Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil Series

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Just started the remake of 2 last night...amazing! I sucked at the original as a kid, I had a strategy guide to help me back in the day. I also loved 3 as a kid (even more than 2) , so I'm looking forward to getting that remake down the line too.
    I'm one of the biggest fans of the series but never successfully played anything prior to the Gamecube RE1 remake. Everything on N64 and PS1 plays like absolute garbage and they're hard due to the shitty controls and design flaws, not because they made zombies harder to kill or bullets scarce. Unpopular hot take I'm sure.

I loved both RE2 and RE3 remakes.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I didn't mind the controls or zombies. I just sucked at puzzles. I'm finding out that I still kinda suck at puzzles, just slightly better hah!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I'm one of the biggest fans of the series but never successfully played anything prior to the Gamecube RE1 remake. Everything on N64 and PS1 plays like absolute garbage and they're hard due to the shitty controls and design flaws, not because they made zombies harder to kill or bullets scarce. Unpopular hot take I'm sure.

I loved both RE2 and RE3 remakes.
    I think even if the controls were brushed up, the original games would still be harder. I started playing when the original RE came out and it's funny because I never told myself back then "Omg these controls suck, this is unplayable." I'm trying to figure out if this is due to us early gamers being used to the OG controls from the yesteryears and they felt normal, or they really were just shit all together.

For me, the zombies were easier to kill in the earlier titles since it was much simpler to detect if they were dead, it didn't take fucking 8 headshots to kill one zombie, plus, you could stomp on their heads if they grabbed hold of you (Infuriates me that the remakes don't have this mechanic) also much easier to dodge.

Honestly, back then, if you complained about controls you would be told the old fashioned way to "Git gud". I'll always love the originals more than these remakes we have been getting; the pre-rendered environments, the music, the feels are just different for me all together.

Thinking about playing an RE game on an N64 then and now makes my head hurt.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Resident Evil 8 looks amazing and I want Tall Lady to do whatever she feels like it to me. Downloading the demo tonight.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well it scared the shit out of me, so it will be good. Graphics are incredible on PS5.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    It scares me that village looks like it’s inspired by RE4. I mean like RE4 but it just worries me that the RE8 won’t go back to the original roots of being scary and not an adventure game . We can only hope. Played through the demo and it looks like a first person RE4 mixed in with some bloodbourne inspiration. I’m sure the game will turn out ok
    Last edited by Rdm; 01-23-2021 at 03:52 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    People on my socials are REAL thirsty for the Tall Lady...but then i'm following a lot of art accounts and they are all just horny on main for everything

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    People on my socials are REAL thirsty for the Tall Lady...but then i'm following a lot of art accounts and they are all just horny on main for everything
    Yeah she doesn't do it for me..must be the goth look.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    That big bitch has got to be a tyrant, right ?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I pre-ordered the deluxe edition. Can't wait!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    They done FUCKED IT UP. I care even less about Ethan, he acts like nothing happened a few years prior in 7, same healing animations, TERRIBLE writing... it's a mess. You can literally take the RE title off of this game and it could be anything else at this point. This is not RE to me at all; what a colossal disappointment.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    They done FUCKED IT UP. I care even less about Ethan, he acts like nothing happened a few years prior in 7, same healing animations, TERRIBLE writing... it's a mess. You can literally take the RE title off of this game and it could be anything else at this point. This is not RE to me at all; what a colossal disappointment.
    I prefer playing as the core characters from all the Classics but I must say I’m enjoying this game so far. I grew to like Ethan more in this. At least he had training and experience since 7 to explain how he’s more adept at combat. The Mold injection to his biology by Jack Baker also helps explain his resiliency for his major injuries. As for the writing, I’m not super far into it yet as I just got to the Castle. To slander this game's writing though would be a bit silly to me because the other RE games exist. They've always been inconsistent, goofy and melodramatic. I love Albert Wesker but his gravitas is on another level, especially in 5 (one my fave games ever). It’s been just fine so far for me.

Spoiler: Only thing I’m kinda iffy on is Ethan’s hands and the damage they take. His left was severed in 7 and reattached. Now in Village, he has lost two fingers on his left and has the palms ripped from the center to the top on both hands from hooks. Then got his right severed. Pretty battered at this point to where I don't know how they're usable aside the Mold healing.

The game feels like it’s RE4 but not really a remake of it. Makes me think they scratched their itch on whether or not to revisit the same setting and atmosphere. They did it but in a different way. Desolate village and citizens cursed, a religious fanatic, a royal family and castle, etc. lots of similar characters in Village remind me of 4 characters (Lady Dimitrescu = Salazar, Mother Miranda = Saddler, Urias, the Hammer Lycan = Executioner Majini from 5/Village Chief in 4, Duke = Merchant). A lot of the same tropes as well. This Lycan/Mother Miranda cult mirrors the Los Illuminados plagas worship cult and doctrine Saddler spewed from 4.

I vastly prefer third person in these games but first works just fine for these experiences. I wish Mercenaries was third person. That’s gonna be so bizarre playing in first. I assume you have to beat single player story before it unlocks.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 05-08-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm risking mutating this in to the MK movie thread, but I have always thought the plots in RE were ridiculous and outrageous and the dialogue a fine wine level of terrible. I only played the opening and so far it has all of those things that I showed up for.

By contrast Returnal is just cringe dialogue all the way through and I can't stand it.

I wish it was in third person.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I'm with you. This series is pretty much dead to me now. It has gone off the rails. Thankfully we have the remakes.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Played a few hours of it over at my neighbour's house as we have done the same with Biohazard, but good god, this game angers me so much. Is this really what players like these days? I can't get over how decadent this game is and how little I care about the human characters. The Duke and Lady Dimitrescu are somewhat cool, but I have no desire to finish this. And I really don't understand the flaming reviews this one gets... it's awful and bears zero resemblance to the RE that I know from my earliest PlayStation days.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The cringe dialogue was enjoyable though. I'm not saying the writing was grade A level, but at least our main protagonists HAD dialogue... This is Ethan out of a span of two games: "You son of a bitch." "You're a crazy bitch", "ARGGGGHHH" "GAHHHHHH" or insert literally ANY textbook generic Hollywood line here.

How can anyone take this game seriously when Chris was too busy building a fucking remote control death robot. I laughed way too much during that scene... Fuck this game.

While the previous installments had the cringe, there was more to be said and to read/listen along to besides grunts and screams with the occasional "Insert curse line here" dialogue. They were cheese, but damn memorable. Ethan is as interesting as a block of wood; they don't even give the player the courtesy of seeing his damn face. I don't wanna hear that "Ethan is all of us" nonsense like we got with fucking Cole Young from MK. I simply don't give a shit about what is happening.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 05-11-2021 at 05:05 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This game is so much fucking fun, I don't understand the hate for it here. It takes the best parts of Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 4 and combines them. I have had a blast in the first seven hours and just left the Beneviento house. Ethan healing is silly, but I can look past that in a game that has Zombies and Werewolves and is fictional.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Finished RE8 Village last night. Enjoyed it. Agree that it felt like 7 mixed with 4; that was good enough for me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    In a recent interview, Resident Evil Village producer Tsuyoshi Kanda said that some of the scarier elements of the game were toned down after fan feedback.

“Some of the feedback we received regarding [Resident Evil 7 was] that it was too scary to play,”
    Kanda began.

He added: “At the same time, it’s always our goal to create something that anybody can feel comfortable jumping in and playing, so we eased up on the tension curve [in Resident Evil Village] relative to Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, so that players aren’t in constant fear.”

Too scary to play?!?! Are you frigging kidding me?!?! Resident Evil launched the survival horror genre! It is supposed to be horror. And you don't want it to be tense and scary? People are seriously crying that it was too scary???

No wonder Village feels like a complete joke.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    This was nowhere as bad as something like RE6, you guys are high. RE6 is the real joke and RE7 and RE8 are bring things back up to snuff. It's not perfect and its not like RE1 or even 4 but hell, its bette rthan what we have been getting, outside of the remakes . To say 'THIS IS NOT MY RE" and to complain about why its getting good reviews is a sign that you are not welcome to change, at least, from what I can tell. It's fine if you don't like it, I can respect that opinion just fine, but saying shit like "I don't understand why this game is so good to some people" is so fucking childish and inmature that I wonder how some of you guys are like 10-15 years older than with that level of maturity and logic.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I don’t get the hate the game is a blast and super tense. I played 3 hours on Standard and thought it was too easy so I put it on nightmare and I think the game is MUCH BETTER, the AI is smarter and the game in general is more more tense. I don’t get what some people want from a a story line from a resident evil game. When has resident evil not been cheesy? It’s kind of a part of the charm
    Last edited by Rdm; 05-13-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I am definitely not a fan of puzzles in video games and I’m less of a fan of never having enough ammo/weapons to kill enemies so aside from RE 5, I am not into this series.

I did watch a play through of House Bienvento because everyone on my Twitter feed were talking about it and yep, there’s puzzles and lots of running away because you have no weapons. The monster looked cool, though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Man, House Beneviento Spoiler: was super creepy and disturbing! Also a lot to do with the room puzzles and that disgusting fetus baby mutant following you around. I defeated Donna Benviento and Angie. Time for Moreau.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I enjoyed every minute of this stupid fucking game

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Game of the year so far. Absolutely loved it. Already playing new game plus

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ that gameplay video is amazing, seems more faithful than RE2 was. I need to do RE8, just haven’t got around to it yet
    Last edited by WorzelG; 10-21-2022 at 09:40 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)