Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    "I am weightless, yet heaviness defines
    Between what home was and the yellow moon
    My love will not survive
    Emotion sickness, I wanna die"

I love when bands use titles for other tracks, in lyrics for others. The first half of the album is definitely my favorite so far, with Time & Place being an absolute banger of a track; I cannot stop listening to it.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 06-18-2023 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    One of my favourite albums this year so far for sure.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Ranking:

...Like Clockwork
    Songs for the Deaf
    Lullabies to Paralyze
    Rated R
    In Times New Roman...
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Era Vulgaris
    Villains

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I always have trouble ranking albums - they always appeal to me differently in different phases of my life or where my state of mind is - but here's where I'm at right now

...Like Clockwork
    Lullabies to Paralyse
    In Times New Roman
    Era Vulgaris
    Villains
    Songs for the Deaf
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Rated R

It's not that I don't like the first 3 albums, Songs for the Deaf in itself is one hell of an album but I was a bit of a latecomer fan and I don't have that same appreciation/nostalgia for the earlier part of their career as a lot of the fans do. Their style Lullabies to Paralyse onwards is more my style.

I came onboard during the Like Clockwork tour. I saw QOTSA for the first time knowing of them but not really KNOWING them during the NIN/QOTSA Australia tour. They opened the Perth show and I was blown away, especially by I Appear Missing.

The set that night - Queens of the Stone Age Concert Setlist at Perth Arena, Perth on March 11, 2014 | setlist.fm

People may crucify me for rating Villains above Songs for the Deaf but Feet Don't Fail Me now might be one of my favourite openers to an album of all time, Un-Reborn Again hits me in a way I can't explain and Villains of Circumstance is beautiful to me.
    Last edited by Disassociative; 06-19-2023 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    ...but Feet Don't Fail Me now might be one of my favourite openers to an album of all time, Un-Reborn Again hits me in a way I can't explain and Villains of Circumstance is beautiful to me.
    YES! Amazing opening track.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    A few pages back, I wrote extensive reviews for each album, and the rankings came out like this. After listening to the new album about 6 times now, it sounds like it could have come out right in between Lullabies and Era Vulgaris.

Lullabies to Paralyze
    Songs For the Deaf
    ...Like Clockwork
    In Times, New Roman
    Villains
    Self-titled
    Rated R
    Era Vulgaris

Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative
    People may crucify me for rating Villains above Songs for the Deaf but Feet Don't Fail Me now might be one of my favourite openers to an album of all time, Un-Reborn Again hits me in a way I can't explain and Villains of Circumstance is beautiful to me.
    And I felt I would be crucified for almost putting Villains, above Like Clockwork, if the first half of the album was better.

Head Like a Haunted House
    Un-Reborn Again
    Hideaway
    The Evil Has Landed
    Villains of Circumstance

This is a heavy hit of a second half, with HLAHH, The Evil Has Landed, and Villains of Circumstance being some of my favorite songs they have ever written. Villains gets unwarranted criticism, but that's just me; it's actually a fantastic album. The new album is just a tad more fun to listen to, and is very consistent. That, and Like Clockwork edge it out, jussst enough for me to rank them over Villains by a hair.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Let's see...rankings...rankings...

...Like Clockwork
    Songs For The Deaf
    Rated R
    Era Vulgaris
    Lullabies To Paralyze
    Villains
    S/T
    In Times New Roman...

I should point out that ranking an album on the lower end of things doesn't make it a bad album. I just like the others more.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    S/T
    SFTD
    LTP
    R
    ITNR
    LC
    EV
    Vil

...I think. Only one I know for certain is S/T at number 1 and Villains last. Everything else can and does move.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    True ten years ago, true now:
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I personally could give two shits about "rankings" for each album, I love them all...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's not that I don't like the first 3 albums, Songs for the Deaf in itself is one hell of an album but I was a bit of a latecomer fan and I don't have that same appreciation/nostalgia for the earlier part of their career as a lot of the fans do. Their style Lullabies to Paralyse onwards is more my style.
    Same. Other than hearing No One Knows, I didn't really get into them until Lullabies. To me, that album feels like a shift away from the early albums, maybe due to Nick not being a member anymore. Not that I'm going to rank them, but Rated R is the one I never listen to.

The new album has grown on me a lot. When I first heard Emotion Sickness, I didn't really like it. Now it's one of my favorites. It has a bit of an Eagles of Death Metal vibe to it. Paper Machete is my favorite track, I can't stop listening to it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

1:36 No One Knows

6:21 Feel Good Hit Of The Summer (first time since 2018)

9:49 Smooth Sailing

14:47 My God Is The Sun

18:34 Carnavoyeur

22:57 The Way You Used To Do

27:34 If I Had a Tail

33:03 Emotion Sickness

38:55 Little Sister

42:15 Make it Wit Chu

47:49 God Is in the Radio (first time since 2010; dedicated to Mark Lanegan RIP)

57:34 Go With The Flow

1:01:04 A Song For the Dead

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Same. Other than hearing No One Knows, I didn't really get into them until Lullabies. To me, that album feels like a shift away from the early albums, maybe due to Nick not being a member anymore. Not that I'm going to rank them, but Rated R is the one I never listen to.

The new album has grown on me a lot. When I first heard Emotion Sickness, I didn't really like it. Now it's one of my favorites. It has a bit of an Eagles of Death Metal vibe to it. Paper Machete is my favorite track, I can't stop listening to it.
    Same here, for Emotion Sickness. It has really grown on me, and I find myself humming the chorus all the time, now

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Gave the new album a spin tonight. It's very good after one listen, but I also think it will be a grower.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    The latest shows have been great! they also posted this one and i was rocking to it last weekend:

Setlist:

- Misfit Love
    - Little Sister
    - I Sat by the Ocean
    - My God Is the Sun
    - Carnavoyeur
    - The Way You Used to Do
    - If I Had a Tail
    - Emotion Sickness
    - Smooth Sailing
    - The Evil Has Landed
    - Paper Machete
    - Make It Wit Chu
    - Go With the Flow
    - No One Knows
    - A Song for the Dead

Love that they are playing different setlists!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    At the end of Carnavoyeur I keep waiting for all hell to break loose, so weird that it just abruptly stops there! But weird in a good, unexpected way.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I finally listened to the album via the Atmos mix on Apple music and apparently the whole album suffers from the same thing the single did: it sounds horrible. It's like 3/4 as loud as the regular mix and it is constrained in a way that I don't understand, like it's being piped over a dialup connection circa 1999 RealPlayer or something.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I finally listened to the album via the Atmos mix on Apple music and apparently the whole album suffers from the same thing the single did: it sounds horrible. It's like 3/4 as loud as the regular mix and it is constrained in a way that I don't understand, like it's being piped over a dialup connection circa 1999 RealPlayer or something.
    That's a shame. I've not listened to the Atmos mix through my MacBook or AirPods yet. That has me worried. A love a good Atmos mix but the bad ones can be pretty craptacular and this sounds like one of those from your description :/
    The volume been lower is sorta standard for an Atmos mix but the mix actually has to be good for it to benefit...

edit: ok yeah no this Atmos mix sucks. It sounds like I'm underwater or something.
    Last edited by Disassociative; 06-20-2023 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    In Times New Roman and the Foo Fighters But Here We are Are, are tied as my favorite albums of 2023.

Also, listening to the new album, like any QOTSA album without weed is like eating lobster without the melted better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    In Times New Roman and the Foo Fighters But Here We are Are, are tied as my favorite albums of 2023.

Also, listening to the new album, like any QOTSA album without weed is like eating lobster without the melted better.
    Same here, evidence that tragedy really brings out the best art. Both albums feel so important and genuine.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Negative s p a c e <3 <3

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Anyone heard the hidden track?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Anyone heard the hidden track?
    The Feel Good Hit of the Summer re-recorded?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    That's a shame. I've not listened to the Atmos mix through my MacBook or AirPods yet. That has me worried. A love a good Atmos mix but the bad ones can be pretty craptacular and this sounds like one of those from your description :/
    The volume been lower is sorta standard for an Atmos mix but the mix actually has to be good for it to benefit...

edit: ok yeah no this Atmos mix sucks. It sounds like I'm underwater or something.
    I don’t hate the Atmos mix. It has a lot of space in it. But the regular stereo mix does, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldeaf2 View Post
    The Feel Good Hit of the Summer re-recorded?
    Yes, sadly it's only on the Vinyl version, since Spotify could care less about it...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Going through some random songs today, and seems the band is a more well-oiled machine, when they have multiple guest apparearnces on them. They're so solid, even with a consistent line-up, but their sound becomes a tad more hollow, with the last two releases. It is amazing that they can make such quality music, even when they're not firing on all cylinders.

Wound up just listening to Like Clockwork again, and it sets the mood for a sunny day, or even a gloomy one, like it is on Long Island. Damn, I love this band.

Edit: Also, catching up on all the b-sides, and covers. Damn, Era Vulgaris' bonus tracks are damn good. The title track with Trent on it, is a huge song, along with them covering Elliott Smith, who is one of my favorite musicians.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 06-24-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Yes, sadly it's only on the Vinyl version, since Spotify could care less about it...
    If anyone’s curious:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Watched their set from Glastonbury on BBC iPlayer. They were amazing, very tight and slick, think they made a lot of new fans!.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Watched their set from Glastonbury on BBC iPlayer. They were amazing, very tight and slick, think they made a lot of new fans!.
    Sadly, only works in the UK...