Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Rage Against The Machine

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    RAtM + CHUCK D + B REAL

vs.

Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Primitive Race = created by Chris Kniker, and featuring Raymond Watts (PIG, KMFDM), Dave Ogilvie (Skinny Puppy), Mark Gemini Thwaite (Peter Murphy, Spear of Destiny, Tricky, Mob Research, The Mission, Gary Numan), Erie Loch (LUXT, Blownload, Exageist), Graham Crabb (Pop Will Eat Itself) and Kourtney Klein (Combichrist, Nitzer Ebb).
    LOL.

I love ALL those guys but NOPE.

NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The RATM reunion sounded too good to be true, i don't care about the new supergroup, i do like all the guys involved but it just doesn't sound appealing to me.
    And yeah everyone is expecting Zach to do something, either solo or as a band, that solo album that never came out was so expected, not only because Trent, but also because DJ Shadow.
    The "Run the Jewels" song gave fans new hope, i wish Zach's talent wouldn't be wasted, but it's clear the guy doesn't want to do stuff, i hope he decides to do a comeback sometime...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 05-19-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    We haven't even heard one note from them and you are calling it shit without giving it a proper chance or even knowing what it sounds like; relatively speaking it might sound closer to Rage, hence the name of the group, than Street Sweeper Social Club.
    It just seems like your are disappointed that Zack isn't going to be on it and your calling it shit cause its all or nothing mentality, which is quite ridiculous. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion but I disagree with you and your hasty conclusion.

I can see it working with Chuck D but I'm no so sure about B Real being on it. I'll reserve judgement until we get the album.
    I don't need to hear a single note. Like, Bobbie Solo said, pretty much everything these dudes have done since RATM has been awful. Audioslave was just another butt rock band, and don't get me started on how cheesy and boring SSSC was. Zach is the only one who has put worthy music out in the last 16 years. So yeah, I personally don't see how this will not be shit.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal

sigh. what could've been.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    In this scenario it appears RATM is just the backup group, playing existing songs. That's something they do, and do very well. If you aren't a fan of PE or Cypress I can see sitting it out but if you're expecting "shit" new stuff, you're, um, not getting it.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    sigh. what could've been.
    I know!
    I was looking forward to this album so bad, i believe "March..." and "We want it all", were the only released tracks, such a waste!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    In this scenario it appears RATM is just the backup group, playing existing songs. That's something they do, and do very well. If you aren't a fan of PE or Cypress I can see sitting it out but if you're expecting "shit" new stuff, you're, um, not getting it.
    It's them doing Rage songs that won't work, outside of the more straight ahead hip hop tracks on Renegades. I have zero problem with Rage being the backup band to B Real & Chuck D doing Cypress & P.E. tracks live. They both do their songs with a backing band anyway.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Is this like the second Audioslave?
    Technically pre-Audioslave.
    Formation (2000–2001)[edit]

Audioslave's history dates back to October 18, 2000, when Rage Against the Machine's lead vocalist Zack de la Rocha announced he was leaving the band, citing a breakdown in its "decision-making process".[8] Rage Against the Machine broke up as a result of de la Rocha's departure, but the remaining three members of the band—Tim Commerford, Tom Morello, and Brad Wilk—decided to stay together and announced plans to continue with a new vocalist.[9] Several vocalists jammed with the three, including B-Real of Cypress Hill, but they did not want another rapper or anybody who sounded like de la Rocha.[10

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I really feel like hearing Chuck-D and B-Real trying to emulate Zach de la Rocha on all the RATM they'll play will be pretty cringeworthy. I have never ever been a fan of Cypress Hill so B-Real is an auto boner killer for me, and Chuck D is great, dude's a legend, and I can even see him doing the better job of covering Zach's vocals, but the both of them? No way. It just sounds so lame and uninteresting to me.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Maybe they won't cover so much songs from RATM but rather Cypress Hill and PE? Think "How I Could Just Kill A Man" but with B-Real on the Mic and such...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Think "How I Could Just Kill A Man" but with B-Real on the Mic and such...
    B Real IS on How I Could Just Kill A Man. I'm confusored.

As as for the what might happen on stage, cross the fingers and hope for the best. I'm guessing it would be a mix of RATM, PE, and CH songs- unless I missed something and that's already been clarified.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Just in case you weren't kidding, they were talking about B Real rapping atop RAtM's cover of the Cypress Hill original.

And I guess we'll just have to wait till the countdown's done to find out wtf is up!

EXCITEMENT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Ok...so wait, when they do PE and Cypress tracks, they just fucking rap over a tape deck while RATM arent even on stage? This shit just gets even more lame.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Ok...so wait, when they do PE and Cypress tracks, they just fucking rap over a tape deck while RATM arent even on stage? This shit just gets even more lame.
    I doubt that. I'm sure there's going to be some pre-recorded "just press play" stuff but guessing the band will add their own spin into it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I doubt that. I'm sure there's going to be some pre-recorded "just press play" stuff but guessing the band will add their own spin into it.
    it was just a medley of CH/PE songs i think and they had a guy at the turntable behind them, it's on YT. still it would have been better to have the RATM play those as well but I guess they had to please the rap people in the audience in some ways too

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I just saw the prophet posters here in SF tonight, I thought they were just in LA. Gig coming soon?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

doesnt sound so bad...

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The festival they were slated to play at tonight got canceled. They announced a show at a small venue in Brooklyn tonight.

Just stood in line for two hours and have my wristband.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    We got on the rail. My friend got a set list. It was just fucking unreal.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Sooooo fucking jealous! I was within walking distance and standing around sweating all day before getting ABSOLUTELY DRENCHED in the rain and would have FUCKING KILLED to bootleg the HELL out of that shit!!! EXCEPT I HAD NO IDEA.

Bah!

I thought you cared.

:'(

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Sorry! I was going to start letting people cut for $50. Haha. They said we couldn't start lining up until 4:00, but I got there at probably 3:40, and there was already about 50 people in line.

We then headed back home to change and by the time we were heading out, it was raining pretty hard. When we got to the venue, nobody was wanting to wait outside because of the rain, so that helped us get in super fast and got us to the front.

So awesome. They'll be at Barclays this summer. You can catch it then!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    An excellent interview about why they formed Prophets of Rage and what they stand for.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Tape deck? It's 2016, not 1988 dude. DJ Lord has all the PE master tracks for triggering via his laptop, and just like when Public Enemy tours they have a live band for some parts but you can't replicate all the classic noises on those records. I imagine they made similar arrangements for the Cypress stuff, I haven't heard the audio link yet. It looks like a pretty exciting show regardless. I'm sad I won't be in town when they hit Toronto.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I held my phone in my hand and recorded for the last two songs the other night... The video actually turned out surprisingly well for how rowdy the crowd was. But I must have had my finger near the mic, and the sound is not the best.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    oh PLEASE. They started the "band" to capitalize off their hits and apparently attempt an arena tour (a tad too ballsy imo, but I'd imagine this is a co-headline with someone else big, and we just haven't seen who it is yet). I do not doubt for one second the members strong political beliefs and their anger with whats going with the presidential election etc. But let's not pretend we don't all know what's going on here. These musicians separately cannot tour the huge venues they now can together collectively. And the amount you can make once you leap to outdoor amphitheatres & arenas is monumental compared to a large club.

Hearing Chuck D try to do Zach verses is painful. Very painful. And I love Chuck D & P.E. in general. B-Real is closer to Zach, but does not have the anger necessary to sell those words.

I wonder how Zach feels about these dudes who he likes and respects going out and gettin' a hefty paycheck off his lyrics. Weird situation.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Regardless of their motivations... it's still a ton of fucking fun.

*shrug*

We all do shit for money.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    This article raises some good points: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...h-a-supergroup

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Muh-muh-muh communism isn't paying off so well it seems.

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music...s/201606180122

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Is that from poor ticket sales or is it unknown yet?...