Thread: Trent Reznor Writing Theme Song for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Trent Reznor Writing Theme Song for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/0...-black-ops-ii/

I'll be very interested to see what he cooks up for COD

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I can't tell if this means he's writing a piece of music or an actual *song*. It doesn't appear to be NIN or TRAR at any rate

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Erm..well @ninwiki linked to Usatoday for the interview. Looks like it's just TR.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Yes, but PHM was also just TR - to my memory, he's never released an actual song as Trent Reznor, but that's not saying he won't.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    He released those Lost Highway tracks as Trent Reznor. And he performed at the Bridge School Benefit in 2006 under his name too.

Anyway, curious to see how this comes out. Still not really interested in the game though...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Yes but Lost Highway were instrumental - to me, songs are sung. And whilst BSB was released as TR, those were still NIN.

I'll be buying the individual track (or torrenting it if it's not made available without buying the game), but I'm with you Wretchedest, no matter how good the music, COD doesn't draw me in in the slightest.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm torn. I don't normally like these types of games, but given my obsession with TR's music...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Looking forward to the hardcore collectors buying 20 different versions of a CoD game, assuming the only physical release of the music is on the game disc itself.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I'm torn. I don't normally like these types of games, but given my obsession with TR's music...
    qft; I just saw a commercial for this the other day and rolled my eyes, now I feel compelled to care.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Hey, remember this?

http://kotaku.com/5203913/nine-inch-...ce-upon-a-time

"Well, it costs so much to make a game, we're really only interested in sequels or movie tie-ins," Reznor was told.

"I think a lot of the big publishers have gone the route of record labels and movie companies where it costs so much to make a game and they're so obsessed with the idea that games have to be cinematic experiences. Lots of money gets spent on the marketing and the rendering, and not a lot of money gets puts into anything innovative and interesting."

I dunno about you guys, but when I think sequels with cinematic experiences, low innovation and lots of marketing money, I think Call of Duty. Everything since Modern Warfare 2 has been sort of a rehash, hasn't it?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post

"Well, it costs so much to make a game, we're really only interested in sequels or movie tie-ins," Reznor was told.

"I think a lot of the big publishers have gone the route of record labels and movie companies where it costs so much to make a game and they're so obsessed with the idea that games have to be cinematic experiences. Lots of money gets spent on the marketing and the rendering, and not a lot of money gets puts into anything innovative and interesting."

I dunno about you guys, but when I think sequels with cinematic experiences, low innovation and lots of marketing money, I think Call of Duty. Everything since Modern Warfare 2 has been sort of a rehash, hasn't it?
    Same with this quote in a 2009 interview with Joystiq

"Would I do music for an everyday game? Meh. I'm not thrilled about the idea, but if someone cool came to me and had this great game, then I'd consider it."

I definitely would have thought a game franchise like Call of Duty would be beneath him, i mean to me that's an "everyday game" but i guess not when there's money involved.....

People change their minds over time i guess, it just seems kind of odd in this situation....

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Same with this quote in a 2009 interview with Joystiq

"Would I do music for an everyday game? Meh. I'm not thrilled about the idea, but if someone cool came to me and had this great game, then I'd consider it."

I definitely would have thought a game franchise like Call of Duty would be beneath him, i mean to me that's an "everyday game" but i guess not when there's money involved.....

People change their minds over time i guess, it just seems kind of odd in this situation....

Thanks, that was the other quote I was looking for.

Yeah, I would sooner expect him to get involved with something "fresh" like Portal, rather than with a franchise on its... ninth iteration?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Thanks, that was the other quote I was looking for.

Yeah, I would sooner expect him to get involved with something "fresh" like Portal, rather than with a franchise on its... ninth iteration?
    portal is hardly fresh

reznor goes out of his way to say in the interview that doing this was doing the biggest sort of franchise-type game there is out there; I could see why you might turn down your more normal "blockbusters," but this is sort of the biggest of the big. and its not like his history ignores this... Quake and Doom3 were sort of the CoD of their times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    portal is hardly fresh

reznor goes out of his way to say in the interview that doing this was doing the biggest sort of franchise-type game there is out there; I could see why you might turn down your more normal "blockbusters," but this is sort of the biggest of the big. and its not like his history ignores this... Quake and Doom3 were sort of the CoD of their times.
    Portal is definitely not "fresh" but there's so much there in terms of entertainment and storyline. It's hilarious, fun, challenging, engaging - and it's not the same game with a different map every time...

However, playing Devil's Advocate here - I'm sure there are some people that really enjoy this particular style of game. I'd imagine it'd be like me enjoying Mario Kart and buying each subsequent sequel, where the only thing that has changed is the map choice and some of the weapons. There just seems to be this horrible stereotype surrounding Call of Duty because of the people who *generally* play it...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    just to point out they released a new trailer too which has a few very Reznor-esque notes (an a lot of Inception style blaring noise)
    http://kotaku.com/5924817/say-hi-to-...ps-2s-bad-guys

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It does sound very Reznor-y. And actually good.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    Portal is definitely not "fresh" but there's so much there in terms of entertainment and storyline. It's hilarious, fun, challenging, engaging - and it's not the same game with a different map every time...

However, playing Devil's Advocate here - I'm sure there are some people that really enjoy this particular style of game. I'd imagine it'd be like me enjoying Mario Kart and buying each subsequent sequel, where the only thing that has changed is the map choice and some of the weapons. There just seems to be this horrible stereotype surrounding Call of Duty because of the people who *generally* play it...
    I mean, I don't really care for either of these games (Portal or CoD) (more of a Skyrim guy, myself), so I think your devil's advocate is actually spot on... and, like, wait a minute, what the hell is wrong with us? the guy we like enough to talk on a message board ABOUT is now doing the theme to the biggest videogame series in history? what an amazing achievement.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    "The biggest videogame series in history?"

Dude, he's not writing the theme for Super Mario Brothers 4 or something.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    "The biggest videogame series in history?"

Dude, he's not writing the theme for Super Mario Brothers 4 or something.
    ha, but what I wouldn't give for that.

maybe what I said was a bit of hyperbole, but I had just read this list yesterday which is why I said that:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/here-...me-2012-6?op=1

#s 10, 8, and 2. And #1 is sort of not applicable, since its a subscriber game.

Edit: just to clear this up, I was just sort of expressing a sentiment about the game's success, which I think is undeniable. I'm certainly not making any claim as to the cultural staying power of these games or any broader ramifications. just sort of head-checking my own contrary impulses.
    Last edited by screwdriver; 07-10-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Oh Trent, why did you have to go for the dudebro crowd?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trent is trending on Twitter. That's kinda cool.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Oh Trent, why did you have to go for the dudebro crowd?
    I appreciate your (deliberate?) irony in complaining about the dudebro crowd two posts after calling me "dude," bro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Song will invariably be ripped or released. Buy that. Fuck the COD bullshit game. "May Contain Content Inappropriate For People Who Like Innovation".

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I for one was already looking forward to this, its too bad he couldnt have scored the entire game, but understandable though after reading the interview. Plus im sure hes balls deep in the score for The Girl Who Played With Fire with AR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Plus im sure hes balls deep in the score for The Girl Who Played With Fire with AR
    What are you on about? I've not even heard that this film is happening, let alone with Fincher as director, which I assume is the only way TR&AR would score it.

As for COD, I think this is the right game for him to be involved with. Treyarch is really trying to push in a new direction, though most of you don't seem to have any idea about that. I'm a big COD player and Treyarch is definitely the better company in the series. Their approach to this next game is also one that I feel will benefit from having Reznor make the theme. I'm excited.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I for one was already looking forward to this, its too bad he couldnt have scored the entire game, but understandable though after reading the interview. Plus im sure hes balls deep in the score for The Girl Who Played With Fire with AR
    Yeah, no. TRAR aren't confirmed for it, AR is still doing 47 Ronin I think (not to mention other stuff that he's started).

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    COD is basically the worst video game franchise currently going.

I mean, it's literally the last game I would have ever hoped for Trent to be a part of, but whatever.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Eh, let the man pad his children's college funds. We'll get something cool to listen to in any case.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Well damn, I would have thought the college funds would be covered by now, what with being a big-selling artist with years of successful touring, not to mention recently scoring two major hollywood films. What the fuck kinda school is he planning to send them to?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    You guys are whining about as hard as the people who actually play the games and constantly get owned.