EMDE was pretty awful. I wouldn't really call it a "new direction" so much as an attempt to tap into the emo music that was popular at the time (Note: the emo music that was popular at the time sounded exactly the same as the punk music that was popular in the late 90s to me. I'm assured that the major difference between the two genres was lyrical, rather than musical. I'm old and out of the musical loop now though.)

THEOL was okay, in the sense that it was an attempt to get back to his musical roots, but it was a fairly poor attempt. There were a couple of good songs on there, but nothing as good as his early stuff. The only track I still listen to occasionally is the last track, which I reckon was on par with his MA material.

I think the turning point for Manson was Holy Wood. That was a great album, don't get me wrong, but the decision to go backwards, musically, was a bad one. He'd proven he could do something really interesting and different with Mechanical Animals, but it felt like he caved to criticism from a vocal minority who didn't like that he'd abandoned his heavy industrial roots (admittedly, I was initially disappointed with MA too, but I rapidly changed my mind, and it became my favourite album of 1998). Holy Wood is a great album, and I still listen to it a whole lot, but it marks the point at which Manson's regression started.

There's a great TR interview somewhere where he says (paraphrased from memory): "Once upon a time he was the smartest guy in the room. Now he's a dopey clown. I wish he'd get his shit together, he could still be great." Which is pretty much spot on.

Here's hoping he's gotten his shit together for this album. Although it sounds like he's still a drunk.