Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Depeche Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    I'm blown away by the vocal range Dave displays on Should be Higher. I had no idea he had that kind of range.
    During the chorus? That's not Martin? If it's in fact Dave, wow. Kinda sounds like Martin though. Loving the new album though. Possibly more than SOTU (which I like).

Edit:

Holy shit! IT IS Dave doing the vocals. Wow...

http://<br /> https://www.youtube.co...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by Piko; 03-18-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Holy... wow... I am druuunk with love! I am on the second song. The first one had me in chills all the way through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is a fantastic album.
    Between HTDA, Nick Cave and Bowie, I feel inundated with especially awesome music.

Child Inside is great, I love Dave and to me he is the voice of Depeche Mode, but goddamn I love a good Martin track.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Listening to it now and while that Letterman performance had me in awe already, I'm fucking stoked for the tour! This is going to be sweet!

Should be higher is an instant favorite. Angel remains great. Heaven is good and the opening track has that very cool ending that I wish was longer, off to the rest of the album as I type!

2013 is shaping up to be a damn great year for music!

EDIT: wow, been through it a couple of times and hell, this kicks ass! soothe my soul, alone and goodbye make for a great ending to an already great record. I hope the bonus tracks can keep that momentum!
    Last edited by dlb; 03-19-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Where the hell are the bonus track leaks?!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I just got it on What.cd in FLAC.

The bonus edition
    @Ryan

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I heard the album last night. Man, it's fucking good. Way better than the last one though I did like that album. This has been a really good year for music already.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Do Depeche Mode have any albums to completely avoid? I've had Violator and Music For The Masses forever, but I'm just now trying to check out more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Exciter is a strange one from them... but I still like about 5-6 songs on it. Many people don't like it.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    exciter and sounds of the universe are generally considered to be the worst two, though i enjoy a handful from the former (but none from the latter). i'm not jazzed about this new album either, to be honest- but i've never loved songs of faith and devotion as much as most do and i hate the new bluesy side of the band.

that said, if you only have those two records, @imail724 - do yourself a favor and get black celebration, ultra, and some great reward before grabbing the latest few... you'd probably love playing the angel, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    i'm not jazzed about this new album either, to be honest- but i've never loved songs of faith and devotion as much as most do and i hate the new bluesy side of the band.
    Did you listen to it yet? To be honest, it reminds me of Ultra as much as anything. There are a few songs with the bluesy guitar (like on Ultra), but most of the songs are a sticky electronic sound. It is my favorite album since Ultra for sure.

Black Celebration and Ultra are two of my absolute favorite DM records and two I feel are often under appreciated a bit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Speaking of Ultra (a great album I don't listen to nearly enough), I was pleasantly surprised to see them break out "Barrel of a Gun" for their Letterman concert. Obviously, "It's No Good" has been a live staple for a while, but when was the last time they performed "Barrel"? I don't stay up to date with setlists, so maybe this isn't as a big a deal as I think it is.

I really enjoyed the Letterman show - all the new stuff sounded awesome. "Soothe My Soul" sounded like it could've been a cover of a decades-old song, and I mean that in a good way. I liked "Soft Touch", too, except for one of the synth sounds - the song itself I remember being solid though.

Very excited to hear the album, I'm just playing catch-up with other new releases for the time being. I don't own any DM vinyl, so I think I'll be using the new album as an excuse to change that.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintNoir View Post
    Did you listen to it yet? To be honest, it reminds me of Ultra as much as anything. There are a few songs with the bluesy guitar (like on Ultra), but most of the songs are a sticky electronic sound. It is my favorite album since Ultra for sure.
    i did check out a leak. the first track grabbed me immediately and pretty much exceeded expectations and knocked the sour taste of the last album right out of my mouth. i was excited- i had reservations about the single and didn't love the new songs on letterman but had high hopes. it slowly went downhilll from there for me. i can hear the comparisons to ultra but i don't think it's anywhere near as strong or as interesting, or had as much to prove as ultra did after alan wilder left. sorry to be a debbie downer here guys, but i am not hearing what you guys are raving about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Maybe I just really feel tepidly about SotU and PtA. I like a lot of the tracks, but the "album feel" is lacking. This album very much feels like an album to me and I feel both guys are in top vocal form. I don't really dislike any songs and several are super stand out to me as well.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Do Depeche Mode have any albums to completely avoid? I've had Violator and Music For The Masses forever, but I'm just now trying to check out more.
    Construction Time Again is the only DM album where i don't ever feel compelled to skip a single song. i love EVERYTHING on it. every other album (besides violator) has at least one or two tracks that i skip nearly every time i listen through them.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Ok, been listening to this on the train with headphones for the last two days and I LOVE it. The only weak-ish track on it, to me, is "Slow," though it's still a great song.

"Broken" and "Alone" are extremely emotional. "I couldn't save your soul. I couldn't even take you home." / "If you fall, I will be there. You were broken from the start."

Goodbye is an EPIC closer, and Welcome To My World grabbed me by the balls immediately. Soothe My soul has been stuck in my head, and Should Be Higher is just stunning. My Little Universe is great, and I love Martin's track.

So far the only weaknesses I've heard are "Slow," as I mentioned, and not all too keen on "All That's Mine," though it's still got that great "A lot like you, lost like me" refrain.

Haven't had the pleasure of hearing the other 3 bonus tracks yet which I'll have to download when I get home this afternoon.

Seriously the best thing they have released post-2000 era.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Not to dismiss those albums completely but seeing as you have only ever had Music for the Masses and Violator, I wouldn't go for their first 2 (Speak & Spell and A Broken Frame)

Also, like someone said, Exciter is a bit strange, I love it, some people hate it...The producer is a long-time collaborator of Björk, if that rings a bell to you...
    Lastly, Sounds of the Universe seems to be a polarizing album too. Though it is probably my favourite along with Ultra, I've seen a lot of people dismiss it as being «thin, uninspired and overproduced»

Your next bet should probably be Playing the Angel, Ultra or Songs of Faith and Devotion. I'd probably also try the new album, Delta Machine. Right now, a lot of people praise it. We'll see what the test of time will do to it...

The free streaming of Delta Machine:
    http://smarturl.it/DeltaMachineStream

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Interesting... Slow is my favorite song so far off the new album.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    "Broken" and "Alone" are extremely emotional. "I couldn't save your soul. I couldn't even take you home." / "If you fall, I will be there. You were broken from the start."
    I find a number of the songs on this album to be heart wrenching. On Heaven, "I slowly lose myself over and over" just kills me. It's such a simple line, but it's my life. Also deceptively simple is the line, "Your lies are more attractive than the truth; love is all I want" on Should be Higher. It's sung with such earnest passion that for a fleeting moment it transcends its own psychological damage.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

I don't understand why they don't just put the bonus tracks as album tracks. Every album has these bonus tracks that everyone downloads and listens to with the album anyway.
    Last edited by DVYDRNS; 03-19-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Seriously the best thing they have released post-2000 era.
    Definitely agree. Listened to it multiple times today. Keeps getting stronger for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That album dissapoints me. It's way too poppy. PTA was much more experimental and musically interesting. The first track is the only one i did not skip after the second round.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baudolino View Post
    That album dissapoints me. It's way too poppy. PTA was much more experimental and musically interesting. The first track is the only one i did not skip after the second round.
    Shut up. Get new ears.

Also, listening to the bonus tracks now. FANTASTIC!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    lol. my ears and hifi system work just fine. get honorable manners a more objective opinion is my advice to you.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    lol. my ears and hifi system work just fine. get honorable manners a more objective opinion is my advice to you.
    No, just get new ears.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Haha, Ryan!

Listened to the bonus tracks and goddamn, always is great too! Shouldn't be a b-side acutally and totally deserves its place on the album!
    Last edited by dlb; 03-20-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

wow I was afraid to post that I am not loving this album. It seems like I've heard it before for some reason, I'll wait and give it another try sometime in the future. (I listened via iTunes free stream this time)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    don't worry, @allegro and @baudolino - i dislike it too and said as much a few posts ago. gave it a fair shot and it came up short for me. general consensus among my depeche mode loving friends is that they don't like it, either.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    don't worry, @allegro and @baudolino - i dislike it too and said as much a few posts ago. gave it a fair shot and it came up short for me. general consensus among my depeche mode loving friends is that they don't like it, either.
    Maybe you guys should start a support group.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i just dislike how you're not allowed to be critical on here without someone calling you a twat for it.