Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    He just doesn't know when to stop, sometimes.
    Very true on the overboard live playing but he made my favorite Stones era, so I can't say much bad about him

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My husband the lead guitarist of 30+ years agrees.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just picked up The London Years--which is all of their singles (w/b-sides) from the 60s. Great stuff.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
    Very true on the overboard live playing but he made my favorite Stones era, so I can't say much bad about him
    I will never understand this. He played on some great tracks like "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", sure, but why does he get a pass for all that interminable heroin-soaked noodle-y shite on Goat's Head Soup & It's Only Rock n' Roll?

Anyway, he seems to have found his place in the band again; they let him play solos every night on "Midnight Rambler" and strum an acoustic on "Satisfaction", and it's great. Kind of like when the old-time country bands have a big fat guy come out and play fiddle for a couple of tracks, haha. He also helped with backups on Keith's solo number "Slipping Away" and I hope they continue that in Europe, Australia and New Zealand this year!
    Last edited by botley; 05-21-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Five days left until the tour starts up again...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I didn't get a chance to buy a ticket from Ticketmaster here in Spain,since their online service was unavailable for an entire day. But I got lucky last week and I'm in the process of buying one lateral ticket from someone that can't go,so I'm finally crossing the Stones off my list of bands to watch live.
    Now it's time to blast Forty Licks 24/7 even when it's college finals time.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    They're releasing the 1981 Pay-Per-View show from Hampton, Virginia as a deluxe physical set this year, and also the legendary 1975 L.A. Forum shows:

More vinyl/DVD sets for my collection!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Also on Standard Definition Blu-ray, too. Is the Virginia show where Keith nearly swings his Telecaster at some poor idiot who ran up on the stage?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Oh shit, cool. I hope they have some stories about that... inflatable penis.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ It's a middle finger.

Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Also on Standard Definition Blu-ray, too. Is the Virginia show where Keith nearly swings his Telecaster at some poor idiot who ran up on the stage?
    Not just swings at but makes contact. You can hear his Telecaster go *SPROINNNNG* in the middle of "Satisfaction" and start feeding back when it happens. They don't so much as miss a beat after that and the guitar didn't even go out of tune.

Rock and roll!

One of the L.A. '75 shows was already released on the Google Play store as an audio-only download. This new DVD version was recorded at the Saturday night of the same run. Here's the mini-doc that accompanied the previous release:

Last edited by botley; 04-05-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    No, it was penis because it shot confetti on top of it. Yeah, I know it doesn't look like one but it did get them some trouble.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    2015 ZIP CODE tour of North America starting in May, and Sticky Fingers deluxe reissue just announced! Think I'm going to make a trip to Quebec City this July...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Also just dropped $123 CAD on the Japanese import version of the Marquee Club '71 Vault release that includes The Brussels Affair '73 shows on CD. Dammit, it's fucking expensive being a fan of this band...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Now on iTunes:

All ten songs recorded at the Fonda theatre back in May!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I saw their KC show the other night and it was quite the show. The band was absolutely phenomenal. I'm only in my mid twenties, but watching Mick Jagger move around as much as he did made me feel old. My back would be killing me after a few minutes of those moves! It was great to finally say I've seen the Stones, though. The crowd on the other hand was horrible. At least in my section. It was full of so many old people trying to relive their youth, and were all WAY too drunk and being incredibly obnoxious. One dude behind me yelled "FUCK YEAH" probably a hundred times during the show, and spilled TWO beers on my girlfriend's Mom and didn't say anything about it. Then, one of the drunk ass old ladies in front of us would yell "FUCK ME" after every single time the other dude would yell "fuck yeah". So I just constantly heard a chorus of "FUCK YEAH", "FUCK ME!" all night. Then as we were leaving the show, I lost count of how many people were too fucked up to walk and were being carried out of the show by their friends. Jesus christ, people, get your shit together!

But the band's show was great and is totally worth it to catch it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Nice shot! Glad you liked the show... two weeks until I get to see them in Quebec...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    New Keith solo single — his first in twenty years! Full album (entitled Crosseyed Heart) to follow in September.

Here's the video. It's called "Trouble" and I love it!
    Last edited by botley; 08-23-2015 at 12:14 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Crosseyed Heart is out! KEEEEEEF

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I think the last Stones records were all awesome, whereas Mick's solo stuff is not to my tastes (except for a couple of tracks on Wandering Spirit). They appear to have been recording together again recently, so we'll see what comes of it. Ronnie says they did a couple of new tunes and then recorded a large batch of blues covers in the studio.

Looks like the next archival release from the band is going to be the first-ever home video version of the Stripped documentary from 1995, also being released as a box set with three complete '95 theatre gigs on DVD/Blu-ray and a highlights CD. Yummy! Stripped is one of my all-time favourite albums so this is very exciting news for me!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Totally Stripped is an unmitigated triumph. Possibly the best live recordings they have made in their career.

Also, congratulations to Ronnie Wood on the birth of his and Sally's twin babies!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    They are releasing the version with four standard-definition Blu-ray discs + 1CD in North America, and I believe that comes out on Friday. I have the Japanese version of the same thing, which throws in another CD (repeating tracks from the Blu-rays) and a reproduction T-shirt. Again, it's expensive being a superfan... but if you can get the version with the extra Blu-rays, it's worth it.
    Last edited by botley; 05-31-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Radiohead, The Velvet Underground, now the Rolling Stones "it never ends! I would like one month off" George Constanza, Seinfeld. Actually it does sound cool, I have always dug the Stripped album and to have a blu ray is even better. I'm not as hardcore as you @botley, I will buy one but I'm not buying the Japanese and North American. It does look cool.
    Definitely cool. The Japanese packaging is great, comes with almost a foil-esque reflective finish on the wraparound slipcase, and of course it includes a Japanese-language booklet I'll probably never be able to read.

Americans should be able to get the same material on DVD for under $100 via Amazon.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Two of the sweatiest, smelliest weeks of my life. Totally worth it. Might be nice to go revisit it in air-conditioned comfort.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    New 'bluesy' recording drops on Thursday.

Last edited by botley; 10-03-2016 at 07:35 AM.