Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1622

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    It's a shame that Depeche Mode became so big they'll never be able to do in-your-face no-production tour with Wave Goodbye/CABAI-style setlists full of random deep cuts. I'd take shit like New Life, Pipeline and My Secret Garden over Enjoy and Jesus any day.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    It's a shame that Depeche Mode became so big they'll never be able to do in-your-face no-production tour with Wave Goodbye/CABAI-style setlists full of random deep cuts. I'd take shit like New Life, Pipeline and My Secret Garden over Enjoy and Jesus any day.

I been saying for years I wish they would do a low key tour playing deep cuts.......I get the feeling Dave would be into it but Martin and Fletch would not even wanna bother

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I been saying for years I wish they would do a low key tour playing deep cuts.......I get the feeling Dave would be into it but Martin and Fletch would not even wanna bother
    I was kind of thinking the exact opposite; Dave only seems bothered to sing the usuals every tour while Martin is the one to go more out on a limb with his acoustic segments, even doing some songs that Dave originally sang (But Not Tonight, Shake the Disease, Leave in Silence etc.). Even Master + Servant and Strangelove didn't stick around very long on the Tour of the Universe. And with that being said, it's hard to call even many of those deep cuts..

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I was kind of thinking the exact opposite; Dave only seems bothered to sing the usuals every tour while Martin is the one to go more out on a limb with his acoustic segments, even doing some songs that Dave originally sang (But Not Tonight, Shake the Disease, Leave in Silence etc.). Even Master + Servant and Strangelove didn't stick around very long on the Tour of the Universe. And with that being said, it's hard to call even many of those deep cuts..
    Or In Sympathy (1 or 2 times, lol).

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Hadn’t seen this before.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Later today:
    LiVE SPiRiTS: Depeche Mode at the Waldbühne, Berlin

(one time, I think it won't be available later)

Edit: I am confused by all the people in chat "screaming" things like "omg best concert ever"... lying on purpose, or just deaf, or... I just don't understand.
    Last edited by Substance242; 06-26-2020 at 02:42 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who loves Delta Machine. I would agree and say it's their best work since PTA. It's not perfect, but it's one of the few later era DM albums I like and remember. Ones like Exciter and Ultra are just forgettable to me. Even though there are some good songs on there, there's little about them that makes me want to listen to those albums. And I could not get into Spirit. It's got some good tracks, but it just bored me. It was such a disappointment because I was really looking forward to that album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd say after Alan left, their run from Ultra to Sounds of the Universe is pretty awesome. I've always loved the sound and production of Exciter since I first started listening to it, and the album's got this really tranquil and minimalist vibe that comes through really well on songs like Freelove and Goodnight Lovers. I reckon Comatose is a heaps underrated Martin song too.

I used to think Playing the Angel was kinda underwhelming, but then it grew on me, and I starting loving every track. For a modern day DM record, it's pretty much flawless. Nothing's Impossible, Damaged People, and The Sinner in Me are all fantastic. I think it's the last DM album that's been impressive all the way through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    I didn't really listen to their albums after Playing the Angel. I'll listen to them later today though. I was pretty obsessed with this band between like 15-18 years old. I used to watch the Devotional tour dvd all the time.
    Sound of the Universe isn't great, it's better than Exciter but still their second weakest album post-Alan leaving.

This is my ranking of their post-1995 material:

1. Ultra
    2. Playing The Angel
    3. Spirit
    4. Delta Machine
    5. Sounds of the Universe
    6. Exciter

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Interesting to see the differences in what people like and don't care for. I did like Spirit a lot, maybe the most since PTA. I'll probably go and listen to some of the solo stuff the band members did. Something I always wanted to do. I've heard some Recoil and love it but that's been it.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    Interesting to see the differences in what people like and don't care for. I did like Spirit a lot, maybe the most since PTA. I'll probably go and listen to some of the solo stuff the band members did. Something I always wanted to do. I've heard some Recoil and love it but that's been it.
    You’re really missing out!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yes the solo stuff is quite good too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Fletch's solo material:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    After underwhelming "Spirits in the forrest" concert above, I finally found time for very loud "Songs of Faith and Devotion LIVE" last evening as an antidote because I was really craving it, and... aaah... this was so good, yes...! The intro to "I Feel You" is playing in my head for 2 hours straight this morning. :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I only watched a bit of Spirits in the Forest and it was okay. Didn't seem like anything amazing. I'd be interested in watching the concert again, but the whole bit following the various fans in the documentary doesn't interest me. That's why I don't like 101. The concert is great, but I don't care about the fans traveling to these shows.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    What I love about 101 is that it's so deliciously 80s. Takes me right back to my childhood when I see the hair and clothing and shit. And there's a lot of funny stuff that happens in it, too. My very favorite moment being when Mia (the girl with long curly blonde hair) gets on the bus and all her mom can say to her in the way of advice/warning is, "Don't dance too much." Awesome.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    You’re really missing out!

Also, pick your poison. I prefer the Das Shadow rewerk (the second one). No ‘album version’ has been released:

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Live Depeche in the 80s certainly had a cheese element to it....At least visually....I love hearing their audio boots from that era but it is hard to watch the live videos without cringing.....Violator tour and especially SOFAD tour is when they really become a dynamic live act and cut out the cheese factor element

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    SOFAD is my favorite era

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    SOFAD is my favorite era
    Same, same. Everything about it was awesome. Well, everything but the fact that the band was absolutely falling apart. But musically and aesthetically, they were firing on all cylinders.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Same, same. Everything about it was awesome. Well, everything but the fact that the band was absolutely falling apart. But musically and aesthetically, they were firing on all cylinders.
    I remember seeing Devotional for the first time when I was 16 or 17 and absolutely fell in love with Higher Love live. That intro gives me goosebumps every. single. time.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Are DM having anything special for the Hall of Fame?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Are DM having anything special for the Hall of Fame?

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ibit-on-Friday

Martin donated his First Act star-shaped guitar, apparently. I would hope there's more, but that's all the article mentions.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Love a bit of Poirot, so glad to hear Policy Of Truth pop up in the new Death On The Nile trailer.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Love a bit of Poirot, so glad to hear Policy Of Truth pop up in the new Death On The Nile trailer.
    i also love poirot (as does my wife) but i do not like brannagh as poirot. and his version of the mustache just looks fucking ridiculous.
    alas, this is my favorite poirot story, so i might watch it anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ooh that mix sounds nice! Hopefully it gets a release

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i do not like brannagh as poirot.
    Yeah to be honest Brannagh rubs me the wrong way a bit generally so skipped 'Murder...' but yes I'm inclined to check this one out.
    Uh, maybe we'll get a DM cameo as a band on the boat [just to keep this on topic]? I can see Dave spruced up all nice as a jazz singer.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Honestly I think this remix SUCKS.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Shocked Dave has not dropped any new info about a new solo album yet. Its been 4 years since the last one