Page 17 of 94 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: The Muthafuckin' Sports Thread!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    RW3 VS RG3 first round of the playoffs!!!!!!! Hopefully it's a good game I am excited but nervous we struggle on the road but I hope we at least make it a game and we have a chance to win that is for sure. Both teams are coming in hot Deadskins winning something like what 7 in a row and the Hawks winning 5 so something has to give!!!!!!

It's time for another Golden Tate/ Russell Mania Miracle! Miracle at the Belt Way Fiscal Cliff Edition! Go Hawks!!!!!! 11-5 gotta be proud of that season, I told all my friends we would go 10-6 at the start of the season especially since I considered our post bye schedule extremely favorable.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Lockout over!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah and commence the generic bitching on my Facebook and Twitter feeds lol.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Yeah and commence the generic bitching on my Facebook and Twitter feeds lol.
    Generic bitching that they are glad that it's over or genertic bitching that they wanted the lockout to continue and are pissed off it has been resolved?

I fall in the latter category. can't stand hockey for what it's worth, lol!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Haha no just the expected horseshit. The 'it's too late!' and 'I don't care anymore!' yada yada type stuff that's expected of course to be all over every social media outlet for the next day...but seriously. For the past few months I've noticed more than ever how much social media brings out the herd mentality in people. I went to the NHL Facebook page and the announcement had like, 2100+ comments and I thought 'please let me just see anything different from the other generic comments' (like I just mentioned). Nope.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So happy we'll get some hockey. Habs better sign Subban ASAP. Can't wait to see Galchenyuk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hawks!!!! Our first road playoff victory since 1983! Hotlanta you next!

RG3's final moment in the game looked nasty hope the dude is okay he killed us the first quarter but wasn't the same after. Still you play to win the game (Herm Edwards voice). Anyways happy for my Hawks!!!!!!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

The Muthafuckin' Sports Thread!

Hell yeah, another hawks fan!

Man, I almost became worried after the seeing what went down in the 1st but the hawks quickly got back on their feet and got things rolling.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Haha no just the expected horseshit. The 'it's too late!' and 'I don't care anymore!' yada yada type stuff that's expected of course to be all over every social media outlet for the next day...but seriously. For the past few months I've noticed more than ever how much social media brings out the herd mentality in people. I went to the NHL Facebook page and the announcement had like, 2100+ comments and I thought 'please let me just see anything different from the other generic comments' (like I just mentioned). Nope.
    Well, yeah, the only reason I even found out was I woke up and my facebook feed was flooded with "NHL is back!!" and a bunch of people giving in their 2 cents. But, even then so, I have 1 friend that was bitching about Gary Bettman and all these big wig hockey execs everyday for the last 6 months. When he first announced the possibility of a hockey lockout in August I jumped for fucking joy, and I was like "phew, Shawn isn't going to post about hockey for a whole year.... thank god!" But boy, boy, boy was I ever WRONG! instead of updates about hockey scores and team and player stats it was "fuck you Gary bettman" and "give me my goddamn hockey" it's like... c'mon man, give it a rest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm just happy that the lock-out is over, because I now can go back to work instead of trying to find a REAL job. I miss telling people what to do. And watching nothing but NFL & B-Ball on Sportscentre is bringing me down. Maybe now my psoriasis will clear up from the upcoming lack of stress.

#gojetsgo

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Do you work for the Jets?

Knowing that we we are less than 2 weeks away from an NHL season is a good feeling. Though cancelling the first half of the season is still a MAJOR blemish on the league.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

^^^
    Isn't it past the point of being a blemish now? How many times have the NHL had a lockout?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Though cancelling the first half of the season is still a MAJOR blemish on the league.
    Not really. The NHL schedule is bloated anyways, and it's certainly better than a full cancellation like before. By playoff time nobody will even care that there was a lockout.

It seems like lockouts are commonplace in U.S sports now. Greedy owners and unions fighting for as much revenue as possible because they know fans will buy their product anyways.
    Last edited by Presideo; 01-07-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I will care. I remember the last 2 lockouts and feel like it is a big blemish on the league. What other major sports league has cancelled games? I love hockey. I love the NHL. I can move past this. But this is a dark part of the history of the NHL. Glad the season is gonna continue but I'm not going to pretend the last 4 months haven't existed.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The whole mess just shows how major league sports is WAY too much about $$$$ and not nearly enough about sports. The players are just as, if not more, guilty. Too much greed all the way around.

Glad we will actually get a hockey season this year! I didn't really miss it, though, oddly enough. Presideo is right: been too bloated for years. I say get rid of all but the Original Six!!!!

:-)
    Last edited by allegro; 01-08-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Ya I'm super jacked to have hockey back. I was in the camp of just cancel the season, fuck it, I'd come back in October, as I was enjoying following the NBA a little closer than I normally would. But now that its here, it's incredibly exciting. Especially if the Leafs can bring in Luongo. I haven't seen the playoffs in almost 10 years so anything to make that happen is fine by me. Either way, the condensed schedule is going to be intense. I look forward to seeing some of our young guys; Frattin, Kadri, Gardiner, & Reilly log some quality minutes and start to take control of this team. The younger and faster you are this season the better off you will be down the stretch.

As far as the NHL goes, it would never happen but I would contract 8 teams. Move 2 to different markets, and have 2 expansion teams. Go with 24 teams, almost all in healthy markets, and the revenue sharing would be through the roof.

Northern Conference
    Toronto
    GTA 2
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Quebec City
    Boston
    Hartford (Canes)
    Buffalo

Eastern Conference
    New York
    Brooklyn (Isles)
    New Jersey
    Philadelphia
    Pittsburgh
    Washington
    Chicago
    Detroit

Western Conference
    Vancouver
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Winnipeg
    Colorado
    Minnesota
    Los Angeles
    San Jose

Each conference winner is seeded 1 through 3, and seed the remaining 13 teams in order of points, March Madness style (1v16, 2v15, etc). The playoff battles would be crazy.

In any case, can't wait to wash the World Juniors taste of defeat out of my mouth. GO LEAFS GO

Last edited by AgentofChaos; 01-11-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Do you work for the Jets?
    Not exactly. I'm the main 'Conversion Supervisor' at the MTS Centre. I supervise the local crews who convert from hockey to concerts/events & back. I work for an outside company that provides contract labor & stagehands, instead of the union (IATSE). Don't hate me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereo75 View Post
    Not exactly. I'm the main 'Conversion Supervisor' at the MTS Centre. I supervise the local crews who convert from hockey to concerts/events & back. I work for an outside company that provides contract labor & stagehands, instead of the union (IATSE). Don't hate me.
    Oh well that's pretty neat haha. No hate here. Sounds like a pretty cool job.

Apparently Brian Burke has just been fired by the Maple Leafs.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Yeah! Burke out! Timing is quite odd but then again, we're dealing with the Leafs here.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Maybe his failure to land Luongo was the last straw? Let's see what Nonis' first big move is...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rumor has it that the Sacramento Kings have been sold to the Seattle based group for $500 million and expect the team to be in the city by next season. Still a developing story.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Hockey? Yes!!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    What other major sports league has cancelled games?
    The NBA cancelled about two months worth of games last year and the MLB cancelled their entire postseason in the 90's due to a players strike. Don't get me wrong, NHL fans certainly have a reason to be upset. But considering they got away with cancelling an entire season without any severe effects, cancelling a few regular season games seems (almost) like a good thing in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Tums206_BFY View Post
    Rumor has it that the Sacramento Kings have been sold to the Seattle based group for $500 million and expect the team to be in the city by next season. Still a developing story.
    Good - Seattle fans deserve another team, and Sacramento fans still have a franchise nearby that they can support (I assume Sacramento is a stones throw from Oakland)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Manti Te'o.

Creep or just one dumb motherfucker?

Im going with Creep

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Manti Te'o.

Creep or just one dumb motherfucker?

Im going with Creep
    I go with both. I don't believe one bit that he didn't know what was going on. Btw the DeadSpin investigative report on this story is excellent. Just bizarre man....

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tums206_BFY View Post
    I go with both. I don't believe one bit that he didn't know what was going on. Btw the DeadSpin investigative report on this story is excellent. Just bizarre man....
    I only heard a piece of this on sports radio yesterday. How do you have a three year relationship when you never talked to or saw the person? i dun git it.

Annnnnd, hockey is starting. I'm so sick of hearing that The Bruins are going to win because it's essentially the same, a lot of them have been playing in Europe blah blah blah. No, really, they are going to look like sloppy old 1970's hockey players for at least a month or two, then it'll be spring and I won't give a crap about hockey, but it'll drag on until the end of June.

I'm really quite annoyed at the league.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Is it wrong that this is the first thing at came into my mind when I heard about this Manti Te'o thing:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    They should have just let them train for a couple months and then had a replay of last year's playoffs right from the start with the same teams involved. Whoever wins the Stanley Cup this year isn't going to be remembered.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    False. Nobody looks back on the Devils cup in 95 as anything but legit. Ditto for the Heat as recent as last year. A ship is a ship, plain and simple. At the end of the day it's still a fucking grind to the last man standing. This season will be no different.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Predictions anyone??

East
    1. New York Rangers
    2. Boston Bruins
    3. Carolina Hurricanes
    4. Pittsburgh Penguins
    5. Philadelphia Flyers
    6. Washington Capitals
    7. Buffalo Sabres
    8. Ottawa Senators

9. New Jersey Devils
    10. Florida Panthers
    11. Tampa Bay Lightning
    12. New York Islanders
    13. Montreal Canadiens
    14. Winnepeg Jets
    15. Toronto Maple Leafs

West
    1. St. Louis Blues
    2. Los Angeles Kings
    3. Vancouver Canucks
    4. Detroit Red Wings
    5. Nashville Predators
    6. San Jose Sharks
    7. Chicago Blackhawks
    8. Edmonton Oilers

9. Phoenix Coyotes
    10. Minnesota Wild
    11. Dallas Stars
    12. Colorado Avalanche
    13. Anaheim Ducks
    14. Calgary Flames
    15. Columbus Blue Jackets

Going to be a mad dash to the playoffs...but I still think the better teams rise to the top and the bad ones sink to the bottom. Rangers and Penguins will have the best records in the East. I like the Rangers just a little bit more since they have stable goaltending. Bruins shouldn't have a problem winning their division, even with Rask. Hurricanes will win their division. I think the Capitals will struggle at first with yet another new coach but they will still make the playoffs. I have the Devils at 9 but somehow they will probably still make it in even with the loss of Parise. Stamkos will probably notch the most goals again but the Lightning have too many holes.

Blues will be the best team in the West and they will be the most frustrating team to play. Kings shouldn't have any Cup hangover problems. Canucks will easily win the Northwest, even if they have goaltender controversy. Red Wings will still be good without Lidstrom and I would bet they'll make a trade for a D-man. Predators will be fine even without Suter, though I don't think Weber puts up insane numbers like he usually does. Sharks, Hawks, Oilers, Coyotes, Wild and Stars all in the playoff race for the last 3 spots in the last week of the season. Avalanche just aren't there yet. Ducks...nope. Selanne still does great though. Blue Jackets finish with the worst record in the league again and still get screwed out of the #1 pick in the draft.