Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Joy Division/New Order

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    That second disc looks juicy -

http://www.neworder.com/newordernow/...e-edition.html

New Order are proud to announce the boxed set release of their debut album Movement on 5th April 2019. The four 12 inch singles that were released around the same period but did not feature on the album will also be released.
    Out of the ashes of Joy Division, the remaining members decided to carry on recording under the name of New Order. The band’s debut album Movement recorded between 24thApril to the 4th May 1981 at Strawberry in Stockport and featuring all new material, produced by Martin Hannett was released in 11th November 1981 on Factory Records.
    The Movement boxed set will include the vinyl LP with its original iconic sleeve designed by Peter Saville, original album CD in replica mini album sleeve, a bonus CD of previously unreleased tracks, DVD of live shows and TV appearances plus hard backed book all housed in a lift off lid box.
    The four 12 inch singles Ceremony original version, Ceremony re-recorded version, Everythings Gone Green and Temptation will be released in their original sleeves, one a week starting on 8thMarch.
    TRACKLISTING
    LP / CD1 (original album)

1. Dreams Never End
    2. Truth
    3. Senses
    4. Chosen Time
    5. ICB
    6. The Him
    7. Doubts Even Here
    8. Denial

CD2 (previously unreleased tracks)

1. Dreams Never End (Western Works Demo)
    2. Homage (Western Works Demo)
    3. Ceremony (Western Works Demo)
    4. Truth (Western Works Demo)
    5. Are You Ready For This? (Western Works Demo)
    6. The Him (Cargo Demo)
    7. Senses (Cargo Demo)
    8. Truth (Cargo Demo)
    9. Dreams Never End (Cargo Demo)
    10. Mesh (Cargo Demo)
    11. ICB (Cargo Demo)
    12. Procession (Cargo Demo)
    13. Cries And Whispers (Cargo Demo)
    14. Doubts Even Here (Instrumental) (Cargo Demo)
    15. Ceremony (1st Mix – Ceremony Sessions)
    16. Temptation (Alternative 7”)
    17. Procession (Rehearsal Recording)
    18. Chosen Time (Rehearsal Recording)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Got the definitive edition......Its a steep price but worth it if you're a hardcore fan....DVD has tons of rare performances on there, the remaster sounds better than the 2008 remaster and the bonus disc is awesome. The Cargo demos are fully formed demos with Bernard doing vocals for most of the songs (Peter does vocals on Mesh)...I was worried these were going to be half ass instrumental sketches etc but these demos are awesome alternate versions....
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 04-09-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    It seems like the amount of rarities these guys have in the vaults is near limitless.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I just now learned that Bernard covered Bowie’s “Be My Wife” in February at Carnegie Hall:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/new-o...y-39519d3.html

...but I can’t find it anywhere on YouTube. Can anyone help?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....ll-791858/amp/

New Order — “well, sort of New Order” as leader Bernard Sumner qualified his band — paid tribute to David Bowie with a version of “Be My Wife” that showed how much the two men’s voices have in common. (Sumner added that Bowie “was a huge influence on Joy Division back in the day.”) The group also delivered magnificent readings of their “Ceremony” and “Love Vigilantes.” On the latter, Sumner sang the signature couplets “I want to see/My family/My wife and child/Waiting for me” in his plaintive high tenor, conjuring images of despicable ICE activity at the U.S. borders.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    ^ First one for I Remember Nothing premieres in an hour:

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Mary Ann Hobbs on BBC 6 Music played Unknown Pleasures in its entirety and almost interrupted (quick intermission to flip the sides, figuratively)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005vss

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened to Unknown Pleasures in the car today and was sad i wasn't at home to put on my vinyl copy haha

amazing that it still sounds like a groundbreaking album 40 years after its release

@jmtd how's that 40th anniversary red vinyl sound? i have the 30th anniversary one (i believe the bottom one in your photo) and it's pretty good, love the textured sleeve.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Only one listen so far and I haven't A/B-ed them (probably won't) but it sounds great

I bought the black one in either 2007 or 2008, I think before the 30th reissue. Did they remaster it?
    Last edited by jmtd; 06-22-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Only one listen so far and I haven't A/B-ed them (probably won't) but it sounds great

I bought the black one in either 2007 or 2008, I think before the 30th reissue. Did they remaster it?
    i'm pretty sure that release was remastered, yeah. (according to discogs, that's a yes) it's the one i have and i like it quite a lot.

it does not appear that the new 40th anniversary edition was remastered, but it's unclear whether they used the 2007 remaster or the 2015 remaster (which i'm guessing are different?)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    No sir, I don’t like it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    these new videos are trash.

i mean fine for some other bands i guess. but not for Joy Division.

its clear that this is a corporate cash grab at this point.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Big nope for this one.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Ugh.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    they need to seriously stop with this. its gross. the hate toward every single one of these videos ought to be some kind of sign to them to rethink this project.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    You can try to stop it but it keeps on comin’!

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just FYI, for the next hike to watch sunrise I chose New Order and created this "the best of" playlist:

01 Vanishing Point instrumental
    02 Run
    03 Bizarre Love Triangle
    04 Your Silent Face
    05 Ruined In A Day
    06 Times Change
    07 Turn My Way
    08 Californian Grass
    09 1963
    10 Avalanche
    11 Academic
    12 Nothing but a Fool
    13 Close Range
    14 Ive Got A Feeling
    15 Love Vigilantes
    16 Elegia
    17 Here To Stay
    18 Vanishing Point

(played on mobile speaker, not loudly, just enough to let the bears know we're there)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Interesting choices. No "sunrise"?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Just FYI, for the next hike to watch sunrise I chose New Order and created this "the best of" playlist:

01 Vanishing Point instrumental
    02 Run
    03 Bizarre Love Triangle
    04 Your Silent Face
    05 Ruined In A Day
    06 Times Change
    07 Turn My Way
    08 Californian Grass
    09 1963
    10 Avalanche
    11 Academic
    12 Nothing but a Fool
    13 Close Range
    14 Ive Got A Feeling
    15 Love Vigilantes
    16 Elegia
    17 Here To Stay
    18 Vanishing Point

(played on mobile speaker, not loudly, just enough to let the bears know we're there)
    abridged or full-length "elegia"?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    abridged or full-length "elegia"?
    I love the long version, but for this purpose I chose the shorter one. Btw, hike done, everyone survived, all good. :-)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    The only one that doesn’t completely suck so far!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Prague, Czech Republic, 10/3: perfect show!

NEW ORDER in Prague for the first time ever, also my first NO live. It was at the same venue as NIN in 2014, a bit rainy but nice autumn evening. It started at 8 PM with Chinese (!) band "Stolen" and let me tell you that when something like here around 4 minute mark plays so loud (I was near the control place, I saw max 106 dB during Stolen and 108 dB during NO) that everything changes (fixed later: everything SHAKES haha) it is seriosly hypnotising:

I was reading some interview with them and yes, they mentioned also Nine Inch Nails indeed. :-)

NEW ORDER - some songs were so changed that I confess I wasn't sure what it is until Barney started singing (Bizzare Love Triangle, True Faith) which is good, yes he needs to read the lyrics and sometimes wasn't sure but no problem :-), Stephen I didn't see much at all, sound was good enough, I hope we welcomed them OK so they were happy to be there with us. I wasn't sure about e.g. Tutti Frutti (don't like that one much) but overall also the newer songs (Plastic especially) worked fine.

For me, Regret, Your silent face, Temptation, Love will tear us apart were the top.

Fun fact: When I mentioned NEW ORDER to someone they were like "who?" and I was like "well they're around for some 40 years only so not everyone noticed them..." (no, not really) :-) So I was travelling from Slovakia alone but that's OK, I can find my way.

Btw, shouldn't Sumner be credited more as guitarist? I feel he has amazing precise timing with that quick, how it's called, really fast repeated strums you know.

(Also, why "19" on the merchandise shirts? What 19? Wait... like 2019 I think... need some sleep sorry, lot of changing trains and waiting this night heh.)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    ^ They did Fine Time for the first time since 1998!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Really dissapointed with last night's show in Munich. Bernard seemed confused and totally butchered "blue monday" on the keys. What was that, honestly? Apart from a general weak stage persona he also "had to take a leak" down the line... I thoroughly enjoyed the JD songs but we got cut short 4 songs and there was no "transmission" or "she lost control", yet "atmosphere", which sadly is one of the JD tracks I never understood why so many people loved and covered it (incl. Trent, Mark Lanegan...)

The light show went from beautiful to cringy to very cool and I liked the JD tribute during "love will tear us apart". Also a little sad they didn't play "crystal", but that's just me...

Stolen, the opening act, on the other hand was a beast! It's been some time since I've seen such a captivating opening act and their sound really reminded me a lot of some of the more aggressive NIN, Ministry stuff with some New Order/8os pop-appeal thrown into the harsh mix. I will definitely hunt these guys down a little more. That was a truly insane display and just what I needed!

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Hopefully this one isn’t another train wreck.