Thread: The Muthafuckin' Sports Thread!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

insane timing.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    There's something in the air this year with the Cowboys.
    It's been a LONG time.
    I haven't seen people this excited about the Cowboys in, shit...since Romo debuted.

That being said, we have a fairly rough history of good seasons leading to embarrassing upsets in the playoffs: this also applies to the Mavs, who once blew a
    2-0 finals lead, and also had a historic regular season before losing to the 8th seed in the first round.

But there's just this buzz around Dallas. We might fuck around and lose today, but we also certainly might NOT.

At least we aren't playing Tampa Bay and the Tom Brady android/clone thing this first round.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-16-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It's been a LONG time.
    I haven't seen people this excited about the Cowboys in, shit...since Romo debuted.

That being said, we have a fairly rough history of good seasons leading to embarrassing upsets in the playoffs: this also applies to the Mavs, who once blew a
    2-0 finals lead, and also had a historic regular season before losing to the 8th seed in the first round.

But there's just this buzz around Dallas. We might fuck around and lose today, but we also certainly might NOT.

At least we aren't playing Tampa Bay and the Tom Brady android/clone thing this first round.
    You know i'm not a Cowboys fan, but i'm excited for today's game, as you posted it feels like 1992, i remember the duels between Joe Montana and Troy Aikman!!!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    You know i'm not a Cowboys fan, but i'm excited for today's game, as you posted it feels like 1992, i remember the duels between Joe Montana and Troy Aikman!!!
    Hell yes.

I've gotta rep my city, but TBH, there are years that I don't watch many Cowboys games, because, you know, they suck sometimes (even though I have two Cowboys hats, and a DALLAS VS EVERYONE shirt with a cowboys color scheme.)

I have an easier time watching Mavericks basketball, because there are SO many games, and they HAVE been to the finals twice in this millennium- plus, Luka is incredible.

But, yeah man. THIS old rivalry sure brings back memories, and I'm excited.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    It's been a LONG time.

That smell is the 49ers stomping some Cowpies, haha!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    That smell is the 49ers stomping some Cowpies, haha!
    Aren't you supposed to be a Seattle fan? :P

That's ANOTHER hard thing about being a Cowboys fan.

There are SO many haters.

A LOT of people FROM DALLAS are hardcore Eagles and Niners fans.

I once had a Boston to Dallas transplant angrily grill ME over the "America's Team" bullshit, as if I'd come up with it.

I thought he was gonna hit me, seriously.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-16-2022 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Playoffs have been ho hum so far except the Raiders game. The Raiders got totally screwed by the officials. They did well this year when they should've crashed & burned with all the stuff going on around the team. They have some interesting decisions to make now. I like Mark Davis, his old man would be proud. He totally took the league & the big players in Vegas to the cleaners when they thought he was a doofus with a bad haircut. & he's carrying on with the family tradition of needling the league whenever possible. The NFL needs that. I saw today the so called experts are trying to engineer of Russell Wilson out of Seattle already. Wilson says he wants to play here. Same thing is going on with the Trailblazers & Damian Lillard. Dame likes it in Portland. He's king of the world down there. There's been a few rumours about the Memphis Grizzlies being sold to big money in Seattle. Bring it on! Would love to see Ja Morant here. I don't think the NBA can really function well in small markets for the most part. The money has gotten ridiculous. I bet most places you're pushing $100 to sit in the rafters. I used to have Sonic season tickets. I had a seat in the front row of the upper deck behind the basket for $10 a game. Those days are long gone!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Aren't you supposed to be a Seattle fan?
    Yes but I have a buddy in the Bay Area. I really don't care for the Cowboys. The Stephen A Smith school of football fan, haha. Since the Seahawks are out I'm a free agent fan. I think the SF/DAL game might be the only good game of the day. The Monday night game should be good, too.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    DAMN @chuckrh , I didn't know you were such a big sports fan.
    I certainly know about being a free agent fan. It used to be Mavs, then Spurs or Rockets, then Lakers
    When DAL swept LAL in 2011, though, I sobbed. I didn't CARE about the finals. That was enough. And then we DID beat the heat, and 2-3 hundred thousand people came out to grimy ass downtown Dallas in PEACE for the parade (edit: dallas is one of those cities where downtown is fucking dangerous,) and it was just...yeah. Dirk sang We Are The Champions, horribly. That was one of the happiest times of my life.

I was raised on basketball. I was a toddler going to local west Texas college games, and when we moved to Dallas, we went to watch the godawful mavericks regularly and watched every game religiously on TV (I'm talking single digit age for me.)

With football, come playoff time, I just love seeing the badass QBs play, to be honest. I'm not into football as much as I am basketball.

Man, speaking of cheap seats, it was SO badass when Mark Cuban got hold of the Mavs. No one was going to the games, so he pulled stunts like offering $5 tickets.

And they built a light rail stop right in front of the arena. It was a LOT of fun.

My brother still gets Nuggets tickets for cheap; he uses these marketplaces where he gets tickets for 10 or 12 dollars, last minute: they might not be great, but at least you're there.

So, yeah. I halfway EXPECT to get my heart broken by the Cowboys today.

But, I think we can do it.

Cuban barely gave interviews during the Mavs 2011 playoff run, except to say "we believe."

Also, man...you've got a friend who was bred and fed in the Triple D, so don't be TOO sad if dem boys run it up the niners' collective asshole this afternoon.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-16-2022 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Nah, i think the Cowboys win today, but i wouldn't count on them arriving to the Superbowl (probably it will be Green Bay VS Kansas City...)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Nah, i think the Cowboys win today, but i wouldn't count on them arriving to the Superbowl (probably it will be Green Bay VS Kansas City...)
    Idk. The Niners are mopping the floor with us.

Number one defense. Most expensive team in the league.

And yet,

Yeah.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Holy jesus. Is that SIX or SEVEN pre-snap penalties on dallas?
    I swear to god it looks like they're throwing the game.
    We're turning it off.
    This is only the third Cowboys game I've watched this year; I'm used to heartbreak on the football front.
    (edit: more penalties than DAL has ever had in a playoff game, EVER- ALL of them blatant and ridiculous.)

Edit again: are we SURE Dallas didn't throw that game? Did you guys see the end: Dak giving the ball to the center instead of the ref in 20 yard range?

At least the team from my tiny ancestral and current town of 1900 people won the state championship in that same stadium a few weeks ago, beating out hundreds of contenders.
    Oddly enough, now I wanna see the Niners beat Tampa Bay.

Meh. When's the next mavs game?
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-16-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    well, at least it seems Kansas City will win. (I hate the Steelers...)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    well, at least it seems Kansas City will win. (I hate the Steelers...)
    KC is fun to watch.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    KC is fun to watch.
    Yes, Patrick Mahomes is a great QB, only annoying thing about him is his family, lol

I found most of the wildcard games a bit boring, but tomorrow's game sounds like an exciting one!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    BUF vs KC should be a game for the ages. If the weather is at least semi decent bet the over!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Man, The Cardinals got totally humiliated...

I'm excited for the Bills vs Chiefs game, too, i also hope the Rams eliminate Tampa, i don't want another Superbowl with Brady...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Arizona was disappointing last night. I guess having Hopkins go down was a fatal blow for the season. Half the teams left on the NFC side are from the NFC West. It's a tough division. I actually like Brady more now than I did but I guess I'm pulling for SF to do some upsetting. Most likely is TB/GB for the NFC & KC/TEN on the AFC side. Having the first round bye is crucial. If Derick Henry comes back at even 80% it will be huge. Next weekend should be better than this one was. Stephen A Smith was hilarious yesterday. He really dislikes the Dallas fans, haha. We know one good one ( @elevenism ) but it gets pretty thin after that.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Arizona was disappointing last night. I guess having Hopkins go down was a fatal blow for the season. Half the teams left on the NFC side are from the NFC West. It's a tough division. I actually like Brady more now than I did but I guess I'm pulling for SF to do some upsetting. Most likely is TB/GB for the NFC & KC/TEN on the AFC side. Having the first round bye is crucial. If Derick Henry comes back at even 80% it will be huge. Next weekend should be better than this one was. Stephen A Smith was hilarious yesterday. He really dislikes the Dallas fans, haha. We know one good one ( @elevenism ) but it gets pretty thin after that.
    A LOT of Dallas fans know the Cowboys usually suck-its just that they're the home team. My wife had NO illusions that they'd beat the Niners, for instance. It's just being loyal to the city for a lot of us: hell, i've met MANY people from Dallas with Cowboys TATTOOS who aren't even really into football.
    It's like being a Cubs fan. What makes it worse, though, is that every so often, the Cowboys actually start looking like they MIGHT do something, and then blow it.

I'm with you on seeing more SF upsets.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    A LOT of Dallas fans know the Cowboys usually suck-its just that they're the home team. My wife had NO illusions that they'd beat the Niners, for instance. It's just being loyal to the city for a lot of us: hell, i've met MANY people from Dallas with Cowboys TATTOOS who aren't even really into football.
    It's like being a Cubs fan. What makes it worse, though, is that every so often, the Cowboys actually start looking like they MIGHT do something, and then blow it.

I'm with you on seeing more SF upsets.
    I don't see it, the Cubs were until 2016 the poster team for pulling failure from the jaws of victory.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I don't see it, the Cubs were until 2016 the poster team for pulling failure from the jaws of victory.
    Ah. Forgive me. I don't really know baseball. I've just had a general awareness, from pop culture, that the cubs were bad, but beloved due to hometown loyalty.

Replace that with the name of any team that fits that description: Lions maybe? Browns?
    I shouldn't speak on baseball. I watched the rangers in the Nolan Ryan days because I thought I was supposed to, but eventually realized that I just don't like it.

This might illustrate what I'm saying about the Cowboys: if you strike up a conversation with a person in a Cowboys shirt, there's a good chance that they'll say "yeaaah, I'm a fan, but they aren't gonna do shit this year."
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-19-2022 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    But the Cubbies were cursed by the Billy Goat. The Cubs are beloved nationwide. The Cubbies sell out EVERY FUCKING GAME, every year, even in their WORST years. Because Cubs fans are REALLY devoted, not fair weather.

(Remember, Chicago has TWO baseball teams. And Cubs and Sox fans hate each other.)

I see some of what @elevenism says about Cowboys fans at Cubs games, too. DRUNK DRUNK DRUNK DRUNK DRUNK and not watching game, just there to party, etc.

@elevenism : G says: “I blame McCarthy for the loss, lack of team discipline, he was overrated for Green Bay and only Aaron Rogers made him look good. As bad as the Cowboys played, they only lost by 6 points. SF played bad, too.”

This might illustrate what I'm saying about the Cowboys: if you strike up a conversation with a person in a Cowboys shirt, there's a good chance that they'll say "yeaaah, I'm a fan, but they aren't gonna do shit this year."
    Omg yeah that describes Blackhawks fans. Including my husband! Until the Hawks finally won the Cup in 2010, they were the longest team in the Original Six to go without a Stanley Cup. We called them the Suck Cup winners. Last time they’d won a Cup was in ‘61.

Bears fans say the same thing, really. Last time they won a Super Bowl was in ‘85.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-21-2022 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Derrick Henry is a baaaad man!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Derrick Henry is a baaaad man!
    Damn, i didn't see that coming!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My Packers-hating Chicago husband is running around the house scaring the cats, yelling “GREEN BAY LOST! THAT MOTHER FUCKER ANTI-VAXER RODGERS GREEN BAY MOTHER FUCKER LOST! I’M OPENING THE CHAMPAGNE!!!”

We have San Francisco friends who are losing their shit right now LOL.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-22-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I'm glad that Karen Rodgers lost!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I absolutely despise football but that antivax piece of shit losing brings me great joy.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I absolutely despise football but that antivax piece of shit losing brings me great joy.
    Do you like sports at all?

I'm a casual football fan, but I LOVE basketball.

I've also been known to wear an american flag as a cape at the bar at 6am, when the US made it into the round of eight in the World Cup.

Edit: this was when the flag meant something different than Donald Trump

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Two words:

Winter Olympics

I cannot wait!!

I got my big ass TV, I am READY!!