Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steam Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Won Dwarfs!? and E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy from crafting coal during the week. I own E.Y.E. already and what a great, wierd game it is. And Dwarfs!? looks alright but I'm looking to trade it for something more up my alley. Any takers?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I got The Void, Borderlands and Day of Defeat from achievements.

I still have some coupons if anyone's interested.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I received today Super Monday Night Combat and I would like to trade it since I already have it.

SMNC is a FPS DoTA-like game. You have a hero that you level, get abilities and spawn mobs. You need to destroy the other base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Skyrim is on sale for 33% off for the midweek madness deal.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The thing I love about Steam is they make old games playable on your PC - so I managed to get old favourites, Wolfenstein 3D, Dark Forces, and Heretic to play with sound as well. I really can't be bothered faffing around making old games work on new systems, so I love that they do it for you, a value added service.

One question I have though is, I have Far Cry which I love, but I can't get it to play properly graphically on Vista or Windows 7 - has anyone got this from Steam and, if so, does it play well without the glitches?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    re: Far Cry
    try this: press ~ in game and enter commands
    r_sm30path 0
    r_hdrrendering 0

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The thing I love about Steam is they make old games playable on your PC
    So's GOG.com, to be fair. Worth checking out.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i may have gotten the wrong impression but GOG totally seems to balance on the edge of piracy selling abandonware

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Most of the games at least have the backing of the publishers, (at leas I know EA has a deal with GoG for remastering and selling Bullfrog's old games). I like them, most of the games have been optimized to run on modern operating systems, but I do wonder where a good chunk of the sales go, as most of those companies don't exist anymore.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yeah, I used GOG to buy the Alone in the Dark series, because I could never get the sound effects to work on the third one, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the Far Cry advice BenAkenobi, I'll try that next time I get a chance to play it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The summer sale has begun. I will be doing my best to keep the first post updated with daily sales and what not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just bought Quake for $5.99. Does it not play the Trent Reznor soundtrack? No music is playing on it. I had the disk well over a decade ago but I decided to rebuy it today.

Also bought the Penumbra collection for $4.99.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by THE JOHNNY ROOK View Post
    Just bought Quake for $5.99. Does it not play the Trent Reznor soundtrack? No music is playing on it. I had the disk well over a decade ago but I decided to rebuy it today.
    Yeah, the steam version sadly doesn't have any soundtrack included but I remember there were many ways to get it working. Have a look at this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1756923
    Supposedly it will add the music to the steam version of the game as well as add some game fixes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow, I now have more games than I will probably have time in my entire life to play. I didn't see a Witcher collection yet... that's easy money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New deals updated on first post. New ones will be happening in about an hour. I really hope The Witcher 2 goes on sale, and Skyrim. (daily deal sales), those are instant buys for me.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    EDIT: nevermind
    Last edited by dlb; 07-14-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i'll be willing to help gift-buy some games, to help save extra ~25% (even with those big discounts), PM for exact prices... a few examples TESV:Skyrim [-50%] $20, Max Payne3 [-50%] $10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    Yeah, the steam version sadly doesn't have any soundtrack included but I remember there were many ways to get it working. Have a look at this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1756923
    Supposedly it will add the music to the steam version of the game as well as add some game fixes.
    Thanks for the link man, I really appreciate it.

Patch fixed my aiming problem, the impaired colors and no soundtrack!

Is there a patch for Quake 3 Arena too?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ^
    what could be wrong with Q3?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It had some weird glitch, it would start up fine but once I moved the mouse it turned all yellow and green. Read some of the forums and found to turn off the overlay when I right clicked and went to properties, now it is fine for me. Game on!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This sale has fucking ruined me - still waiting for Beyond Good and Evil and then that's it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i loved the entire Sam & Max bundle that costed less than $8

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    i loved the entire Sam & Max bundle that costed less than $8
    So did all the GTA games! Holy shit. That's it, no more PC games until next summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Everyone go buy Dear Esther.

Srsly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by THE JOHNNY ROOK View Post
    Everyone go buy Dear Esther.

Srsly.
    I spent the entire time taking screenshots like I was on vacation or something. It's a simply beautiful looking game and the score is equally so - I know this gets said a lot but it really is, this seems less like playing a game and a lot more like experiencing some other form of art.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    did a search, couldn't find a half life thread... got bored...
    FUCKING BLACK MESA is actually coming out... missing Xen sure, but grats to the team for actually sticking it out after so many years, I've been looking forward to this since it was two separate mods... and I can't wait to see how well (or badly) they have done. In terms of fandom its up there with the Mother 3 hardback guidebook and translation..

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by owinn View Post
    I spent the entire time taking screenshots like I was on vacation or something. It's a simply beautiful looking game and the score is equally so - I know this gets said a lot but it really is, this seems less like playing a game and a lot more like experiencing some other form of art.
    I'd like to try this but I only ever have up to an hour at a time to play games - can you save this part way through?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I'd like to try this but I only ever have up to an hour at a time to play games - can you save this part way through?
    Yes there is a quick save, and I'm pretty sure regular save. If not the game is also broken up into four chapters, and you can start at the beginning of each one after getting to it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Thank you - I'm going to get this then, sounds interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys, I have an extra copy of Civilization V (from XCOM preorder) if anyone wants it. All my friends have it.