fun. Mark my words it will end up being loved when it airs over and over on regular cable.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    'adventures in babysitting' is one of the best movies ever made.
    I haven't seen that one since the late 80's/early 90's but I remember loving it every time, and falling in love with Elizabeth Shue.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Yeah, Jupiter Ascending made me laugh harder than anything I've seen in years. Had to bury my face in my arms to stop literally screaming with laughter when Sean Bean started talking about bees.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Don Johnson is awesome and should make more films.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The Babadook is a seriously stupid movie. Don't believe the hype. "Scariest movie ever" my ass. It starts off with an interesting (but grating) premise, and then dissolves into laughable bullshit territory about halfway in, and it's all downhill from there.
    I don't know, I think the problem lies mainly on how it was sold. The actual story being told is quite different than what is being shown. And it's not very subtle about it either. Anyway, my point is that this movie was good not for any horror element, but because it was a rather original (albeit hamfisted) way to talk about Spoiler: how the memory of the dead father and the circumstances of his death haunts the mother to the point it festers and causes her to blame her son even if she knows it's not really his fault.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 02-14-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Clarity

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah, it was a nice change, I'm getting tired of demons and ghosts and spooky entities that end up being a guy in a stupid mask anyway (I'm looking at you, Sinister).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I got dragged into seeing 50 Shades of Grey, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be(yeah, I know...big controversial statement there). Don't get me wrong, its pretty crap, but I was entertained by its attempt to make themes like BDSM palatable for the average housewife. It tried to fit stuff like repressed sexual abuse into this romance novel setting, and the whole thing felt so safe and naive that I found it strangely charming. Come to think of it, thats similar to how Mr. Grey himself felt about Anastasia. Aaaaaaawwww.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 02-14-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Yeah, Jupiter Ascending made me laugh harder than anything I've seen in years. Had to bury my face in my arms to stop literally screaming with laughter when Sean Bean started talking about bees.
    I don't get this. What's silly about it that isn't obviously ALREADY silly? Bees follow the Queen Bee.....People walk into Wachowski movies always thinking they're going to be watching another Matrix. Shift your paradigms people. Fuck.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Shift your paradigms people. Fuck.
    Calm yo tits man, their last movie is Cloud Atlas, it was elaborate but it wasn't pants-on-head retarded... Now Speed Racer was retarded, but not elaborate. Give the people some time to process that they decided to make an expensive, extremely produced elaborately retarded epic. Nobody expected them to fire all their guns at once...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I didn't walk into it expecting another Matrix (I'm actually a fan of nearly all their work), I'd heard enough to know it would be mad and pretty. I hadn't expected it to crack me up so much though. I enjoyed Jupiter Ascending a lot, the only dull notes for me were the action sequences.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I got dragged into seeing 50 Shades of Grey, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be(yeah, I know...big controversial statement there). Don't get me wrong, its pretty crap, but I was entertained by its attempt to make themes like BDSM palatable for the average housewife. It tried to fit stuff like repressed sexual abuse into this romance novel setting, and the whole thing felt so safe and naive that I found it strangely charming. Come to think of it, thats similar to how Mr. Grey himself felt about Anastasia. Aaaaaaawwww.
    Living in Dallas now, I really need to troll this dude. According to him, us little women need to be sat down and not be debased like Anastasia.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    I haven't seen that one since the late 80's/early 90's but I remember loving it every time, and falling in love with Elizabeth Shue.
    as a young gay kid in the 80's, that opening scene with the "and then he kissed me" hair brush lip sync was EVERYTHING. see it again if you can. it's a lot of fun.

another kick ass teen flick from the same time (relatively) is 'don't tell mom, the babysitter's dead.' it's SO good and still a total blast.

that scene at the end when modern english's "life's rich tapestry" plays after the fashion show? unforgettable and so perfect for the time. at (i think) 11, it shifted my interest in music. more new wave, less paula abdul.
    Last edited by kel; 02-15-2015 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    James Cameron's Avatar is an overblown piece of shit.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Kevin Smith should just stop making movies (and he should never, ever write Batman comics ever again).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Living in Dallas now, I really need to troll this dude. According to him, us little women need to be sat down and not be debased like Anastasia.

Fuck that guy he is trash, but tbh Anastasia is treated terribly and its clear that mr grey doesn't give a shit about consent or whether she is actually comfortable/ he is abusive and a creepy ass stalker. I don't mind people enjoying it at all or anything seeing as it is literally Twilight with BDSM. It started as an bella/edward alternate universe fanfic so thats why all the abusive/creepy elements are there. But I'm glad that other informed people are saying women shouldn't be treated the way she is treated and that its not a healthy example, though obviously its fine for fantasy. Seems obvious but then you remember what culture we are in and its like nahh this needs to be talked about.

My controversial movie opinion is that The Phantom Menace is WAYYY worse than Attack of the Clones. Urrybody smokin

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    It fucking pisses me off when a movie has several different cuts because then I feel obligated to see them all. Damn it, Manhunter.
    There's more than one cut of Manhunter?? Where... How... GIMME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    The World Is Not Enough is my favourite Bond film. Yeah, I said it. It hurts me deep in my man-parts to hear you guys disparaging it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    The World is Not Enough and Die Another Day are fucking putrid, but other than that the series is pretty good. It's a shame Brosnan was in those, because while his films were probably the worst of the bunch, he actually did a very good job.
    George Lazenby = Best Bond. OHMSS = Best Bond movie.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 02-18-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    There's more than one cut of Manhunter?? Where... How... GIMME!!!
    http://manhunter1986.com/miss00.html

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    *Hit me with rocks or bricks if you prefer*

Even removing myself from the time period I live in, I find Citizen Kane to be one of the most absolutely overblown and overrated movies in all of cinema. Nothing from it strikes me as a game changer in any way, shape or form.

It's not the time frame or period either of classic Black and White to why I think it's nothing special. I love all the old Universal Studios Monsters films, The Grapes of Wrath, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Modern Times (if it counts) and even Casablanca (which I don't think is extraordinary, however I can see the impact).

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Schindler's List is maybe the best film I've ever seen, if you take out the final melodramatic moment where he cries about selling off his nazi pin.

It's as close to perfection as a movie gets, and it tackles what is probably the heaviest narrative imaginable. I run into a lot of hate for Spielberg, but I have yet to hear anyone give me a legitimate complaint about this movie. Even Kubrick's objection that Spielberg wanted to make the holocaust into a "story of victory" is something that falls flat when you assess the final product. It's perfect, horrifying, maybe the most upsetting thing I've ever seen, but I cannot understand how someone could watch this movie and not feel that they're changed as a person.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    When does The Wire get good? I've had people laughing at me for not watching this show, and I have not heard a single person tell me it's anything less than great.... I'm watching the first episode right now, and I do NOT get it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Check back after two of three episodes.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    When does The Wire get good? I've had people laughing at me for not watching this show, and I have not heard a single person tell me it's anything less than great.... I'm watching the first episode right now, and I do NOT get it.
    It's slow burning. You need to invest in the characters so that you can really feel some feels when they starts getting killed and what not. Also... going into something after the world telling you that it is the greatest thing ever can't be easy.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Agreed, for me I did like the first 2 seasons OK and it does build characters well. But the show really didn't come up to my full attention until I started watching Season 3 and they bring on Bunny Colvin. His story arc is compelling.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    pretty much all of these cgi heavy superhero movies are shit and possibly a sign of a culture in decline

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not to sound like a broken record, but what everyone says is true... It starts off quite dull to be perfectly honest. Took me even longer than just 3 or 4 episodes to finally dig it, but once it gets rolling, it's pretty great.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Schindler's List is maybe the best film I've ever seen, if you take out the final melodramatic moment where he cries about selling off his nazi pin.

It's as close to perfection as a movie gets, and it tackles what is probably the heaviest narrative imaginable. I run into a lot of hate for Spielberg, but I have yet to hear anyone give me a legitimate complaint about this movie. Even Kubrick's objection that Spielberg wanted to make the holocaust into a "story of victory" is something that falls flat when you assess the final product. It's perfect, horrifying, maybe the most upsetting thing I've ever seen, but I cannot understand how someone could watch this movie and not feel that they're changed as a person.
    also amazing to think it was made in the same 2 year period he made jurassic park

if you like SL check out a russian film called "come and see", its a drama about nazi atrocities in the occupied ussr, its so bleak I believe the soviet authorities buried it for years. I always felt it and SL were like peas in a pod

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    It's slow burning. You need to invest in the characters so that you can really feel some feels when they starts getting killed and what not. Also... going into something after the world telling you that it is the greatest thing ever can't be easy.
    I liked The Wire but never got invested in any characters, it was always about the story. Six Feet Under and Sopranos were there for all my character based television needs.

Also Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Tina Fey, Sacha Baron Cohen and Jerry Seinfeld constantly seem unfunny to me. Is it a US thing (cept maybe Sasha Baron Cohen)?
    Last edited by sa_nick; 06-14-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_nick View Post
    I liked The Wire but never got invested in any characters, it was always about the story. Six Feet Under and Sopranos were there for all my character based television needs.

Also Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Tina Fey, Sacha Baron Cohen and Jerry Seinfeld constantly seem unfunny to me. Is it a US thing?
    Funny, not, funny, has his moments, funny. Guess it's a US thing or opinion?

@Jinsai I own Sclindler's List on blu-ray. I LOVE the film. It's probably my favorite Holocaust/pre-WWII film besides The Pianist.