Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was watching "The Judge" and thinking "wait a minute, I already watched this movie just yesterday, except it was a bit funnier and named This Is Where I Leave You". :-)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I had a quiet night at home last night so I watched "Under The Skin" and "The Rover" back to back. I was riveted and entertained by both films (and their scores). Having done that and feeling that way, I have to wonder if there is something really wrong with me.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Guardians of the Galaxy is a shitty movie. It's stupid. There is nothing good about this movie. Nothing. Fuck this fucking movie. This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. This movie makes me hate the concept of movies. Fuck everyone who made this. FUCK YOU. And fuck everyone who has been recommending this movie to me... saying things like "it's the new Star Wars." Fuck you too. You're wrong.

Guardians of the Galaxy is shit. This is a stupid movie.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i didn't find anything remotely divisive or controversial about American Sniper.

It wasn't about whether the war was right or wrong and didn't make any sweeping generalizations.

It was a story about one dude.
    He had his beliefs. He did his job. He got all fucked up from it.
    But it was about one person.

I can't believe that people are discussing this movie in political terms.
    My wife and i are pretty far to the left and we certainly didn't feel alienated by it.

Honestly, i thought the third Dark Knight batman movie was about 10 times more political (pro-right wing) than American Sniper.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Honestly, i thought the third Dark Knight batman movie was about 10 times more political (pro-right wing) than American Sniper.
    Batman (in both comic and movie form) has always had a strangely conservative subversive moral. This guy is the son of the wealthiest of the wealthy... and it is his wealth that empowers him to battle the forces of evil.... kooky but colorful prankster villains like the Joker who seek primarily to encourage chaos and radical disestablishment ideas. Some of Batman's other prominent villains are fervent extremist environmentalists (Poison Ivy) and geeky academic nerds (Riddler). Rendering Two-Face as a liberal minded politician who develops a psychotic and wantonly malicious ulterior alter-ego falls in line with the political staging.

Frank Miller's rendition of Batman was even more obviously pro-conservative with its portrayal... to the point where the author admitted it.

With the Nolan movies... I always thought it was kind of odd that the second film exonerated Batman's use of spying on people via their cell phones as a justifiable way to combat the Joker. It seemed like a strange way of exonerating the Bush administration's efforts to combat terrorism by... spying on people via their cell phone conversations. I love the Batman movies and comics, easily one of the best comic book characters ever... and maybe the only comic book movies that I think ever achieved any level of true greatness (again, fuck you Guardians of the Galaxy). But yeah, Batman always did seem like a conservative daydream fantasy.

I haven't seen American Sniper, but I plan to, and I thought Michael Moore's comments (including his elaboration) were fucking stupid.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I can't think of a film this year with a less interesting concept than Boyhood. What is so fascinating about that idea that makes it a best picture Oscar winner?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I've come to loathe Eastwood's movies. I absolutely abhor the macho bravado that is the underlying theme of every movie he makes, which I find as manly and stupid as eating rocks. Neanderthal philosophy with a generous pouring of fascination for stupid martyrdom.
    Well that's how I perceive it anyway.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I can't think of a film this year with a less interesting concept than Boyhood. What is so fascinating about that idea that makes it a best picture Oscar winner?
    Did you see the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I've come to loathe Eastwood's movies. I absolutely abhor the macho bravado that is the underlying theme of every movie he makes, which I find as manly and stupid as eating rocks. Neanderthal philosophy with a generous pouring of fascination for stupid martyrdom.
    Well that's how I perceive it anyway.
    You don't see that in Bridges of Madison County... and Unforgiven, despite fitting perfectly into the category of what you don't like here, is a really great and gritty modern western. C'mon... Unforgiven is awesome!
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-23-2015 at 02:52 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Haven't seen it, it's been surprising that a film which came out so far back in the year is such a strong contender. I can say that Linklater's critical-darling films, the Before Sunrise/Sunset series, bore me to tears, so I have no interest in Boyhood either.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    You don't see that in Bridges of Madison County... and Unforgiven, despite fitting perfectly into the category of what you don't like here, is a really great and gritty modern western. C'mon... Unforgiven is awesome!
    Alright, let's say I felt this way for the last ten years. I loved Mystic River, then came Million Dollar Baby and from then on it's primate country. Gran Torino was particularly enraging to me. Granted, I have not watched every film he made since then, maybe I only saw the exceptions...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Haven't seen it, it's been surprising that a film which came out so far back in the year is such a strong contender. I can say that Linklater's critical-darling films, the Before Sunrise/Sunset series, bore me to tears, so I have no interest in Boyhood either.

Boyhood WILL win best director. I would bet everything I own on that, and he probably deserves it. I haven't seen all of the competition so I can't say that... But I'd still bet the money.

and @Khrz , you never saw Dazed and Confused? It's maybe the best movie ever made about growing up, and it's only a "maybe" because Boyhood is probably better.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-23-2015 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Did you see the movie?

C'mon... Unforgiven is awesome!
    No I haven't seen it but I follow a lot of film people on twitter so I've read a lot about it and nothing about it entices me to want to see it, but I found Stand by Me boring so I just don't like 'coming of age' films.

Unforgiven is a really great film though

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Guardians of the Galaxy is a shitty movie. It's stupid. There is nothing good about this movie. Nothing. Fuck this fucking movie. This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. This movie makes me hate the concept of movies. Fuck everyone who made this. FUCK YOU. And fuck everyone who has been recommending this movie to me... saying things like "it's the new Star Wars." Fuck you too. You're wrong.

Guardians of the Galaxy is shit. This is a stupid movie.
    I love you Jinsai, even when you're wrong. Guardians is awesome; you just haven't watched the Dancing Baby Groot video enough times.

You are Groot too, my friend.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I love you Jinsai, even when you're wrong. Guardians is awesome; you just haven't watched the Dancing Baby Groot video enough times.

You are Groot too, my friend.
    I actually warmed up to it once I got over the aspects that were bothering me and lowered my expectations... and while this review still pretty accurately sums up a lot of the things I didn't like about the movie, ultimately it turns out to be pretty fun if you take it for what it is.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    There are no bad James Bond movies. Some are better than others, but no bad ones.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    There are no bad James Bond movies. Some are better than others, but no bad ones.
    Some of the Roger Moore ones are passionately cheesey and a few of the Pierce Brosnan films are a total mess but otherwise I'd widely agree. Borderline worst, they're still entertaining, and I really never watch one expecting much more than that.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    The World is Not Enough and Die Another Day are fucking putrid, but other than that the series is pretty good. It's a shame Brosnan was in those, because while his films were probably the worst of the bunch, he actually did a very good job.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    DAD is often singled out as the worst James Bond film, or among the worst. While it's not one of the best films in the series, I enjoyed it. I actually thought that all four Brosnan-era films were of the same quality--not the best in the series, but better-than-average action films. The invisible car (DAD), and casting Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist (TWINE) was pretty ridiculous--but I can let that go--they were fun movies and Brosnan's charisma, some great action sequences and pretty good villains made the films work for me.

Brosnan deserves a lot of credit for bringing the franchise back to life. The series was pretty much dead-in-the-water until GoldenEye, which really gave the series a shot in the arm. Brosnan made 007 relevant again for a new generation of film goers. That said, I think that Dalton's two films were, overall, better. The Living Daylights is an excellent Cold War thriller with lots of unexpected twists and Licence to Kill sees Bond going rogue, on a personal vendetta. The Brosnan films look better and had bigger budgets, but Dalton's films had better scripts, IMHO. Although LTK does look kind of cheap, like a made-for-TV movie and has a very dated, Miami Vice feel, it's still very enjoyable.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Some of the Roger Moore ones are passionately cheesey and a few of the Pierce Brosnan films are a total mess but otherwise I'd widely agree. Borderline worst, they're still entertaining, and I really never watch one expecting much more than that.
    I recently watched A View to a Kill and man it was cheesy. Roger Moore was 58 and the Bond girl was about 24, it's a rip-off of Goldfinger ​and one of the film's major action scenes involves Bond stealing a fire truck! Still, Roger Moore, as old as he was to be playing Bond, shines. Also, Christopher Walken was pretty awesome as Zorin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I only realised recently that last year several of my favourite directors; Wes Anderson, David Fincher and the Dardenne Brothers, all released new films that I found to be their worst in years/ever

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Linklater has been one of my favorite directors ever since i first saw slacker and dazed. I loved Waking Life. Yet, I couldn't appreciate Boyhood for more than what it was: a two+ hour long movie. As interesting as the technical and practical aspects of the making of it are, it doesn't matter, and shouldn't matter. I'm as little impressed with the actors growing up or growing old in it, as I am with actors in Walking Dead, Lost or any soap opera growing up during the course of X amount of seasons. We age. Big deal.
    Interesting to see faces develop, degrade, get fat, ugly, uglier or pretty. (There's a bunch of time lapse clips in youtube) Sure, but how good is the story? Moving around and having alcoholic fathers/mothers is sad, plenty of us have been there. It doesn't make it an extraordinary movie.
    Last edited by hobochic; 02-08-2015 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    The World is Not Enough
    That movie was worth it for the videogame, which was better than the movie.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I can't believe Grand Budapest is an Oscar contender for best picture while Inherent Vice gets 2 nomintstions. What the actual fuck. Wes Anderson is a one trick pony while Paul Thomas Anderson is an artist. That shouldn't be controversial but, fuck...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The series was pretty much dead-in-the-water until GoldenEye, which really gave the series a shot in the arm.
    GoldenEye is my personal favorite and in my opinion, one of the best Bond ever. Brosnan was the Bond everyone wanted at the time and look at the rest of the cast: Famke Janssen (amazing), Sean Bean (who's always a great villain) and my favorite: Alan Cumming as Boris. God I love Boris. That scene with the bomb pen still has me on the edge of my seat.

I just love that movie so much.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The World Is Not Enough is my favourite Bond film. Yeah, I said it. It hurts me deep in my man-parts to hear you guys disparaging it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I can't believe Grand Budapest is an Oscar contender for best picture while Inherent Vice gets 2 nomintstions. What the actual fuck. Wes Anderson is a one trick pony while Paul Thomas Anderson is an artist. That shouldn't be controversial but, fuck...
    The Master was also hardcore snubbed when it came out and it is probably my favorite film of that year.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    GoldenEye is my personal favorite and in my opinion, one of the best Bond ever. Brosnan was the Bond everyone wanted at the time and look at the rest of the cast: Famke Janssen (amazing), Sean Bean (who's always a great villain) and my favorite: Alan Cumming as Boris. God I love Boris. That scene with the bomb pen still has me on the edge of my seat.

I just love that movie so much.
    " A gun and a radio...not exactly Christmas."
    "Were you expecting an exploding pen? We don't really go for that sort of thing nowadays."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The best movie of all times is The NeverEnding Story.

I loved it as a teenager, and I still do. Magic mirror gate (who am I really?), G'mork's monologue ("Because people have begun to lose their hopes and forget their dreams. So the Nothing grows stronger. (..) Because people who have no hopes are easy to control; and whoever has the control... has the power!", The Oracle, Falkor the luck dragon (not dog), "They look like big, good, strong hands, don't they? I always thought that's what they were"... Beautiful.

PS: "
    We don't even care whether or not we care."

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    'adventures in babysitting' is one of the best movies ever made.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    'adventures in babysitting' is one of the best movies ever made.
    Yes it is, absolutely.