Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Bit about Trent Reznor liking DM and them being an influence for PHM on the DM Facebook page

Pretty Hate Machine changed my life. I knew immediately that NIN would play a pivotal role in the soundtrack of my life. So when asked to host Depeche Mode’s page, I hoped that Trent would contribute ANYTHING to my effort. Without DM & NIN, I would have been lost in a sea of confusing electronica / industrial music during my formative years. They both continue to deliver some of the best tunes of our generations. Trent sent me this email this morning, and it further deepened our connection; Black Celebration is still my favorite album top to bottom."It was the summer of ’86. I’d dropped out of college and was living in Cleveland trying to find my way in the local music scene. I knew where I wanted to go with my life but I didn’t know how to get there. A group of friends and I drove down to Blossom Music Center amphitheater to see the Black Celebration tour. DM was one of our favorite bands and the Black Celebration record took my love for them to a new level.
    I’ve thought about that night a lot over the years. It was a perfect summer night and I was in exactly the right place I was supposed to be. The music, the energy, the audience, the connection… it was spiritual and truly magic. I left that show grateful, humbled, energized, focused, and in awe of how powerful and transformative music can be… and I started writing what would eventually become Pretty Hate Machine.
    Many times, particularly when we’re playing an amphitheater, I’ll think of that show while I’m onstage and hope someone in the audience is in the midst of a perfect summer night feeling how DM made me feel so many years ago." - Trent Reznor

Posted by:

Tony Hawk

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I really like this story that Trent wrote about attending an 86 Depeche Mode concert, a lot of what he wrote, I myself have identified with some of those same feelings leaving some of my favorite concerts that I have attended. The feelings of being grateful, humbled, energized, focused and awe are the same feelings I have had leaving some of my favorite concerts and two of them would include Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Why are these set lists so boring! And the Martin songs, change them up. Not even Eternal or Fail have appeared. Boring, boring, boring. All repeated crap from prior tours.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This tour seems like it's only worth seeing if you've not caught a DM show before or happen to really, really love Spirit. Didn't the Delta Machine tour have way more variation than this? I'm still kicking myself for never seeing that acoustic version of But Not Tonight.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    It's kind of known what you're getting at a DM shows these days though, isn't it? A handful of tracks from the album they're supporting, all the big hits, and maybe a surprise or two if you're lucky. It's been a solid stratagem for them since the Exciter days..
    Since this tour will be the first time I get to see them, I'll take that! I know it's not exciting, but I do want to hear some of those old hits!!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    http://www.nme.com/news/music/depech...um-gig-2083739

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    UK and Ireland shows announced, onsale Friday.

Wed November 15 2017 – DUBLIN 3Arena
    Fri November 17 2017 – MANCHESTER Manchester Arena
    Sun November 19 2017 – BIRMINGHAM Barclaycard Arena
    Wed November 22 2017 – LONDON O2 Arena

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Gave Songs of Faith and Devotion a listen recently, and now it might be one of my top DM albums. It really grew on me. I didn't think it was one of their best efforts when I first started listening to Depeche Mode, but now, everything is awesomely textured and dark. Judas is one of the best Martin songs, Higher Love is a great closer, Mercy in You fucking rocks, and the album version of In Your Room is brilliant in the way that it gradually builds. The Zephyr mix is just as good too.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    Gave Songs of Faith and Devotion a listen recently, and now it might be one of my top DM albums. It really grew on me. I didn't think it was one of their best efforts when I first started listening to Depeche Mode, but now, everything is awesomely textured and dark. Judas is one of the best Martin songs, Higher Love is a great closer, Mercy in You fucking rocks, and the album version of In Your Room is brilliant in the way that it gradually builds. The Zephyr mix is just as good too.
    i don't really like any of the songs on there individually (except maybe "rush" and "walking in my shoes") but i love the album as a whole when i listen to it all the way through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As a 21-year-old who has grown up listening to and loving Depeche Mode, I am super stoked to finally be seeing them live on Thursday -- and in St. Petersburg, Russia of all places!! A bit sad that it's far past the time when they ever had imaginative setlists, but hey, I can't complain at this point, as long as they've still got the energy.

I will say though that, reading this thread, I feel like I'm the only one for whom Spirit has not proven to be much of a grower. It sounded unfinished and cheesy the first time I heard it, and it still sounds unfinished and cheesy when I listen to it now. It's still good, I guess, but if they weren't Depeche Mode, there's no way I'd be seeing this supporting tour.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Roland KEYBOARD RIGS: ON STAGE WITH DEPECHE MODE

5:08 "...two songs that I wrote, Cover Me and Poison Heart." :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    I will say though that, reading this thread, I feel like I'm the only one for whom Spirit has not proven to be much of a grower. It sounded unfinished and cheesy the first time I heard it, and it still sounds unfinished and cheesy when I listen to it now. It's still good, I guess, but if they weren't Depeche Mode, there's no way I'd be seeing this supporting tour.
    I really don't like it at all, and I have been extolling the virtues of DM since I was about 7 or 8 years old. I'm 35 now. I always give the longest possible time trying to like every release they put out, but this is doing nothing for me so far.

I feel like they have lost a bit of their original spirit (excuse the pun) over the last couple of albums. In fact Playing the Angel is the last one I've really enjoyed.

On another note, I'm listening to I Am You from Exciter, and what a really great tune it is.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Exciter, everytime I feel like listening to it, I say to myself "hey, this is NOT that bad, I will listen to this more often" (e.g. Sweetest Perfection) (edit: I mean Condition of course), and then I forget it for another 5 years. ;-)
    Last edited by Substance242; 10-03-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    a staple band from my youth, i have never seen them in concert..
    i may have to change that this month and see them in CA.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I'm fully prepared to call Spirit the worst album. I found it boring and unremarkable.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    ^^
    In other words, exactly the same as Sounds of the Universe and Delta Machine.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Exciter, everytime I feel like listening to it, I say to myself "hey, this is NOT that bad, I will listen to this more often" (e.g. Sweetest Perfection) (edit: I mean Condition of course), and then I forget it for another 5 years. ;-)
    Exciter is very underrated, i don't know why no one likes it...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't think Exciter is bad at all, it is just very understated and sort of dark compared to a lot of their output. It isn't massively hooky or anything.

Saying that, I am also guilty of forgetting about it for 5 years at a time.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    ^^
    i love SotU and hate Delta Machine, so...i don't put those anywhere near each other

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    ^^
    There were at least a few numbers scattered here and there off those that I could enjoy and bob my head to, stuff like Wrong, Hole To Feed, Should Be Higher, and a few numbers off the superior DM bonus disc. Spirit just felt...tired, bitter and resigned.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I always feel guilty for not liking Spirit better than I do. I like some riffs and melodies on it, but there's no one song on it that stirs me. It's not my kind of thing, I guess. There are so many people with so many different tastes, I'm sure it's someone's thing. I was such a huge fan for so long, and now, I didn't even attempt to get a ticket to a show, this year. I've moved on, I guess.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Spirit is definitely growing on me. I think the lead single "Where's the Revolution" is a weak track, but there are some great tunes on there, "Cover Me" is beautiful (as is the video) and "Scum" is killer.

I like all of the albums, but everything after Playing the Angel get's a little muddy for me, those albums don't have their own identity and I often forget which album has which songs.

Or maybe I'm just older and don't have the time to pay attention as much.

Either way, they're still fantastic and Depeche will always be a favorite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Exciter is very underrated, i don't know why no one likes it...
    Dream On is a classic DM song imo. Freelove, Shine, Comatose, Goodnight Lovers and When the Body Speaks are all awesome too. I really like the icy and subtle production as well.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    Dream On is a classic DM song imo. Freelove, Shine, Comatose, Goodnight Lovers and When the Body Speaks are all awesome too. I really like the icy and subtle production as well.
    "I am you" is also great! to me it's a "highway DM record", it works great while driving in the night

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    "I Am You" might just be the sexiest song they've ever recorded. They have a whole load of songs with very sexual lyrics, but this one just has a really hot vibe to it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

in the new Q magazine. 7 page write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    they were great in San Jose the other night. they continue to solidify themselves as my all time favorite band. since I was 8.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    they were great in San Jose the other night. they continue to solidify themselves as my all time favorite band. since I was 8.
    same goes for oakland, great show tuesday night, i quite enjoyed the setlist too, some good choices in there among the obvious of course.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I've comfortably accepted that I don't think Spirit is a good album, but I'm still very bummed out that I didn't get to see them this go around -- they've been on my live bucketlist since I had the idea of a live bucketlist, and I've still never had the opportunity to check them out. They had to cancel their Tampa date here to due to the hurricanes and it doesn't look like there'll be any rescheduling at all.