Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: The Marriage Rights Thread

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    There are some holdouts in the Deep South. Louisiana hasn't issued any licenses. Mississippi issued a few, but they're not issuing any more until the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals rules. Louisiana is also waiting on that ruling.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cynicmuse View Post
    There are some holdouts in the Deep South. Louisiana hasn't issued any licenses. Mississippi issued a few, but they're not issuing any more until the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals rules. Louisiana is also waiting on that ruling.
    Some of this is procedural. Although, this is also exactly what Scalia warned about. These states don't HAVE to adhere to a SCOTUS decision; they can hold out until somebody FORCES them to enforce it. SCOTUS really is impotent against states that are hell-bent against Federal control.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-27-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Meanwhile, THIS IS HILARIOUS.

Please allow me to preface this by openly stating (as I have on ETS many times, before) THAT I FUCKING DESPISE CLARENCE THOMAS. The guy is a perverted SEXUAL HARASSER, I can't BELIEVE he managed to slide by the confirmation hearings and everybody completely ignored Anita Hill (and didn't bother interviewing the 4 or 5 other women who had been sexually harassed by Thomas) and JOE BIDEN, I'M LOOKING AT YOU, AND I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU FOR THAT, YOU FUCKING MORON, but Thomas has no less than 4 law clerks at all times and that means REAL ATTORNEYS, not some fucking interns in law school, because he's a lazy asshole who sleeps through most hearings, which clerks do 99.9% of his work, AND Thomas' wife, VIRGINIA, is a FUCKING LOBBYIST, and Thomas should RECUSE HIMSELF from many of the cases that SCOTUS hears because of this, but Thomas should also RECUSE HIMSELF from many cases because he, himself, was at one time involved with the parties in the cases in some way, but the guy has not recused himself from one fucking case, because he is an unconscionable pig who should be IMPEACHED.

Anyway, yeah, the irony of this moron citing Loving v. Virginia in his dissent when the guy is married to a white chick named VIRGINIA is evidently lost on him.

And here is what Chief Justice Warren wrote in his Opinion in that case:

There can be no doubt that restricting the freedom to marry solely because of racial classifications violates the central meaning of the Equal Protection Clause ... The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men. Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence... Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual, and cannot be infringed by the State.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Meanwhile, THIS IS HILARIOUS.

Please allow me to preface this by openly stating (as I have on ETS many times, before) THAT I FUCKING DESPISE CLARENCE THOMAS. The guy is a perverted SEXUAL HARASSER, I can't BELIEVE he managed to slide by the confirmation hearings and everybody completely ignored Anita Hill (and didn't bother interviewing the 4 or 5 other women who had been sexually harassed by Thomas) and JOE BIDEN, I'M LOOKING AT YOU, AND I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU FOR THAT, YOU FUCKING MORON, but Thomas has no less than 4 law clerks at all times and that means REAL ATTORNEYS, not some fucking interns in law school, because he's a lazy asshole who sleeps through most hearings, which clerks do 99.9% of his work, AND Thomas' wife, VIRGINIA, is a FUCKING LOBBYIST, and Thomas should RECUSE HIMSELF from many of the cases that SCOTUS hears because of this, but Thomas should also RECUSE HIMSELF from many cases because he, himself, was at one time involved with the parties in the cases in some way, but the guy has not recused himself from one fucking case, because he is an unconscionable pig who should be IMPEACHED.

Anyway, yeah, the irony of this moron citing Loving v. Virginia in his dissent when the guy is married to a white chick named VIRGINIA is evidently lost on him.

And here is what Chief Justice Warren wrote in his Opinion in that case:
    Man you don't know how refreshing it is to see someone bring up Anita Hill with such passion and moral conviction. I feel the same way and it makes my skin crawl and just reminds me how bad victims of abuse have it in this country. Also I fucking die about how lazy his ass is. Sometimes I gotta laugh at all this to keep from crying.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw a documentary on Anita Hill a few months ago. Man, Clarence Thomas is a dick. How is he still a judge?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Lucy Pawle and CNN are a bunch of dildos

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Yeah... Good god.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Did they ever spot the error of their ways?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    They quickly removed it from their website but haven't issued a correction or apology, as far as I know.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I'm curious what this SCOTUS ruling will do to Alabama's SB377.
    http://truthinmedia.com/alabama-sena...age-licensing/

It still seems like a really great approach to marriage: get govt out of it. The govt can't tell people if they are or aren't allowed to be married. There were several same-sex marriages that happened as a result... but now the SCOTUS ruling gets rid of the state level ban anyway.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I'm curious what this SCOTUS ruling will do to Alabama's SB377.
    http://truthinmedia.com/alabama-sena...age-licensing/

It still seems like a really great approach to marriage: get govt out of it. The govt can't tell people if they are or aren't allowed to be married. There were several same-sex marriages that happened as a result... but now the SCOTUS ruling gets rid of the state level ban anyway.
    Wellll ... The government isn't totally out of it; the government still maintains venue for the purpose of dissolution ...

As this guy said in his comment:

The premise of licensing marriages began in 1868, when the "Republic of the United States" changed its venue to the "Corporation of the United States". As astounding as this may sound, I will not take the time to explain how this happened, because that is also unbelievable.

In short, when licensing for marriages first began, it changed "God" as our third party in our marriages, to the "state" becoming the third party in our marriages. This also means the "state" also has the power over divorces, division of property and to whom the children will be entrusted.

Essentially, licensing for anything by a so-called, "authority", is a government contract, which comes under contract or administrative law, for which our courts are merely enforcers of those contracts and not courts of constitutional law.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    Man you don't know how refreshing it is to see someone bring up Anita Hill with such passion and moral conviction. I feel the same way and it makes my skin crawl and just reminds me how bad victims of abuse have it in this country. Also I fucking die about how lazy his ass is. Sometimes I gotta laugh at all this to keep from crying.
    Are you fucking serious?!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Bad link ...

but, yeah, I think looking at the contents of the link it is similar to the HuffPo link I posted above related to ASSHOLE THOMAS' OPINION

Human dignity cannot be taken away by the government. Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away.
    Because, really, you still have your internal dignity within your heart, and the government doesn't give you dignity. Because Thomas' LAW CLERKS, WHO WROTE THIS, are all hung up on fucking SEMANTICS while trying to come up with some bullshit dissenting Opinion while their boss is taking a nap.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-28-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Yep, it's the same quote.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Ted Cruz, a dude who worked as a clerk for SCOTUS wants to vote em out. Bwahahahhahahaa

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7675528.html

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Hehe, Huckabee said that "when he's president", SCOTUS will be abolished.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Good article from yesterday's NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/us...w-reality.html

It talks about evangelicals and the Supreme Court ruling.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    wow... just.... holy shit

Waaaaaaaah, being an oppressive force against a minority's rights on issues that affect me in absolutely no way is so difficult and scary!

You can't make this shit up.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    A whole lotta butt hurt still going on

christianitys-last-stand-against-gay-marriage-was-in-a-north-dallas

/head desk

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Greece passed a law yesterday allowing civil partnership between homosexual couples.

This type of union offers very little in terms of actual, practical rights (e.g. tax, pension and healthcare rights), but it is a step forward for this country, trust me. At least this trainwreck of a government did something right.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Greece passed a law yesterday allowing civil partnership between homosexual couples.

This type of union offers very little in terms of actual, practical rights (e.g. tax, pension and healthcare rights), but it is a step forward for this country, trust me. At least this trainwreck of a government did something right.
    Word, man... This supposedly "left-wing" government has done little to justify itself.