Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PQHooligan View Post
    Am I the only one who got a mini-Flamingos "I Only Have Eyes For You" vibe from Kalopsia?

Haha, no! I've been trying to pin that down for two days. It was even in a dream the other night. I want to believe it's done deliberately.

Does Matador offer singles? This album's obviously packed with them and I would love to own some B-sides from the recording sessions. It looks like they didn't skimp on the marketing campaign funding.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    They'd certainly be silly NOT to issue a radio edit of "If I Had a Tail", that song has summer party jam written all over it. Whether there will be any physical single with B-side/s is a whole different question.
    Last edited by botley; 05-24-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    Yeah, there are other pics of QOTSA setlists that have the song as being played in C.

Honestly, any four-letter worded song played in C could be the scrapped #18: Avon, Deaf, Rope - I just assumed The Lost Art is the one they play the most.
    Oh alright then. Then I'd go for that one as well. Also because it would have been very late in the set if they save the more hit songs to the last.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I changed my phone wallpaper.

This looks awesome! I think I'm gonna steal the idea to my phone as well

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    Yeah Queens have been disappointing with their guests lately. Really the only ones I hear is Trent (barely) in Kalopsia. And you can hear some Elton background vocals and I assume piano on Fairweather Friends.
    Hi. This is Queens of the Stone Age, maybe you've heard of them. It may surprise you to learn that Songs for the Deaf included the following guests:
    It may surprise you to learn that Lullabies to Paralyze included the following guests:
    • Alain Johannes – guitar on tracks 5-7 and 11, bass on tracks 3, 4 and 9, flute & marxophone on track 9
    • Mark Lanegan – lead vocals on "This Lullaby" and "Precious and Grace" and vocals on "Burn the Witch" and "You Got a Killer Scene There Man..."
    • Chris Goss – vocals on "You Got a Killer Scene There Man..."
    • Billy Gibbons – guitar and vocals on "Burn the Witch" and "Precious and Grace"
    • Dave Catching – opening guitar on "The Blood Is Love"
    • Jack Black – handclaps and stomps on "Burn the Witch", and is also seen contributing the same for "Broken Box" during the bonus DVD
    • Jesse Hughes – flute part on "Someone's in the Wolf" (flute!? fucking seriously?)
    • Shirley Manson – vocals on "You Got a Killer Scene There, Man..."
    • Brody Dalle – vocals on "You Got a Killer Scene There Man..."
    • Joe Barresi – triangle on "Tangled Up in Plaid"
    • The Main Street Horns – tubas and baritone trombone on "I Never Came", "Someone's in the Wolf" and "Skin on Skin"
    • Josh Freese - co-wrote "In My Head"

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Read the liner notes, people. Or, if none are available, INTERNETS. And then enjoy, without trying to listen for a certain guest artist. Y'all gonna enjoy it, or ya ain't.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It is kinda annoying that most of their guest vocals lately are completely indistinguishable in the mix of each track. I'm still searching for Julian Casablancas' vocals in Sick, Sick, Sick. It took me about 5 listens before I first heard Trent in Era Vulgaris, and 3 listens before I spotted his line in Kalopsia. It's like QOTSA albums are a Where's Waldo of guest vocals - you know they're there, but it's gonna take awhile before you find them.

I'm also pissed they didn't utilize Oliveri in a Millionaire or Six Shooter-esque song...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    It is kinda annoying that most of their guest vocals lately are completely indistinguishable in the mix of each track. I'm still searching for Julian Casablancas' vocals in Sick, Sick, Sick. It took me about 5 listens before I first heard Trent in Era Vulgaris, and 3 listens before I spotted his line in Kalopsia. It's like QOTSA albums are a Where's Waldo of guest vocals - you know they're there, but it's gonna take awhile before you find them.

I'm also pissed they didn't utilize Oliveri in a Millionaire or Six Shooter-esque song...
    To me Trent was the easiest one to spot on the songs he's featured (I mean Kalopsia and Era Vulgaris). I still can't find Oliveri and Lanegan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Hi. This is Queens of the Stone Age, maybe you've heard of them. It may surprise you to learn that Songs for the Deaf included the following guests:
    I hope it didn't take you too long to type all that up. I've been listening to Queens for a long time. I'm well aware of the large amount of guests they have on their albums. My post was mainly referring to guest vocalists. When they say these people are singing on the record it'd be cool to, you know, hear them. You don't have to get your panties in a bunch.

And I never at any point said I don't like the record. In fact, that's the ONLY negative I have about it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    In case you missed it last night:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I hope it didn't take you too long to type all that up.
    I copied and pasted it from wikipedia.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    In case you missed it last night:
    Thanks for this! I hope somebody ripped it in HD, though.

When they say these people are singing on the record it'd be cool to, you know, hear them.
    Agreed. I actually think they do this on purpose as some kind of 'deconstruction of the guest vocalist role' or a subtle way of trolling their fanbase (they're too cool for rules)
    Last edited by Presideo; 05-24-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I may have been listening to this album stoned and the transitions literally made me jump at least twice! The album is fantastic! Plus I love the videos they made

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just got mail from Matador records saying that my deluxe LP is on the way

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    "You ain't a has-been if you never was, ain't that right Brant?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PQHooligan View Post
    Am I the only one who got a mini-Flamingos "I Only Have Eyes For You" vibe from Kalopsia?
    I thought I was the only one! I keep thinking of that Buffy episode it was in.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if there is an MP3 download of the NPR webcast?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'd like that, too!

God, that show was amazing! I will never get why they cling onto little sister after all this time, but the rest of the set is delicious! smooth sailing is a killer track! While they have headed into a completely different direction, the way they are heading with clockwork is one I can enjoy. The wait was well worth it and Josh was better off waiting for this to come together the way it did. Now give me those tour dates!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ha-psh, I don't know why everyone's so hung up on the guest vocals. I think having guest vocals hammered in like on "Era Vulgaris" kinda jarring. I think Josh has tuned it to a fine art, plus if they weren't on the tracks you probably would notice the difference.
    I relish the fact that Nick is pulled back in the tracks he's on, I find his contributions on most of the stuff he was on a little um, crass and underwhelming.
    You can hear Elton distinctively in Fairweather Friends plus Alex Turner, Nick and Brody Dalle at the end of If I Had A Tail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

They're also streaming the show on qotsa.com for a while

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Live show looks sweet as hell.

This is their best album... for real.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    At the moment I'd choose: Songs for the Deaf > Lullabies to Paralyze > Rated R > …Like Clockwork > Self-Titled > Era Vulgaris

I like them all, though…just varying degrees of 'like'.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Oh well...

Lullabies to Paralyze
    …Like Clockwork
    Songs for the Deaf

Rated R
    Era Vulgaris
    Self-Titled

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

One of the things I love about queens is there's no real consensus on what is their best and worst albums because they're all so good.
    S/t
    R
    Lc
    Sftd
    Ltp
    Ev

That list is liable to change at any moment

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Please, Queens. Please come to Seattle when you tour.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

Songs for the deaf
    Rated R
    Like Clockwork
    Lullabies to Paralyze
    Era Vulgaris
    S/T

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just for grins, here's Rob Delaney's take on the new album:

I have the new Queens of the Stone Age album, …Like Clockwork. It is amazing. I won’t “review” it since it’s not out yet and I’m not a music journalist and I don’t know what all the protocol is for stuff like this, but since they played the whole thing for the whole world on NPR the other night, streamed live from a show I had the very good fortune to attend, I figured I could talk about it a little bit. First, I’ll say it’s their best album since the towering “Songs for the Deaf.” The last two had some great songs on them (I still listen to “The Blood is Love” and “Into the Hollow” at least five times a week each) but there were also some that - in my opinion - extrapolated in certain directions that wound up not producing the beautifully wrought note-for-note masterpieces the Queens have trained us to demand. THAT SAID, I’m glad they made them because …Like Clockwork utilizes otherworldly, hitherto unseen sonic fuckery that couldn’t have existed without the experimentation they indulged in on Lullabies to Paralyze and Era Vulgaris. Josh Homme’s stint with Them Crooked Vultures clearly put him in the mood to make a legendary album too. I guess writing, recording and touring with John Paul Jones and Dave Grohl will do that to a person. And when that person is Homme, you better lube up, because it’s about to get nasty.
    In sum, the already prolific Homme spent the last few years getting even better. It’s something to behold.
    One note: I knew Elton John was on the album in some capacity. After a couple of listens, my guess was that he co-wrote “The Vampyre of Time and Memory,” since it’s scope and majesty recalls songs like “Funeral for a Friend.” But then I found out he sings in the chorus on “Fairweather Friends” and “Vampyre” just reminded me of the best of John. Fun error to make.
    I give it 10 out 10 hard dicks coated in raspberry jam made by a orphaned shepherdess on a Greek isle time forgot about.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm on the title track and... fuck... this is great.

Here's how I would rank their albums so far...

1. Rated R
    2. Songs for the Deaf
    3. ...Like Clockwork
    4. Era Vulgaris
    5. QOSTA
    6. Lullabies to Paralyze

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I will never get why they cling onto little sister after all this time...
    i think because it's a fan favorite (both casual and hardcore fans alike). it's catchy, it's fun, and it's got great energy. plus, i love the guitar solo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well if everyone, then here's my list:

1. Songs For The Deaf
    2. Lullabies to Paralyze
    3. ...Like Clockwork
    4. Era Vulgaris
    5. Rated R
    6. Selftitled

Really hard to choose because indeed all the albums are very good. Songs for the deaf is easily the no. 1 (since it's one of my favourite records of all time) but the list after that is hard to choose.