Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Broken City

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Broken City

Not sure about the validity of this but sounds promising.

Film Music Reporter reveals that Ross has been hired to score the upcoming Allen Hughes thriller, "Broken City." Starring a pretty great cast, including Mark Wahlberg, Russell Crowe, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jeffrey Wright, Kyle Chandler, Griffin Dunne, James Ransone and more, the story follows Billy Taggart (Wahlberg), an ex-cop thrown off the force after shooting a 16-year-old kid. Eight years on, he’s working as a private detective and is hired by the colorful incumbent (Crowe) in the New York mayoral race to investigate his wife’s (Zeta-Jones) infidelity. Taggart, however, digs up much, much more, including a shady real estate deal that points to city corruption.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...HVvWcs.twitter

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Is it confirmed now? Yay, I heard the rumour months back, but I didn't want to bring it up in case it was a false lead

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Sounds like a good movie. That he's attached to do the score makes it even more interesting, I'd think it would have been given to one of the usual suspects of scoring hollywood fare (or Cliff Martinez, who's getting a lot more work now since Drive​).

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Well, he's worked with Allen Hughes a few times before (Touching Evil US, Book of Eli and New York, I Love You), I guess they know each other well enough now.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The theatrical trailer is out, and by the sound of the (very small amount of original) music, it's going to be a big departure in terms of score http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/brokencity/

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Aaand it's now up for download on Amazon (don't know if it'll be on physical or not though)

Also, happy birthday Atticus

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Now on Spotify.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Broken City

First listen today. Was awesome. Lots to remind me of "book of Eli", and ghosts.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    "Cut Rate Dick" is pretty rad! This soundtrack is pretty great -- seems very Lynch to me. I wonder if the movie is any good.

Side-note: I wonder if Atticus & co. use the TR studio for this stuff or if they're off on their own.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Atticus + Claudia have a home studio (or at least had one a few years back, I assume it's still there), so they probably use that. Though Book of Eli also used a lot of Universal's space, albeit because of the wide usage of live orchestra elements.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "Bad Connection" is great. Totally reminds me of Social Network.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Atticus + Claudia have a home studio (or at least had one a few years back, I assume it's still there), so they probably use that. Though Book of Eli also used a lot of Universal's space, albeit because of the wide usage of live orchestra elements.
    Interesting bit of trivia. Atticus and Claudia's studio was put together by Atticus and Justin Warfield (of She Wants Revenge/One Inch Punch/TAPE) fame. Justin was a featured vocalist on the Bomb the Bass album Clear on the first track that I'm aware of that Atticus and Claudia worked together on, "Brain Dead". One of Justin's LA bands prior to She Wants Revenge was TAPE, a project that included another frequent 12 Rounds collaborator, Kirk Hellie. Kirk Hellie also watched a lot of Jerry Springer back in the day.

I have no idea why I just shared those "fun facts".

-Erik
    Last edited by Erik; 02-08-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I know why Kirk Hellie (the dude who appears on two tracks) is familiar - he was a multi instrumentalist on 12 Rounds' never-released third album.

I wonder if the music was reused from 12R or if they just brought him back for more?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This score is so brilliant. If you haven't heard it yet, you really need to jump on it. I like it more than Book of Eli soundtrack. I think "Bleeding Heart" might be my favorite song, but the whole thing is fucking fantastic. The title track is another highlight for me. There's parts of the album that sound reminiscent of The Social Network, Dragon Tattoo, and Book of Eli while still crafting its own identity - there's the best of every world.

I was blown away by Atticus' Rdio playlist, too, so I need to create my own replica of that so I always have it on hand. Awesome night time music right there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm listening to this score for the first time an I love it (I also loved The Book of Eli's score) and I can't help but wonder how much of TR's and AR's shared works has been created by Atticuss and how much has been created by Trent.

I don't mean Trent is taking credit for music composed and/or produced by Atticuss or viceversa, I mean that when I listen to their works I really would like to know which parts are Trent's and which parts were created by Atticuss. For instance Atticus said that the piano in "Hand Covers Bruise" was Trent's idea, I would like to know more info like that, how they work together, how much of the music and the sound belongs to each of them, because Trent has made amazing stuff by himself before working with Atticuss, but AR has also proved to be as good with his own works, and when I'm listening this soundtrack I feel that its sound and music has a lot in common with all the stuff they have released together, so I would like to know how they actually work in the studio.

I've read how Trent usually plays some stuff and then Atticuss works with it, but that's not very informative. Their music has so many layers and sounds that I have to constantly wonder: "Was that piano melody Trent's idea or was it created by Atticuss?", "Who has produced this amazing sound for this track?", "How much is TR and how much is actually AR?" I guess I just want a "making of" for their works or something like that. XD

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I hated the movie, but the soundtrack sounded beautiful, as if it deserved to be in a better movie. I'm listening to the soundtrack right now, and it's so great.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Did anyone pick up the DVD/BD? I can't really afford to buy a DVD for a film I didn't like, but there is a BTS doc with "everyone involved" apparently, and I assume that includes Atticus.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is funny, I just watched this movie thinking "hmm, not bad music, kinda reminds me HTDA or something, I'm gonna keep this film on my NAS", during ending credits was checking e-mails, glanced back on TV screen just in time to see the music credits, and it made me laugh for some reason, I had no idea. :-D

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I finally got around the watching this and I thought it was very good for what it was. The score and the film. Really don't get why it got so badly dumped on. It was a cool big city detective story wit Hughes bros. style storytelling. It has a distinct vibe, a great cast, the music is perfect, and the story isn't as convoluted as I expected. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Good old alerts has told me the CD is coming out for the soundtrack. Over a year later. Such a ... interesting marketing call.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TDO7FM2YFSHASQ