Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cure

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I was listening to the "pictures of you" extended remix and pondering on the mixing/mastering of Disintegration. I'm no expert but I feel the original album was a bit 'indistinct' and the single mixes of PoY and FS in particular are much better. I don't think the deluxe edition remaster did much to cure it. It's a bit of a shame they didn't collect together the single mixes on that reissue.

Does anyone agree?

Can anyone with an ounce more musical nouse than myself comment on the mixing/mastering of Disintegration? Is there any scope for improvement (without access to the masters)?

(Let's not even get into Entreat.)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.nme.com/news/the-cure/62660

The Cure's Robert Smith has said the band feel as if they are coming "full circle" by headlining this year's Reading and Leeds Festival, despite having no new album to promote.

The band, who released their last album '4:13 Dream' in 2008, do not currently have a record contract, and Smith says they have no plans to record any new material. However, he said he'd be keen to re-release '4:13 Dream' as a double album after being dissuaded by the "fucking idiots who were around me" at the time of its original release.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with NME which you can read in this week's issue, Smith drew parallels with the last time the band played at the festival in 1979, which in those days was a one-legged event held only at the Reading site. He explained: "It's almost like we’ve gone full circle and we’re back to the point where we’re playing Reading Festival and I'm doing it solely because I want it to be a good day."

Smith continued:

I can't see our career arc any more. I've got absolutely no idea. We haven't signed to anyone since the last album came out and the contract was up. I'm not even signed as a writer. To be really honest, if we're gonna do something it has to be really good.
    To read the full interview with Smith, where he discusses the possibility of playing guest spots with other bands at Reading and Leeds and recalls their 1979 appearance at the festival, pick up the latest issue of NME, which is on UK newsstands and available digitally now.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://craigjparker.blogspot.com.au/...n-new-nme.html

Preview of the article here. (Thanks ADM, Barry, John)
    Buy a digital copy here. £1.75 and available now.
    Excerpts at NME - "The band, who released their last album '4:13 Dream' in 2008, do not currently have a record contract, and Smith says they have no plans to record any new material. "

I've transcribed all of Robert's answers from the article:

- Robert confirms that there will be a 'Wish' deluxe CD release this year

- Robert confirms that the band are without a record contract at this time, and that he isn't even signed as a writer.
    "We've been going for so long that I don't feel that urge to 'capitalise' on everything all the time. I mean we're headlining pretty much every major European festival and we won't have anything released. Anyone else would be tearing their hair out. They'll be like, 'You're idiots!' and perhaps we are. It's almost like we've gone full circle and we're back to the point where we're playing Reading Festival and I'm doing it solely because I want it to be a good day. Leeds too of course. I can't see our career arc anymore. I've got absolutely no idea. We haven't signed to anyone since the last record came out and the contract was up. I'm not even signed as a writer. To be really honest, if we're going to do something it has to really good. That sort of goes without saying, but our quality control is very high, and if I don't think that what we're doing is good enough then there's no point in putting it out. Why should I?"

- Robert regrets not making 4:13 the double album he intended, but was "worn down by the fucking idiots around me at the time".
    "I shouldn't have. I should have stuck to my guns, released a double, it would have sold the same, and it would not make any difference to anyone except it would have been a better piece of art. Whenever I go back to them I'm missing something. And what I'm missing is some of the songs from '4:13 Dream', because 4 of the songs on that album were supposed to be on this album, and 4 of the ones on this unreleased one are supposed to be on that."

- He has 12 tracks, including instrumentals, that he wants to release, but only as part of a double 4:13 album.
    "I'd love to resequence it and bring it out as a double album, and remix '4:13 Dream' and charge a single CD price so that no-one's being ripped off, and then you can hear it as it was supposed to be."
    "And on top of all that, The group who made it doesn't exist anymore."

- He's excited by the new songs the current stripped-back band are playing.

- This is the NME writer, Hamish MacBain, speaking, not Robert: "So without a label, or any suitable outlet for songs recorded that they feel they cannot move on from without releasing, The Cure in recorded guise are, to an extent, in limbo. Thus Robert's recent output has been restricted to select guest spots."

- He has 2 more collaborations with "dance acts" that should be out at the end of May, but doesn't name them because "it's their thing and I don't want to spoil it."

- He is open to doing 'Not In Love' with Crystal Castles at Reading/Leeds. Didn't want it to be a distraction for himself at Bestival.
    "I watched them do that song at Bestival from the side of the stage, and there were many raised eyebrows and back-and-forth meaningful looks. But I resisted the temptation to burst onstage and do a guest spot. I suppose I was very aware that it was our first big festival for a while and I wanted to feel right and ready for it. I'd only turned up an hour before, and I thought, 'If I go on now and make a mess of it, it's going to upset me for the rest of the day.' But I'll be a bit more in the swing of things by then, so I might do. There's a few people, actually, that it would be interesting to do something with. Maybe between now and then I might arrange a few things."

- Robert on doing so many guest spots lately: "I did stop and think to myself recently, 'I've gotta stop doing this', because otherwise that's what I'll be doing for the rest of my career: just doing guest spots on other people's stuff"

- Robert on trying to enjoy other bands at the festivals: "Sometimes it's a bit difficult, because you find people in front are watching you as you're trying to watch the stage."

- Sounds like we can expect a Bestival type set this Summer.
    "We concentrated a lot on the more well-known songs and we went down well. There have been times when I've just played whatever I wanted to play and I have had absolutely no regard for the audience, whereas now I kind of consider that I'm part of an event. I'm aware that we're playing probably to a lot of people who would otherwise not come and see The Cure. We're part of the weekend. So it's kind of dumb really not to try and play tracks that are your most accessible songs."

- Robert on the criticism he took over his "No free music" post: "I was vilified by a lot of the mainstream media - particularly online where there's a vested interest - who tried to turn it into like, ' Oh, I don't wanna give stuff away for free because I wanna make money out of it,' which is totally at odds with what we do because we often release stuff that's entirely for charity. We have no interest in making money out of everything we do, we never have. My point is it devalues the art and I hold by it. To me it's worth something. I'm happy to pay for PJ Harvey's new album. And I think anyone should be because it brings me hours of entertainment and pleasure, so why should it be the one area of life where it's free? It doesn't make any sense to me."

- Robert on the sort of new guard/old guard mentality that might exist now like it did with The Cure and Robert Palmer in 1981: "The point is: we don't occupy the same position at all. Although we're now considered an 'older band', I don't think there are many younger bands who don't have some kind of respect or admiration for what we've done, and what we still do. I think that's the difference. We're not seen as having followed some well-laid path to success. In fact, in a lot of instances, we've actually pushed things forward, and allowed bands to come up behind us. We've changed the landscape a little bit in some ways. That old guard we were up against in the late-70s, they were seen as an industry. And that industry is still there, but the fact is that it's represented just as much by younger artists. There are a number of younger acts I could name who are equally as offensive as we found Robert Palmer at the time. Who just represent 'music as business'. And that goes back to why we're doing this. I want to be part of the experience when we play, not just some performer selling my wares to people."

- Robert on fighting his "Own personal battle, trying to keep what we do as something that's pure", with regard to branding and sponsorship: "I am aware of how grotesquely out of touch I am, but I'm willfully out of touch with the modern world. It's very difficult for me to convince a younger generation that it's wrong to sell things, to use music for adverts. I realise I'm in a fading minority of people who find it objectionable. And that's just because I can remember songs that I loved being used to sell shit and I think it devalues it. It's horrible. I don't wanna think of a car when I listen to Jimi Hendrix or Nick Drake. I hate branding, I hate labels, it's all just shit - it's everything we rallied against when we were younger. And it hasn't made any difference. The corporate beast has won...but only for the moment. There are cracks appearing. There must be a generation raring to go that stick two fingers up at it all and says we don't want to be branded, and sold to in this way. It has to happen sooner rather than later."

- Robert on their first appearance at Reading Festival: "We were perceived as the enemy by the mainstream rock festival crowd. We were part of this vanguard of upstarts that were trying to upset the status quo, and there was just an element of the crowd which was really anti any band that went on that was part of the so-called new punk or new wave. Which was fine. I realised that we were seen as a part of a movement that was trying to replace some of the old guard and I was quite happy about that, because I thought a lot of them were fucking awful! Generally, rock was not really our kind of thing. So that was the first and last time we really did a 'rock' festival, because we didn't have a very enjoyable time actually on the stage. In fact, the worst part of the day was our 35 minutes on the stage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here are the scans of the article:

http://www.cureconnections.com/the-c...tml#post389294

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Awesome Robert!

http://www.cureconnections.com/the-c...tml#post404691

MY SLEEVE WAS PUT UP ON EBAY THE DAY IT WAS BOUGHT...

AS THIS WHOLE SECRET 7 EVENT WAS DESIGNED TO RAISE MONEY AND AWARENESS FOR THE TEENAGE CANCER TRUST I FIND THIS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISHEARTENING...

IF THE FORCED BELATED PROTESTATIONS ARE TO BE BELIEVED
    "As far as this item is concerned, however, since people have been asking we are making an exception to our rule of not discussing these matters. Proceeds from the sale of this item will be donated to charity."
    THEN WOULD IT NOT BE BETTER TO SIMPLY TAKE THE ITEM DOWN AND GIVE IT TO THE TEENAGE CANCER TRUST TO AUCTION?

...BAH!

ANYWAY
    MY ADVICE?
    DONT BOTHER BIDDING ON THIS ITEM
    AS IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS ON EBAY YOU WILL UNDOUBTEDLY FIND...

SEVEN MORE RS 'FRIDAY I'M IN LOVE' SECRET 7 SLEEVES/VINYL
    ALL SIGNED
    ALL WITH DIFFERENT HANDWRITTEN LINES FROM THE SONG
    AND ALL AUCTIONED WITH EVERY PENNY GOING TO THE TEENAGE CANCER TRUST

FULL DETAILS HERE TOMORROW

ONWARDS...
    RSX

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    So Porl is now going by the name Pearl...

http://craigjparker.blogspot.com.au/...from-porl.html

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'll miss him, I think he was a strong player. In particular with the boys-don't-cry encore material from recent gigs (well, 2009 era at least), I was muchly impressed.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    agreed...though if i had to pick, i'd prefer having a synth player in general...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Well this was unexpected...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Mint Car and Trust

Last edited by Ryan; 06-01-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    The Cure plays Primavera Sound tonight

Setlist: Plainsong, Pictures of You, High, The End of the World, Lovesong, Push, Inbetween Days, Just Lie Heaven, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, The Hungry Ghost, Play For Today, A Forest (Happy Birthday Simon), Bananafishbones, Lullaby, The Walk, Mint Car, Friday I'm in Love, Doing The Unstuck,Trust, Want,Wrong Number, One Hundred Years, Disintegration

1st Encore: The Kiss, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep,Fight

2nd Encore: Dressing Up, Lovecats,The Blood,The Caterpillar, Close To Me, Just One Kiss, Let's Go To Bed, Sleep When I'm Dead, Why Can't I Be You?

3rd Encore: Boys Don't Cry.

My favorite Cure track, Just One Kiss, finally done live! The only live recording I have of it is from a Kid Jensen session and the lyrics are all changed and fucked up.

Last edited by Ryan; 06-01-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That's a fucking setlist. I'm also stoked that Reeves Gabrels is playing with the Cure just for these shows. I much prefer the Cure as a five-piece. The sound is much fuller and has more bite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    That's a fucking setlist. I'm also stoked that Reeves Gabrels is playing with the Cure just for these shows. I much prefer the Cure as a five-piece. The sound is much fuller and has more bite.
    I think Reeves may be on indefinitely, based on what's been said

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    nice piece of history here:
    http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...-hill-nj-1980/

early gig (1980, NJ, first american show) exhumed!
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 06-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hey great stuff. the 12" mix of "Just One Kiss" is an awesome piece of work. I was pleasantly surprised to discover how good it was when I relistened to some cure vinyl recently.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, that was a nice discovery in high school, surprised it has yet to be reissued on CD proper*. i still have my cherished copy of the walk 12'' that has it, but i also have since grabbed the let's go to bed extended 12'' mix with the same on the flip. so good.

*then again, i've heard reports of a mixed up vol. 2 coming someday so perhaps then?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Mixed up 2 would be nice. It could collect up the extended pictures of you (not dub) and no doubt others. Suspect killing an Arab will never make another outing though.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    they "leaked" a remastered mp3 of that one a while back, if i recall. thank god they played it properly at the reflections show... who knew some pop song about a great existential book would cause such a ruckus. they've been answering for that since they started...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I demand a new album!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    So are they going to break that four-year-between-albums rule for the new one?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ugh to hear Plainsong with the synths again.....fuck me it sounds good.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hultsfred Festival (they played the song The Top!)

Setlist: (Tape), Open, High, End of the World, Lovesong, Push, Inbetween Days, Just Like Heaven, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea ("Sound broke down"), Three Imaginary Boys (brief version, "only played until sound came back"), The Hungry Ghost, Play For Today, A Forest, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Pictures of You, Lullaby, Bananafishbones, The Walk, Friday I'm in Love, Doing the Unstuck, Trust, Want, Wrong Number, One Hundred Years, End

1st encore: The Top
    2nd encore: Dressing Up, Lovecats, The Caterpillar, Close To Me, Just One Kiss, Boys Don't Cry (Robert - "one of the most enjoyable concerts").
    Robert - "We planned to play until the sun came up, but we must stop now or they'll call the police & turn off the power."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    These new setlists are ridiculously awesome. "Shake Dog Shake", "Cold", "The Walk", "...Deep Green Sea", "Dressing Up" - there's me sold, let alone all of the classics.

Excellent to see the band in great form!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i'm pretty psyched to see so much of the top showing up in setlists... i've only seen 'shake dog shake' live as they still pepper that one in here and there, but bananafishbones? the title track? can't wait for this lineup to come back stateside.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    A lot of fans are suspecting they're playing all these because they plan to do another "Trilogy" - except this time most probably Japanese Whispers / The Top / The Head on the Door and Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me. They're practicing them all now before they announce it later in the year.

Not official, but it makes sense to me.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)