Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Has the Bowie cover turned up online yet?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Picked up Spirit on vinyl this morning. Now I'm just waiting for the night to come so I can has the vibes are right

That photo inside the jacket of them sitting on the motorcycles looks fucking boss. Also hilarious how, even though it's alphabetical, Fletch's name is first under the band lineup credit. I have very high hopes for this album, as I enjoyed Delta Machine very much..

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't really hear any optimism in it at all.
    The vibe I get from it is how we've "gone backwards". The optimism or hope comes from where's the revolution. Hoping people wake up and make a difference. Just my interpretation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can anyone confirm the mp3 download code that comes with the vinyl is the standard edition or deluxe edition? If it's the deluxe then I might prefer to go vinyl instead of the 2 cds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Mine is only the 12 album-proper tracks, which is kind of shitty (and dumb). Side D of the vinyl is an etching of the word 'Spirit' when it could have easily held two or three of those jungle-boogie remixes they padded the DE with..

I'm not complaining though because the deluxe version is on Apple Music
    Ah that's a bummer, guess I'll stick with the deluxe cds then. Makes me feel like they're going to release a super special deluxe edition later down the road like SOTU, there's gotta be more b-sides to come from these sessions.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Has Hell froze over? Rolling Stone magazine has given Depeche Mode's new album a good review: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...spirit-w472254

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Different worlds, I guess; Dave's cuts are what make PTA so enjoyable for me. Suffer Well in particular is a cornerstone of that album, in my opinion. His contributions felt like a fresh perspective on a formula that was getting a bit stale by the time of Exciter (which sounds as close to autopilot as they've ever come)

By the time he released Hourglass a few years later, he had Gore's songwriting swagger and sentimentality down almost pat..
    He does NOT have gores swagger down... Are you shitting me right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Has Hell froze over? Rolling Stone magazine has given Depeche Mode's new album a good review: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...spirit-w472254
    Depeche Mode responds back: still cunts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Going Backwards is absolutely fantastic! I love how it sets up the tone of the record. Every element of the song is badass, those piano chords, the synths, Dave's voice, and how it slowly unfolds into a stomping groove... an awesome way to open the album. The other standout tracks for me are Scum, Cover Me, No More, Eternal and So Much Love. I'm starting to like Where's the Revolution a bit more in the context of the record too. I think the rest will grow on me after more listens, a few of them are underwhelming right now like The Worst Crime and Poorman. They're not bad, just a bit unexciting, I guess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Last edited by [parasite]; 03-18-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Only listened to it once so far...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rolling Stone magazine has as much impact on music as MTV does these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How'd did it get there? I don't think anyone was diminishing Gahan's importance to the band. He's one of the best front men of all time (in my book at least). I was simply stating I felt the first album to have that transition was rough and you could even hear that transition. I even noted that the issue went away on subsequent albums because his song writing improved and I feel Gore probably welcomed it more & helped make everything more cohesive.

I am not a big fan of Paper Monsters because I felt the songwriting was not very consistent... but Hourglass was night and day better. Add in some good Soulsavers albums... yeah, he's grown tremendously as a songwriter.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintNoir View Post
    How'd did it get there? I don't think anyone was diminishing Gahan's importance to the band. He's one of the best front men of all time (in my book at least). I was simply stating I felt the first album to have that transition was rough and you could even hear that transition. I even noted that the issue went away on subsequent albums because his song writing improved and I feel Gore probably welcomed it more & helped make everything more cohesive.
    It's all subjective in the end. Playing the Angel is my favorite album of theirs since Ultra, so I'm biased. There isn't a track on either album that rates as anything short of spectacular for me.

I am not a big fan of Paper Monsters because I felt the songwriting was not very consistent... but Hourglass was night and day better. Add in some good Soulsavers albums... yeah, he's grown tremendously as a songwriter.
    Couldn't agree more with you here. PM sounds like a test-run compared to what he achieved on Hourglass..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Suffer Well, Nothing's Impossible, and Secret to the End are all solid Gahan-penned Mode tracks. I certainly feel like Dave's contributions to Sounds of the Universe were subpar, but that whole album is essentially forgettable aside from In Chains.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I hope they do Alone from DM live this tour.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMLiveWiki View Post
    Only 11 songs and nothing from the '80s? Was this some kind of special one-off show, or is this the type of setlist we can expect for the upcoming US tour? If so I'm going to regret buying a ticket to MSG...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Only listened to Spirit a few times, but so far it hasn't grabbed me the way Delta Machine did. It's very dark and brooding so it will likely take much longer to sink in.

I also wonder if the momentum of the album could be altered by switching around the tracklist. "Going Backwards" works great as an opener but then I feel like you need something with a little more up after it, such as "Scum" or "You Move." As it stands with those first three tracks all being kind of slow, it feels like it takes a while for the album to get going. They're not bad songs, but maybe should be later in the album. "Where's the Revolution?" might works really well as the penultimate track.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Only 11 songs and nothing from the '80s? Was this some kind of special one-off show, or is this the type of setlist we can expect for the upcoming US tour? If so I'm going to regret buying a ticket to MSG...
    It was just an album launch performance, but just like the album promo stuff did back in 2013, it will probably resemble the full tour set. They'll probably do about double the amount of songs though. It would shock me if older, currently very relevant songs like Everything Counts or People Are People don't find their way onto this tour.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    It was just an album launch performance, but just like the album promo stuff did back in 2013, it will probably resemble the full tour set. They'll probably do about double the amount of songs though. It would shock me if older, currently very relevant songs like Everything Counts or People Are People don't find their way onto this tour.
    I would be ok with this, particularly getting to hear Everything Counts.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    That show had 2 songs from SOTU, which is 2 more than the total amount of SOTU songs played on the entire DM tour.
    Who's gonna guess if any DM song makes a return?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I would adore getting to see Everything Counts live. That track has always shined with an audience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    DM rehearsed "Everything Counts", so there's a fair chance it'll end up in the set list for the tour. Maybe we'll get lucky and hear it in Glasgow at the BBC 6 Music Festival, which will have at least an audio broadcast, and I'm hoping some sort of video broadcast as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was waiting patiently for the release, reading very different opinions and getting scared, but in the end... I am satisfied! I remember first listen I felt like the sound is not right, thinking about "mastered for iTunes" or something was not completely OK, but somehow this feeling passed. :-) Listened on headphones 6 times so far, and it feels like very consistent, dare I say concept album, flowing nicely all the way. And even the remixes are pretty good (except last 17th track, I had to delete that one), for example crazy "atari" part in cinematic Fail, like, what is this, I like it. :-) I did not care much about the "Revolution", felt no urge to listen to it again, but the album as a whole is very good. But, today I put it on in my car, and it did not work, maybe requires headphones and/or real focus?

When I was walking outside, not listening, somehow Going Backwards reminded me U2 So Cruel (which DM covered by the way), and in another gem, Cover Me, my head recognized something from Sacred. But generally this is hard to compare to something else... which is a good thing actually. But still not going to see them live, it would be the same as before, not worth it.

And I think Dave had some good songs on Paper Monsters already, and ones like Saw Something or Come Back (yes, I love it) are excellent.

PS: Can't remember who wrote this here, but I would never imagine a person with SOFAD and SOTU as his/her two favourite albums may exist. :-)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Only now I am starting to hear Spirit lyrics properly (always overwhelmed by emotions first few listens), what if No More (This Is The Last Time) is really about quitting this DM machine...? And I started thinking about that tension between Martin and Dave, what if Dave said "fuck this shit" and picked up the phone "Alan? Let's make an album together", and Alan "Well, can you write a full record of songs? Because I certainly can not." and... etc. :-)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post

PS: Can't remember who wrote this here, but I would never imagine a person with SOFAD and SOTU as his/her two favourite albums may exist. :-)
    It was me who said it.

I bought a physical copy of Spirit today. Can't wait to give it a virgin listen tonight!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Loved the album. Very tight and concise as one whole package. It's one of the strongest openings to an album I've heard in ages (by any artist). Going Backwards into Where's the Revolution is fantastic.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I've grown to really, really like Going Backwards and Poorman a lot. Poorman especially is a great song. Still battling with this album but I think I'm gonna end up warmer to it than I was at the beginning as time goes by.

Bare minimum, it's still better than Exciter!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    It took me a few listens to really understand the flow of this album and now that I have 8-9 listens under my belt I feel like I can share my opinion. Its a solid album, but nothing outstanding. Once again I find myself skipping the Martin vocal tracks as they being the album to a complete stop and as well as "Where's the Revolution." I would have rather seen "So Much Love" as the first single with maybe "You Move" as a 2nd....

Oh, and did anyone try to get tickets for their local show(s) during the pre-sale event? My show here in San Diego was going for $150 for the 200 section...I laughed while I closed down my google chrome window...