Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Joy Division/New Order

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Joy Division/New Order

So New Order have reformed (without Peter Hook, he's still being bitchy). However, good news for us Australians: NO are scheduled to come here (currently Gillian Gilbert is back on keys), as well as Hooky doing CLOSER in April (got me a meet and greet package for that). The current touring video ad features clips I recorded from the Unknown Pleasures gig last year which is kinda cool:

http://www.neworderonline.com/Forums...ThreadID=50152

El Jarvo wrote:
    Is that New Order going to Australia?

Or the Morrises just taking their daughters to Australia for a holiday?
    Google Translator had better days, I'll try to explain this one

R - What is next?
    GG - We'll play more festivals and we are going to Australia. We're not thinking about recording for now, we're just enjoying the whole thing.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Waiting for the Siren's Call is fantastic, and will probably always be my favorite by N.O. I also saw them back in 2005 at Coachella.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malechite View Post
    Waiting for the Siren's Call is fantastic, and will probably always be my favorite by N.O. I also saw them back in 2005 at Coachella.
    "Lost Sirens" will be out soon featuring unreleased WFTSC tracks:

1. Ill Stay with You (4.22)
    2. Sugarcane (4.47)
    3. Recoil (5.08)
    4. Californian Grass (4.38)
    5. Hellbent (4.28)
    6. Shake it Up (5.21)
    7. Ive Got a Feeling (4.29)
    8. I Told You So (5.05)

LP + CD:

http://www.neworderonline.com/Forums...ThreadID=50075

"I Told You So" is an unreleased remix (not sure if it is the Stuart Price one that was on a vinyl release previously), and "Hellbent" was recently released on a new compilation, although this version might be extended, not sure.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/new...-1226213070717

INFLUENTIAL British band New Order will co-headline the Future Music Festival in March. The band rarely tours and last visited Australia in 2002 for the Big Day Out.

http://www.newordernow.net
    Last edited by Ryan; 12-03-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I still can't accept New Order without Peter Hook. It feels so wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I still can't accept New Order without Peter Hook. It feels so wrong.
    jihad to that.

Why this band would even consider touring, collaborating or even calling itself New Order without Hook is beyond comprehension. Remember when Joy Division said they'd cease to call themselves Joy Division if any of them left or died? Same principle here

I know Hook can be a douchemuffin extraordinaire, but it's not New Order without him. Simple as that

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I can't really get into New Order. Absolutely LOVE Joy Division. But New Order, not so much. No matter how hard I try to like it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I can't really get into New Order. Absolutely LOVE Joy Division. But New Order, not so much. No matter how hard I try to like it.
    Quoting a post from three years back because I've been into JD for some years now but held off getting into NO at all, fearing it would be too synthpoppy for my tastes. I checked out Movement and Power, Corruption and Lies last night, and while I loved Movement, with the exception of "Leave Me Alone" off PC&L I think I've hit a brick wall. Good stuff, just not what I'm into.

EDIT: Ventured farther today up to Brotherhood. Hit Bizarre Love Triangle and had one of those "wait, THEY did this song?" moments.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 11-04-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Quoting a post from three years back because I've been into JD for some years now but held off getting into NO at all, fearing it would be too synthpoppy for my tastes. I checked out Movement and Power, Corruption and Lies last night, and while I loved Movement, with the exception of "Leave Me Alone" off PC&L I think I've hit a brick wall. Good stuff, just not what I'm into.

EDIT: Ventured farther today up to Brotherhood. Hit Bizarre Love Triangle and had one of those "wait, THEY did this song?" moments.
    i've always preferred movement, low-life, and the early singles. always felt power corruption and lies was a bit overrated, especially compared to the surrounding albums and singles.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It's quite the opposite for me. Joy Division is undeniably great, but New Order has always been much more special to me.

The lack of Hooky in the reformation is disappointing (but not exactly surprising), but Gillian is back so colour me a little bit excited!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Is there possibly a good starting point to ease into it? I actually want to like them, but can't. Heh. Kinda sucks since they did such amazing work in Joy Division, but I can't get into any of the New Order stuff (that I've heard).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Is there possibly a good starting point to ease into it? I actually want to like them, but can't. Heh. Kinda sucks since they did such amazing work in Joy Division, but I can't get into any of the New Order stuff (that I've heard).

Hooky on vocals on that last one.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Well alright! I guess i'll be giving them another shot afterall. A little iffy on Sabotage though... The other stuff, I really liked.
    Last edited by Piko; 12-04-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Sabotage is a b-side from the 2001 Get Ready sessions. I just really like it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Scooped up Movement. Really, really nice. Kinda picks up where Closer left off.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    piko, is it the 80s synths that prevent you from getting into new order? makes sense then, that movement would be the next go-to record, and why you might not get much enjoyment out of power, corruption, and lies or low-life (my personal favorite). that said, try these two songs and see what you make of them:

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's the synths. I've listened to movement, which I really like. Power, Corruption, and Lies is pretty nifty too.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    try that first track i posted, then. it came out right after movement and before power, corruption, and lies. all that in between stuff was collected here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_%E...%E2%80%93_1982

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I'm way more into Joy Division than New Order as well. For me, I think it's the fact that they've done a lot of dance-y stuff and I'm just not into that. I have The Best of New Order and I think it satisfies my interest. I really love "Touched By The Hand Of God", though.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    05 Future Music Festival Confirmed

Monday, December 5, 2011 at 6:35PM
    New Order will play the Future Music Festival in Australia March 2012. We are very happy to be returning after a long time away.
    3rd March: Brisbane: Doomben Racecourse – Hampden Street, Ascot, Brisbane 4006

4th March: Perth: Arena Joondalup, Kennedy Drive, Joondalup, Perth 6027

10th March: Sydney: Royal Randwick Racecourse, Alison Road, Randwick, Sydney 2031

11th March: Melbourne: Flemington Racecourse, 400 Epsom Road, Melbourne 3031

12th March: Adelaide: Ellis Park, LOT 519 Glover Avenue, Adelaide, 5000
    For all ticketing information see:

www.ticketmaster.com.au/futuremusic/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If it weren't for Gillian being back in, I'd feel the same way. But I'm keeping an open mind at this stage.

Also, don't come to me for New Order recommendations if you're not into the synth. Low-Life, Technique and Republic is the Holy Trinity for me :P

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I like some of the synth dancey stuff, but some of it's just a little too much. Huge depeche mode fan, so I like synth music. I've heard Movement, Corruption, Substance, and some of Republic.

Are there any other songs with Hook on vocals? The two on Movement are ace.
    Last edited by Piko; 12-07-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    New Order is Dead. But Peter Hook and The Light performing Unknown Pleasures Live is absolutely amazing. Its steadily climbing my personal charts of release of the year. Its frigging amazing.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Does Hook sing? I remember hearing about a year ago that he would play the album. Heard mixed things... But it is kinda weird for New Order to continue with him. Joy Division wasn't Joy Division without Ian. A bit hypocritical, but if the music's good, whatever.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Does Hook sing? I remember hearing about a year ago that he would play the album. Heard mixed things... But it is kinda weird for New Order to continue with him. Joy Division wasn't Joy Division without Ian. A bit hypocritical, but if the music's good, whatever.
    Check out my recordings of him doing all of Unknown Pleasures live last year. He really pulled it off amazingly well, along with older songs like Walked In Line and Glass -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I cannot imagine Unknown Pleasures begin sung by anyone but Ian Curtis. As far as I'm concerned that's a travesty beyond measure, I don't give a shit who sings it.

New Order is a decent band, but they never really approached Joy Division level at all in my opinion. Still, I've always respected them for forming a new band and not really cashing in on the success of Joy Division and by association the tragic death of Ian. Which is why I find it odd that Peter Hook is now doing just that.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    piko, new order occasionally played JD songs in concert, especially in more recent years. mostly the bigger tracks. pretty sure they've played 'love will tear us apart,' 'transmission,' etc...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Have they ever played any of the Joy Division songs live? Maybe it's a cash in, or maybe he geniunely missed those songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If it's simply a case of missing the songs, which I can understand, why not just play the songs with friends in private? If it's a matter of just enjoying to play that material, why does he need to have a crowd there and charge money for it?

I don't know, I just find it pretty sleazy. I felt the same way when Alice In Chains reformed with their new singer. It's especially repellent in these two cases to me because both singers ended up succumbing to the personal demons that were described to varying degrees in their lyrics. Having someone else sing lyrics that discuss Curtis' inner turmoil and epilepsy or Staley's battles with addiction just seems wrong to me.

What's funny to me in the case of Alice In Chains is that Jerry Cantrell wrote most of the lyrics for AIC, Layne only wrote the lyrics for a couple songs, so it would be very easy to just not play Man In The Box but nope, the paying customer wants it so they're going to play it.
    Last edited by Pemulis; 12-07-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, I guess it is kinda weird for someone to be singing Ian's words.