Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1268

Thread: The Cure

  1. #1231
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,105
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Meh. just put the album out already.

  2. #1232
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    2,477
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    In my head there's a racetrack of announced, promised and unreleased projects. It's been there for about three years. The runners are:

    -That new Guns N' Roses album that was apparently being recorded
    -The Cure's Live From The Moon
    -The Cure's 4:14 Scream
    -The Cure In Orange on Blu-Ray or DVD
    -The Cure's Wish reissue
    -The Smashing Pumpkins' Machina reissue
    -That Sisters of Mercy album Andrew Eldritch once said he'd release if Trump got elected

    Once upon a time a new Tool album was on that track, so they won. Currently I'd call Machina halfway to the finish line. Live From The Moon is in third place, maybe. Nothing else has left the starting position.

  3. #1233
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,954
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Don't forget Reflections!

  4. #1234
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    5,379
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    In my head there's a racetrack of announced, promised and unreleased projects. It's been there for about three years. The runners are:

    -That new Guns N' Roses album that was apparently being recorded
    -The Cure's Live From The Moon
    -The Cure's 4:14 Scream
    -The Cure In Orange on Blu-Ray or DVD
    -The Cure's Wish reissue
    -The Smashing Pumpkins' Machina reissue
    -That Sisters of Mercy album Andrew Eldritch once said he'd release if Trump got elected

    Once upon a time a new Tool album was on that track, so they won. Currently I'd call Machina halfway to the finish line. Live From The Moon is in third place, maybe. Nothing else has left the starting position.
    You forgot Limp Bizkit's new album, lol...

    But seriously, were's the new Sisters of Mercy album!!!???

  5. #1235
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,293
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I hate to be the dissenter, but I just spun the first disc of the Bloodflowers pic disc reissue and I have no intentions of spinning the second. Sounds like shit IMO.

    Robert's vocals have some kind of weird static associated with them. It's not sibilance, exactly. All the sounds just kind of mud together. It might be my set-up/needle/phase of the moon, I dunno. Really disappointed but at least it looks pretty.

    *edit - just switched over to my vinyl copy of the self titled album and this is exactly what I want my vinyl to sound like.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 09-11-2020 at 05:19 PM.

  6. #1236
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,954
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'd love another acoustic-heavy record like Bloodflowers.

  7. #1237
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,430
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I'd love another record
    fixed that for you

  8. #1238
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,954
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    fixed that for you
    lol

  9. #1239
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I'd love another acoustic-heavy record like Bloodflowers.
    On the Brussels / Berlin 2002 trilogy shows, Bloodflowers was clearly the weaker part ! Really not easy after Pornography / Disintegration or even some Kiss me as encores !

    But I do remember Christmas 1999 when I first listened to it as it was leaked (and my brother got an ADSL connection).

    The Dream Tour was also really really good.. one of the greatest tour with so much surprises

  10. #1240
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A warm place
    Posts
    1,293
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Bloodflowers should have been their final album (until this new one that is probably never coming out). The self-titled album was a fine modern-day Cure album, but 4:13 Dream was an absolute mess. Horrendous production and every song sounds like a ripoff of a prior Cure song. You could say the same thing about Bloodflowers, but at least the band was trying to self-consciously create a classic Cure album with that one..

  11. #1241
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    2,134
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Iíve never got into 4:13 dream. Blood flowers was released at about the time I was discovering the cure for real and it really sounded like it would be their final album (I canít remember which lyrics in particular). But then the same thing happened with self-titled, ďalt.endĒ I took to mean the recording was under duress and Smith was past done.

  12. #1242
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,293
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Iíve never got into 4:13 dream. Blood flowers was released at about the time I was discovering the cure for real and it really sounded like it would be their final album (I canít remember which lyrics in particular). But then the same thing happened with self-titled, ďalt.endĒ I took to mean the recording was under duress and Smith was past done.
    Robert very much directly asserted that Bloodflowers was their final album and tour at the time. The infamous Roskilde tragedy of 2000 pushed their set back to 2001, not sure if that had anything to do with changing plans. He/they loved the tour and ended up doing more festivals in 2002 along with the greatest hits album, and that just snowballed into more activity. I feel like he had claimed the end of the band several times before though, so maybe more longstanding fans knew to take it with a grain of salt. I was just becoming a fan in 98/99 as well, so I was disappointed in the notion that it was supposed to be their swan song. That being said, nothing since the 2016 tour came close to touching Bloodflowers/the dream tour for me. That was a really special time.

  13. #1243
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Bloodflowers was always really hard for me to get into, but ever since I picked up the picture disc version I've been listening to it again. I forgot how many great songs are on that album. It really is a good record - not my favorite- but it's really solid. Similar to The Fragile, I think it's a mood record. I gotta be in the right mindset to listen to the whole thing front to back. I actually really enjoyed their self-titled album. There's some great cuts on there like "The Promise," "Anniversary," and "Us or Them." 4:13....it's an album. It's okay. There are songs I like, but overall it's pretty forgettable.

  14. #1244
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    956
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Bloodflowers should have been their final album (until this new one that is probably never coming out). The self-titled album was a fine modern-day Cure album, but 4:13 Dream was an absolute mess. Horrendous production and every song sounds like a ripoff of a prior Cure song. You could say the same thing about Bloodflowers, but at least the band was trying to self-consciously create a classic Cure album with that one..
    Not gonna lie, I agree with this all the way.

  15. #1245
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    1,046
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The final show of the Pornography tour in 1982 was supposed to be the end of the band. Especially after Simon was out and Robert put the band in ice for several months...There are interviews dating back to 1984 where Robert says The Top was going to be the final Cure album.....The last show of the 1989 Prayer tour was supposed to be their final show ever. Even when he dropped the 2004 S/T album, he was hinting that it was the final album. Robert has talked about ending the band so many times, it has become comical

  16. #1246
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Cure was my major band since something like 1994. I was young, ill at ease.

    My first Cure show (and second one after a Gun's live in 1993) was in 1996.

    Then I saw them twice in 1998

    For the dream Tour, I did :

    - the four promo gigs : Hamburg / Brussel / London / Paris. A fabulous trip !

    after this I don't count how many gigs for the europe Dream tour : 10 ? 15 ?
    A real lot of Europe 2002 tour too : 8 ? 9 ?
    all trilogy tour and Hamburg in the middle : 4
    and a few very small venues

    ...

    at the end something like 45 gigs in more or less than 10 years..
    I was a huge taper (nearly all show minus one or two) and a huge trader.

    And one day It was too much.. I do remember a live at Carhaix (2005 ?) with Plainsong so badly played. Porl was just back but he wasn't the same ! I cried just for this, after a 10 hours driving to the festival : badly played Plainsong : no !!

    I stop.. began to listen to NIN..

    I keep buying albums but Robert voice sounds like a owl too often.. And every new songs sounds like a mix of two old songs..
    Bestival cound be a good live album but no..

    I saw them again in 2016... not a magical moment.. I will never see them again.

    I still love a really lot of albums and bloodflowers is one of them. Each time I listen to "Out of this world" I remember the 10 or 15 times I have the Barber's Adagio live before. it was great.. and this bloody tour was so perfect with the Pornography or Faith encore ! The set were merely the same but the encores were perfect !

    Nowadays, Wish is in my top 5.. I really disliked the Wish Tour and this kind of "cure rock" but in fact it sounds really good. Porl was great... and "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea" is a kind of "Terrible lie" for Robert : always played at each shows since it was released.

  17. #1247
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Stabbing Westward released a pretty good cover of Burn on the Coldwaves 2020 Compilation.

    Nothing beats the OG, which is probably one of my favorite songs ever, but this is worth a listen


    https://cracknationrecords.bandcamp....20-compilation


    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  18. #1248
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,954
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMEO172 View Post
    Cure was my major band since something like 1994. I was young, ill at ease.

    My first Cure show (and second one after a Gun's live in 1993) was in 1996.

    Then I saw them twice in 1998

    For the dream Tour, I did :

    - the four promo gigs : Hamburg / Brussel / London / Paris. A fabulous trip !

    after this I don't count how many gigs for the europe Dream tour : 10 ? 15 ?
    A real lot of Europe 2002 tour too : 8 ? 9 ?
    all trilogy tour and Hamburg in the middle : 4
    and a few very small venues

    ...

    at the end something like 45 gigs in more or less than 10 years..
    I was a huge taper (nearly all show minus one or two) and a huge trader.

    And one day It was too much.. I do remember a live at Carhaix (2005 ?) with Plainsong so badly played. Porl was just back but he wasn't the same ! I cried just for this, after a 10 hours driving to the festival : badly played Plainsong : no !!

    I stop.. began to listen to NIN..

    I keep buying albums but Robert voice sounds like a owl too often.. And every new songs sounds like a mix of two old songs..
    Bestival cound be a good live album but no..

    I saw them again in 2016... not a magical moment.. I will never see them again.

    I still love a really lot of albums and bloodflowers is one of them. Each time I listen to "Out of this world" I remember the 10 or 15 times I have the Barber's Adagio live before. it was great.. and this bloody tour was so perfect with the Pornography or Faith encore ! The set were merely the same but the encores were perfect !

    Nowadays, Wish is in my top 5.. I really disliked the Wish Tour and this kind of "cure rock" but in fact it sounds really good. Porl was great... and "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea" is a kind of "Terrible lie" for Robert : always played at each shows since it was released.
    FTEOTDGS should’ve definitely been a single.

  19. #1249
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Listened to "The Last Day of Summer" the other day because I thought it'd be appropriate. hit me pretty good. didn't give the rest of Bloodflowers a spin but I feel myself resonating with that album more now that I'm in my mid 30's. went back and listened to Three Imaginary Boys and only enjoyed a few songs. they sound like a bunch of kids (because they were) . when I was young, that was my favorite album and I hated Bloodflowers. but age and life have changed that, pretty crazy.

    with that said, the weather is starting to get cooler, and I put on Seventeen Seconds today. haven't listened to this one in years. what a leap in sound between albums. I'll probably continue on with each album, I tend to do that when I listen to the Cure (which isn't often these days) . Faith and Pornography were my 2nd and 3rd favorite albums when I was younger, now they don't resonate with me much but there's still some good songs on both. the Faith album made me pick up bass when I was a teen. the "electronic" period of 83 and The Top are both underrated imo.

  20. #1250
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,026
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    the "electronic" period of 83 and The Top are both underrated imo.
    Notice how they basically tried to replicate the instrumental of Blue Monday with The Walk.

  21. #1251
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    2,134
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Iíve always agreed that it sounds similar but I read somewhere debunking the idea that itís a rip off - probably on this very thread. The songs came out very close to each other: blue Monday March, the walk July 1983. Itís not impossible that they wrote it in the four months, or adapted it to be similar musically in that period, but itís a little unlikely. They also used completely different equipment.

  22. #1252
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,842
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Notice how they basically tried to replicate the instrumental of Blue Monday with The Walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I’ve always agreed that it sounds similar but I read somewhere debunking the idea that it’s a rip off - probably on this very thread. The songs came out very close to each other: blue Monday March, the walk July 1983. It’s not impossible that they wrote it in the four months, or adapted it to be similar musically in that period, but it’s a little unlikely. They also used completely different equipment.
    i remember reading a thing that the two bands were constantly taking jabs at each other, and that the walk was a direct response to "blue monday" but i can't remember which other specific songs were referenced

  23. #1253
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    1,046
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think the story was 'The Walk' was recorded before 'Blue Monday' but released a couple months after 'Blue Monday'......Robert claimed he was influenced by Japan and thats what he was going for with 'The Walk'.....

  24. #1254
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,954
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    All The Way from Technique sounds like Just Like Heaven too.

  25. #1255
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,026
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I think the story was 'The Walk' was recorded before 'Blue Monday' but released a couple months after 'Blue Monday'......Robert claimed he was influenced by Japan and thats what he was going for with 'The Walk'.....
    Yeah, that's allegedly why that mini Album is called Japanese Whispers. You can make out the synths he used in most of its songs. Still, to me The Walk doesn't really sound like anything from Tin Drum (what a great album that is btw). It's got the same bpm as Blue Monday and the bass synthesizers sound very similar in the way they are played. I wouldn't call it a rip off though... it has enough instrumentation and melody that are quite different and very Cure-ish.

  26. #1256
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    1,046
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I know Robert is a big fan of New Order and Joy Division. He has always been friendly with Bernard. Their only issues with New Order was because Peter Hook always talked shit and ran his mouth off about The Cure

  27. #1257
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yesterday, Lol did a Twitter listening party on Tim Burgess's Twitter. The album was 17 Seconds. Pretty cool info. In 2 weeks, he'll be back for the Pornography album.

  28. #1258
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    1,046
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Apparently Peter Hook talked shit about The Cure in his book, claiming how they were sell outs or some shit.....He also used to throw digs at Simon claiming how Simon is copying his stage moves

    “I don’t think the Cure liked us. I think they resented us in some way, because we’d managed to stay cool, credible, and independent and they’d, well, sort of sold out a bit. The problem was on their side; it wasn’t on our side. But I think they thought, Wish we were Joy Division.”


  29. #1259
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,954
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Apparently Peter Hook talked shit about The Cure in his book, claiming how they were sell outs or some shit.....He also used to throw digs at Simon claiming how Simon is copying his stage moves

    “I don’t think the Cure liked us. I think they resented us in some way, because we’d managed to stay cool, credible, and independent and they’d, well, sort of sold out a bit. The problem was on their side; it wasn’t on our side. But I think they thought, Wish we were Joy Division.”
    Jesus Peter Hook is insufferable. How did The Cure sell out and why would they wish they were Joy Division? Robert covered LWTUA, yeah, out of respect.

    And he left JD/NO just to cover them on his own? He's so weird.

  30. #1260
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    1,046
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Miley Cyrus destroying 'Boy's Don't Cry'....This is horrifying. Miley needs to lay off the cigs. It kinda sounds like she is doing a Morrissey impression or some shit. They better keep her far far far away from NIN during the HOF. If they let her cover NIN, this is what you are going to get. A total destruction of a great song




Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions