Page 144 of 154 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,320 of 4618

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Don't Look Up. Holy shit. The perfect 2021 movie.
    Just finished it.

I really wish there was a follow-up comet, like something in the tail? would have been a better coda (lol puns!).

the floating golden cow was a good touch.

And I was like, "is that Captain America?" at one point and sure 'nuf he's in the uncredited section of the film on IMDB.

the "graphic nudity" had me wondering right up until there it was.

WTF was up with Mark Rylance's choppers? Those had to be fake, right? holy shit.

Doorman Performed by slowthai & Mura Masa
    I knew I recognized his voice.
    The BASH rockets look very similar to the New Shepard rocket launched by billionaire Jeff Bezos in 2021. This may be an intentional parody of the wealthy elite's vision of tech that was lambasted for appearing phallic.
    I was laughing at this and my wife, exasperated at all of the weird things I found funny, finally asked "WHAT" so I had to tell her that they sure look like the dick rocket that Bezos used.

edit: I guess it's going to be hard to find a review of this where a media outlet enjoyed it huh. So many of them saying "it missed the mark and is looking in the wrong places for blame" and it's like...of course you won't accept your part of the blame.
    Last edited by allegate; 01-10-2022 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Titane was pretty wild. On the surface it is surreal body horror, but plays with themes of acceptance and unconditional love.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Saw the Clint Eastwood movie "Richard Jewell" and thought it was great. Paul Walter Hauser gave one hell of a performance.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I watched A24s “The Humans” last night because I had heard good things and GOOD LORD what a snoozefest. Usually I feel like I’m pretty good at picking them but this was a massive misfire in my part. The entire movie I waited for something to happen and …..nothing. Avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Don't Look Up. Holy shit. The perfect 2021 movie.
    I was pleasantly surprised! It had more soul than I expected. I was afraid that, as a movie with a MESSAGE (don't get me wrong, I agree with the message) it would feel too dry and "preachy" but it wasn't like that. I mean sure, there were some caricatures (although such characters seem less and less like caricatures and more realistic as time goes by), but within the limits of comedy/satire, there was genuine sadness in the movie for our failings and for all that we stand to lose.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    New and final season of Search Party is pretty interesting so far.

I have forgiven them for ending the last season on a f****** dream sequence.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Titane was pretty wild. On the surface it is surreal body horror, but plays with themes of acceptance and unconditional love.

Did you see her last movie, Raw? It's pretty wild. It's on Netflix.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I have not, although I am aware of it.
    I'll see if it's on VOD.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

What Are You Watching?

Thin Red Line. Underrated, classic imo.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The first time I saw that was for a film studies class. My usual mode for the class was to show up at the theater and see what movie we would be watching. If it was one I'd seen before - or one that sounded dull as sin - I'd jet out when the lights went down. I decided to stay for this one because the teacher sold it pretty well. Damn, that was an experience. I have the Criterion release for it even.

I think it's where my love of long meandering movies started, maybe? I mean since then I've loved No Country for Old Men, Stalker, and The Green Knight just to name a few.

Speaking of No Country, I put that in the other night and man it's still so good. My wife and son however...well. We got to the part at the hotel and Moss and they both got mad - just like everyone else did back on release! - and just had no clue what was happening anymore. I mean at the beginning when Chigurh kills the deputy my wife said, "So the narrator is dead?"

Other discussions were had about the meaning of the title and what the movie is showing but I didn't win them over. Ah well. Philistines, the lot of them.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    This Archive81 is pretty damn stunning so far.

I really hope that between this and Midnight Mass, a trend of 7-8 hour, clever, deep horror "movies" begins.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I just fired up season 4 of Ozark. Been waiting for this one. Great series.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I just fired up season 4 of Ozark. Been waiting for this one. Great series.
    Thanks for the reminder! Forgot that came back yesterday. I know what I'm doing this morning while it's currently -23 degrees F (-30.5 C for those of you in the rest of the world) outside!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Watched “The Beatles: 8 Days a Week: The Touring Years” last night on Hulu.

It was AWESOME.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Thanks for the reminder! Forgot that came back yesterday. I know what I'm doing this morning while it's currently -23 degrees F (-30.5 C for those of you in the rest of the world) outside!
    Brrrrrrr! You're welcome. Sounds like a perfect day for some binge watching. I'll be well into it but have to break for the NFL playoffs today & tomorrow. I'm on episode 2 now. Ruthie is back!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Brrrrrrr! You're welcome. Sounds like a perfect day for some binge watching. I'll be well into it but have to break for the NFL playoffs today & tomorrow. I'm on episode 2 now. Ruthie is back!
    The problem is that I only have like, fairly vague memories of the last season. Hasn't it been a couple years?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    The problem is that I only have like, fairly vague memories of the last season. Hasn't it been a couple years?
    Yes, COVID delayed things. I watched first 2 episodes but #3 won't load. I'll wait for it to load on another channel, hint hint. haha. Ruthie is a naughty girl!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Netflix always does recap videos for previous seasons of their shows. I find them very helpful in these situations.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Speaking of No Country, I put that in the other night and man it's still so good. My wife and son however...well. We got to the part at the hotel and Moss and they both got mad - just like everyone else did back on release! - and just had no clue what was happening anymore. I mean at the beginning when Chigurh kills the deputy my wife said, "So the narrator is dead?"
    Funny timing, because I actually just watched it the other night myself. It was the first time I had seen it since it was in theaters and I didn't like it the first time but I had always wanted to give it a second chance. I'm really glad I did. That is a damn good movie, and I can't believe I didn't like it the first time. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Finished episode 7 today. Can we get part 2 now please?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Had a sick day today, so I binged The Jinx

Might be the most satisfying True Crime show I’ve watched

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Watched "The Cell" with Jennifer Lopez. I have a new respect for her. I admit my taste is very art based but it seems to work on all levels visually! Can't say plot or dialogue wise it changed my life but it's one of the prettiest movies I have ever seen!
    Hmm, wonder what storyline changed my life? Maybe Arrival or Annihilation.
    Those along with Amelie are my all time favorites and:
    The Hunger
    Fantastic Planet
    Lolita
    Fight Club
    Akira
    Perfect Blue
    Midnight in Paris
    Wes A.
    Jojo Rabbit
    Oh Yeah! Studio Ghibli! Everything Studio Ghibli I'd say made me who I am today. Crown Jewels of Cinema imo.
    I have a TON of other favorites but I've talked too long already.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene Nymph View Post
    Watched "The Cell" with Jennifer Lopez. I have a new respect for her. I admit my taste is very art based but it seems to work on all levels visually!
    That movie is so... luscious. Watching that and Thirteenth Floor close together really gets into D'Onofrio well too.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene Nymph View Post
    Watched "The Cell" with Jennifer Lopez. I have a new respect for her. I admit my taste is very art based but it seems to work on all levels visually! Can't say plot or dialogue wise it changed my life but it's one of the prettiest movies I have ever seen!
    The director, Tarsem Singh, is a very visual guy. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend another film of his, The Fall. Absolutely stunning visually, and I quite like it as a story too.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Watching House of Gucci. Quite good so far.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    That movie is so... luscious. Watching that and Thirteenth Floor close together really gets into D'Onofrio well too.
    Indeed, my friend. And after that: more D'Onofrio: Adventures in Babysitting for Thor D'Onofrio, Men in Black for Bug D'Onofrio and Full Metal Jacket for Your-mind-will-be-blown D'Onofrio.

For dessert: Law and Order Criminal Intent for Ultimate D'Onofrio and, in later seasons, a bonus: Delightful Jeff Goldblum.

Digestif: The Magnificent Seven with Quirky D'Onofrio, Fantastic Ethan Hawke and God Denzel.

As for what I am watching: season 2 of Resident Alien. So awesome.
    Last edited by marodi; 02-09-2022 at 08:25 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watching House of Gucci. Quite good so far.
    I forget what movie we were watching but the trailer for Morbius popped up and then right after that was House of Gucci. I leaned over to my son and told him that the fat guy acting so weird was also Morbius and he was so confused.

He doesn't do the Hollywood / who's that guy/gal thing very well at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    As for what I am watching: season 2 of Resident Alien. So awesome.
    Are you watching it live on SyFy or somewhere else? We watched it on Peacock but I think that was an 'after it aired' thing, not while it was live on the channel.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Are you watching it live on SyFy or somewhere else? We watched it on Peacock but I think that was an 'after it aired' thing, not while it was live on the channel.
    SyFy is not available is Canada so I watch it on a Canadian channel called (and I kid you not) CTV Sci-Fi. It seems to air on the same night as SyFy so I guess I watch it live.

An octopus has never been this funny,I tell you!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Been having a "slow cinema" time recently, catching up on some stuff I may have missed (or wanted to see again):

Days (2020; I absolutely love Tsai Ming-liang)
    Drive My Car (2021)
    Lamb (2021)
    Melancholia (2008; yes the 7-hour one)
    Memoria (2021)
    Phantom Thread (2017; the wife hadn't seen this one)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm in the last season of ST:TNG. I've started going through all the ST, and it's going to take a while, but there's a little dent.

That animated original series is something