Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38
Results 1,111 to 1,137 of 1137

Thread: Depeche Mode

  1. #1111
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,403
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    I didn't really listen to their albums after Playing the Angel. I'll listen to them later today though. I was pretty obsessed with this band between like 15-18 years old. I used to watch the Devotional tour dvd all the time.
    a lot of people really don't like sounds of the universe but i think it's their last great album. not as good as playing the angel, but still pretty great.

  2. #1112
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think the last few albums have better highlights than being anywhere close to solid albums. In Chains, Secret to the End, No More (This Is the Last Time) are my personal faves!

  3. #1113
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah Delta is a definately their best effort post PTA but even Delta could use dropping a couple of tracks to tighten things up a bit. Could never get into Spirit though and i tried. I Imagine they have one album left and i really hope they bring those classic hooks back, less crooning more melody!

  4. #1114
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Playing The Angel is amazing...It definitely picks up where Ultra left off and leaves Exciter in the dust. 'Precious' is vintage DM. And the 2005/2006 tour is probably my favorite tour of theirs. They were firing on all cylinders around 05-06 and Dave carried that momentum to his solo album 'Hourglass' which is basically like PTA Part 2..............The last few albums have some great moments and don't deserve the hate they get although none come close to their 80s/90s/PTA heyday....Apparently I am one of the few who thought Spirit was good

  5. #1115
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, I did listen to Spirit and Sounds of the Universe today. I actually enjoyed them a lot - Spirit more than SOTU though. There is something cool about the homemade sound of the albums - it sounds almost like they recorded the album in a makeshift studio on their own. It's still very sophisticated though. I think Dave got better as a singer with age. I remember he took vocal lessons pretty seriously around the PTA era.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Playing The Angel is amazing...It definitely picks up where Ultra left off and leaves Exciter in the dust. 'Precious' is vintage DM. And the 2005/2006 tour is probably my favorite tour of theirs. They were firing on all cylinders around 05-06 and Dave carried that momentum to his solo album 'Hourglass' which is basically like PTA Part 2..............The last few albums have some great moments and don't deserve the hate they get although none come close to their 80s/90s/PTA heyday....Apparently I am one of the few who thought Spirit was good
    Yeah I remember getting Exciter on CD and feeling like they could do better, though there were some songs I liked like I Feel Loved. PTA had some good tunes on it - felt they did better on it since they let Dave in on the writing process more. That excitement and enthusiasm probably was infectious to the whole album making.

  6. #1116
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,284
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It's a shame that Depeche Mode became so big they'll never be able to do in-your-face no-production tour with Wave Goodbye/CABAI-style setlists full of random deep cuts. I'd take shit like New Life, Pipeline and My Secret Garden over Enjoy and Jesus any day.

  7. #1117
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    It's a shame that Depeche Mode became so big they'll never be able to do in-your-face no-production tour with Wave Goodbye/CABAI-style setlists full of random deep cuts. I'd take shit like New Life, Pipeline and My Secret Garden over Enjoy and Jesus any day.

    I been saying for years I wish they would do a low key tour playing deep cuts.......I get the feeling Dave would be into it but Martin and Fletch would not even wanna bother

  8. #1118
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I been saying for years I wish they would do a low key tour playing deep cuts.......I get the feeling Dave would be into it but Martin and Fletch would not even wanna bother
    I was kind of thinking the exact opposite; Dave only seems bothered to sing the usuals every tour while Martin is the one to go more out on a limb with his acoustic segments, even doing some songs that Dave originally sang (But Not Tonight, Shake the Disease, Leave in Silence etc.). Even Master + Servant and Strangelove didn't stick around very long on the Tour of the Universe. And with that being said, it's hard to call even many of those deep cuts..

  9. #1119
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,547
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I was kind of thinking the exact opposite; Dave only seems bothered to sing the usuals every tour while Martin is the one to go more out on a limb with his acoustic segments, even doing some songs that Dave originally sang (But Not Tonight, Shake the Disease, Leave in Silence etc.). Even Master + Servant and Strangelove didn't stick around very long on the Tour of the Universe. And with that being said, it's hard to call even many of those deep cuts..
    Or In Sympathy (1 or 2 times, lol).

  10. #1120
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,547
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Hadn’t seen this before.


  11. #1121
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    886
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Later today:
    LiVE SPiRiTS: Depeche Mode at the Waldbühne, Berlin

    (one time, I think it won't be available later)

    Edit: I am confused by all the people in chat "screaming" things like "omg best concert ever"... lying on purpose, or just deaf, or... I just don't understand.
    Last edited by Substance242; 06-26-2020 at 02:42 AM.

  12. #1122
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who loves Delta Machine. I would agree and say it's their best work since PTA. It's not perfect, but it's one of the few later era DM albums I like and remember. Ones like Exciter and Ultra are just forgettable to me. Even though there are some good songs on there, there's little about them that makes me want to listen to those albums. And I could not get into Spirit. It's got some good tracks, but it just bored me. It was such a disappointment because I was really looking forward to that album.

  13. #1123
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd say after Alan left, their run from Ultra to Sounds of the Universe is pretty awesome. I've always loved the sound and production of Exciter since I first started listening to it, and the album's got this really tranquil and minimalist vibe that comes through really well on songs like Freelove and Goodnight Lovers. I reckon Comatose is a heaps underrated Martin song too.

    I used to think Playing the Angel was kinda underwhelming, but then it grew on me, and I starting loving every track. For a modern day DM record, it's pretty much flawless. Nothing's Impossible, Damaged People, and The Sinner in Me are all fantastic. I think it's the last DM album that's been impressive all the way through.

  14. #1124
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    I didn't really listen to their albums after Playing the Angel. I'll listen to them later today though. I was pretty obsessed with this band between like 15-18 years old. I used to watch the Devotional tour dvd all the time.
    Sound of the Universe isn't great, it's better than Exciter but still their second weakest album post-Alan leaving.

    This is my ranking of their post-1995 material:

    1. Ultra
    2. Playing The Angel
    3. Spirit
    4. Delta Machine
    5. Sounds of the Universe
    6. Exciter

  15. #1125
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,547
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

  16. #1126
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Interesting to see the differences in what people like and don't care for. I did like Spirit a lot, maybe the most since PTA. I'll probably go and listen to some of the solo stuff the band members did. Something I always wanted to do. I've heard some Recoil and love it but that's been it.

  17. #1127
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,547
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    Interesting to see the differences in what people like and don't care for. I did like Spirit a lot, maybe the most since PTA. I'll probably go and listen to some of the solo stuff the band members did. Something I always wanted to do. I've heard some Recoil and love it but that's been it.
    You’re really missing out!


  18. #1128
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes the solo stuff is quite good too.


  19. #1129
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fletch's solo material:


  20. #1130
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    886
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    After underwhelming "Spirits in the forrest" concert above, I finally found time for very loud "Songs of Faith and Devotion LIVE" last evening as an antidote because I was really craving it, and... aaah... this was so good, yes...! The intro to "I Feel You" is playing in my head for 2 hours straight this morning. :-)

  21. #1131
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I only watched a bit of Spirits in the Forest and it was okay. Didn't seem like anything amazing. I'd be interested in watching the concert again, but the whole bit following the various fans in the documentary doesn't interest me. That's why I don't like 101. The concert is great, but I don't care about the fans traveling to these shows.

  22. #1132
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    905
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    What I love about 101 is that it's so deliciously 80s. Takes me right back to my childhood when I see the hair and clothing and shit. And there's a lot of funny stuff that happens in it, too. My very favorite moment being when Mia (the girl with long curly blonde hair) gets on the bus and all her mom can say to her in the way of advice/warning is, "Don't dance too much." Awesome.

  23. #1133
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,547
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    You’re really missing out!

    Also, pick your poison. I prefer the Das Shadow rewerk (the second one). No ‘album version’ has been released:




  24. #1134
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Live Depeche in the 80s certainly had a cheese element to it....At least visually....I love hearing their audio boots from that era but it is hard to watch the live videos without cringing.....Violator tour and especially SOFAD tour is when they really become a dynamic live act and cut out the cheese factor element

  25. #1135
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Shitty San Diego
    Posts
    2,969
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    SOFAD is my favorite era

  26. #1136
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    905
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    SOFAD is my favorite era
    Same, same. Everything about it was awesome. Well, everything but the fact that the band was absolutely falling apart. But musically and aesthetically, they were firing on all cylinders.

  27. #1137
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Shitty San Diego
    Posts
    2,969
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Same, same. Everything about it was awesome. Well, everything but the fact that the band was absolutely falling apart. But musically and aesthetically, they were firing on all cylinders.
    I remember seeing Devotional for the first time when I was 16 or 17 and absolutely fell in love with Higher Love live. That intro gives me goosebumps every. single. time.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions