Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpathian Psychonaut View Post
    The thing about Come Back is that there are versions to suit everybody, and all of them pretty easily available to find in good quality.

The demo version: more stripped down electronic and direct (possibly my favourite version for it's stereo panning work and general colder tone)

The album version: big brash & dirty, purposefully in-your-face desperate & yearning.

The 'studio sessions' version: cleaner & more soulful with room for the more subtle spot effects to breathe

Dave Gahan's 2007 Hourglass demo version: If anything a more mid-period DM sounding version than the final album one.

Gotta love a bit of Come Back action!

Edit: I forgot the mono Ch3 rip of the vocal track from the 5.1 that is actually pretty good in it's own way. Very clean clear vocals but just some of the distorted guitar & spot work leaking through the same channel.
    Shit, totally forgot about the boxset demo... I always listen to Dave's demo, which is my favorite. The sound of the studio session is awesome, but again it's structure is way too long and plodding for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My favourite version, though messed up at the beginning, is the version they did at the Royal Albert Hall, with the strings section

edit: if you're wondering:

it's simply amazing!
    Last edited by Indefinite_Cure; 03-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I was bored so i made this!

yeah, i know..

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    Shit, totally forgot about the boxset demo... I always listen to Dave's demo, which is my favorite. The sound of the studio session is awesome, but again it's structure is way too long and plodding for me.
    I've always preferred that demo that leaked from 2007 as well. All other versions are, as you say, too long and plodding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved Come Back in it's original version and didn't really think about the "long and prodding" nature much, but since this thread I found the original 2007 and I must say I also agree that it's much better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Excellent work! I know I've gushed over your mixes before, but this was great work.

I loved the darkness and aggression added to them all, especially NLMDA. New Dress too, but it got a smidge loud on my first listen. IFL got some much needed balls! Nice job! Not a big fan of the vocal/rhythm change-ups in Policy of Truth, but I know it's a stylistic choice that I'll never get. It's me not you, no worries, you handled it well. Great job all around!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Cheers! appreciate the feedback.

Yeah i usually try to be a bit aggressive, it's nice to try something different while everyone else and their pets make club mixes..

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    VCMG EP3 / Aftermaths cover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Just playing the downloaded v5 collection and.......wow!

To be honest, there are so many DM remix packs put out by people that I kinda started to stop bothering with them a few years ago. You get kinda snow-blind, you know?
    After giving these a go I'm now grabbing your others to catch up. No way I'm passing these by!

One of the things I love most is how the tracks hold together as an album, even though they're originally from different eras.

Top, top work.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Forgot how good this Dave solo b-side is.

One last kiss, one last time. Tomorrow will come... all too soon.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.depeche-mode.com/forum/in...?topic=28574.0

"1st DM recording session now completed, the guys are now having a break until June. Ferg Peterkin is involved again."

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    helluva tune:

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    The only thing I want to hear from this thread is: "new DM album will be released on..."

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    I think "Peace" is a great song in the studio. It however, was pretty damn weak live. The intro was one of the few goosebumps moments during my first listen-through of SOTU in fact, so yeah, to each his own right.
    Yep I love the intro too. Just before it kicks in there's what sounds (to me) like a little bit of (intentional) detuning, perhaps referencing the analogue vibe that runs through the whole album.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/aust...ian_tour_hopes

Speaking to inthemix down the line recently, Fletcher expressed his disappointment at not playing in Australia since the ‘90s.

“It’s always been a bit of a blight on our career that we haven’t been to Australia that many times,” Fletcher told inthemix. “We know a lot of Australian people so that makes it even worse. We tried to get over on our last tour, but Dave [Gahan] had a bit of a bad time and we couldn’t make it” he said before offering a bit of hope by saying that the band are “definitely going to try and get across in future”.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.depeche-mode.com/forum/in...topic=28577.10

""Some songs are classic" Christoffer Berg fixes Depeche Mode's new sound.
    http://translate.google.cz/translate...ar-depeche-nya

Probably interview with CB but I can´t open link in article, maybe some one of our Swedish friends can help"

>

"The article (if it's the same as the printed one) basically says Christoffer is programming the keyboards for the band. He's contracted for 4 sessions. The songs are exceptional and some will be classics."

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.nme.com/news/depeche-mode/63636

Photo: Press
    Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan has confirmed that the band should finish work on their new album later this year.

Speaking to Spin, the frontman said that that sessions on the as-yet-untitled new LP were progressing quickly and that there was "no reason" why the record shouldn't be completed by the end of 2012.

Gahan, who previously said that the recording sessions on the album were "very different" to the way they had worked in the past, said: "We've probably got 20 songs demoed. Some of the songs are in really good shape, some need some work, but we're definitely on track."

He went on to add:
    We have a deadline of the end of November, and there's no reason why we won't meet that at the rate we're going.
    The singer, who paid tribute to Fever Ray producer Christopher Berg for his work on the album so far and his "fantastic ideas", also said it was likely that the band would play live shows in 2013, stating: "There are already plans in place to be touring next year."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And here I thought Sounds of the Universe may have been the last one. I'm so glad I was wrong.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Dave Gahan has confirmed... there was "no reason" why the record shouldn't be completed by the end of 2012.
    Fuck yeah!

Christopher Berg...
    Cool! I liked what Kurt Uenala did with Dave so I was hoping for more, but Berg could be cool.

"There are already plans in place to be touring next year."
    Fuck! I need money......

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I really hope they mix the set list up a lot this tour. But Not Tonight, Freestate, Insight (album version), come awn...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, the last tour was the exact same setlist as the playing the angel tour, aside from a few new songs and swapping in one or two "old singles." they gotta start mixing it up more. could do without ever heairng 'home' live again...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yep, I won't get started on my "don't wanna hear" list... but let's just say it does include PJ. I wish they'd treat it like Trent does with Closer - ie. use it sparingly in the appropriate settings or not at all. Wishful thinking I know. Sadly they will never play BNT. For some reason they do not like that song (something about recording it quickly in a day) but I know it was popular in the US, so it'd be a nice live surprise around here!

Honestly, my biggest critique for live shows — NEED DIFFERENT MIXES! They've settled into "live mixes" that are very good, but getting very predictable.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, i used to love the split/aggro mix of 'never let me down again' but now i can't listen to it anymore for that very reason. there was that quote from fletch, of all people, who wanted to mix things up a lot more, but it looks like martin's the one who wants to keep it safe as houses. i get that some people are seeing them for the first time- but they have enough classic tracks that they could still play a few mega-crowd pleasures and keep it fresh for the old fans.

i could mostly do without hearing the songs of faith and devotion mega-hits at this point...and 'home' bears repeating again.

that said, seeing the some bizarre mix of 'photographic' at jones beach was a very welcome surprise!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Please, no more I FEEL YOU! Change it to Rush or something ffs.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I 2nd the request for Rush!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    just got this mix via the new life 12''. can't wait to drop it tonight:

PS- happy 50th, gahan!
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 05-09-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: grandpa's birthday

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Ah "Shout," one of the hidden gems from the early era. Better than many of the singles.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I bought a b sides and rarities disc once, which I think is actually a boot.

http://www.discogs.com/Depeche-Mode-...release/790001

I don't know why they never released an official thing like this, apart from maybe extracting as much cash as possible from fans (see: single reissues). The only complaint I have is I have no idea of the provenance of the tracks (vinyl rips for the earlier b sides or sourced some other way? Cd rips for later ones, or second gen mp3 encodes found on the net?)

Their b sides rock.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    they can play the entire sofad record for all i care. i'd probably die to relive that show...