Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Random HTDA thoughts

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random HTDA thoughts

JESUS, Nine Inch Nails fans are juvenile. I just don't see why any of this shit MATTERS. It's a fucking BAND, for Christ sake. No Nobel prize or cure for cancer is involved.

I fully admit that I don't love HTDA, but I don't hate them, either. I fully admit that I think that Mariqueen sings exactly like Debbie Gibson. HOWEVER, I read some of these tour journals because I think Mariqueen is a compelling figure; she's fascinating. And she's really pretty. And singing like Debbie Gibson isn't necessarily a "bad" thing, since Debbie Gibson had a lot of hits and a lucrative career. These live HDTA shows is like Stevie Nicks mated with Debbie Gibson and then mated with Trent Reznor.

Wait, that didn't come out the way it is in my head.

But I DO think that HDTA should cover "Only in My Dreams" and "Gold Dust Woman."
    Last edited by allegro; 04-18-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I don't care how people perceive the band artistically; that's clearly all subjective and blah blah blah. But people also operate on a weird fantasy set of premises on how the music business works, in terms of motivations etc. and that just sucks because it reinforces shitty prejudices.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random HTDA thoughts

Yup, you hit the nine inch nail right on the head.

I thought it was all just sexist but now the zingers pointed at Rob are just weird. What if these are a bunch of friends who really love hanging out with each other and this is a lot of fun for them? Reznor is the one taking the biggest risk, here, and he obviously doesn't care. If anything, this says that he's not a total careerist who cares only about his reputation and the almighty dollar. This reminds me of Perry and Etty who genuinely love being together with each other and their friends and kids and they don't care if you don't like their style of creativity or togetherness because that's not the point. You're right, though; the motivation is not important.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-18-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Ken Scott's book Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust is a good place to learn about the inner workings of showbusiness as it relates to rock 'n roll — that guy was always, always around incredibly talented musicians, his whole career, and produced some of their best work. He makes it clear that only sheer talent (combined with lots of luck) makes for a killer show, and actually whose husband or friend you are counts for LESS than zero if you want to contribute to a project and have it be a success. Case in point would be the band Missing Persons. I compare HTDA to them more than anything else — sure, there were plenty of hardcore Terry Bozzio fans from his time with Frank Zappa's band and they came out to see him and his wife play shows, but what kept the band going was their unique combination of talents.

You also make a great point about just wanting to hang out. I'm sure TR was missing having Alessandro around for the last NIN tour. But they wouldn't bring him along if he wasn't talented — plus his singing voice compliments Mariqueen's beautifully.
    Last edited by botley; 04-18-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random HTDA thoughts

Missing Persons is a great example. Terry AND Dale Bozzio were awesome together.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-18-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    They still ARE great, and Terry's not even in the band anymore! I think you'd love that book, PS.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random HTDA thoughts

I trust you on that, friend, and will order it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Bottom line is, nobody really heard of MQ before she married Trent. West Indian Girl was not exactly tearing up the charts and headlining festivals. MQ will always be known as Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nail's wife..So all these HTDA fans who think this band is so amazing, that's fine, but the bottom line is the band is getting noticed because of Trent. they are getting booked at festivals because of Trent. Don't act like everyone is an equal member and TR is a background player...He may take 2nd stage during the live shows but his NAME is responsible for their record deal, their festival bookings and 95 percent of their "fans....In respect to her, it probably would have been a better career move to start a band OUTSIDE of her marriage and make it on her own....HTDA will always be perceived as Trent Reznor from NIN's little side project with his wife and photog buddy/sidekick....
    Last edited by jaypayton; 04-19-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    *snore*

Who gives a flying fuck if the band includes his wife and his art director? Point is, do you like the music? If the answer is yes, rock on. If the answer is no, thanks for your time and move along. Moaning about who is in the group and why people like them is pointless.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    No shit Sherlock. If the band was Q/Atticus/Rob, everyone on this board would still know they exist, but the casual NIN fans probably wouldn't've noticed. What's the crime in having a famous member? Do you also go on Wings messageboards and bitch about how they'd be no one without McCartney?

Yes, they would be less famous without an already famous member. No, that has no relation on the quality of the music nor anyone here's enjoyment (or lack thereof) of it.

And a side note: everyone is an equal member of the band. Two members have a famous rockstar surname, but their musical input is all equal.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I wonder if the same bullshit flooded Tool forums when Maynard started APC.

I can give all the HTDA haters a parallel world scenario.
    Imagine there is no band at all. NIN is done touring for a while. Trent is doing soundtracks with Atticus and raising kinds with Q. Then it all goes completely quiet for a year or so with no new music, side projects or whatever, until 2013 NIN tour is announced with the same dates. Realistic? Sure, this isn't new, happened several times in the past (minus kids). But is it better than having HTDA to fill the gap? Decide for yourselves.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    you people are far too sensitive. neither jaypayton nor myself said there's "a crime" or some shit like that. what's the point of having a mess-age board and facepalming every post you don't agree with? do you really believe, q would have gotten a record deal with columbia all on her own without having trents name attached to her? i'd say the signs strongly point to: no, probably. she got married to the guy, they love each other, they have good friends and decided to start a band and have good time. which is perfectly fine and not our business to judge. still, people perceiving q as some kind of star who was bound to have a major-deal and a band and performances on festivals no matter what... are exaggerating. i'm not saying she hasnt any talent though.

also, this is a board for discussions, right? what's the point in only posting our little fanboy stuff, while critical words - few as there are - get facepalmed and shitted on and not taking seriously?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    More, they aren't under nin-umbrella. They're under coil-umbrella. Their moniker is uncomfortable, it's hard to type and to pronounce. But besides that (tiny and irrelevant) thing, my main beef with them is they made a brilliant first record in 2010, which was fresh and fun like a meteor in summer midnight sky but now they return with dark and conceptual record again. I like Mar-Maa's singing, while the band seems to be really limiting her this time, i can't help but kind of doubt she fully enjoys her role in this Sorry if my words offend anyone.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random HTDA thoughts

You people are analyzing this way too much? In case you haven't noticed, the recording business isn't the best career choice these days.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Yeah. It's a different world now, there are zero 'big privileges' afforded on name recognition alone anymore. You don't see "Trent Reznor's HTDA" on the marquees.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    the HTDA fanboys are trying to act like its a separate thing from TR and NIN and that MQ is the star of the band and TR's role is in the background.....which is nonsense....the record deal, the festival bookings, the tickets selling out quick, the attention is all because of the name TRENT REZNOR....he may be in the background during the live show, but TR is still the reason anyone takes notice...don't kid yourself and think otherwise......and starting a band with your wife and photog sidekick seems like a no win situation....If Kurt Cobain started a band with Courtney Love and their photographer buddy in 1993....the perception would have been brutal......

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Random HTDA thoughts

It's pretty easy to judge another person's merit from their computer.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Who are you arguing with, jaypayton, exactly? You are just repeating the same assertions now, not responding to what anyone else is saying, which is basically "things aren't that straightforward". It isn't just TR's name that draws interest, it's his standard of excellence in taste and collaborative track record that people respond to so strongly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hm. Didn't realize there was quite so much HTDA/NIN bitching going on. I confess, I didn't like HTDA that much at first; I thought it was a big enough of a divergence (i.e. happy songs?!?!?!11!!!) from "NIN proper" that it wasn't quick sticking with me the first few times I listened through the EP/album/whatever.

That said, I think the live show is one of the most visually compelling things that Trent's done in years -- and I include LITS in that one. The songs might not really stick for your NIN Überfans, but I think that they contain enough throwbacks to the general WT era (if not The Fragile) that they're still fun. Who doesn't love all that bass wub-wub, too. Shit, even Ice Age has grown on me after watching the performance version, and I think that's one of the weaker songs that HTDA has put out.

Which is all a long-winded way to say... who cares? See the show and hate the band for all I care; it's definitely a visual treat.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypayton View Post
    the HTDA fanboys are trying to act like its a separate thing from TR and NIN and that MQ is the star of the band and TR's role is in the background.....which is nonsense....the record deal, the festival bookings, the tickets selling out quick, the attention is all because of the name TRENT REZNOR....he may be in the background during the live show, but TR is still the reason anyone takes notice...don't kid yourself and think otherwise......and starting a band with your wife and photog sidekick seems like a no win situation....If Kurt Cobain started a band with Courtney Love and their photographer buddy in 1993....the perception would have been brutal......
    Hi there, @jaypayton, I don't usually feed trolls but I've got a miserable knee injury and didn't bring any painkillers to work this morning so I figure this is the best way to dull the pain today.

How to destroy angels_ is as much Mariqueen Reznor (accomplished musician prior to being married to Trent in bands called West Indian Girl and I Will Never Be The Same), Atticus Ross (accomplished musician in 12 Rounds, producing Barry Adamson, programming for Bomb the Bass all before meeting Trent), Alessandro Cortini (was in the Mayfield Four and Modwheelmood and played with such bands as Everclear live as well all prior to meeting Trent) and Rob Sheridan (who I admit has pretty much spent his entire career working with Trent) as it is Trent Reznor's "other band".

Oddly, I was a fan of West Indian Girl before Mariqueen and Trent were married. I recorded two really awful videos of their performance at the Treasure Island Music Festival in 2007. One is linked below.
    http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1153178fdfbtbJa

I'm the webmaster for 12rounds.net. I was a huge fan of Claudia and Atticus and saw them on tour in 1998. Yes, it took them being on Nothing Records for me to discover them, but I bought the album and saw the band in concert and started a website for them that eventually became "official" because of the amazing music that the band made, not because of Trent Reznor.

As a part of my association with 12 Rounds, I met a guy named Mike who introduced me to Modwheelmood. I greatly enjoyed their Semi-Human live EP which was a free download and included a cover of Depeche Mode's "Home" and a cover of The Cranberries "Ode to My Family" in addition to four tracks that were later on "commercial" Modwheelmood releases. I learned about Modwheelmood a few months before Trent put together the live band that added Alessandro Cortini to Nine Inch Nails. I own every Modwheelmood, Blindoldfreak, Sonoio and Alessandro Cortini release thus far released not because of his association with Trent but because he makes damned good music that I connect to.

Rob Sheridan is not Trent's "photographer buddy". Yes, Rob takes photographs. But Rob also has provided art direction and visuals on just about every nine inch nails related release or product since 2000. He did a tremendous amount of work on the Year Zero ARG, which I participated significantly in. And in How to destroy angels_ he does twiddle knobs and sing backing vocals. Yes, I know about Rob and became a fan of Rob's because of Trent.

But you know what? I would have seen How to destroy angels_ at slightly smaller venues based on Mariqueen, Atticus and Alessandro being in the band, with or without Trent. I would have been just excited to see the three of them as I am with having Trent in the band because I love their music, especially Atticus and Alessandro.

You know what is cool about Trent being in the band? He is having fun working on a project he's been wanting to do with a female vocalist since the Fragile era. That vocalist likely would have been Aaliyah based on reports in 1999 if not for her untimely death.

Would you have had less of a problem if Tapeworm had come to fruition and Maynard, Atticus, Danny and Charlie would have been in the band with Trent "in the background"?

Also, Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love DID collaborate on some tracks. Asking For It and Clean Up Before She Comes came out of Nirvana and Kurt/Courtney demos. It is likely had it not been for Kurt's death that a project with the two of them would have been fully realized and you know what... people would have liked that too.

So please do us all a favor and buy yourself a ticket to a How to destroy angels_ show and shut up. Here's a video to give you a good sampling of their live show.

I forgot one other important detail... Only one of the shows I attended was a "sell out" crowd, last night in San Francisco. There were tickets available for Pomona, Monterey and Las Vegas at the door. I'd assume Trent's name and the drawing power of being on Columbia Records really drew in the crowds. While it is disappointing to me that the band aren't playing huge venues, I saw 12 Rounds at the Black Cat in Washington DC in a crowd numbering less than 10, where two guys decided to lay on the ground in front of Claudia throughout the show. I saw Modwheelmood at The Elbo Room in San Francisco with a crowd numbering in the dozens. Both of those shows were great and I was happy to be a part of something special. The crowd size doesn't matter if the people in front of you love what they are doing.
    Last edited by Erik; 04-19-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Forgot about addressing "selling out" of shows

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    the HTDA fanboys are trying to act like its a separate thing from TR and NIN and that MQ is the star of the band and TR's role is in the background....which is nonsense....the record deal, the festival bookings, the tickets selling out quick, the attention is all because of the name TRENT REZNOR...he may be in the background during the live show, but TR is still the reason anyone takes notice...
    In the grand scheme of things, all of this matters because...?

and starting a band with your wife and photog sidekick seems like a no win situation...
    Why?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @jaypayton who cares about "perception" or "why they're famous". Fame does not equal quality anyways (Nickleback could headline festivals im sure). Trent Reznor can make a new band with his wife if he wants, is he supposed to not do it just because people like you might perceive it as weird? If that was the case, I would call him a pussy bitch. As a musician myself, nothing you EVER do should be thought about from the perspective of "what are people going to think of this?". If you have an idea you think is cool, go for it. Fuck what people think. Trent Reznor can't help that his name creates fame, and he shouldn't play by different rules just because it does.

and @r_z what's the point of having a mess-age board when you can't point out the stupidity in what other people are saying. Also, you are not saying what Jaypayton is, you were kind of closer to everyone else in that post, so I really don't get where you're coming from with the statement "you people are far too sensitive. neither jaypayton nor myself said there's "a crime" or some shit like that." Pointing out stupid shit does not equal being sensitive. You're preconceptions about the people posting is what drives you to think that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    In 3 months NIN is back and none of this matters.....What set this off was last week when HDTA played Coachella, all the fanboys came out of the woodwork like this was some unbelievable event. Combined with what some of my friends in cali who attended the Coachella and headline gigs told me, which was a ton of people in the crowd were wearing NIN shirts and screaming for TR during the show and were not even familiar with 90 percent of the songs..... If NIN was dead and buried, I think TR would be getting slaughtered by the hardcore NIN fanbase (myself included) for ending NIN to start a band with wifey and his photog sidekick buddy....The fact NIN is back takes the sting out of it...Part of me wonders if TR decided to announce the return of NIN before the 1st HTDA shows, to avoid getting blasted by the NIN fanbase.. And I am well aware Kurt collaborated with Courtney on a few occasions..And its regarded as a low point of his career. Husband and wife musician tag teams do not end well and do not look good in the grand scheme of things. Look at what a joke KMFDM has become. Of course there is Yoko Ono. enough said...
    Last edited by jaypayton; 04-19-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    wifey
    Aaaaand here is the actual heart of your troubles. And why this endless discussion with you will never go anywhere.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If NIN was dead and buried, I think TR would be getting slaughtered by the hardcore NIN fanbase (myself included) for ending NIN to start a band with wifey and his photog sidekick buddy....
    Serious question: If Mariqueen wasn't married to Trent and Rob was Charlie Clouser, would your opinion of the band have changed? If you just go in the same circle for a fifth or sixth time, I'll just leave it with this quote by a somewhat famous lyricist:
    "The beginning is the end, keeps coming around again."

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Jesus fucking Christ you people. "Discussion board" doesn't mean "endlessly shit on a band without actually providing comprehensive reasoning as to why you think it's a shitty band", nor does it mean "continually spew out the same post re-worded for three pages." Go back to the NIN forum and talk about something else.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    @jaypayton do you honestly believe that it is possible that yes, people were interested in HTDA because of TR but that the majority of them don't like the music? That all those fans attending shows are there only to see TR and that it doesn't matter what else is happening; he could do nothing but stand there like a potted plant and they would pay their hard-earned money to see that?

Also: are you aware that there are some fans who still, to this day, wear their NIN shirts to Filter's shows?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^I wear my NIN performance 2007 shirt to a lot of gigs, because it's the only vaguely 'rock' t-shirt I've got. I always liked that NIN shirts were tastefully done, I don't like having a picture of some bands' big faces on my front!

HTDA thought - why no love for Too Late All Gone on the tour? It's my absolute favourite on the album
    Last edited by WorzelG; 04-19-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post

HTDA thought - why no love for Too Late All Gone on the tour? It's my absolute favourite on the album
    Perhaps they thought that the vocals weren't doable in a decent-sounding way live, with the overlapping and skipping and such.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Perhaps they thought that the vocals weren't doable in a decent-sounding way live, with the overlapping and skipping and such.
    I wonder if they tried it out in rehearsals? I'd love to see some rehearsal footage.