Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Just making the thread for when new news comes about.

Most recently:

Vince Clarke And Martin L. Gore Announce Details Of Brand New Collaboration - VCMG

After 30 years working on their respective ongoing music projects, Vince Clarke (Erasure / Yazoo / Depeche Mode) and Martin L. Gore (Depeche Mode) come together for the first time since 1981 as VCMG to release a brand new album preceded by a series of EPs.

VCMG is the fruit of initially tentative discussion and subsequent enthused collaboration where Vince and Martin, both influential as pioneers in electronic music, get to exercise their lifelong love of the genre as the techno inspired VCMG.

As Vince explains: "I've been getting into and listening to a lot of minimal dance music and I got really intrigued by all the sounds... I realised I needed a collaborator... so it occurred to me to talk to Martin."

Says Gore: "Out of the blue I got an e-mail from Vince just saying, 'I'm interested in making a techno album. Are you interested in collaborating?' This was maybe a year ago. He said, 'No pressure, no deadlines,' so I said, 'OK'."

The writing and recording of the album was done in a typically unique way with the pair working alone in their respective studios, communicating only via email, exchanging files until the album was ready. It was in May 2011 that the pair met for the first time to discuss the project when they both performed at Short Circuit presents Mute festival in London.

The album (title to be announced soon) was produced by Vince Clarke and Martin L. Gore and mixed by the influential Californian electronic artist Überzone / Q and will be released in the spring of 2012.

The first release is an EP entitled Spock. EP1 / SPOCK will feature remixes from Edit-Select, aka Tony Scott, the UK DJ / producer and founder of EditSelect Records whose previous remix credits include Speedy J, Death In Vegas and Gary Beck; Regis, British techno musician Karl O'Connor, member of the Sandwell District collective and co-founder of Downwards Records); Zak aka DVS1, founder of Hush Records and one of the most prominent figures in US dance music counts techno innovator Derrick May amongst his biggest fans, with his second ever release on May's own Transmat plus XOQ, the alter ego of Überzone / Q, who mixed the VCMG album.

EP1 / SPOCK will be available initially as a global exclusive on Beatport on 30 November, and then on all DSPs from 12 December with the 12" release following on 19 December 2011.

EP1 / SPOCK TRACKLIST
    Spock - Album Version
    Spock - Edit Select Remix
    Spock - Regis Remix
    Spock - DVS1 Voyage Home Remix
    Spock - XOQ Remix

and, U2 cover:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been a longtime U2/ Depeche Mode fan and I was a little disappointed by the cover. I think that they should have covered one of the other songs instead. Hopefully it will grow on me soon. But I'm really excited to see what will come out of VCMG!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    was definitely disappointed with the new u2 cover as well as most of sounds of the universe, but still a killer band. obviously a bigger fan of their earlier material (speak and spell through violator), but they've got some modern day gems, as well.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I love just about everything DM have done from 1984-2005. I was rather embarrassed by the last album and my interest in the earliest material is limited to singles.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I really liked Playing The Angel. But Sounds of the Universe was no good, even though I do like me some Wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well I have to disagree here. I'm more of a 84-11 fan. I loved Sounds of the Universe. I also loved Exciter and my favourite album is Ultra. I can't stand much Speak & Spell and A Broken Frame. I can't wait for their next album! Rumor has it they are having a meeting in January and they will hopefully begin recording in March 2012...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know I’m in the minority on this one, but I love Sounds Of The Universe. I was not really a fan of Exciter or Playing the Angel. I’m still listening to Sounds Of The Universe quite often. I pretty much like everything from Some Great Reward to Ultra.
    I think the U2 cover is alright. I’ve always thought the original was a little too long and obviously think the same about the cover. I think cover and original would benefit by cutting 2 minutes or so off.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    for those not into the earlier material, give the original some bizarre comp. version of 'photographic' a spin, as well as 'tora tora tora' from the LP. among their best tunes, despite being surrounded by a lot of dated tracks. i also recommend a closer glance at 'the sun and the rainfall' from a broken frame.

to amend my last post, i loved playing the angel, and ultra would have made a fantastic EP, IMO.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'll never forgive them for 'Peace'... Anyway, I like 25% of Exciter 72% of PTA and 36% of SOTU.

Hopefully Martin will put aside his retro synth collection and make an album worthy to sit along side Violator and SOFAD. Flood and Wilder producing. Dream on.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i can get behind this entire post.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The only track from SOTU that I remember, let alone enjoy, is "Come Back". PTA is an excellent album and Exciter is at least 75% quality. There's about 4 or 5 tracks on Ultra that I enjoy and the rest is fairly dispensable, so I too believe an EP would've worked well. Songs on Faith and Devotion is my personal favorite, Violator great and all of the 80s albums fantastic IMO (especially Some Great Reward). Just recently gained an appreciation for A Broken Frame after writing it off for years as the worst Depeche album for reasons unknown.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    very happy to hear that, xmd 5a. for a long time, i dismissed speak & spell and construction time again, but have recently found major appreciation for both records. 'told you so' and the aforementioned tracks slay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked SOTU. Didn't love it but I liked a lot more than PTA. My fave will always remain MFTM though. To me that album is just pure perfection.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Most excellent news, thanks Ryan... and thank you Andrew Fletcher!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hands down, one my favorite bands. There isn't a single song I dislike. Most of the remixes are awesome as well.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I wish they would change that effing picture of that retarded looking chick on their home page. it irritates me every time i visit.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    lol

ten characters

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    In the off chance you don't read the Sonoio thread:

Alan Wilder remixed Alessandro Cortini's "Minutes" on the remix version of Red. Free mp3 download on Sonoio's page - sonoio.org (email widget under the mix on the left.) Badass as expected.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ^ Loved his 'Minutes' remix for Sonoio as i do for his In Chains remix. I live in hope Mr Wilder finishes off his remix of 'I Want You Now' I adore the '94 live version. He talks about it in his 'Collected' dvd around 7:00 (below)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    gah, damn country restrictions! Off to find a proxy.

I quit collecting fan-mixes years ago (really liked a lot of yours btw!) but Island did a hell of a good recreation of the 94 live mix (here) as I'm sure you've heard. I was really bummed when they said Alan's mix was unfinished and wouldn't be included. I thought his "In Chains" was just beautiful.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks! Yeah i still do the old fan remixes (it keeps me off the streets.) There's a bit of a love/hate/really hate/I may-just-murder-you-with-an-axe relationship with unofficial remixes etc which is why i keep them out of the forums and leave them on youtube. Anywhoo, i'm hopeful his IWYN remix will be included on the next release somewhere. Would make a great B-side i think.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Looking forward to these, I loved "Spock"

Album | Ssss | March 12th

01 - Lowly
    02 - Zaat
    03 - Spock
    04 - Windup Robot
    05 - Bendy Bass
    06 - Single Blip
    07 - Skip This Track
    08 - Aftermaths
    09 - Recycle
    10 - Flux

EP2 | Single Blip | Feb 27th

01 - Single Blip
    02 - Single Blip - Byetone remix
    03 - Single Blip - Mathew Jonson remix

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Pretty sure this is the best Depeche Mode cover to date.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just saw that clip. How can anyone not like this? It's so cute.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That was just adorably awesome.

EDIT: all three of his videos are awesome, but Everything Counts is the best.
    Last edited by butters; 02-06-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It has been confirmed that the next album, to be recorded in 2012, will be produced again by Ben Hillier: http://wordpress.hotpress.com/themus...or-music-show/

While I would have been interested to hear what they would have done with a new producer, I really loved the last two albums.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That's pretty cool. I heard Martin's interview with the German magazine about the "early 2013" release date (SWEET!) but I didn't hear about Hillier. I think Ben was really good for DM with PTA but I think Martin's "retro/vintage synth" idea took far too much precedence in SOTU and Hillier didn't know what to work with. I like a lot of it, but I really want something different this time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    On the Vince Clark, Martin Gore record it says there is a remix by a MAT JONSON, does this mean MATT JOHNSON as in from THE THE.
    I know Depeche Mode and The The have a long shared history, being on Some Bizarre and touring and having the same vein of music in the 1980's.

But then if that is Matt Johnson from The The....then WOW, words cant express my love for THE THE not so much Depeche Mode, do like them but, not as much...Matt Johnson he has hardly done anything for fucking years, since Naked Self, there have ben rumors he is coming back. So this would be cool.

I like some of this groups material but always found them a bit weird. Love the Underworld Remix for Barrel of a Gun.