Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cure

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    That does have a really nice new mix of Prayers for Rain, but yeah the 3 mixes in question aren't there. I don't think Mark Saunders originally had anything to do with them.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    That does have a really nice new mix of Prayers for Rain, but yeah the 3 mixes in question aren't there. I don't think Mark Saunders originally had anything to do with them.
    sorry. wee hours of the morning here in seattle.trying to be helpful on my way to the mines....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Prayers For Rain remix is killer I wish I could download it for the car.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm liking it, too. "Torn Down" sounds better on subsequent listens for sure. Didn't care for Deep Green Sea remix at first. Really like it now. The Cure were my bucket list band. Saw them twice in 2016, Vegas & Portland. Totally different shows, both most excellent! I have a feeling that "Mixed Up" is the car cd of the summer, whilst "Bad Witch" is more of cd for the house.
    That is great I saw the Cure at the Hollywood Bowl in 2016 I wish I had gone every night I hope they come back to the US soon. We do several covers of The Cure songs with my band we usually throw in one Cure song and Bowie song in at the end of the set. We have done Lovesong the Extended mix version as the third song in the set if we feel the audience is nodding off because they are unfamiliar with our original music. I am going to suggest to the band we learn Pictures Of You the Extended Version to throw in as one of the covers, I'm the singer/guitarist/keyboardist and songwriter for the band, so I have been singing Pictures Of You in the car all weekend trying to find how I can put my own spin on the vocals.
    I am digging driving around and singing all the Mixed Up songs sort of my own Carpool Karaoke.

I guess now the big wait continues on the remaster of Wish apparently Robert Smith has finished it, I guess its just a matter of getting a release date. It would be awesome if it were this fall my favorite time of the year with one of my favorite bands.
    Last edited by Demons & Ghosts; 06-26-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I would love it if the Wish remaster came out around the holiday. It's a great album and I want to listen to it with some crisp audio. And I'm curious about what extras will be included.

I actually have to go back and get all of The Cure's deluxe editions. Right now I only have The Top, Disintegration, and Mixed Up. I honestly can't get enough of Torn Down. That remix of Drowning Man is amazing. The song was already bleak and now it just sounds so hopeless and desolate.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demons & Ghosts View Post
    The Prayers For Rain remix is killer I wish I could download it for the car.
    just right clicked and downloaded them here with no issues - sadly they're 128kbps, but they're better than nothing.

i'm not sure why everyone is loving torn down so much. there are a handful of nice moments, but for the most part, these mixes suck the life out of the songs. in general, i MUCH prefer mixed up. it's not perfect, but those remixes of 'fascination street' and 'lullaby' are stellar, for starters...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    just right clicked and downloaded them here with no issues - sadly they're 128kbps, but they're better than nothing.

i'm not sure why everyone is loving torn down so much. there are a handful of nice moments, but for the most part, these mixes suck the life out of the songs. in general, i MUCH prefer mixed up. it's not perfect, but those remixes of 'fascination street' and 'lullaby' are stellar, for starters...
    I'm using a MacBook, maybe give Torn Down a few more listens, I read the liner notes about Torn Down where Robert Smith says he never could change the beat of the song without losing its integrity when he remixes something he usually just adds in instrumentation that was never used in the original mix. I get what he is saying I can't remix my own music, bringing in another beat tends to throw the whole thing off for me.

I agree with you about Fascination Street and Lullaby.

I just got it to download thank you.
    Last edited by Demons & Ghosts; 06-26-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demons & Ghosts View Post
    I'm using a MacBook
    same! if you right click the track name(s), you can "save link as" and grab them. i'm on chrome.

i got the vinyl for record store day and ripped/shared it immediately. there are a few that are nice, i remember liking 'm,' 'just one kiss,' and 'shake dog shake,' but some of the others not so much. i think the canned laptop beats are a huge disservice to much of the material, and the biggest issues are 'the drowning man' and 'want' remixes, where the vocals don't sound in sync at all. a shame, as 'the drowning man' has potential, but is kind of unlistenable.

it's the same for me with mixed up, though. the mixes i like best are the ones that retain the original magic of the song (the two we've discussed, that just deepen/darken/extend the main themes) but don't care much for those that completely reinvent the track in a dated fashion. i used to like the 'in between days' mix when i was younger (mixed up was one of my first cure cds), but now it just grates. i feel the same way about torn down, even the mixes i can listen to kind of suck the magic out of the original, sparse-by-design tracks.

(i like all of saunders' remixes though, including the tree mix of 'a forest.' LOVING the new 'prayers for rain' remix, too. saunders is the man for the job and i wish he handled the remixes on torn down. would have preferred if he and/or the bands that originally signed on tackled them instead of smith)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    same! if you right click the track name(s), you can "save link as" and grab them. i'm on chrome.

i got the vinyl for record store day and ripped/shared it immediately. there are a few that are nice, i remember liking 'm,' 'just one kiss,' and 'shake dog shake,' but some of the others not so much. i think the canned laptop beats are a huge disservice to much of the material, and the biggest issues are 'the drowning man' and 'want' remixes, where the vocals don't sound in sync at all. a shame, as 'the drowning man' has potential, but is kind of unlistenable.

it's the same for me with mixed up, though. the mixes i like best are the ones that retain the original magic of the song (the two we've discussed, that just deepen/darken/extend the main themes) but don't care much for those that completely reinvent the track in a dated fashion. i used to like the 'in between days' mix when i was younger (mixed up was one of my first cure cds), but now it just grates. i feel the same way about torn down, even the mixes i can listen to kind of suck the magic out of the original, sparse-by-design tracks.

(i like all of saunders' remixes though, including the tree mix of 'a forest.' LOVING the new 'prayers for rain' remix, too. saunders is the man for the job and i wish he handled the remixes on torn down. would have preferred if he and/or the bands that originally signed on tackled them instead of smith)
    I got everything to download, I agree with what you are saying but this is also music that is from for the most part the 80's and in some ways you almost have to use dated drum sounds to accommodate the integrity of the song, I suppose you could use updated drums but it could change the character of the song. I really love the new Prayers For Rain as well.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Smith has spoken about how he found it "more creative" (or words to that effect) to leave the songs in the same length, tempo and mostly the same structure as the originals. But to be honest, I think that's because he's not a professional remixer, and that's the key skill of professional remixers: teasing out a song into a different shape, expanding different bits, highlighting some bits, rearranging things... honestly I think the creativity-limiting decision was more about what he was comfortable actually doing. And the decision to do all the remixes himself, either self-indulgence or ego? it certainly seems like he commissioned Saunders but dropped the mix. Hopefully he got paid :> But I think it's a missed opportunity.

No matter, I picked up the CD mostly for CD2. And to be fair, I haven't listened to any of them long enough to form a firm, long-lasting opinion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    See that's why I like Torn Down. He messes with those mixes enough to tease out something new, but doesn't mess with it so much where the song sounds completely different. A lot of them are exaggerating a song's mood, kind of like what he does on Drowning Man. My problem with most of Mixed Up is how drawn out the mixes are. Lullaby and Fascination Street have some great moments, but there's a point where I'm thinking 'okay I get it. Can we move on to the next song?' I just get bored with the song after a while and want to move on. With Torn Down everything is concise and makes it easier for me to get through.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Hyde Park schedule

Primary Entry: 12:30
    Doors open for general admission: 13:30
    Last entry: 21:00
    Curfew: 22.30

Great Oak Stage
    The Cure 20:20 - 22:20
    Interpol 18:35 - 19:35
    Goldfrapp 17:25 - 18:05
    Editors 16:00 - 16:45
    Slowdive 14:50 - 15:30
    Pale Waves 13:50

Barclaycard Stage
    Ride 19:35 - 20:20
    Lisa Hannigan 18:05
    Twilight Sad 16:45
    This Will Destroy You 15:30
    Allthingsmata 14:20

Summer Stage
    Kaelyn Mikla 16:45 - 17:25
    Kathryn Joseph 16:00 - 16:45
    PG Lost 15:30
    Gallops 14:20

------

I'm sure they'll fight past the curfew as much as possible, but they should get at least 2 hours at the show next weekend.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Great Oak Stage
    The Cure 20:20 - 22:20
    Interpol 18:35 - 19:35
    Goldfrapp 17:25 - 18:05
    Editors 16:00 - 16:45
    Slowdive 14:50 - 15:30
    Pale Waves 13:50

Other than missing Ride, I would literally just park here for the entire day. Seeing Pale Waves for the second time in December, they're great. And then it just rolls along all day, fuck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm sure they'll fight past the curfew as much as possible, but they should get at least 2 hours at the show next weekend.
    If they break curfew, the power will just get turned off. That's what happened when Bruce Springsteen tried to do it (and he had Paul McCartney on stage too!).
    It SUPER tight at that venue.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    well that was fun!

We sadly missed slowdive because we got snagged up in Pride but, we got to see Pride and that was pretty awesome

Goldfrapp were excellent

Two more cure songs off my bucket list finally: “if only tonight we could sleep” and “killing an arab” (seen that once before but after it mysteriously dropped from the set list at Manchester I was really keen to hear it again)

“Disintegration” and “fascination street” were nice surprises, as well as “jumping someone else’s train” transitioning straight into “grinding halt”

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    well that was fun!

We sadly missed slowdive because we got snagged up in Pride but, we got to see Pride and that was pretty awesome

Goldfrapp were excellent

Two more cure songs off my bucket list finally: “if only tonight we could sleep” and “killing an arab” (seen that once before but after it mysteriously dropped from the set list at Manchester I was really keen to hear it again)

“Disintegration” and “fascination street” were nice surprises, as well as “jumping someone else’s train” transitioning straight into “grinding halt”
    Are they doing Killing An Arab properly again or are they still calling it Killing Another like they did on that live album from 2011?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    It’s back to its proper title, however I’ve seen it as “another” before and it wasn’t at all diminished imho

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tape of the show is up on Dime already

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    here's a video of it. pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've been reading about the show and it looks wonderful. I really hope The Cure go on another massive tour next year. I've been wanting to go back to those 2016 concerts ever since I went! I don't know what it is about them that makes their shows amazing. It's not like there's hard core dancing (aside from Robert's wiggles) or an intense light show. I guess it's because they're great at fan service. They do long ass sets and they change it up every night. Most bands who tour now stick to the same safe setlist and it's not as exciting. My girlfriend went to both 2016 Chicago shows with me and she was amazed on how they felt like two different shows. That's the magic of The Cure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I too am really hoping they tour extensively next year, I've never seen them and have been a fan since I was a kid. The last time I could have seen them they played Portland, OR on my birthday of all days, and I was in Maui (Boo hoo) . I will travel to see them, but I hope they continue to tour so I can see them at least once!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsectGod View Post
    I too am really hoping they tour extensively next year, I've never seen them and have been a fan since I was a kid. The last time I could have seen them they played Portland, OR on my birthday of all days, and I was in Maui (Boo hoo) . I will travel to see them, but I hope they continue to tour so I can see them at least once!
    the Portland (Ridgefield) show in 2016 was a stunner. i also saw them a week & a half earlier in vegas @ the cosmopolitan. 2 very different shows.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Odd setlist. Seemed more like a festival/greatest hits set which is what Robert hinted at....The set from a 2 weeks earlier was far superior with a lot of deep cuts
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 07-10-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    here's a video of it. pretty awesome.
    Sadly its' been copyright whack-a-mole'd by "KIETH" whoever that is. I was midway thru writing a blog post referencing a bunch of offsets into it

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Odd setlist. Seemed more like a festival/greatest hits set which is what Robert hinted at....The set from a 2 weeks earlier was far superior with a lot of deep cuts
    I'm on the fence about it. Sure it's a greatest-hits list, but the performance was GREAT, and there are still some surprises in there, and the obvious stuff (Inbetween Days, Just Like Heaven, etc.) went down extremely well with the audience. Sure I'd love to have seen "At Night", or "Like Cockatoos", or maybe one of the new songs, although I don't have any emotional resonance with those anyway. The CURAETION set isn't that deep to be honest. I saw 100 years and Want in Manchester; we got ANLT, PoU, High, Green Sea, Disintegration, If Only...,Shake Dog, A Forest, Boys.. in Hyde Park as well as CURAETION.

In fact if you only went to CURAETION you'd have missed Burn!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Burn is such an awesome song, especially live. I never cared for it until I saw it live...honestly, I listened to it maybe once. Saw it live and it's become one of my favorite Cure songs!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Burn is such an awesome song, especially live. I never cared for it until I saw it live...honestly, I listened to it maybe once. Saw it live and it's become one of my favorite Cure songs!
    Reeves Gabrels seriously goes off on that song live. Splendid!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh man I thought I was going to faint when I heard those pan pipes live! Not only did I ever think I would get to see The Cure, I never thought I would get to hear Burn!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Robert ignored The Top and also a song like 'Burn' for so long....I wonder if Reeves is the one who got him to embrace that material. I vaguely remember some interview a few years ago where he mentioned Reeves pushing him to play more Top stuff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Top is such a great album. Super weird, but really good if you give it a chance. When I saw them in 2016 they played The Top for the first time in over 30 years....what a special evening. It took me a minute to figure out what was happening and then I heard the spinning top noises and I thought I was going to burst. I try not to record too much at shows, but I had to get that to at least show my brother who couldn't make it. He's the whole reason why I love The Cure now.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    The Top is such a great album. Super weird, but really good if you give it a chance. When I saw them in 2016 they played The Top for the first time in over 30 years....what a special evening. It took me a minute to figure out what was happening and then I heard the spinning top noises and I thought I was going to burst. I try not to record too much at shows, but I had to get that to at least show my brother who couldn't make it. He's the whole reason why I love The Cure now.
    I honestly think Give Me It and The Top in Chicago a couple years ago were life changing.