Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I loved Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Kill Bill was fun to watch but short of being amazing. He's different, I'll give him that.
    On the fence whether he's overrated or not. I'll have to watch Django Unchained first.
    Tarantino might be overrated, but i can say this about him: he uncompromisingly makes the kind of films HE would enjoy watching.
    I doubt he considers his work to be high art, but for me, his work never fails to entertain.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I loved Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Kill Bill was fun to watch but short of being amazing. He's different, I'll give him that.
    On the fence whether he's overrated or not. I'll have to watch Django Unchained first.
    Reservoir Dogs is probably my least favorite QT film. It's not bad--with any of his movies there's some great dialog with colorful characters and I love the soundtrack. But the plot was a little too thin and the violence just started to get a little draining after a while. He grew leaps-and-bounds as a filmmaker with Pulp Fiction, IMHO.

Between Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained, it would be really hard to pick a favorite.

Tarantino's most underrated movie is Death Proof, IMHO. It's not his best movie, but it is a lot of fun and I loved Kurt Russell's performance.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Reservoir Dogs is probably my least favorite QT film. It's not bad--with any of his movies there's some great dialog with colorful characters and I love the soundtrack. But the plot was a little too thin and the violence just started to get a little draining after a while. He grew leaps-and-bounds as a filmmaker with Pulp Fiction, IMHO.

Between Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained, it would be really hard to pick a favorite.

Tarantino's most underrated movie is Death Proof, IMHO. It's not his best movie, but it is a lot of fun and I loved Kurt Russell's performance.
    Interesting. I always thought Jackie Brown was his most underrated movie. I think it's underrated because it's essentially a movie about older people (you know, second chances, regrets, nostalgia and the like). His other movies either created or copied pop culture. Jackie Brown speaks a different language.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Bill at the end of Kill Bill vol 2 and his rambling speech about Batman.
    I hate to be that guy but it was about Superman and connected really well to the Bride. He explains how Superman wakes up as Superman and has to put on a costume to be Clark Kent, unlike any other superhero, and that try as he may to be a human, he's always going to be Superman. His whole point is that that's who the Bride is -- she could try to get away from being a killer, she could try to get married and have a kid and work in a record store and try to be some average woman, but she would always wake up as Beatrix Kiddo and would always be a killer at heart.

I'd be lying if I said I don't adore QT films but as far as controversial statements revolving him go, I think Django is very overrated and was a huge disappointment to me. It was the first Quentin film that really felt genuinely too long for me, and it attempts a double climax that just fizzled out for me. I was and still am surprised that so many people saw it as a really edgy or daring film, because really it felt like just another QT revenge film. I'm not saying I didn't like it or anything, I did, but I wouldn't at all put it near his best.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I hate to be that guy but it was about Superman and connected really well to the Bride. He explains how Superman wakes up as Superman and has to put on a costume to be Clark Kent, unlike any other superhero, and that try as he may to be a human, he's always going to be Superman. His whole point is that that's who the Bride is -- she could try to get away from being a killer, she could try to get married and have a kid and work in a record store and try to be some average woman, but she would always wake up as Beatrix Kiddo and would always be a killer at heart.

I'd be lying if I said I don't adore QT films but as far as controversial statements revolving him go, I think Django is very overrated and was a huge disappointment to me. It was the first Quentin film that really felt genuinely too long for me, and it attempts a double climax that just fizzled out for me. I was and still am surprised that so many people saw it as a really edgy or daring film, because really it felt like just another QT revenge film. I'm not saying I didn't like it or anything, I did, but I wouldn't at all put it near his best.
    My mistake, think I just switched off during the speech, I'm not really a superhero fan or comic / comic book reader except for watching the Superman films, and the Tim Burton batman ones.

I haven't seen any of the Dark Knight trilogy, in fact I haven't seen ANY of Christopher Nolan's films

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    My mistake, think I just switched off during the speech, I'm not really a superhero fan or comic / comic book reader except for watching the Superman films, and the Tim Burton batman ones.

I haven't seen any of the Dark Knight trilogy, in fact I haven't seen ANY of Christopher Nolan's films

I will definitely say that the Burton films are just a small representation of what Batman can be, but if it's not your thing then I definitely won't push, you know your taste far better than I do.

I'm not the biggest Nolan fanboy and I really hate the circlejerk surrounding him online at times, but The Prestige and Inception are well worth a watch, and TDK trilogy has some remarkable aspects that are just beyond worth it. I know it seems like Ledger's Joker has been overrated as all hell, but it really is that good. But like I said, if it's not your thing, it's not your thing, and that's certainly fair, but I'd definitely give those a shot if you're at all interested. The Prestige especially is excellent and has David Bowie as Nikolai Tesla, that alone makes it worth it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    TV-related but, whatever:

I know Joss Whedon fans claim that season four of Angel is THE WORST, but I'm doing a Buffyverse rewatch and season two of that show was just fucking PAINFUL to watch. It didn't help that I was basically alternating with the flawless fifth season of Buffy.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Lately, I'm having dreams where I'm punching Shia La Boof in the face over and over again, and they're really nice and enjoyable dreams. I don't want to wake up.

I have no idea why I apparently hate this guy so much. Can someone convince me that he's a good actor? Why the fuck is this guy on my tv?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Lately, I'm having dreams where I'm punching Shia La Boof in the face over and over again, and they're really nice and enjoyable dreams. I don't want to wake up.

I have no idea why I apparently hate this guy so much. Can someone convince me that he's a good actor? Why the fuck is this guy on my tv?
    I honestly think he is mental. He's been in some blockbuster movies....but I agree his acting is shite for the most part. I liked Eagle Eye. But now he's just a joke with all the weirdness. It's probably dumb, but I feel bad for the kid. I really think he has issuses.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    that's fucking awesome. are you serious? lolz.

if you watch nymphomania, you have to see him actually having sex and his actual tool...it's hard to unsee... :/

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    No, I'm not really serious. Unfortunately. I wish my dreams were that awesome.

I just read this and felt sick and irritated beyond belief.

http://laist.com/2014/11/28/shia_lab..._me_during.php

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    No, I'm not really serious. Unfortunately. I wish my dreams were that awesome.

I just read this and felt sick and irritated beyond belief.

http://laist.com/2014/11/28/shia_lab..._me_during.php
    right?
    i watched it on roku this morning...what a fucking strange weirdo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

if you watch nymphomania, you have to see him actually having sex and his actual tool...it's hard to unsee... :/
    That was actually a body double. They filmed the scenes twice, once with the actors, and once with the doubles. They used CG to splice the two together.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I fully recommend The Prestige. I loved that film. Much better than the Illusionist, which is also a fine film.

Plus the line with Bale going 'where's duh bloodeh key" is so greatly delivered it always makes me laugh...which is kinda cruel if you've seen it.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I made it through about twenty minutes of Nymphomaniac Pt 1. I actually usually like Lars Von Trier, but I couldn't stand that movie. It was pretty much the most draining and depressing experience I've ever had watching a movie, and I felt sick afterwards.

and, I just saw that news story that Von Trier is now sober, and he thinks he has to stop making movies now because without the drugs and booze his work would suck. That's really odd...
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-29-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    I made it through about twenty minutes of Nymphomaniac Pt 1. I actually usually like Lars Von Trier, but I couldn't stand that movie. It was pretty much the most draining and depressing experience I've ever had watching a movie, and I felt sick afterwards.

and, I just saw that news story that Von Trier is now sober, and he thinks he has to stop making movies now because without the drugs and booze his work would suck. That's really odd...
    Nymphomaniac was...yeah, it was a fucking assault on the senses. It was hard to watch. My wife and i braved the whole fucking thing.
    I've never been so uncomfortable watching a movie...but i think that was the point.
    @raptors661 , i read that today too. And good to meet you.
    @Jinsai , i read the story about Von Trier's sobriety today too.
    He's a strange guy. He was in the news before for talking about how cool Hitler was or something along those lines.
    Bottle of vodka gets him to a parallel universe, ha. Me too...it's where i spent most of my twenties.

What I wanna know is, how did he manage to work drunk all the time?
    I used to drink A LOT, and i could barely handle a desk job for 5 or 6 hours a day.
    How the hell do you drink like that and be an insanely prolific critically acclaimed director, you know?

Also @Jinsai , what other movies of his are good?
    I first became aware of him after watching antichrist, which i found to be the most interesting and provocative, if not the best, movie i had seen in a few years, and that's saying a lot because my wife and i are serious movie buffs. I've seen Melancholia...what else?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Also @Jinsai , what other movies of his are good?
    I first became aware of him after watching antichrist, which i found to be the most interesting and provocative, if not the best, movie i had seen in a few years, and that's saying a lot because my wife and i are serious movie buffs. I've seen Melancholia...what else?
    Have you seen Breaking the Waves or Dancer in the Dark?

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Have you seen Breaking the Waves or Dancer in the Dark?
    nope.

thanks, man.

there IS something i'd like to say, but i'm not sure how to put it.

I don't know what to think about rotten tomatoes and metacritic and such.
    At first i thought it was awesome. A-ha! HERE is the DEFINITIVE last word on whether a movie is worth my time or not.

But then i started noticing little things, like, The Devil Inside. I thought it was a GREAT horror movie, but it received like six or 8 percent on RT.
    Another recent movie that i really enjoyed was Apollo 18. Yet it only got 10 or 15 percent.

I'm starting to wish i hadn't discovered the aggregates.

Now don't get me wrong, i don;t think i've found one with a super high score that wasn't good...more often it's good flicks receiving bad scores.

Another one is The Butler: it scored in the sixties. Yet when my wife and i watched it, we were entertained, educated and moved to tears. We figured it would clean up at the oscars. And i thought SURELY it would be in the high nineties...i couldn't imagine someone not liking this movie.

And had i seen that RT score and saw that the subject matter seemed boring, we would not have caught it!

there's controversies in thare sumwheres.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-29-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just watched The Dark Knight and Batman's voice is so silly it takes me out of the film every time he speaks

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I had a quiet night at home last night so I watched "Under The Skin" and "The Rover" back to back. I was riveted and entertained by both films (and their scores). Having done that and feeling that way, I have to wonder if there is something really wrong with me.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Guardians of the Galaxy is a shitty movie. It's stupid. There is nothing good about this movie. Nothing. Fuck this fucking movie. This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. This movie makes me hate the concept of movies. Fuck everyone who made this. FUCK YOU. And fuck everyone who has been recommending this movie to me... saying things like "it's the new Star Wars." Fuck you too. You're wrong.

Guardians of the Galaxy is shit. This is a stupid movie.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Guardians of the Galaxy is a shitty movie. It's stupid. There is nothing good about this movie. Nothing. Fuck this fucking movie. This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. This movie makes me hate the concept of movies. Fuck everyone who made this. FUCK YOU. And fuck everyone who has been recommending this movie to me... saying things like "it's the new Star Wars." Fuck you too. You're wrong.

Guardians of the Galaxy is shit. This is a stupid movie.
    I love you Jinsai, even when you're wrong. Guardians is awesome; you just haven't watched the Dancing Baby Groot video enough times.

You are Groot too, my friend.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I love you Jinsai, even when you're wrong. Guardians is awesome; you just haven't watched the Dancing Baby Groot video enough times.

You are Groot too, my friend.
    I actually warmed up to it once I got over the aspects that were bothering me and lowered my expectations... and while this review still pretty accurately sums up a lot of the things I didn't like about the movie, ultimately it turns out to be pretty fun if you take it for what it is.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    i didn't find anything remotely divisive or controversial about American Sniper.

It wasn't about whether the war was right or wrong and didn't make any sweeping generalizations.

It was a story about one dude.
    He had his beliefs. He did his job. He got all fucked up from it.
    But it was about one person.

I can't believe that people are discussing this movie in political terms.
    My wife and i are pretty far to the left and we certainly didn't feel alienated by it.

Honestly, i thought the third Dark Knight batman movie was about 10 times more political (pro-right wing) than American Sniper.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Honestly, i thought the third Dark Knight batman movie was about 10 times more political (pro-right wing) than American Sniper.
    Batman (in both comic and movie form) has always had a strangely conservative subversive moral. This guy is the son of the wealthiest of the wealthy... and it is his wealth that empowers him to battle the forces of evil.... kooky but colorful prankster villains like the Joker who seek primarily to encourage chaos and radical disestablishment ideas. Some of Batman's other prominent villains are fervent extremist environmentalists (Poison Ivy) and geeky academic nerds (Riddler). Rendering Two-Face as a liberal minded politician who develops a psychotic and wantonly malicious ulterior alter-ego falls in line with the political staging.

Frank Miller's rendition of Batman was even more obviously pro-conservative with its portrayal... to the point where the author admitted it.

With the Nolan movies... I always thought it was kind of odd that the second film exonerated Batman's use of spying on people via their cell phones as a justifiable way to combat the Joker. It seemed like a strange way of exonerating the Bush administration's efforts to combat terrorism by... spying on people via their cell phone conversations. I love the Batman movies and comics, easily one of the best comic book characters ever... and maybe the only comic book movies that I think ever achieved any level of true greatness (again, fuck you Guardians of the Galaxy). But yeah, Batman always did seem like a conservative daydream fantasy.

I haven't seen American Sniper, but I plan to, and I thought Michael Moore's comments (including his elaboration) were fucking stupid.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I can't think of a film this year with a less interesting concept than Boyhood. What is so fascinating about that idea that makes it a best picture Oscar winner?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I can't think of a film this year with a less interesting concept than Boyhood. What is so fascinating about that idea that makes it a best picture Oscar winner?
    Did you see the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I've come to loathe Eastwood's movies. I absolutely abhor the macho bravado that is the underlying theme of every movie he makes, which I find as manly and stupid as eating rocks. Neanderthal philosophy with a generous pouring of fascination for stupid martyrdom.
    Well that's how I perceive it anyway.
    You don't see that in Bridges of Madison County... and Unforgiven, despite fitting perfectly into the category of what you don't like here, is a really great and gritty modern western. C'mon... Unforgiven is awesome!
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-23-2015 at 02:52 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    You don't see that in Bridges of Madison County... and Unforgiven, despite fitting perfectly into the category of what you don't like here, is a really great and gritty modern western. C'mon... Unforgiven is awesome!
    Alright, let's say I felt this way for the last ten years. I loved Mystic River, then came Million Dollar Baby and from then on it's primate country. Gran Torino was particularly enraging to me. Granted, I have not watched every film he made since then, maybe I only saw the exceptions...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Did you see the movie?

C'mon... Unforgiven is awesome!
    No I haven't seen it but I follow a lot of film people on twitter so I've read a lot about it and nothing about it entices me to want to see it, but I found Stand by Me boring so I just don't like 'coming of age' films.

Unforgiven is a really great film though

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Haven't seen it, it's been surprising that a film which came out so far back in the year is such a strong contender. I can say that Linklater's critical-darling films, the Before Sunrise/Sunset series, bore me to tears, so I have no interest in Boyhood either.