Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 1694

Thread: The Cure

  1. #1651
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,979
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Wait, are you saying you don't like that song? I think it's pretty good.
    The lyrics kinda remind me of a recycled version of Us Or Them. Much prefer It Can Never Be The Same over it.

  2. #1652
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    534
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    The lyrics kinda remind me of a recycled version of Us Or Them. Much prefer It Can Never Be The Same over it.
    Yeah, It Can Never Be The Same sounds like classic Cure to me for sure. But I think step into the light is a decent tune in it's own right. Similar thematically to Us or Them maybe but where Us or Them is angry, Step Into The Light is more just a genuine plea for people to wake up. Not the best Cure tune ever written, but it's also one of only two in the past 15 years haha.

    Got to hear both of them back in 2016 live and since I usually don't get to many concerts, I was very happy with that. Now if only they would put out the studio versions...

  3. #1653
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,979
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    lol

    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/robert-...new-order/?amp

    Robert Smith on why The Cure couldn’t get along with New Order

    Speaking to Radio Urbana in 2013, Smith addressed their differences with New Order, explaining that the issue was centralised around their bassist, Peter Hook.

    Addressing the petty feud with Hook, Smith told Radio Urbana: “Although the Cure and New Order…we come from the same age and everything, but Peter Hook always had a real big problem with us because our bassist Simon Gallup was so much better looking and the better bass player…I think Peter was so jealous he could never get over it, and he stopped the rest of them from being friendly…”
    In 2007, Hook announced that he and frontman Bernard Sumner were disbanding New Order to work on separate endeavours. However, Sumner and the rest of the group decided to continue, leading to an uncomfortable few years of squabbling over music rights.
    Continuing in his conversation with Radio Urbana, Smith described a healthier relationship with New Order since Hook left the band. “We’ve bumped into them over the years, and since [Hook] he’s left, we’ve played with New Order a few times in the last summer, and it’s so nice to be able to chat with them, you know, to talk with them because I’ve always loved New Order I think they’re one of the best bands – they also have a fantastic back catalogue, and they like us, it’s so nice to say to Bernard [Sumner] ‘I like your band’, and he says ‘I like yours as well’ and… it’s taken an awful long time to say hello again to them. They’re a good example of a band that gets better as they get older. They were fantastic when we played with them last year, and we’re playing again with them this year at a couple of festivals.”

  4. #1654
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,979
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)




  5. #1655
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,514
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    videos not available in the US. what were they?

  6. #1656
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,979
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    videos not available in the US. what were they?
    Visualiser for Cut (1990 Demo) lyric video and Miss Van Gogh (Instrumental Demo) from the reissue.

  7. #1657
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,514
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Nice...how do they sound? looking forward to this box set

  8. #1658
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,180
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    These basic audio versions are showing up for me in the U.S.:



  9. #1659
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,922
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    So, D-day is coming. Will the Cure tour feature any new material or will it be the "Wish 30" tour & ride the nostalgia train? Again. Sad to say I think it's going to be Wish 30. If that's the case I'm not going to shell out big bucks for tickets when they tour NA. I've decided to hop off the nostalgia train. I think the qualifier would be if the artist has put out any good new material in say the last 10 years or not. The 2 songs the Cure played in 2016 don't count as they haven't been released outside a concert video. I just hit the wall about listening to the same old crap over & over. & paying huge money in some cases to do it. Now, get off my lawn!

  10. #1660
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,514
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Fair enough. I've only seen the Cure in concert once, and it was light on Wish material, so I'd see them on a NA tour if thy're playing that material. Or any material really. I've recently told myself there's only a handful of bands I'd actually go see in a concert these days, and The Cure are one of them...especially because, who knows how much longer they'll tour. Heck, the one time I saw them back in 2016 may be the ONLY time I'll get t see them...

  11. #1661
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,979
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Nice...how do they sound? looking forward to this box set
    Cut is so different and those added lyrics at the end are so special.

  12. #1662
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,979
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Set list predictions (apart from new songs?)

    Probably Wish-heavy due to the reissue. Would love to see some unplayed Wish-era b-sides done live. Or bring back Cut!

  13. #1663
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    From the Edge for sure

  14. #1664
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,922
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMEO172 View Post
    From the Edge for sure
    Reeves Gabrels tears that one up live.

  15. #1665
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Reeves Gabrels tears that one up live.
    After its release, this song was nearly ALWAYS played at each concert, at least between 1992 and 2004 when I was a huge Cure fan.
    The worst version was an acoustic version played by Perry at Paris (2002 ?).. He tried the solo but it sounded horrible in acoustic.

    I only saw one show with Reeves and can't remember how he played it. To be honest, the best versions are with master Porl/Pearl for sure

  16. #1666
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,979
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMEO172 View Post
    After its release, this song was nearly ALWAYS played at each concert, at least between 1992 and 2004 when I was a huge Cure fan.
    The worst version was an acoustic version played by Perry at Paris (2002 ?).. He tried the solo but it sounded horrible in acoustic.

    I only saw one show with Reeves and can't remember how he played it. To be honest, the best versions are with master Porl/Pearl for sure
    When I saw it in 2007 there was a problem with the display and Robert said "where's my picture of the sunrise?!"

  17. #1667
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,979
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCure/com...tour_probably/

    New Tour is called the Lost World tour (probably after the album) new logo on Drumkit

  18. #1668
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    534
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCure/com...tour_probably/

    New Tour is called the Lost World tour (probably after the album) new logo on Drumkit

  19. #1669
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,979
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    ^ haha, yes!

    Wait, remember before 4:13 Dream came out they played the entire thing live in Rome before we heard the studio versions of the songs, apart from the singles?

    Imagine they do the same thing here on the first tour date then release the album digitally the next day?

    Also: interesting to note how both The Cure and Depeche Mode threads have almost the same view count, give or take.

  20. #1670
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    534
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    ^ haha, yes!

    Wait, remember before 4:13 Dream came out they played the entire thing live in Rome before we heard the studio versions of the songs, apart from the singles?

    Imagine they do the same thing here on the first tour date then release the album digitally the next day?

    Also: interesting to note how both The Cure and Depeche Mode threads have almost the same view count, give or take.
    That would be amazing! I would be ecstatic if they actually drop this thing on us after all.

    I don't even see view count in my browser, or I'm too dumb to find it. But I'm not surprised. Both great bands for sure. I don't post over in the Mode thread much because I know less about them I think but I have become a pretty big fan of their stuff. Especially the greatness that is Black Celebration-Violator.

    Edit: aaand now I see the view count, I'm an idiot. Wow the views to posts ratios are crazy. And here I thought nobody really bothered with reading the non NIN portions of this board.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 10-05-2022 at 08:26 PM.

  21. #1671
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,922
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    That would be amazing! I would be ecstatic if they actually drop this thing on us after all.

    I don't even see view count in my browser, or I'm too dumb to find it. But I'm not surprised. Both great bands for sure. I don't post over in the Mode thread much because I know less about them I think but I have become a pretty big fan of their stuff. Especially the greatness that is Black Celebration-Violator.

    Edit: aaand now I see the view count, I'm an idiot. Wow the views to posts ratios are crazy. And here I thought nobody really bothered with reading the non NIN portions of this board.
    Robert has been reluctant to embrace the way the modern music business works. That's not saying it's great but it is what it is. He could probably use a good. young manager. For instance, look at Nick Cave who is a peer. He's released records online at the spur of the moment with the physical component later. It seems to work well for him. I'm still expecting this tour to be Wish 30 with no new material. I hope I'm proven wrong.

  22. #1672
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,514
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Been on a Cure kick lately. Though I've owned it since release, I just listened to the Head on the Door bonus disc from the remaster the other day. I enjoyed the album even more than previously. Listened to Faith too again (with the bonus disc, which I've always loved) and trying not to get into the "dark" mindset..Faith and Pornography remind me of some very dark times in my life and I realize listening to that can bring me back into that mind space. So, I think I'll go with "happy" Cure today and listen to Kiss Me x3 on the way to work today

    Excited to see some footage from the tour. I have a feeling they will be playing some new songs, some songs from Wish, and some of the hits of course.

  23. #1673
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,922
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Been on a Cure kick lately. Though I've owned it since release, I just listened to the Head on the Door bonus disc from the remaster the other day. I enjoyed the album even more than previously. Listened to Faith too again (with the bonus disc, which I've always loved) and trying not to get into the "dark" mindset..Faith and Pornography remind me of some very dark times in my life and I realize listening to that can bring me back into that mind space. So, I think I'll go with "happy" Cure today and listen to Kiss Me x3 on the way to work today

    Excited to see some footage from the tour. I have a feeling they will be playing some new songs, some songs from Wish, and some of the hits of course.
    I saw a fantastic show early in the 2016 tour just outside of Portland. They hadn't played Portland in at least 10 years & the fans were riled up. Evidently the band was, too as they played almost 3 hours. I'm not expecting the sets to be that long but a nice 2-2.5 hour show would be fantastic if they include some of the alleged new record. Really hope they don't hop on the festival/nostalgia train again like the last tour. Most of all, I want to see Reeves Gabrels tear it up live. Love me some noisy guitar players & Reeves is either near or on top of that list. Saw him play some fantastic shows with Bowie & he was great the 2 Cure shows I saw in 2016. At the Vegas show (my first Cure show after trying for over 20 years, long & ugly story) I almost had a heart attack when they started with the first 3 songs off Disintegration.

  24. #1674
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    8,509
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)



  25. #1675
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,922
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post


    There's a new logo on the drum kit but it looks really familiar.



    PS: I'm not quite awake yet, haha.
    Last edited by chuckrh; Yesterday at 09:00 AM.

  26. #1676
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    8,509
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    New merch, including posters which may indeed be our first look at the album art (the shirts are the same image)... my guess is they simply changed SONGS to SHOWS.








  27. #1677
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    8,509
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Apparently they're a 6-piece again, at least for tour. Perry Bamonte is playing keys and guitar. Also, a long 'at least 10 minutes' new track was heard during soundcheck. "spacey, walls of keyboards, vocals came in after about 6 minutes".

  28. #1678
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    8,509
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Live stream!



    Ended... buuut here's most of the new song!

    Last edited by october_midnight; Yesterday at 02:18 PM.

  29. #1679
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,979
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Opened with new song This Is The End and also played new song It’s All Gone.

  30. #1680
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Opened with new song This Is The End and also played new song It’s All Gone.
    Robert sure does come up with creative song titles!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions