Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Up Your Cherry

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)

Up Your Cherry

Melissa and I finally started making music together. She's getting her PhD in composition, while I've got years of experience in a shitty punk band. I play a jazz drum kit, she plays a Mandocaster. Our band is called Up Your Cherry, which is an eggcorn of a piacere. We played a dozen or so gigs last year, got busy with other stuff, but last week we finally recorded one of our songs, which you can stream and freely download at
    http://upyourcherry.bandcamp.com/
    Hope you enjoy!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I liked This One. The unexpected references were great, notably wintermute . Who has lyrics duties, or do you split that? Looking forward to hearing more.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Purchased! Lovin' what I hears.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    bg - thanks! Melissa handles music and words, I handle rhtyhm and production (although that was rushed in this case)

botley - Much appreciated, that means a lot from you. Funnily enough, I was walking home thinking about the mix of the next track we're posting, and was thinking of consulting your ears on what I'm putting out, because right or wrong, I feel like you've got pretty discerning taste when it comes to stuff like that. Listening to the track we put on Bandcamp, I think I might have cut the bass too much, but it's so hard to stay objective. It'll be kind of interesting mixing these one at a time, cuz I'm pretty sure that when we compile an EP or LP, I'll do some re-mixing so that everything sounds uniformish.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'd be happy to consult. My taste is for a little bit more "thwack" on the kick drum, which actually has more to do with midrange frequencies than bass, but it really does depend on what you're going for sonically. I think when you're putting out one track at a time, it's good to get a mix you're happy with on a gut-feeling basis, then only tweak it later if something sounds drastically out of whack with the other tracks you put it next to (after level-matching them, of course).