Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1088

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    The Dead of night
    I love that song. I Feel Loved is another favorite. It's just such a chill album compared to the others.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I really wanna hear some deep cuts like “Dangerous” but I know it won’t happen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I love that song. I Feel Loved is another favorite. It's just such a chill album compared to the others.
    Itís a shame I Feel Loved got scrapped from the live sets even while they were still touring the album, never to return...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    The Dead of night 👍🏼
    The Sweetest Condition! 👍🏻

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I really wanna hear some deep cuts like “Dangerous” but I know it won’t happen.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Slicing Up Eyeballs is reporting that Vince won't be attending, quoting either Erasure's site or a fan site I can't really tell which. Really hope at least Alan will be persuaded to show up.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Slicing Up Eyeballs is reporting that Vince won't be attending, quoting either Erasure's site or a fan site I can't really tell which. Really hope at least Alan will be persuaded to show up.
    I wonder why? He doesn’t feel like he contributed enough to be worthy? Or would rather be part of Erasure being inducted?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Vince lasted 1 year in a 40 year career and 1 album out of 14....He really had nothing to do with their success considering they drastically altered their sound and image after he left.....But he could have at least showed up and played "Photographic" with them and them split

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Vince lasted 1 year in a 40 year career and 1 album out of 14....He really had nothing to do with their success considering they drastically altered their sound and image after he left.....But he could have at least showed up and played "Photographic" with them and them split
    Kind of odd that the HoF even wants him yet they don't want Atticus inducted with NIN when he's been around for like 15 years with 8 albums/eps under his belt. I guess the difference is Vince was there at the beginning?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    He contributed to Just Cant Get Enough, which they still play. Yeah, he wasn't around long. But, would there even be a band if he hadn't been there? He's pretty important imo.

Really crossing my fingers more for Wilder though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Kind of odd that the HoF even wants him yet they don't want Atticus inducted with NIN when he's been around for like 15 years with 8 albums/eps under his belt. I guess the difference is Vince was there at the beginning?
    It seems like it's probably up to a monkey throwing darts at a board, but they generally go for founding members, and then either notable and/or current members. I have no logical explanation for why Atticus is shafted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    so I grew up with my parents being big DM fans. as a kid in the late 80's and into the 90's, they were in constant rotation (along with The Cure, New Order, NIN etc) . I remember the "I Feel You" video as a kid being really awesome. but I can't say I was a fan of theirs or their music spoke to me the way The Cure and NIN did, who of course I became massive fans of.

the only DM I have listened to on my own the past few years was Songs of Faith and Devotion (awesome era) ...I remember my mom wearing out that album t-shirt. oh, and "Just Can't Get Enough" which might be one of the catchiest songs ever.

with the R&R nomination, I decided to dig into them deeper and I'm really getting into them now after watching a few videos on YT. so what's the best way to dive into them? start from the beginning and work my way up?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Beginning might be a little rough... They were really tweeny synth pop for quite a few years. Some Great Reward is when they really started getting great IMO. Some nice almost industrial type sounds in there; Lie to Me in particular is something I bet Trent was even initially inspired by.

I feel like with Black Celebration and on they were like a completely different band. Violator is essential, a practically perfect album and something that everyone should own honestly.

Have fun discovering! I think Singles 86>98 was my first real exposure to them. There's been some missteps along the way, but they're really a fucking fantastic group. Martin's consistent ability to craft a melodic hook is almost unmatched.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just start listening to their albums really. SOFAD is also my go to, so maybe you'll like my favorites:
    SOFAD
    Violator
    Playing the Angel
    Ultra
    Music for the Masses
    Black Celebration
    Delta Machine

The remix singles from the Violator, SOFAD, & Ultra eras are pretty good too (especially SOFAD - In Your Room & Walking in My Shoes are particularly strong and probably have a lot of remixes from other artists you may be familiar with such as Portishead).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If you like Pretty Hate Machine there is a good chance you will like Violator too.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    If you think Purest Feeling is a masterpiece then you will dig their 1st couple of albums.....Some Great Reward is the beginning of the darker more industrial era and their 1st strong album beginning to end. Black Celebration is their first masterpiece. Music For The Masses picks up where Black Celebration left off. Violator is their "Downward Spiral". The pinnacle.....SOFAD is their 'Fragile". The arty more experimental masterpiece following up the best album they will ever write. Ultra is great. Playing The Angel is in a similar vein as Ultra....'Exciter' is their Hesitation Marks. More mellow and laid back and half the fanbase thinks its utter shit. Sounds of The Universe, Delta Machine and Spirit are hit or miss (as is their first 3 albums)....They have a few average albums but I dont think they have 1 "bad" album in the discography but I am biased considering they are probably my 3rd favorite band. Even their average albums have some cool shit on there (Their 2nd album is considered by many to be their worst album and there are at least 2 or 3 gems on it)....The general consensus by a lot of fans is that they fell off after Ultra or PTA. I disagree. They may be riding on cruise control post 2009 but they are still relevant
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell; 01-21-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    They’re also one of those bands that have amazing b-sides like The Cure that scarcely get played live. Case in point:

And then there are songs that are amazing unto themselves when originally sung by Dave, then Martin will do them live as a ballad and they become a brand new masterpiece all over again. More cases in point:

And then there are just beautiful instrumentals. The first that comes to mind is:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    (Their 2nd album is considered by many to be their worst album and there are at least 2 or 3 gems on it)
    True, like instrumental Nothing To Fear:

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    why does everyone always skip over Construction Time Again? i think it's a more solid album than Some Great Reward (which has some real bummers on it), it has the beginnings of the industrial-tinged/darker sound ("more than a party" & "pipeline"), but it's still fun to listen to all the way through. Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    thank you everyone!! I'm so excited to dig into them, will have a lot more free time to do so starting tomorrow night!

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Just a random note... I took SOFAD in for my kindergarten show and tell back in 93. lmao.

Anyone gonna get that stupid ass black boxset?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    Anyone gonna get that stupid ass black boxset?
    I ordered it despite it being a total fucking waste of money. Justified it on the basis that I didnít buy the vinyl singles boxes and, oh boy, one unreleased track!

Would it have killed them to scrape some of the content that hasnít been available since they pulled The Complete DM from iTunes? Sigh...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    @versusreality - you should also check out Dave and Martin’s solo work. Basically, Martin did the majority of the songwriting (not counting their debut album where Vince Clarke did all the songwriting except for “Big Muff” and “Tora! Tora! Tora! - both written by Martin), up until 2001 with “Exciter”. Dave released his first solo album “Paper Monsters” in 2003, and since then at least 3 songs have been written by Dave on all subsequent albums. Some tracks are also co-written by the two, like “Oh Well” and “Long Time Lie” - those both being bonus track b-sides.

On all albums since the beginning, Martin has sung usually 2 songs per album, with the exception of “Speak & Spell” (their debut, only singing on “Any Second Now (Voices)” and only singing “Shouldn’t Have Done That” on the their second album “A Broken Frame”. On “Black Celebration” there was the rare exception where Martin sang 4 songs: “A Question of Lust,” “Sometimes,” “It Doesn’t Matter Two” (named as such because a song called “It Doesn’t Matter” appeared on “Some Great Reward” in 1984), and “World Full of Nothing”.

The the two solo albums Martin has released (not counting the all instrumental stuff with Vince Clarke called VCMG) have all been cover songs: “Counterfeit ep” came out in the 80’s and “Counterfeit 2” came out the same year as Dave’s first solo album in 2003. All beautifully sung covers. There is also a cover of the Leonard Cohen song “Coming Back To You” that was put out as it’s own thing.

Dave’s solo stuff is definitely more interesting and has great b-sides to boot: “Paper Monsters” released in 2003, “Hourglass” in 2007, and then two collaborations with Soulsavers where Dave sings and writes all the songs and lyrics: “The Light The Dead See” (2012) and “Angels & Ghosts” in 2015, plus a bunch of other one-off guest vocals on a variety of songs for other artists. Some Dave solo songs that are my favourite you might dig:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    I ordered it despite it being a total fucking waste of money. Justified it on the basis that I didn’t buy the vinyl singles boxes and, oh boy, one unreleased track!

Would it have killed them to scrape some of the content that hasn’t been available since they pulled The Complete DM from iTunes? Sigh...
    Which box set are we talking about and what is the bonus track? Back before SOTU came out @butters and I got all the stuff together from The Complete Depeche Mode and even made some of our own custom artwork for the still as yet unreleased singles box sets for the 2001 era and beyond. I have everything from that if you need something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This garbage: http://www.depechemode.com/article/d...e-mode-box-set

The Highline Session version of Heroes is the track I referred to. They couldnít even be bothered to include the other songs performed there. One of many missed opportunities.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yea. I'm not really sure who the target audience for that is.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    This garbage: http://www.depechemode.com/article/d...e-mode-box-set

The Highline Session version of Heroes is the track I referred to. They couldn’t even be bothered to include the other songs performed there. One of many missed opportunities.
    Ah, ok. Cool that they’re including the original version of Death’s Door.

I’m not a huge audiophile so I’d just rip the audio for the YouTube video for the “Heroes” cover.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    I think I'm just more frustrated on how many remasters they have done on their back catalog... I mean, how many times can you optimize the sound... Repackage the same shit every single time.

You had the 2007 remasters... Remasters on vinyl... Remasters of the singles... This black box that is pretty much just the artwork updated to be black from every album. I am just baffled by the stuff they put out. Plus in this box they have all be remastered AGAIN. Beating of a dead horse...

If they really want to bring something to the fans. Give us that World Violation Tour video. As unpolished as they might think it is, it will be better than any of those live shows they have put out in the last 20 years. (I did like One Night In Paris though)

Just an old, sour Depeche fan here. lol.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I think I'm just more frustrated on how many remasters they have done on their back catalog... I mean, how many times can you optimize the sound... Repackage the same shit every single time.

You had the 2007 remasters... Remasters on vinyl... Remasters of the singles... This black box that is pretty much just the artwork updated to be black from every album. I am just baffled by the stuff they put out. Plus in this box they have all be remastered AGAIN. Beating of a dead horse...
    Are they actually optimizing these remasters or just making them louder? I love this David Bowie example:

https://connyolivetti.files.wordpres...-waveforms.pdf

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Are they actually optimizing these remasters or just making them louder? I love this David Bowie example:

https://connyolivetti.files.wordpres...-waveforms.pdf
    Oh god... That 2017 one looks real bad in terms of waveform. It's sad thats what people go after now is just making it louder.

Seems like BRAT was on the transfers for many of these masters. Not sure if they used the remasters. But it seems like they are all new transfers from briefly looking at posts from him about it.