Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Horrors

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

The Horrors

Never really dug them but I always felt they possessed something distinct...

Fast-forward to Skying...hellO CHANGE. I welcome thee. Really cool, though I'm still making focused rounds to fully familiarize myself with the record.

Probably go backwards afterward to see how I feel now.
    Last edited by Amaro; 02-27-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Primary Colours was an all right album. I want to like this band so much but they fail to grab my immediate attention. I know I could love them in some shape, form or light...might have to check out that new album you speak of.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You get bands who seem intelligent and who have a vast knowledge of music but who cant translate their passion for listening to music into their playing and records.
    They have a lot of good ideas and they work with the best people, Geoff Barrow, Chris Cunnigham and always seem to support the best bands in the world.
    But they are sort of like a good looking car with a broken engine. Something vital aint there.
    I agree i really want to like this band but to be honest i dont think they have really done anything memorable, that decent new or groundbreaking.

Primary Colours had its moments
    They seemed to leapfrog being a joke goth Cramps, Jesus and Mary Chain (without the songs) influenced band into a shoegaze electro type sound.
    For some reason in the England commercial music papers they are being placed on a real pedestal, art rock kings in 2012. blah blah blah.
    when you compare them to other acts with less attention, you wonder what the fuss is about.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Primary Colours was an all right album. I want to like this band so much but they fail to grab my immediate attention. I know I could love them in some shape, form or light...might have to check out that new album you speak of.
    You might have to. Nothing mindblowing, for me, but the songs simply feel good. It feels like a different band to me...obviously the singer will give it away, but I feel his voice stands out as more unique in this brighter musical backdrop.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I really like them i think they grew musically in the last album but my favorite one is still "Primary Colours", yet "Skying" it's a very interesting multi-layered album, i think they deserve all the hype they get and im looking forward for the fourth album, maybe a more "garage" style for this one just like the first?
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 09-13-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i tried not to fall asleep when i saw them open multiple nights in NYC for Trent & co.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Separated at birth?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    they wish!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    New single is really fucking great.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks. Holy shit nearly two years since the last post

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Luminous is now available to whoever wants it, if you know where to look.

Incredible album. Progresses on and bests Skying in nearly every single way. Surely never would have expected to hear the band that put out Strange House making, essentially, a The Cure/New Order vibey album. Hell, never would have thought it even after Primary Colours, but here we are, and The Horrors have never sounded better.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    New single is really fucking great.

I've never been 100% sold on this band, but this track is fucking ace.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    So yeah, after my first listen and I have to say Luminous is fucking amazing. Well worth the wait.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Had no idea these dudes had a new album coming out, but this new track is really cool. I love how this band constantly evolves it's sound.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    cannot wait for this new album, absolutely love the new single. listen to that intro with headphones! i've been wishing and praying for a long time that a full usa tour will happen. they did no proper tour whatsoever for luminous over here so there is a lot of ground to cover sonically, and show to the fans who haven't seen them since the skying era.

also, am i the only one who is super bummed that luminous didn't get the remix/covers box-set treatment akin to the higher box-set for skying? damn shame imho, and i would have loved to hear all of the sounds and textures of luminous torn apart!
    Last edited by hologram parade; 06-28-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I liked Primary Colours and Skying. Didn't care for Luminous at all, but I dig the more abrasive noisier sound on the new track, and the artwork is cool too. Will definitely give the album a spin

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    skying is the only album they've put out that i haven't really enjoyed, but it's fine. luminous is the weakest of the other three. new single sounds lovely. a little interpol-y in mood, which i'm digging a lot.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I guess it never got posted here, but I am absolutely in love with this song:

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Just found out about the new album and I am getting my first chance at listening to the songs that has come out....so excited!

*EDIT*

So "Something to Remember Me By" didnt really grab me but "Machine" is awesome....

Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 09-13-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    This is my favorite so far, but i really like "Something to remember me by", too.

I'm looking forward to the new album, "Luminous" didn't grab me, but i think this one will...

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Weighed Down didn't really grab me as much a Machine did, but after listening to the three released tracks I am still excited to get some new tunes from them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm really excited about this album, I like the new sound! It felt like Skying and Luminous were one and the same. I like them but not as much as the first two albums. Initially I hated strange house, now I love it for what it is (Was)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New album released today! I haven't gotten a chance to listen to it yet with work and all but I'm going to have a full listen tonight

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Machine is far and away the best song on the album. The rest is just...okay. I really hope it grows on me. The whole album's sound and vibe remind me more of mid 00's, like the second Bloc Party album, or something. Maybe I'll start connecting with the rest of the it once the initial disappointment about not getting The Horror's version of an Industrial album, getting a bunch of clubby dance tracks. Again, not bad, just not what I wanted, I think.

Can't complain though. I'd rather these dude keeps trying different sounds on every album instead of just constantly making Primary Colours over and over again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really like what I heard.. I got through the first 6 or so songs. I haven't fully formed an opinion or even listened to it all, but so far I dig it! I do love Machine, but I don't think the other songs are weak or ill fitting.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I'd rather these dude keeps trying different sounds on every album instead of just constantly making Primary Colours over and over again.
    Hmm. I think they keep making stuff along the lines of Skying (an album that I quite like), or in the current case it sounds even more like Luminous.

I was initially pretty meh on Luminous (I found some merit there while listening to it in anticipation to V), but V is just not cutting it for me. Pretty disappointed. I enjoy the songs they pre-released enough, and a bit at the top of the album, but I feel "tired" of the sound. Unfortunately, I guess they're just (still) a hit-or-miss for me.

Primary Colours
    is easily their strongest release to me. Great songwriting, and it flows incredibly. Such a satisfying listen.
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-23-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Went for a drive last night and listened to this again back to back at high volume, and I'm not as lukewarm on it now. I realized that the true MVP on this album is the bass. Rhys is basically the focal point of every song, and there are some really REALLY great rhythms on this album. Its an interesting album for sure. Upon my first listen I felt like it was just an "OK dance album", but there are a lot of subtleties going on here. And driving around a loud bright city on a Saturday night was the perfect element to compliment what they were going for here, I think.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Horrors are back, and now it's industrial:

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Track rules. I love how this band legit surprises me with every release. Every direction they take the music is the opposite of the direction I'm expecting them to take. Love it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The new EP is out and it's a damn shame this isn't a full length album. All three of these tracks give me very Further Down The Spiral vibes. The mixing even has such an early 90s industrial sound to it. Hopefully there's more material coming soon.