Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Trent Reznor Writing Theme Song for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I dig it. Moody, atmospheric, tense, uncomfortable -- all the things that I love about Trent's music. Even for what it is, it's a pretty solid track. Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not ground breaking, but that sound is the reason I fell in love with NIN in the first place, so I'm not complaining.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    It does go somewhere though. The industrial opening gradually ramps up, with the graded inclusion of orchestral backing (choral? I can't quite tell), a keyboard melody and various other elements until it reaches a crescendo - at which point it transitions, the screams gradually recede, and we're left with moody eeriness to contemplate throughout the remainder. That track charts one hell of an instrumental journey, and in my opinion it's something very special.

BO2 theme, though... I'll need to listen a bit more before I form a proper opinion, but my first impression is similar to Sheepdean's. It certainly hasn't blown me away like the Tetsuo theme did (which I still think is one of the very most amazing things Trent's ever done).
    Just for the record - I love the Quake theme and soundtrack - but I just was commenting on the whole issue of 'cohesiveness' in reply to sheepdean. I don't think music even has to have a point to be great (i actually like Rush too!)

The COD theme is really growing on me actually. (I'm listening to it in lieu of the HTDA which I'm waiting for the quality FLAC sound files I pre-ordered to be available.) On first listen for example, when the drums came in they sounded really slow, like they should be faster - but I don't mind that now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For those who haven't found it on YouTube yet and before it gets taken down:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The orchestral mix is earth-shaking. Go get it! Available on itunes for .99.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just got home with my Hardened Edition and im sad to report it is just download code for the soundtrack, and its only a 256k mp3

Anybody going to get the actual disc?

I like this theme, its got some elements that arent really TR, but the little piano hook throughout is cool, and im feeling the drum treatment

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I totally forgot this was officially released today. Oops.

Bought both versions from iTunes just now. I like it a bit more now that I'm hearing the high quality version.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Holy shit, this is AMAZING!! Trent still has it in him. This blows that Rubbish An Omen_ out of the water!

I'm writing this as I'm listening to the track as well. It's rare to be this impressed before the first listen is even over, but this is goooood!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    2 dollars spent. yeah

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is so much better, having listened to the bought version from iTunes - the YouTube rip starts at totally the wrong place and ruins the build up. It kind of introduces different elements at various points, like the drums, builds up several times and brings all the elements together in the final climax - great stuff

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    download done; both tracks...just played on my stereo.
    took me by my throat.
    some people here do not realize how lucky they are knowing an artist like trent.
    now preparing to hunt for acetate cd-r promo's

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wanted to buy it but stupid amazon still doesn't sell mp3 to Russia goddamn it! what should I doooo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Working at a video game shop over Christmas, had to go in for the midnight launch of COD last night. Wasn't a fun experience; COD fans are dumb, ignorant, abusive pricks for the most part. Still, the shop had the theme playing on loop which sounded epic on decent speakers, so every cloud...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidpolly View Post
    I wanted to buy it but stupid amazon still doesn't sell mp3 to Russia goddamn it! what should I doooo.
    ahh... i was approached today to provide help in acquiring this. i'm not spending $40 on the special edition of game right away. what are other legal ways?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Full version of theme song:
    Orchestral Mix:

also: I can give the track files.
    Last edited by Q-NeilL; 11-13-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    ahh... i was approached today to provide help in acquiring this. i'm not spending $40 on the special edition of game right away. what are other legal ways?
    honestly no idea. I found it on rutracker and downloaded without any hesitation. if amazon is moronic like that they just won't have my money. and if I want to pay Trent I can always buy another download of HTDA

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm with that logic, if a company isn't making something available in your country, then piracy is your only option anyway.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/...y-black-ops-2/

In case anyone missed it. I loved the end of the interview where the interviewer brings up all these contradictions and Trent waves them away with "I don't give a shit about the game when it comes right down to it." Classic.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Sounds nice. I could never get into these games...or any video game post Playstation 2 really..by the time the Playstation 3 came out I basically stopped playing video games aside from a couple Wii titles here and there.

I like the theme though.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Purchased the hardened edition just for the soundtrack. anybody else ?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    Purchased the hardened edition just for the soundtrack. anybody else ?
    How did you feel when you realized it was a digital download and not a physical CD?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Trent Reznor Writing Theme Song for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Yes on hardened edition. Edit: order got cancelled - and finding out it was a DL anyway, not too upset about that

This track reminds me of a ton of things (in a good way) including the music from Escape From New York. maybe it's just an action movie vibe, which I'm sure is intentional.
    Last edited by Andrew; 11-14-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I was a bit disappointed, But then again, I planned on getting the game anyway. Since I work at best-buy, I didn't really spend all that much money more than i would have a regular edition.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Now this I can get behind. Between this and what he did for Tetsuo, I have faith that the new NIN record will be quite awesome.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow. That made me feel like I was listening to a song that didn't make it to the fragile. Gives me hope that their will be a new nin album that can be as deep and layered as his previous work

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo33 View Post
    Now this I can get behind. Between this and what he did for Tetsuo, I have faith that the new NIN record will be quite awesome.
    Is there such a thing forthcoming?

But yes, this is fantastic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbookpress1984 View Post
    Is there such a thing forthcoming?

But yes, this is fantastic
    Indeed there is. Atleast, Trents stated that new NIN is in the works, it's a pretty safe assumption that its gonna be an album. The most recent interview where its mentioned is here http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-tour-20121107

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    Wow. That made me feel like I was listening to a song that didn't make it to the fragile. Gives me hope that their will be a new nin album that can be as deep and layered as his previous work
    Agreed! As I have mentioned elsewhere, I hope that a new Nine Inch Nails album can sound as dense and layered as this song does. I would hate where HTDA is a band where he feels he can experiment with different sounds and ideas and NIN is where he wants to "play it safe".

We'll see though..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is very good, although can somebody please come up with a cool fan name for it so I don't have to listen to a song called "Theme for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2"

The piano part that comes in at 3:19 is pretty reminiscent of the melody heard in The Great Below & And All That Could Have Been. It's not the same, but its similar enough. Nice work.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    This is very good, although can somebody please come up with a cool fan name for it so I don't have to listen to a song called "Theme for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2"

“Help Me I Am In Call Of Duty”