Thread: Down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Down

No thread on these guys?!

The fuck, man!

New single out that's from their upcoming EP, Down IV: Purple, that will be out September 18th. The song's excellent.

I don't care, I love anything Phil Anselmo. If he's in it, consider me a fan or giving it a chance. Down is one of the my all time favorite metal bands and one of the very first I got into, even before the always talked about Pantera. But for me, Down is it. This new track blows me away.

NOLA forever. Fuck.

I know there's other fans here.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    One more reason why space is awesome.

Down is the shit and hope to catch them on tour.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    wasn't that impressed with the new track but I will pre-order the EP

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One of my all time favourites! Cannot wait. Shame COC mk2 had to make way for Down & COC mk1 but ah well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    fuck yes! Excited for this shit, seen em 2 times since the last recording and they were awesome!

Really looking forward to that doomy EP

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Solid band. Makes me want to find my Over the Under dvd. Can't wait for them to tour again. Last time they came here there wasn't many people but they weren't ginning a fuck, said it was more like a big party than a show. Cool dudes and cool band.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

this is great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    YES!
    DOWN FUCKING RULES!...YEP....
    The 2 songs are incredible
    how many EP's is going to be in the end 4 or 5?

the art work for this purple EP..is great.
    love this band
    Black Sabbath X 1000

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    four EP's total supposedly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is the whole show Down played in Dallas the 18th less the encore. Stone the Crow with Rex Brown (from the encore) is on my page also. I am going to upload the whole encore portion soon but its bed time now! Hope you all enjoy this for now! The show was amazing. Phil sounded great and I got to meet him after the show. Its great to see a guy who knocked Micheal Jackson off the charts be so humble. Did I mention the new E.P. kicks ass? GO BUY IT!!! THE END
    Last edited by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY; 09-21-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    SO excited to see them Friday. they are still crushing live, and it's nice to see Phil so loose these days. He talks too much, but these shows always come off as a party to me & not so much of a big production, so it's fine. Plus he says so much stupid shit he's always good for a laugh.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    They kick so much ass! Phil cried a little at the beginning because he was so happy to be back in Dallas! I saw them a year ago 2 nights in a row in Ft. Worth but it just seems like they just keep getting better!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I got the EP on Tuesday and damn is it amazing. The build-up and opening riffs of Levitation are so hard....gah. Open Coffins is probably my favorite song on this EP, can't wait for more and Part II!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FUCK YES!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Phil doing the horns of pan! Mint

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Greatness!!!! Low budget and occult! Thats down!!!!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I LOVE that video.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Maybe this belongs in the controversial opinions thread, but I pretty much find Down to be a total disappointment. The first record had some good moments (Stone the Crow in particular), but since then it's been a forgettable mess. The drumming is terrible. Jimmy Bower can't drum for shit: listen to that drumming in the new song: it's the sound of someone who doesn't know how to play the drums or lay down a solid beat. I get that this band has some legendary characters in it, but the music they make in Down is anything but legendary: it's generic Sabbath metal. Also they're terrible live: I saw them a couple of years ago and it was an awful experience.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i'm going to ignore aggroculture's insane opinion b/c they destroyed last night in Times Square. Phil's voice started off pretty bad & it def. does leave alot to be desired overall, but considering it's 2012, it was decent enough and got better through the night. Kirk & Pepper's guitar tone is so dirty, i love it. would have liked a much longer show, but they don't ever do that, so it is what it is. Misfortune Teller was the best new song they played.

Eyes of the South
    Witchtripper (new song)
    Open Coffins (new song)
    Lysergik Funeral Procession
    Lifer
    Pillars of Eternity
    Losing All
    Ghosts Along the Mississippi
    New Orleans Is a Dying Whore
    Temptation's Wings
    Misfortune Teller (new song)
    -----------
    Stone the Crow
    Bury Me in Smoke

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Pfffttttt

aggroculture, it doesn't belong in the controversial opinions thread, it belongs shoved WAY up your ass! I don't want this to turn into a pissing match but this thread is for people who like the band so get the fuck out of here!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    nah aggroculture knows alot about music from what i've seen on here. wide range of taste, and i agree alot with what he writes. but this Down opinion is just lunacy!

how can you not dig that? esp. Nothing In Return. such a beautiful song. And the drumming is bad? Are you referring to the drumming AFTER the first record, or just Down in general? I don't agree either way, but the drumming on the first record is especially good. so many great fills.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Can we not flame others for their opinions?

I thought that type of behaviour was for Marilyn Manson forums.

Down is great, seen them live multiple times. I got to meet Kirk and was a cool dude. My favorite album is down 2. Learn from my mistake is usually my go to saddy song .
    Last edited by Conan The Barbarian; 09-30-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Can we not flame others for their opinions?

I thought that type of behaviour was for Marilyn Manson forums.

Down is great, seen them live multiple times. I got to meet Kirk and was a cool dude. My favorite album is down 2. Learn from my mistake is usually my go to saddy song .
    I tend to go to Down II as well but I have a really, really strong fondness for III. I don't know why either. Maybe for the reasons it was recorded and the overall feel in most the lyrics. First album is great too. The first album really gives me a sense of southern hell and woes in hot Lousiana. It's phenomenal I can get that feeling generated from the songs music alone, let alone the lyrics.

Drum work shoddy? New Orleans is a Dying Whore has some amazing drumming. Also, if Down can properly cover Led Zeppelin's When the Levee Breaks with the drum intro like that then it's hard to say they're bad.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This new EP is a huge improvment from Down III, which I thought was a boring album.

NOLA and Down II still the best imo

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Also Kirk is out of the band to focus on Crowbar and their guitar tech is the new guitarist. I hope he comes back but its not the end of the world. I thought they might go south when Rex left but the last E.P. was fucking killer! I can't wait to see them at the end of the month at The Housecore Horror Festival. I am working on something special for that weekend for my lady if you catch my drift. I will post the video once its done!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Down IV Pt II out May 13th!

track listing:
    01. Steeple
    02. We Knew Him Well
    03. Hogshead/Dogshead
    04. Conjure
    05. Sufferer's Years
    06. Bacchanalia

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Hell Yes! I knew it was coming, but wasn't sure when!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Down!

Here is a crappy quality video of me proposing to my chick on stage right before Down performed at The Housecore Horror Film Festival!
    They rushed me to death so I didn't get a speech and we didn't even kiss until we were backstage but it was still pretty badass!
    Here is a pic we got with Phil afterwords and got signed later in the weekend:
    Phil has really come a long was since getting off the junk. As sad as I was about Dimebag I have to say that it probably saved Phil.
    In the last couple years I have got to hang out with him on multiple occasions and he is really down to earth. At the most Phil and the Illegals show in Dallas I got this started: I am going to get the rest of Down to sign it as the up coming show with Black Label Society. I will have to get Rex and Kirk at another time!

Here is one more for fun:

I have no idea why this is formatted so weird!
    Last edited by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY; 02-28-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)