Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LCD Soundsystem

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    In addition to playing 7 sold out shows in Brooklyn this week, the band just announced the new album, American Dream, will be out September 1, followed by an extensive tour including another 10 shows in Brooklyn! Great time to be an LCD Soundsystem fan in NY.

http://pitchfork.com/news/lcd-sounds...am-world-tour/

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I saw LCD last night in Monterrey, México, at a festival. Holy fucking shit. What an amazing show. I saw them at Sasquatch Festival 7 years ago but I was not too familiar with their music back then, had fun then, but yesterday I was a lot more familiar with their discography and enjoyed the show a lot more. Played for 1 hr 50 mins, good time for a festival slot. LCD came on after Kendrick Lamar. I had heard good things about Kendrick and how he is one of the hottest rap acts right now...and man I gotta say what a disappointment. His show was basically him singing in front of a screen, to a backing track. And the crowd (mostly kids in their early 20's) were eating it up. And he doesn't even sing very well (too high-pitched vocals for my taste, for rap music). And compare that to LCD, with up to 9 musicians on stage, recreating EVERY sound you heard coming from the speakers. At least other rap acts have their DJs with them on stage (like Jurassic 5). Oh well.

Call the Police sounds good live. Highlights for me were Get Innocuous! and Dance Yrself Clean. Glad to have them back. The amount of synths they have is AMAZING. I know there are quite a few people on this board that are nuts about synths, to be honest I'm not too familiar with that world but I do have to say that the stage looked like a freaking spaceship. The guitar player kinda went nuts during one song (can't remember which one), he took off his shirt and started swinging his guitar around while not playing. There were a few "rocking out moments" with the guitar and bass players gathered around the drummer, rocking out. This morning I got the live album from the farewell show. Good times.

Last edited by cahernandez; 08-27-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I had heard good things about Kendrick and how he is one of the hottest rap acts right now...and man I gotta say what a disappointment. His show was basically him singing in front of a screen, to a backing track. And the crowd (mostly kids in their early 20's) were eating it up. And he doesn't even sing very well (too high-pitched vocals for my taste, for rap music). And compare that to LCD, with up to 9 musicians on stage, recreating EVERY sound you heard coming from the speakers. At least other rap acts have their DJs with them on stage (like Jurassic 5). Oh well.
    Gonna stop you right here. Kendrick has a full live band with him on tour, they just perform behind the screen away from public view. Most definitely not playing to a backing track.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Gonna stop you right here. Kendrick has a full live band with him on tour, they just perform behind the screen away from public view. Most definitely not playing to a backing track.
    I don't know, man, it seemed like a karaoke session to me. I did some research about his live band and this is what I was able to find: http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/kendr...ur-review.html. But even then...how much flexibility can you have if you can't physically see your band? A great part of the live experience are the impromptu tweaks that musicians do on the fly, you can't do that if you are not seeing your band eye to eye. Even Cypress Hill has Eric Bobo playing percussions on stage. And Kendrick had a lot of pre-recorded vocals. I know it's hard for him to re-create all the voices on his album, but you can have backup singers for that. I felt cheated with that set.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Kendrick might have been solo with a backing track for that festival show. He performed in NJ the night before, then flew out to the VMA's the next day. So the mexico gig was prolly not his full band, and def. not his full stage show/visuals/dancers/martial artists etc. Prolly not flying out the whole band & equipment for one gig.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    ...so how 'bout that LCD Soundsystem? They're great.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The album leaked, but how bout that Kendrick?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    A b-side was released for free today. James Murphy basically said it didn't fit on the vinyl so it was left off completely, but should come after the album.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Well.. I sure know what I'll listening to today. First couple of tracks sound great, and I think my work place needs a bit of slightly depressed dance punk...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I love it. Really great from start to finish and I think will definitely hold its own against the first 3 albums.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I really like this surprisingly. I thought the songs they released before were terrible. "Call the Cops" was super annoying.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I really like this surprisingly. I thought the songs they released before were terrible. "Call the Cops" was super annoying.
    Call The Police was definitely my least favorite of the 3, but I thought the other 2 were great and sound even better in context of the album. I think Tonite is one of the highlights of the whole album.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    first time listening. on "oh baby" ... for the third time.

damn. if this is any indication of how great the album as a whole is, it's going to take me three hours to get through it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    You'll gonna need six. It's really fucking good.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    it really is. got stuck repeating "tonite" several times. i really love this album. it fits right in with the the other three. just fucking great.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    "other voices" is the awesome talking heads/suicide collab we didn't realize we needed.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah ... this record is great. I've always been a casual fan, but holy hell ... I can't get the melodies and production out of my head.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Move over Queens, it looks like I found an album I might actually enjoy start to finish

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I never thought that James would ever top Sound of Silver, but I feel fairly confidant saying that American Dream is his best album yet. Every LCD album so far has had at least one track on it that I didn't really like, but I can't find anything I don't like on the new one. Every track is consistently great, and I genuinely cannot pick a favorite. Only fault this album has is the half-assed album cover.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I never thought that James would ever top Sound of Silver, but I feel fairly confidant saying that American Dream is his best album yet. Every LCD album so far has had at least one track on it that I didn't really like, but I can't find anything I don't like on the new one. Every track is consistently great, and I genuinely cannot pick a favorite. Only fault this album has is the half-assed album cover.
    What are the tracks you don't like on the other albums?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Holy hell, I finally got around to listening to this album start to finish and its masterpiece.

"Emotional Haircut" - damn, those guitars are really groovy.
    "I Used To" - that opening bassline gets me moving and whenever my co-workers come into the office they start to dance

I never thought that James would ever top Sound of Silver, but I feel fairly confidant saying that American Dream is his best album yet.
    Couldn't agree more!
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 09-03-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    What are the tracks you don't like on the other albums?
    Not a big fan of Never As Tired As When I Wake Up, New York I Love You (I know, I know), and Somebody's Calling Me off of each album respectively.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I cannot stop listening to this album...So far this is taking the #1 spot for album of the year for me. My only complaint is I wish Nancy sang more on it, other than that its damn near perfection.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Caught LCD last night in Hollywood at the Hollywood Bowl and man were they on point!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Not sure if you guys saw it, but they just announced the Electric Lady sessions vinyl: https://store.dfarecords.com/product...15918592917576

I'm broke at the moment but otherwise I'd be all over the physical product!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Electric Lady fuckin rules. Even better than the London Sessions live album.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Electric Lady fuckin rules. Even better than the London Sessions live album.
    That's a bold statement. I haven't listened to Electric Lady yet, but London Sessions is probably my favorite release of their's and is the album that got me into them in the first place.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    That's a bold statement. I haven't listened to Electric Lady yet, but London Sessions is probably my favorite release of their's and is the album that got me into them in the first place.
    If the run of Tonite-Home-I Want Your Love doesn't sell you, I don't know what will. It's incredibly fun.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    In terms of records I would rank them as:
    1. The Long Goodbye
    2. Electric Lady
    3. American Dream
    4. London Sessions
    5. Sound of Silver/This is Happening
    6. Self-titled