Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Joy Division/New Order

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    And here is the playlist once the rest are added: http://www.youtube.com/user/ryandash...g?feature=mhee
    All videos are now up.

Also, having a chat with Barney about Hooky then Gillian taking a photo of us at the end asking me to hug him, so I do. lol

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150673245128713

Also, chatting with Stephen -

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150673269933713

And Phil making me lol -

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150673275343713
    Last edited by Ryan; 03-09-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Ryan, I am so fucking jealous of you mate.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Pure luck!

Here is the festival:

New Order [HD - 1 of 7] - Crystal / Regret (Live, Sydney, Future Music, March 10, 2012) -

Playlist for this one:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Pure luck!

Here is the festival:

New Order [HD - 1 of 7] - Crystal / Regret (Live, Sydney, Future Music, March 10, 2012) -

Playlist for this one:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all

Ceremony / Bizarre Love Triangle -

True Faith -

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    5 8 6 (featuring Gillian giving me a wave!) -

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    The Perfect Kiss -

Blue Monday -

Temptaion - (featuring a look at the crowd behind me and Norbert's gigantic microphone getting thrown about)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Friend pulled a muscle in her neck: "I was trying to dance like Ian Curtis!" Spaz...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    pretty immense, ryan! glad you had a great time. would love to hear 586 live!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing, Ryan!

My immediate thoughts from the photos were: Wow they're looking *OLD*!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    shit man, just catching up on this thread.... great stuff all around Ryan!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    shit man, just catching up on this thread.... great stuff all around Ryan!
    ...now I just need to do the same thing with Depeche...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ...now I just need to do the same thing with Depeche...
    my jealousy may then outweigh my happiness for you, and I'd have to hunt you down you bastard :P

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

note: that's Tom Chapman, not Stephen Morris. Nice job, editor!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hooky's tour of Closer in Australia has been postponed.

In any case, here's a video interview.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...a-music-video/

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Zomg new uk dates announced. Including Newcastle in three days time! Ordered.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Good gig. Some technical problems. I don't think the band/Barney enjoyed it: first encore to lack the JD tracks: just blue Monday. New folks have a lot of energy, especially bassist.

Met Tarquin the taper. Nice guy.

Edit: setlist http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/new-or...-4bdfb3fa.html

NOO complain-athon: http://forums.neworderonline.com/def...x?g=posts&t=88
    Last edited by jmtd; 05-11-2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: some links

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

currently dubbing these from VHS to dvd. seen a few clips on youtube but never the whole shows. man, stephen morris is a BEAST on the kit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Might be of interest to some here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CEYIRC/

The First Time I Heard Joy Division / New Order is Part I in an ongoing series where musicians and writers tell their stories of first hearing the music of an iconic artist or band. In this first volume, forty-five different musicians and writers remember their initial experiences hearing the seminal post-punk UK band Joy Division and/or its offshoot, New Order.

Contributors to the Joy Division / New Order edition include musicians such as Adam Franklin (Swervedriver); David Lewis Gedge (The Wedding Present); Emma Anderson (Lush); Aidan Baker; Lou Rhodes (Lamb); Christophe Den Tandt (The Names); Pieter Nooten (Clan of Xymox); Brian Thornell (Earlimart, One Way Driver); Count (Halou); Mark Refoy (Slipstream, Spiritualized); Shane Butler (Quilt); Mia Clarke (Electrelane); David Hawes (Catherine Wheel); Matt Kadane (Bedhead, Consonant); Matt Elliott (The Third Eye Foundation); Mike VanPortfleet (Lycia); Thomas Meluch (Benoit Pioulard); Ari Neufeld (Breathless); Morgane Lhote (Stereolab); Matt Jencik (Implodes); Ben Mullins (Midwest Product); Philip King (Lush, The Jesus & Mary Chain); Dexter Tortoriello (Houses); Tim Keegan (Robyn Hitchcock); Steve Hovington (B-Movie); Matt Keppel (Microfilm); Henry Frayne (Lanterna); James Chapman (Maps); Greg Bertens (Film School); Steve Elkins (The Autumns); Jon Attwood (Yellow6); Mark Beazley (Rothko); Nigel Humberstone (In the Nursery); Dawn Smithson (Jessamine); and writers like James Greer (also onetime member of Guided By Voices); Mitch Cullin; Sylvia Sellers-Garcia; Ben Kopel; Alistair McCartney; D. Travers Scott; Mark Gluth; Ian Johnston; Daniel Allen Cox; Jaime Clarke; and Sheri Joseph.

The "First Time I Heard" book series is edited by Scott Heim, a novelist (Mysterious Skin, We Disappear) who is also a longtime music fan. Other installments in the series (or those forthcoming soon) include books on David Bowie, The Smiths, Kate Bush, Cocteau Twins, R.E.M., Kraftwerk, My Bloody Valentine, Abba, Roxy Music, The Pixies, and others.
    Was going to post this when it was still in Kickstarter phase, but completely forgot about the project (which I pledged to) until I got the email today to redeem my copy. Definitely worth checking out. Cant wait for the rest of the series!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    some nice names there. love lycia, the names, in the nursery, breathless, nooten solo & xymox, b-movie, etc. book sounds pretty cool, too!

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    so NME has picked Love Will Tear Us Apart as number 1 in their list of the "top 60 songs released in NME's lifetime"

I love Joy Division, but really?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Yes.

ten fucking characters

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i can handle that. the top 20 is pretty solid, give or take a few.

what i CAN'T abide, however, is the killers making no. 11 on the reader's poll. really?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    i can handle that. the top 20 is pretty solid, give or take a few.

what i CAN'T abide, however, is the killers making no. 11 on the reader's poll. really?
    I don't mean to derail the thread, and these "top whatever lists" are usually ridiculous, but they lost me when they placed Oasis above anything by the Beatles... and that "Fix Up, Look Sharp" song? Really?
    I love Joy Division, but Love Will Tear Us Apart is far from my favorite JD song.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "Blue Monday" is better!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Love Will Tear us Apart is a pretty atypical JD tune & I am eternally mystified as to why it enjoys such acclaim!

This is from a serious JD fanboy as well, I like every single track they ever recorded - except that one.

that NME list was bollocks by the way, no queen, zeppelin, sabbath, NIN, sleater kinney, velvets, doors, iggy or stooges, nirvana, massive attack, NWA, pink floyd, the who, beastie boys, kate bush, lou reed, johnny cash, patti smith, strokes, white stripes...

got dizzee rascal though :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A reason why i and many many others have always found Ian Curtis voice so fucking powerful is because it sounds like he is trying to convey strength with his deep monotone voice. Rather than being nihilistic and just screaming. It does not sound like he is wallowing in self pity.

Its a typical British reserve thing, to show emotion or pain is a sign of weakness. Sounds like he is trying really hard against the odds to be strong.
    But he just cant do it.
    You can hear the struggle. Only 23 years old!

Unknown Pleasures is such a powerful thing its like Martin Hannet captured and framed something too great to be called just music.

Not to be a hippie but........Music is a mysterious thing, always found it an encapsulation of something bigger than human logic or 'me'. This record from the album cover to the production really really taps into something else. Somewhere else. It goes places.....that not many other records since 1979 have been able to.
    With Unknown Pleasures and this band EVERYTHING came together.
    Heart and Soul!!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I am just getting into these guys, love 'em.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Love Will Tear us Apart is a pretty atypical JD tune & I am eternally mystified as to why it enjoys such acclaim!

This is from a serious JD fanboy as well, I like every single track they ever recorded - except that one.
    Same here. Even among the more catchy pop stuff that the band did, I've always preferred songs like Disorder, Transmission.

I'll bet a lot of it's just cause "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is a really iconic title/lyric. I had a class with a girl who wore a JD tshirt with that song title written across the front, so I asked her one day which joy division album was her favorite and she was like "uh, who?"....She said she only bought the shirt cause she thought it was a cool phrase, didn't even know it was a song.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    hey now, guys. i can understand being completely sick of it, but it's a pretty flawless pop song. they have better, certainly, but until it (and most of joy division's imagery and artwork) got sold to us en masse, it was pretty fucking iconic. especially considering it's the band's last single...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's a fantastic tune.
    the lyrics are incredible as well. I posted a cool cover of it a few pages back. Nothing like the original but really let's the words shine.