Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I think Waterworld is pretty good. Its not super great, but its got some fun sequences, and I appreciate the minimal use of CG(Is there any CG?). I mean, they actual built that huge floating town-thing, and did that explosion on the tanker.
    I haven't seen that since '95, but I remember enjoying it.

I felt that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a good movie--about as good as the other Indiana Jones movies.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I recently started watching through the Bond movies again, and I guess I cave to the popular opinion that the connery ones are the best. But I grew up with Brosnan, and I'm enjoyed the Daniel Craig one's. BUT, and here's where this thread comes full circle, License to Kill is one of my favorites. Like top 3 or 4.
    I know this post is old, but I agree 100 percent. Dalton was a great 007. I saw The Living Daylights twice, recently, and it's only gotten better over the year, IMHO. License to Kill was also a great Bond. I liked the Brosnan-era and Pierce should be credited for bringing the franchise back from the dead, but Dalton's two movies are arguably better.

ETA--Of all the actors to play James Bond, Dalton was the closest to Fleming's literary creation. He took the role very seriously, reading the books on set for guidance, etc. When people say that they don't like Dalton because he was "humorless, too serious, not like Connery/Moore," etc. they are overlooking the fact that's what the original James Bond, the one created by Fleming, was like.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-26-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Somewhere, I'm not sure where exactly—some may put it around the time of the first Pirates, but I think it probably stretches back to Fear & Loathing—somewhere Depp decided that he'd given up on reaching for the deeper, more interesting roles he played in the past, and focused instead on caricatures, becoming a kind of critically-lauded version of Jim Carrey, doing the rubber-faced thing and playing dress-up.
    Jesus Christ. I knew you were sick but I never expected to hear you actually say that kind of stuff, you filthy bastard.
    That's... argh! Argh! That's argh! Argh! That's argh!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Okay, maybe this isn't a very "controversial" opinion, but I think Leonardo Dicaprio is a TERRIBLE actor.
    i know you posted this a LONG goddam time ago, but i was thinking about it for some reason.
    I feel that i watched Leo go from being a GREAT, promising actor to just a pretty face.
    I think the turning point was titanic...i LOVE that movie but it has nothing to do with the acting. It's all about the Boat.

But have you seen The Basketball Diaries? Or Gilbert Grape? Or even This Boy's Life?

I thought he was AMAZING in those films...in fact, he was probably my favorite actor in those days (granted i was 13-15 or so.)

So he IS a shitty actor, but he WAS a great actor, in my humble opinion.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post
    I don't understand all the love for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It falls completely flat for me every time I try to watch it, which is frustrating because I like the movie's premise & generally like Kaufman's other stuff. But this one just comes off as irritating & pretentious to me.
    It's my favorite movie

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    It's my favorite movie
    it's cunt ramming awesome

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Being a film buff, I get weird looks when I say that Inglourious Basterds was such an average movie. Gave it a 6/10 (compared to 8.3 average on IMDB)
    Didn't do anything for me.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Being a film buff, I get weird looks when I say that Inglourious Basterds was such an average movie. Gave it a 6/10 (compared to 8.3 average on IMDB)
    Didn't do anything for me.
    I watched it on tv but didn't get past the opening sequence. Yes I know what's going to happen so get fucking on with it!

Which leads me on to another controversial opinion, thinking Tarantino is overrated. I find his characters annoying, one of the worse offences being Bill at the end of Kill Bill vol 2 and his rambling speech about Batman. Yes I'm sure a fucking gangster lynch pin was really into comic books just because Tarantino is a complete dweeb who spent too much time watching films as a video shop employee. He just seems to project far too much of himself into his characters. For the record I did like Reservoir Dogs and thought the dialogue in that was quite snappy, but he was so idolised he ended up thinking he could do anything and people would lap it up

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I watched it on tv but didn't get past the opening sequence. Yes I know what's going to happen so get fucking on with it!

Which leads me on to another controversial opinion, thinking Tarantino is overrated. I find his characters annoying, one of the worse offences being Bill at the end of Kill Bill vol 2 and his rambling speech about Batman. Yes I'm sure a fucking gangster lynch pin was really into comic books just because Tarantino is a complete dweeb who spent too much time watching films as a video shop employee. He just seems to project far too much of himself into his characters. For the record I did like Reservoir Dogs and thought the dialogue in that was quite snappy, but he was so idolised he ended up thinking he could do anything and people would lap it up
    I loved Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Kill Bill was fun to watch but short of being amazing. He's different, I'll give him that.
    On the fence whether he's overrated or not. I'll have to watch Django Unchained first.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I loved Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Kill Bill was fun to watch but short of being amazing. He's different, I'll give him that.
    On the fence whether he's overrated or not. I'll have to watch Django Unchained first.
    Tarantino might be overrated, but i can say this about him: he uncompromisingly makes the kind of films HE would enjoy watching.
    I doubt he considers his work to be high art, but for me, his work never fails to entertain.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    TV-related but, whatever:

I know Joss Whedon fans claim that season four of Angel is THE WORST, but I'm doing a Buffyverse rewatch and season two of that show was just fucking PAINFUL to watch. It didn't help that I was basically alternating with the flawless fifth season of Buffy.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Reservoir Dogs is probably my least favorite QT film. It's not bad--with any of his movies there's some great dialog with colorful characters and I love the soundtrack. But the plot was a little too thin and the violence just started to get a little draining after a while. He grew leaps-and-bounds as a filmmaker with Pulp Fiction, IMHO.

Between Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained, it would be really hard to pick a favorite.

Tarantino's most underrated movie is Death Proof, IMHO. It's not his best movie, but it is a lot of fun and I loved Kurt Russell's performance.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Reservoir Dogs is probably my least favorite QT film. It's not bad--with any of his movies there's some great dialog with colorful characters and I love the soundtrack. But the plot was a little too thin and the violence just started to get a little draining after a while. He grew leaps-and-bounds as a filmmaker with Pulp Fiction, IMHO.

Between Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained, it would be really hard to pick a favorite.

Tarantino's most underrated movie is Death Proof, IMHO. It's not his best movie, but it is a lot of fun and I loved Kurt Russell's performance.
    Interesting. I always thought Jackie Brown was his most underrated movie. I think it's underrated because it's essentially a movie about older people (you know, second chances, regrets, nostalgia and the like). His other movies either created or copied pop culture. Jackie Brown speaks a different language.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    Interesting. I always thought Jackie Brown was his most underrated movie. I think it's underrated because it's essentially a movie about older people (you know, second chances, regrets, nostalgia and the like). His other movies either created or copied pop culture. Jackie Brown speaks a different language.
    I always saw Jackie Brown as some kind of retro 70s blaxploitation film, but I'd have to see it again. I saw it in high school when it was released and should re-watch it with fresh eyes. It probably is underrated. It's really hard to follow-up something like Pulp Fiction and it probably wasn't what audiences expected or wanted. But I remember it being a good film.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Lately, I'm having dreams where I'm punching Shia La Boof in the face over and over again, and they're really nice and enjoyable dreams. I don't want to wake up.

I have no idea why I apparently hate this guy so much. Can someone convince me that he's a good actor? Why the fuck is this guy on my tv?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Lately, I'm having dreams where I'm punching Shia La Boof in the face over and over again, and they're really nice and enjoyable dreams. I don't want to wake up.

I have no idea why I apparently hate this guy so much. Can someone convince me that he's a good actor? Why the fuck is this guy on my tv?
    I honestly think he is mental. He's been in some blockbuster movies....but I agree his acting is shite for the most part. I liked Eagle Eye. But now he's just a joke with all the weirdness. It's probably dumb, but I feel bad for the kid. I really think he has issuses.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Bill at the end of Kill Bill vol 2 and his rambling speech about Batman.
    I hate to be that guy but it was about Superman and connected really well to the Bride. He explains how Superman wakes up as Superman and has to put on a costume to be Clark Kent, unlike any other superhero, and that try as he may to be a human, he's always going to be Superman. His whole point is that that's who the Bride is -- she could try to get away from being a killer, she could try to get married and have a kid and work in a record store and try to be some average woman, but she would always wake up as Beatrix Kiddo and would always be a killer at heart.

I'd be lying if I said I don't adore QT films but as far as controversial statements revolving him go, I think Django is very overrated and was a huge disappointment to me. It was the first Quentin film that really felt genuinely too long for me, and it attempts a double climax that just fizzled out for me. I was and still am surprised that so many people saw it as a really edgy or daring film, because really it felt like just another QT revenge film. I'm not saying I didn't like it or anything, I did, but I wouldn't at all put it near his best.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    that's fucking awesome. are you serious? lolz.

if you watch nymphomania, you have to see him actually having sex and his actual tool...it's hard to unsee... :/

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    No, I'm not really serious. Unfortunately. I wish my dreams were that awesome.

I just read this and felt sick and irritated beyond belief.

http://laist.com/2014/11/28/shia_lab..._me_during.php

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I hate to be that guy but it was about Superman and connected really well to the Bride. He explains how Superman wakes up as Superman and has to put on a costume to be Clark Kent, unlike any other superhero, and that try as he may to be a human, he's always going to be Superman. His whole point is that that's who the Bride is -- she could try to get away from being a killer, she could try to get married and have a kid and work in a record store and try to be some average woman, but she would always wake up as Beatrix Kiddo and would always be a killer at heart.

I'd be lying if I said I don't adore QT films but as far as controversial statements revolving him go, I think Django is very overrated and was a huge disappointment to me. It was the first Quentin film that really felt genuinely too long for me, and it attempts a double climax that just fizzled out for me. I was and still am surprised that so many people saw it as a really edgy or daring film, because really it felt like just another QT revenge film. I'm not saying I didn't like it or anything, I did, but I wouldn't at all put it near his best.
    My mistake, think I just switched off during the speech, I'm not really a superhero fan or comic / comic book reader except for watching the Superman films, and the Tim Burton batman ones.

I haven't seen any of the Dark Knight trilogy, in fact I haven't seen ANY of Christopher Nolan's films

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    No, I'm not really serious. Unfortunately. I wish my dreams were that awesome.

I just read this and felt sick and irritated beyond belief.

http://laist.com/2014/11/28/shia_lab..._me_during.php
    right?
    i watched it on roku this morning...what a fucking strange weirdo.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    My mistake, think I just switched off during the speech, I'm not really a superhero fan or comic / comic book reader except for watching the Superman films, and the Tim Burton batman ones.

I haven't seen any of the Dark Knight trilogy, in fact I haven't seen ANY of Christopher Nolan's films

I will definitely say that the Burton films are just a small representation of what Batman can be, but if it's not your thing then I definitely won't push, you know your taste far better than I do.

I'm not the biggest Nolan fanboy and I really hate the circlejerk surrounding him online at times, but The Prestige and Inception are well worth a watch, and TDK trilogy has some remarkable aspects that are just beyond worth it. I know it seems like Ledger's Joker has been overrated as all hell, but it really is that good. But like I said, if it's not your thing, it's not your thing, and that's certainly fair, but I'd definitely give those a shot if you're at all interested. The Prestige especially is excellent and has David Bowie as Nikolai Tesla, that alone makes it worth it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I will definitely say that the Burton films are just a small representation of what Batman can be, but if it's not your thing then I definitely won't push, you know your taste far better than I do.

I'm not the biggest Nolan fanboy and I really hate the circlejerk surrounding him online at times, but The Prestige and Inception are well worth a watch, and TDK trilogy has some remarkable aspects that are just beyond worth it. I know it seems like Ledger's Joker has been overrated as all hell, but it really is that good. But like I said, if it's not your thing, it's not your thing, and that's certainly fair, but I'd definitely give those a shot if you're at all interested. The Prestige especially is excellent and has David Bowie as Nikolai Tesla, that alone makes it worth it.
    Yeah it's not like I'm deliberately avoiding them but I just don't tend to go to the cinema (made worse when kids came along) and now I get to go out so little, when I do I want to talk to people not watch a film in silence. But I'm planning on seeing one film this year, it is a toss up between Gone Girl and Interstellar and it will probably be the latter because it's really meant to be seen on the big screen, whereas I feel I could watch gone girl at home and it would be fine

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I fully recommend The Prestige. I loved that film. Much better than the Illusionist, which is also a fine film.

Plus the line with Bale going 'where's duh bloodeh key" is so greatly delivered it always makes me laugh...which is kinda cruel if you've seen it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

if you watch nymphomania, you have to see him actually having sex and his actual tool...it's hard to unsee... :/
    That was actually a body double. They filmed the scenes twice, once with the actors, and once with the doubles. They used CG to splice the two together.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I made it through about twenty minutes of Nymphomaniac Pt 1. I actually usually like Lars Von Trier, but I couldn't stand that movie. It was pretty much the most draining and depressing experience I've ever had watching a movie, and I felt sick afterwards.

and, I just saw that news story that Von Trier is now sober, and he thinks he has to stop making movies now because without the drugs and booze his work would suck. That's really odd...
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-29-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I made it through about twenty minutes of Nymphomaniac Pt 1. I actually usually like Lars Von Trier, but I couldn't stand that movie. It was pretty much the most draining and depressing experience I've ever had watching a movie, and I felt sick afterwards.

and, I just saw that news story that Von Trier is now sober, and he thinks he has to stop making movies now because without the drugs and booze his work would suck. That's really odd...
    Nymphomaniac was...yeah, it was a fucking assault on the senses. It was hard to watch. My wife and i braved the whole fucking thing.
    I've never been so uncomfortable watching a movie...but i think that was the point.
    @raptors661 , i read that today too. And good to meet you.
    @Jinsai , i read the story about Von Trier's sobriety today too.
    He's a strange guy. He was in the news before for talking about how cool Hitler was or something along those lines.
    Bottle of vodka gets him to a parallel universe, ha. Me too...it's where i spent most of my twenties.

What I wanna know is, how did he manage to work drunk all the time?
    I used to drink A LOT, and i could barely handle a desk job for 5 or 6 hours a day.
    How the hell do you drink like that and be an insanely prolific critically acclaimed director, you know?

Also @Jinsai , what other movies of his are good?
    I first became aware of him after watching antichrist, which i found to be the most interesting and provocative, if not the best, movie i had seen in a few years, and that's saying a lot because my wife and i are serious movie buffs. I've seen Melancholia...what else?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Also @Jinsai , what other movies of his are good?
    I first became aware of him after watching antichrist, which i found to be the most interesting and provocative, if not the best, movie i had seen in a few years, and that's saying a lot because my wife and i are serious movie buffs. I've seen Melancholia...what else?
    Have you seen Breaking the Waves or Dancer in the Dark?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Have you seen Breaking the Waves or Dancer in the Dark?
    nope.

thanks, man.

there IS something i'd like to say, but i'm not sure how to put it.

I don't know what to think about rotten tomatoes and metacritic and such.
    At first i thought it was awesome. A-ha! HERE is the DEFINITIVE last word on whether a movie is worth my time or not.

But then i started noticing little things, like, The Devil Inside. I thought it was a GREAT horror movie, but it received like six or 8 percent on RT.
    Another recent movie that i really enjoyed was Apollo 18. Yet it only got 10 or 15 percent.

I'm starting to wish i hadn't discovered the aggregates.

Now don't get me wrong, i don;t think i've found one with a super high score that wasn't good...more often it's good flicks receiving bad scores.

Another one is The Butler: it scored in the sixties. Yet when my wife and i watched it, we were entertained, educated and moved to tears. We figured it would clean up at the oscars. And i thought SURELY it would be in the high nineties...i couldn't imagine someone not liking this movie.

And had i seen that RT score and saw that the subject matter seemed boring, we would not have caught it!

there's controversies in thare sumwheres.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-29-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just watched The Dark Knight and Batman's voice is so silly it takes me out of the film every time he speaks