Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Joy Division/New Order

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Been listening to Get Ready a bit lately. Damn, Crystal's chorus is catchy!
    Love "Crystal". One of my top New Order tracks. Every element of the song is perfect. And yeah, catchy as fuck.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i like the first three tracks from get ready, and that's about all she wrote on new order for me...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "Crystal", "60 Miles an Hour", "Rock the Shack" (Bobby Gillespie vox + Shoot Speed/Kill Light riff = automatic WIN), "Guilt is a Useless Emotion" and "Here to Stay" are the only post-2000 NO tracks that really do it for me.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Seeing New Order twice next month, can't wait!

New Gillian interview:

http://guestlisted.blogspot.com.au/2...interview.html

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    "Crystal", "60 Miles an Hour", "Rock the Shack" (Bobby Gillespie vox + Shoot Speed/Kill Light riff = automatic WIN), "Guilt is a Useless Emotion" and "Here to Stay" are the only post-2000 NO tracks that really do it for me.
    Surprised at "rock the shack" which is almost universally reviled but each to their own. Slowjam is on get ready right? That's my highlight.

Search for "get ready premix" to find a very interesting version of that album (and an excellent music blog hosting it)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'd assume a bunch of people have already seen this, but I was watching it again and it's still amazing. A claymation short movie from 98 set to the song Elegia (one of my favorite NO tracks)

If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Bought a bunch of JD/No vinyl today:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0763712&type=1

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Bought a bunch of JD/No vinyl today:

Nice. I passed on a Pelekon at the last fair I attended; next time! Is that a reissue of brotherhood, and is it in a real foil packet?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Nice. I passed on a Pelekon at the last fair I attended; next time! Is that a reissue of brotherhood, and is it in a real foil packet?
    That's the reissue with new artwork by Peter Saville. It coincided with the crappy Rhino 2-CD deluxe editions.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hooky doing Doubts Even Here -

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    That's the reissue with new artwork by Peter Saville. It coincided with the crappy Rhino 2-CD deluxe editions.
    Thanks. I knew the cd reissue was a print, but that photo *really* looks like a real foil bag is the sound on the vinyl from the remaster too?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Thanks. I knew the cd reissue was a print, but that photo *really* looks like a real foil bag is the sound on the vinyl from the remaster too?
    I believe so, yes, but I haven't opened/played it. I'm 90% sure it is though.

Btw, please check out this discussion I just started regarding Hooky Vs. New Order Now:

http://www.neworderonline.com/Forums...ThreadID=50744

Right then,

Right now it's 1:46 am, humid as all hell and I can't sleep, and with impending New Order gigs (and the potential to pose some questions to the band), along with seeing Hooky again in April, I thought I'd share my thoughts from everything I've seen and read since 2007.

I rarely, if ever, comment upon the whole debacle; I like New Order, I like Hooky, I like Bad Lieutenant, and their personal affairs don't really matter to me, but given the facts of future events just around the corner, I think it's worth having a little think about. For me personally at least.

From what I've gathered (and I'm taking all of this from memory from a vast array of very public interviews posted over the last few years), it started out with Hooky leaving the band. Then we had comments by Bernard saying that it was like a marriage gone sour; things like Hooky "licking his fingers after eating potato chips while having his hands on the steering wheel of the car," and things like that gave him the shits.

Then we hear comments from Hooky saying things like how he really liked Bad Lieutenant and wished Bernard and the other guys all the best. Then, weeks later, stating that he would fuck them over in any way he possibly could.

Then we hear comments from Hooky saying that "it's a real shame," given their legacy and history, while in other moments he has made comments that make him sound entirely relieved to be away from any of the ex-bandmates and is looking to the future (back then, to Freebass, etc).

So, really, all of this constant, CONSTANT hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold leads me to believe that it all really did boil down to one specific event or incident... something which I recall Bernard hinting at in one of the many interviews at one point but never elaborating upon.

So, can we pinpoint what it might be? In one vein we hear solemn regret and well-wishes from Hooky towards Bernard and co., even to Bad Lieutenant, and then the next it's all about lawyers and not being invited to play as New Order. Yet, he goes out and plays Joy Division material.

So, coming from the most rational and well-read perspective that I can, I'm really trying to determine what all this initially stemmed from. What one thing happened for all of this hypocrisy to take place? Hooky was happy to help out in getting the Lost Sirens' released, and that new compilation with Hellbent on it, AND the (albeit shitty) Rhino remasters. So there are good spirits there. There have been good spirits everywhere, in fact, until a week or so later the dissing resumes (i.e. towards Gillian), and the shit hits the fan once again. Then weeks later, based upon precedent, things seem far more mature and level-headed again, and Hooky is once more praising Bernard and co. in a roundabout way, although sometimes even directly.

So having said all that (and please read it all before commenting; I rarely make long posts on here, and I feel this is all very relevant given the fact that they'll all be here in the next two months)... what do you think it all boiled down to? What's with the total hostility - back to being civil - back to hostile attitude?

Please let me reiterate that I adore all members of the band and am in no position nor want to diss any particular member. This is all out of sheer curiosity because of the vast amounts of different testimonies I've read from all parties involved. It's really quite fascinating actually; if you piece it all together, none of it all really makes sense. That's why I feel like it all comes down to some old, fleeting incident that left a bad taste, and instead of addressing it directly it's all become this big massive pile of redundant shit that means nothing, and nothing but well wishes are what truly lie beneath the surface of it all. Either that, or it's one hell of a publicity stunt.

Replies thoroughly welcomed and encouraged!

I'll end on a lyric: "Where will it end?"

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Wow that's a long post :-) I really don't feel like registering at NOO (a site which I have a mild love/hate feeling towards), but my opinion is everyone concerned just needs to move on, us included.

Which reminds me. I think we need a ninwiki like thing for JD/NO, but also for other groups such as the Cure and Numan etc. I can't find anything which seems to offer that at the moment (but NOO has a reasonable song-ography which is why you reminded me of this).

What do you think? Should we set one up?

If we do, I'd suggest that we self host a mediawiki instance, and I can help do that (happy to host it too, really). Wikia offer a very tempting hosting service but all the big wikis I've seen there have tried to move away after (the latest - doomwiki.org); and whilst wikia have helped with data dumps it's been a painful experience and split the community, and the older one doesn't go away... so we'd be better off starting elsewhere. Assuming this hasn't all already been done.

[ Edit for a NO spot: first club scene in the American Psycho movie ]
    Last edited by jmtd; 02-27-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Sounds like a good idea.

At the NZ show last night they dropped 1963 for Round & Round.

Nice to see some more Technique material live again!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    love this band
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 02-27-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I saw Joy Division once, a month before Ian Curtis commited suicide, yes im that old. I was 16 going on 17. In Derby, there is a low quality bootleg of it. I didnt realize their greatness at the time.
    I do remember people badmouthing the singer before the gig saying he was a creep and weird, and that he had been pervy and agressive to some of my friends.
    He was not very nice apparently.
    I had heard and liked Unknown Pleasures but it was the track Transmission that got me going. That was the only song i wanted to hear them play. I wish i had been more aware of the material in order to appreciate it more at the time. I remember it was one of those gigs where every song you hear is great. And you leave wanting to get into more of the bands material.
    They played at the local Punk club where everyone used to come through. Which i used to go to multiple times a week. Saw hundreds of bands there between 1978 and 1982.
    They were not seen in the way they are now back then, they were seen as a bit more hip and challenging and weird compared to the other groups. I was more into Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Slits and the Ramones...had not started to properly immerse myself in the more arty post punk stuff like Throbbing Gristle, Wire, Cabaret Voltaire till not long after this gig.
    But seeing Joy Division is the proudest I WAS THERE moment.
    I have seen New Order about 10 times over the years.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not sure if it was posted earlier, but Jamie Oliver found New Order and Joy Division master tapes in a restaurant basement not too long ago.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    New Order
    Melbourne 1.03.12

Set List
    Elegia
    Crystal
    Regret
    Ceremony
    Age of Consent
    Here to Stay
    Krafty
    BLT
    True Faith
    Temptation
    -
    Blue Monday
    LWTUA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New Order
    Melbourne 1.03.12

Set List
    Elegia
    Crystal
    Regret
    Ceremony
    Age of Consent
    Here to Stay
    Krafty
    BLT
    True Faith
    Temptation
    -
    Blue Monday
    LWTUA
    I didn't notice HTS the first time you sent this to me. Holy!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    First time live I believe.

Hope I get some exclusives at the Sydney shows. Next Wednesday and Saturday!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Just created this FB album with photos, etc, if you want to check out my plans.

Sydney - New Order + Peter Hook Gigs: Before / After

So, here is the plan: Leave work 3pm this Wednesday and go straight to venue. Have all 3 batteries charged for the HD camera, get a front row standing spot and record entire gig with fantastic close-ups as I've previously done with Gary Numan, NIN, etc. Taking the sleeves for Brotherhood (favorite New Order album), Substance and WFTSC with me (the latter more for Phil Cunningham if I meet him, as he only played on that album and Get Ready in 2001). Got my sharpies. Got my shit prepared. The VIP seating for the festival on Saturday sounds really nice, too. Have a read.

//

Regarding the Peter Hook Q & A and subsequent gig for "Closer," they SAY "5 items signed," but Gary Numan signed a ton more than that for people when I saw him, so I'm taking extra vinyls just in case. Plus the set list and photo with Hooky from 2010 to see if he remembers me!

//

So meeting Hooky again is a given (got the VIP package), but I have my fingers, toes and balls crossed that I get to have a drink, take photos and have those New Order sleeves signed by Bernard, Gillian, Steve and Phil after the show, or in the interim between then and the Saturday festival.

//

Note: this album will be constantly updated until after the final show with Hooky on April 14. Wish me luck!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Couldn't help it - had to buy the CD version of the Brotherhood reissue today as well to go with the vinyl. Best NO album ever (imo).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tomorrow!!!!!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    So excited/pumped (full of drugs).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Very long story short (I'll elaborate later): entire gig filmed from the front, middle.

Met the band afterwards, got autographs and videos of me and Bernard and Stephen talking, photos with all current band members. Will upload everything in the next day or two.

Holy shitballs! Then just got my Hooky meet and greet package in the mail for Closer with the laminate, etc.

Didn't get a set list sheet, but when I went backstage Stephen let me take one off the wall.

I'm truly blessed. And still have Gillian's lipstick on my left cheek...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Photos:

Videos to come! (Shots with Bernard are from a video I'll upload soon).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Highlight of Bernard's banter last night before 1963: "What's your name? Speak clearly. One at a time so I can hear you properly. Ok, you first. 'Fuck off you pommy bastard?' Ok, you next. 'Give your love to Robert Smith?' Will do! Oh, I know what you're saying, we're playing with The Cure, aren't we? Well, not 'playing' with them, not like Michael Jackson used to. What's your name? Gianni? Are you Italian? Ok, I'll say hi to Robert Smith for you."

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Uploading first video (1 of 9) now: Elegia, Crystal and Regret.

At one point during Crystal the very happy-looking (ha) security guard asked me if the camera recorded video. I said yeah, and takes photo.. (um?), and he said photos can only be taken. So I said "ok!" and pretended to be snapping photos the whole time while I was actually recording.

That's the way it's done folks!

And here is the playlist once the rest are added: http://www.youtube.com/user/ryandash...g?feature=mhee
    Last edited by Ryan; 03-08-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Here's something funny I forgot to mention: after I gave Gillian the big wrap-around hug photo, she walks up to me and Bernard while we were sitting down and goes "Ryan, give him the "special pose"!", so I wrapped my arms around him and she took a photo with her phone or camera. I have no idea where that photo will turn up. LOL

Also, Stephen Morris took those photos of me and Phil Cunningham. Lovely bunch of people, so bloody nice.

Also, video #2 now added to playlist.