Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1624

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm aware that we lost Fletch. I did catch that.

Ok, checking out the new track.

Also, FUCK SAKE. Album title was already set in stone? Grim synchronicity.

Edit: dear god
    Yep!

They’ve debuted 2 songs live so far, Wagging Tongue and My Favourite Stranger. The latter is absolutely stunning. Audio lyric transcription and live recording on the last page.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Dave and Martin just finding out that "Just Can't Get Enough" is featured in the new "Cocaine Bear" movie:

https://twitter.com/kleinallyshow/st...C89fSY3KItAAAA

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    My wife and I were able to get tickets to see them in Vegas in December. Should be a fun one!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    I see the beauty
    As the leaves start falling
    Follow the light
    Towards the voices calling
    I'm going where the angels fly

And I'm taking my soul with me

>>

Don't play with my world
    Don't mess with my mind
    Don't question my spacetime
    My cosmos is mine

Don't stare at my soul
    I swear it is fine
    Its borders are outlined
    My cosmos is mine

>>

You’ll be the killer, I’ll be the corpse, I you’ll be the thriller & I’ll be the drama of course. If you play the sinner, I’ll play the stain, If you play the winner, I’ll be your permanent pain. I’ll be the boredom, you the desire….
    …I’ll be the cat calls, & you’ll be the sound of choir….you’ll be the promise, & I’ll be the end of your dreams. So don’t say you love me, because you’ll never love me.

>>

Caroline knows how fragile we are
    With hope as our faith
    We look to the stars
    Caroline’s monkey is crying again
    There’s no satisfaction
    On Caroline’s train

>>

We will be beacons
    Shining so bright
    Like stars in the darkness
    For lovers at night

Never let me go…
    Last edited by Erneuert; 03-06-2023 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/20...mode-cat-burns

Depeche Mode’s Piano Room will be broadcast on Thursday 6 April and their classic cover is a track by Scott Walker, with their session accompanied by the BBC Concert Orchestra. The recording was Dave Gahan and Martin Gore’s first ever time performing at the BBC’s Maida Vale studios, but also their first UK performance since the sad death of keyboard player, Andy Fletcher, last year. Depeche Mode has had a huge influence within both the electronic and alternative music scenes since the 80s and which continues to this day, with 54 songs in the UK Singles Chart, 17 Top 10 albums in the UK chart and having sold more than 100 million records worldwide. The Grammy nominated band has won numerous UK and international awards and accolades, and in 2020 were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Their 15th studio album, Memento Mori, is due to be released in March 2023.

Depeche Mode says: "We were honoured and privileged to be asked to perform for Radio 2’s Piano Room. It was an amazing experience to play live with a 21-piece orchestra and it will remain a vivid memory. What a fun day!"

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Latest rumour is My Cosmos Is Mine will be the next single, reputable source. March 15.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Musikexpress review:

1. My Cosmos Is Mine
    A pulsating, fiery prelude - in the chronology of MEMENTO MORI, however, the last piece Martin Gore wrote for the album. To dark electronic sounds, he formulates his world-weariness, in particular the Russian war of aggression in Ukraine with its countless senseless deaths. Gahan succeeds in making the oppression clear with his singing; the piece is both: an indictment of world events, but also a retreat into the inner world. The title is therefore to be understood defiantly: My cosmos belongs to me - this is and remains my little world!
    CONCLUSION: Weltschmerz is followed by a longing for isolation - right at the beginning a key song to plunge completely into the album.

2. Wagging Tongue
    Originally a folky song, written by Dave Gahan in the style of the
    Gahan in the style of the 70s. Gore then turned the demo inside out: At the beginning, analogue-cosmic synths can be heard, like in Kraftwerk, Harmonica and other German electro-krautrock pioneers. When the beat kicks in, the track locates itself in a chart show of the 80s: " Wagging Tongue " is melodious and light-hearted, a reminiscence of the time when Depeche Mode indulged in naive cheerfulness, especially with their singles.
    CONCLUSION: Might be Vince Clarke's favourite song on the
    on the album - a single worthy of mention!

3. Ghosts Again
    The pre-release single, co-written by Martin Gore and Richard Butler, an old acquaintance of Gore, songwriter and singer of the post-punk veterans The Psychedelic Furs. Even when little snippets of the song circulated on the internet during the press conference announcing MEMENTO MORI, the sound of "Ghosts Again" triggered pleasant memories of the melancholic syn-thie hits of the late 80s and early 90s among fans. And in its entirety, the song delivers what it promised back then and thus fuelled the anticipation: After many years, finally a Depeche Mode single that really ignites immediately.
    FAZIT: The younger cousin of "Enjoy The Silence".

4. Don't Say You Love Me
    E in Sons. which sounds as if the Walker Brothers were going to write a soundtrack
    electro-style interpretation of a soundtrack composition by Ennio Morricone, which David Lynch then uses for an upcoming season of "Twin Peaks". Gahan sings sombrely, including one of the strongest lines on the album: "You're the singer, I'm the song". Whereby Martin Gore and Richard Butler, who wrote the song together, of course know who plays which role, whether in music or in love: It's the singer, not the song.
    CONCLUSION: This is how blues goes in the year 2023.

5. My Favourite Stranger
    In the background, co-producer Marta Salogni
    The atmosphere is terrifying. The song consists of a recurring, repetitive, and very loud electronic noise. The song consists of a recurring verse, chorus and resolution? No such thing. The songwriters Gore and Butler put the listener on the rack in a very concrete way, Gahan sings about another, destructive ego: "my imitation". In the end, the blood is on his hands - post-industrial electro-blues with a high paranoia factor!
    CONCLUSION: Uncomfortable, cold, highly intense - a Depeche Moment for connoisseurs.

6. Soul With Me
    The track with Martin Gore as lead singer. He plays the
    crooner - at least in the verse - and sings with a lot of warmth. In the transition to the chorus, one expects a trip into kitschy ballad areas, but Gore breaks with the expectation with a slight grin on his face, sings instead a smart soul refrain with a now slightly brittle voice - and prepares in the lyrics to escape from the "earthly cages" to move where the angels fly: "I'm taking my soul with me." CONCLUSION: A hidden soul song about souls - Joke very much to Gore's taste.

7. Caroline's Monkey
    Another collaboration with Richard Butler - and
    * probably the least catchy track on MOMENTO MORI. It deals with drugs and addiction, the monkey on Caroline's shoulder stands for the demon of addiction, for the "black elephant* that stands in the room and destroys life with its relationships.
    relationships.
    CONCLUSION: Important topic, good lyrics - nevertheless a song that deliberately keeps you at a distance.

8. Before We Drown
    Gahan's big ballad on the album, starting with interesting
    interesting harmonic arabesques, later a song about the ambivalences of love, about the constant doubts, the rising and falling - and the need to move forward as an individual before you go down together.
    CONCLUSION: One of the best twisted love songs Gahan has written for Depeche Mode.

9. People Are Good
    Gore never liked "People Are People": the song that made Depeche Mode big in the USA and Germany was lyrically too flat, too clear. Now
    "People Are Good" - not a rip-off of his own hit (even if you can sing it on the basic beat), but a contemplation of humanity the way songwriter Martin Gore prefers it: bitterly angry, full of ambivalences.
    The phrase "everything will be alright" is followed by the line "keep foolin' yourself* - Gahan knows how to find the right tone for Gore's mockery. For the bluesy tremolo in the verse, Gahan was inspired by the same teachers as Jochen Distelmeyer from Blumfeld.
    CONCLUSION: Gore again in joke mode, here between cynicism and fanservice.

10. Always You
    The song begins with complex beats and echoes of modern pop, then takes another swing in the direction of 80s synth-wave. Gahan once again shows that his vocals are more influenced by songwriter blues than ever. Gore's lyrics formulate lines for a love song as he imagines it: "My love, there are no more words / Life's too absurd."
    CONCLUSION: The title of the song suggests music other than this sombre swan song to warmth and closeness.

11. Never Let Me Go
    Classic - and is the "Go" perhaps even a salute to Vince Clarke and his Yazoo hit "Don't Go*? Here, too, the melody of the old song can be sung along to the beat of the new track. But then a very strong, hit-suspicious independent song develops with 80s beats, sparkling electric guitars and very strong harmony vocals by Gahan and Gore.
    FAZIT: Here too - single suspicion!

12. Speak To Me
    The grand finale of the album that will leave many speechless.
    speechless. Dave Gahan has written a beguiling and larger-than-life ballad, about a moment on the floor (very specifically: the floor of a bathroom), about a pleading address to a higher being - and quite obviously about his specific near-death experience.
    Like a praying man, he asks someone to guide him, that he will follow this voice. Whether back to life or death?
    The piece begins without beats, the strings increase their playing to the climax, when they fade away, a throbbing beat remains, symbolising the heartbeat of a human being. A living person who is aware of his mortality: MEMENTO MORI. One of the most intense listening experiences in Depeche Mode's entire discography!
    CONCLUSION: Without words.

OVERALL RATING: MEMENTO MORI: 5/5

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    [Trigger warning: skepticism]

I would be thrilled to share this critic's enthusiasm, but I'm still trying to keep my expectations tempered.

DM is my probably second-favorite act of all time after nin. However, for my money, the last two decades have yielded some fantastic individual tracks (Corrupt, Cover Me, I Feel Loved, Oh Well, 33% of PTA), but there isn't a single album that I have a strong urge to revisit front-to-back...and the less said about Delta Machine, the better.

Against these benchmarks, a 5/5 would probably translate to 4 or 5 songs that I return to out of genuine interest rather than die-hard fan obligation. I have avoided listening to Ghosts Again or any of the promo gig live debuts, but based on the collective enthusiasm...maybe MM will meet if not exceed the bar? Guess we'll know in a few weeks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    beautiful! Feels very Year Zero-esque.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Has anyone reversed the audio at the end? Sounds like Martin singing in reverse?

LOVE it!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    In reverse it's the same as the opening lines sang by Dave -

Don’t play with my world
    Don’t mess with my mind
    Don’t question my spacetime
    My cosmos is mine

Can't get enough of this track at the moment.. all i ever wanted from them this time around, were some deeply layered experimental tracks for a change... and i got one!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    “Other Side” and “Sundown” now both confirmed b-sides:

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    First single reminded me to "Speak & Spell", now this single reminds me to the "Ultra" era.

Sounds like it's going to be a good record!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Interesting, thanks for that link. Especially Fletch's reply regarding Ultra considering how much we all love it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    OH SHIT! I LOVE My Cosmos is Mine! Deep, dark, and pretty abstract. I love how echo-y Dave's vocals are and I can totally hear those drums as a concert opener. Awesome shit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    “Other Side” and “Sundown” now both confirmed b-sides:

Nice info... finally!

Regarding "Sundown" – The BBC keeps mentioning they performed a Scott Walker cover, but didn't Gordon Lightfoot write and record that song? Guess the UK doesn't pay attention to North American 70s folks singers.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    Nice info... finally!

Regarding "Sundown" – The BBC keeps mentioning they performed a Scott Walker cover, but didn't Gordon Lightfoot write and record that song? Guess the UK doesn't pay attention to North American 70s folks singers.
    Yeah, I think it’s one of those situations like with Elvis covers. They attribute the song to him rather than the original songwriters. It seems like Scott Walker did a cover of it the year after Gordon Lightfoot released it.

Is this the first cover b-side since “Dirt”?
    Last edited by Erneuert; 03-12-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Also, I really don’t think “Other Side” is a retitled “Wagging Tongue” given the songwriters:

Composed by Gahan, Eigner & Gordeno:
    - Other Side
    www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace/search/workID/891311913

- Before We Drown
    https://www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace...rkID/919157516

And it's been confirmed 5 songs did not make the album ("Sundown" being one of them, presumably).

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Looks like the full length versions of the Delta Machine demos have been posted:

http://www.youtube.com/@manyroutex/videos

Looks like Lot (All That’s Mine demo) and Schism (Instrumental demo) are missing. Along with Where I Wait (Instrumental demo).
    Last edited by Erneuert; 03-12-2023 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    From the Home forum:

192 kbps versions are hitting file sharing sites today. Except for Schism which is still low quality. I held off listening to them until the better quality versions were available.

They sound amazing. The demos feel more like Depeche Mode than the final album. And I quite enjoy Delta Machine.
    Highlights:
    Always, Martin's demo has more groove
    Happens all the Time, Dave's vocals are so good here
    Slow, I dig this song, the demo is beautiful Martin
    All That's Mine, a more epic version than the final
    Secret to the End, really interesting to hear how this song developed with two earlier versions

Quality: 192 kbps, Stereo | 32/64 kbps, Mono (Schism, saved as FLAC in order to prevent quality loss)
    Track count: 14
    Tracklist:
    1. Welcome To My World
    2. Heaven
    3. Secret
    4. Universe
    5. Slow
    6. Broken
    7. Higher
    8. Soothe
    9. Happens
    10. Always
    11. Lot
    12. Schism
    13. Secret To The End [Rough Mix]
    14. My Little Universe [Rough Mix]

Goodbye is not included despite a known demo existing. There is no demo for Angel known. I would love to hear Martin's original demo for this song.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Awesome demos. Love the Broken and Secret to the End demos, and Heaven is waaay better as a Martin song.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    With all of the new album hype lately, I've been going back and re-exploring the catalog. While I'm pretty familiar with most of the albums, one area I've steered clear of for lack of patience are the over-abundance of remixes. But I know that when done right (Further Down the Spiral, Things Falling Apart, Year Zero Remixed, etc.) remixes can be fantastic. Seems like there's a lot of very knowledgeable folks in this thread--would anyone be so kind as to guide me to a playlist's worth (or however many, I'm not picky) of quality Depeche Mode remixes? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Erneuert i have multiple DM stories to tell you, at some point...not about meeting them or anything.

Rather, these tales are more about how deeply certain songs have affected me, and how they were the unforgettable soundtrack to intense parts of my life.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    With all of the new album hype lately, I've been going back and re-exploring the catalog. While I'm pretty familiar with most of the albums, one area I've steered clear of for lack of patience are the over-abundance of remixes. But I know that when done right (Further Down the Spiral, Things Falling Apart, Year Zero Remixed, etc.) remixes can be fantastic. Seems like there's a lot of very knowledgeable folks in this thread--would anyone be so kind as to guide me to a playlist's worth (or however many, I'm not picky) of quality Depeche Mode remixes? I'd greatly appreciate it!
    Some that I always liked:

Policy of Truth (Capitol Mix)
    World In My Eyes (Oil Tank Mix)
    Walking In My Shoes (Grungy Gonads Mix)
    Walking In My Shoes (Random Carpet Mix)
    Rush (Spiritual Guidance Mix) - MY PERSONAL FAVORITE!
    In Your Room (Jeep Rock Mix)
    It's No Good (Andrea Parker Mix)
    Useless (The Kruder + Dorfmeister Session)
    To Have And To Hold (Spanish Taster Mix)
    Everything Counts (Absolut Mix)
    Last edited by piggy; 03-14-2023 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Speaking of remixes, i recently watched Cocaine Bear that featured a new remix of DM's Just Can't Get Enough. On the credits it's named as 'The Math Club Mix'. I did a search and found http://www.mathclubmusic.com which they talk about the mix.

Quote - 'Let’s play a game – it’s 1985 and a 500-pound black bear ingests a duffel bag of cocaine and ravishes a rural community in Georgia. What music would be sound-tracking such an occurrence?
    If you said an insanely awesome, energy-packed remix of Depeche Mode’s “Just Can’t Get Enough,” you hit it right on the (coke-dusted) nose.
    Well done!!! We had an amazing time creating this remix, and other bear-does-coke-in-the-80s sounding music for this movie, and if the premise didn’t hook you enough, we suggest you hit the theaters when Cocaine Bear drops TOMORROW and see for yourself!'

..It's Not like a dance mix of JCGE is at the top of my wish-list at the moment but it's something new anyway. (The Movie is actually pretty good and their use of the song was very funny)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    At the bottom of the last page, Piggy listed some great ones that I may repeat. If you like the classic 12"/extended mixes, then the Hands and Feet Mix of Enjoy the Silence is the most perfect remix ever. But based on your NIN examples, I'm thinking you want something that deviates from the original song in a good way. ("Breathing in Fumes" is probably the best example of taking a song, breaking it apart, and completely rebuilding it into something new... like some NIN mixes.)

I'm sure you've seen the shitload of "un-tiss un-tiss" club mixes out there, but here's some mixes that successfully take a unique approach to the original:

Dream on (dave clarke acoustic version)
    I Feel You (renegade soundwave afghan surgery mix)
    Cover Me (alt out)
    Little 15 (ulrich schnauss remix)
    The Sun and the Rainfall (black light odyssey estranged mix)
    Rush (coil's black sun mix)
    The Darkest Star (monolake remix)
    My Joy (slowslide mix)
    World in My Eyes (cicada remix)
    Photographic (rex the dog dubb mix)
    Walking in My Shoes (random carpet mix)
    Only When I Lose Myself (dan the automator mix)
    Painkiller (dj shadow's kill the pain remix)
    Never Let Me Down Again (aggro mix)
    Soothe My Soul (gregor tresher soothed remix)
    Nothing (justin strauss' dub) --> the Dub not the Remix
    To Have and to Hold (spanish taster)
    Slowblow (mad professor mix)
    Useless (the kruder + dorfmeister session)
    Poison Heart (tripped mix)
    Fail (cinematic cut)
    Oh Well (black light odyssey dub)
    Ghost (le weekend remix)
    A Question of Time (joebot presents 'radio face' remix)
    Rush (spiritual guidance mix)
    Everything Counts (bomb the bass mix)
    Breathing in Fumes
    Route 66 (beatmasters mix)
    Puppets (röyksopp remix)
    Where's the Revolution (patrice bäumel remix)
    Leave in Silence (claro intelecto 'the last time' remix)
    Peace (ben klock remix)
    Barrel of a Gun (underworld soft mix)
    In Chains (alan wilder remix)
    Halo (goldfrapp remix)
    When the Body Speaks (gareth jones mix)
    Come Back (sixtoes remix)
    Last edited by butters; 03-15-2023 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Man, the demo for All That’s Mine is stunning.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Some that I always liked:

Policy of Truth (Capitol Mix)
    World In My Eyes (Oil Tank Mix)
    Walking In My Shoes (Grungy Gonads Mix)
    Walking In My Shoes (Random Carpet Mix)
    Rush (Spiritual Guidance Mix) - MY PERSONAL FAVORITE!
    In Your Room (Jeep Rock Mix)
    It's No Good (Andrea Parker Mix)
    Useless (The Kruder + Dorfmeister Session)
    To Have And To Hold (Spanish Taster Mix)
    Everything Counts (Absolut Mix)

FYI, the “Spanish Taster” mix of THATH is Martin’s original version. Alan preferred his own mix which ended up on the album.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tribute to Fletch in deluxe booklet of Memento Mori:

Martin & Dave standing next to each other (shown from behind) with Dave holding his hands in the air mimicking the cover of the World In My Eyes single (Fletch’s favourite song).

Apparently it also shows their shadows on the ground, with a third shadow next to them representing Fletch.