Page 73 of 154 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 4613

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Haha, so I've heard. A lot are unfavorable to it since it's "painfully slow, doesn't deliver and basically doesn't live up to Neeson's past films."
    Based on the trailer I expected something as dark as 8mm, but also with Neesons intensity. Unfortunately that is not the case and sometimes the movie feels like its made for TV. There are good parts, but the majority is pretty disappointing and the sub-plot (the kid) is beyond ridicilous and totally unnecessary.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Except for Batman, I have never cared about superhero movies. But I thought I should try to understand the phenomenon, so I try to catch them when they're on TV now. Iron Man was ok. Sort of ridiculous, but ok, it was not the libertarian dream I had expected. The Return of the First Avenger, however, was just too much. I stopped watching when Captain America destroyed a jetfighter with his shield or something. Yes, I got that "America is soul-searching after 9/11" but the "serious comic book movie" doesn't work when the action is so over-the-top. Also, Robert Redford has become old.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    If you're on the lookout for good superhero movies, I suggest the first X-men, Superman (with Christopher Reeve) and Spiderman (with Tobey Maguire). Sounds like you've already seen The Dark Knight. If you have a high tolerance for ultraviolence, Kick-ass is pretty fun too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    If you're on the lookout for good superhero movies, I suggest the first X-men, Superman (with Christopher Reeve) and Spiderman (with Tobey Maguire). Sounds like you've already seen The Dark Knight. If you have a high tolerance for ultraviolence, Kick-ass is pretty fun too.
    Thanks! Yes, I forgot I watched the first three X-men movies (Gandalf and Cpt. Picard!) and liked them. I didn't understand why the third movie is not liked as much. I never really watched the Superman movies, because he just strikes me as a boring character. I watched Kick-Ass and loved it, but then, it was a little different. I liked The Dark Knight, but actually prefer the gothic Tim Burton Batman over Nolan's gritty and realistic Batman.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Watched this for the first time. Absolutely great crime film that's far more character-focused than anything. Baker is wonderful as Sydney, and it has what might be my favorite performance from Samuel Jackson. As a mild Tim & Eric fan and someone who really loved Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox story, it's surreal seeing John C. Reilly in a dramatic role, but then again I felt the same way in Magnolia at first. Once I got past that initial strangeness, he really seemed to slip into this role for me. I'm not a big Paltrow fan either, but really found her totally serviceable in this. In general it's a film where the acting really sells it, and all of the cast do a great job. It's a far cry from things like There Will Be Blood or The Master from PT Anderson but it's still incredibly good, it just has such a different purpose and goal than his more recent work.

@ambergris people hated X-Men 3 because it changed a lot of the source material for the worse and in general weakened, redesigned and ruined a lot of prominent comic book characters. The Phoenix story line with Jean Grey was watered down beyond belief and in general it just made poor choices with the material it was adapting from. If you're not into comics then that's probably why you liked it (and that's totally fine). I really recommend Hellboy if you haven't seen it, by the way! Really great film by Guillermo Del Toro and has one of the best comic-to-film castings of all time with Ron Perlman in the titular role.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 01-28-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Pretty solid.

Last edited by Pillfred; 01-28-2015 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. I've not seen a Wes Anderson film I didn't enjoy, and I still don't think anything is going to top The Royal Tenenbaums for me as my favorite of his, but this was really pleasant. The warmth/depth I got out of Tenenbaums and to a lesser extent the Life Aquatic just isn't there, but the style certainly is. The score did a great job of being near-constant (I can't remember a moment where it wasn't going, to be honest) and the ensemble cast was great as always in his films. For what it was going for and set out to do, I definitely found it successful. I do kind of hate that a lot of his films have become a running list of famous actors in small parts wearing silly costumes, but it is what it is I suppose. I realize I'm making it sound like I enjoyed it a lot less than I did; it was a total pleasure to watch, and I look forward to seeing it again when I show it to my girlfriend if she's interested.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The Big Lebowski:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Kill Bill part 1 and part 2. Again. While I'm cleaning up and rearranging my place.

I DESPERATELY want Tarantino to do one anime-style film. It'll never happen, ever, but still. I'd LOVE to see that.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 01-31-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Going through Breaking Bad again, starting from season 2. Hitting a bit close to home with a personal situation - I've got to ask, most people aren't pathological liars, right? Right?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The Millenium trilogy, you know, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the Swedish original. Good movies, though not quite matching the hype that was around them or the books. A little too many coincidences and lucky timing. The first movie was the best one, but also a bit too much like Silence of the Lambs. The strong points are the two main characters.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    A friend turned me on to Prison Break, and I can't lie - I do like it, but holy damn...I can't get over how this show wouldn't even go anywhere is it meant everyone would do their jobs or maybe follow up on information by looking into it. A lady on the outside got upset with a dude in prison because another guy told her that the guy in prison was getting conjugal visits from some other chick. She would TOTALLY request to see the visiting logs and see that's not even a thing. Then there's the fact that the first 30 seconds of the show was a guy finishing a FULL UPPER BODY tattoo, and he just puts a shirt on and leaves to do his business. Motherfucker, your tattoos would be RUINED if you just up and left without taking any care of them first.

It's all just little things, so they annoy me, but when I just look at it as a show and chalk it all up to drama, it's not bad. Pretty solid performances from the main cast.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The Venture Brothers

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just watched Nightcrawler and John Wick. Nightcrawler was decent didn't exactly click but I'll watch again sometime. John Wick was fun. I dug the fighting (gun) scenes.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Went on a huge Linklater kick this weekend and it was the best. In order:

Before Sunrise
    Before Sunset
    Waking Life
    Before Midnight

I'd seen about half of Waking Life around 2006, so it was almost like seeing it for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. I particularly loved Linklater's monologue on Philip K. Dick. I plan on watching it again this week (along with Slacker).

Now the Before trilogy. Wow. I highly recommend watching them over the course of just a few days. It allowed me to absorb each film on its own merits while still keeping the characters and their histories fresh in mind. It was a great and powerful experience. I loved all of them, but Before Midnight (mild spoilers ahead) was outright caustic at times. It was like this strange payoff that had been building up for 2.5 movies and 18 years. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy were incredible. I'm very, very curious what the script-writing process was like. How much was improvised? etc.

Not to take anything away from Derek Cianfrance (who I seriously admire) and Blue Valentine (which I am a big fan of), but the Before movies were like what Cianfrance was dreaming of doing with Blue Valentine. Before had the advantage of a sense of humor and a sense of reality (i.e. aging over real time).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was one of the 2 people who saw Jupiter Ascending this weekend.

Just got back from an IMAX 3D screening. Keep in mind I am a big Speed Racer fan.
    I liked it. It's kind of like Terry Gilliam* doing Dune, sprinkled with balls-out Wachowski spectacle. For my money, the Wachowskis are still doing great, innovative action, which was most apparent in Cain's gravity boots - particularly the first time you see him cut loose with them in the alley. Some really inventive stuff going on there between the surfing on air, ricocheting off surfaces, and stealth. I loved his shield, too. The chase through Chicago reminded me of Star Tours(!!) in the best way. Incredible sound + visuals. I got my money's worth when that scene ended.

I would've liked more Sean Bean of course, but he was great as per usual. Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis were lovely. I've become a big Channing fan as of late.
    *I loved Terry Gilliam's cameo. Easily one of my favorite scenes.
    Props to Eddie Redmayne for one of the most reptilian, vampiric performances I've ever seen. He was genuinely frightening and slimy to the bone.
    There was some fairly elaborate Wachowski exposition RE: the politics of 'The Entitled' but that's part of the reason I want to see it again. I didn't really "get" Speed Racer as a whole until my 3rd viewing (for a kid's movie there's some pretty esoteric dialogue), and now I love it. Not unlike that movie, Jupiter Ascending kind of marches to its own beat. It's not the emotional ride of Interstellar, nor the crowdpleaser that is Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a Space Opera.

*shrug* If you consider yourself a fan of spectacle, I highly recommend seeing this flick. The world of Jupiter is stunningly realized. At its best, it is a very fun, very epic thrill. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't even bother if you can't do IMAX 3D. It's expensive, but worth it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    A friend turned me on to Prison Break
    I've been slowly working my way through it for a few years. I'm up to Season 4 now and have recently got back into it. It's ridiculously unrealistic most of the time but I like the tension it creates, sort of like 24 did. I do like how the cast mixes well and the acting seems spot on. You'll like Season 1 and 2. For me, Season 3 was "wow, this is really happening?" and Season 4 has been "How did we get here?" but it's a fun ride.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Sean Dunne's latest documentary "Florida Man" for free: http://www.floridamanthemovie.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This weekend I watched Edge of Tomorrow and Fury. I enjoyed both to be honest and were probably better than I expected especially Edge of Tomorrow.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Say, Predestination wasn't half bad! Very strange film experience. I went into it without knowing absolutely anything. I suggest anyone interested does the same.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just got done with the initial 8 episode run of the Ronald D. Moore series Outlander on Starz. I've never heard of this until a few days ago, but I gave it a look because of Moore's involvement. Its about an English girl who gets transported back to the 1700's Scotland Highlands through some Pagan Stone Henge-esque rocks. Its a mix of World War 1, English period dramas, Braveheart, romance novels(but in a subtle, well done kind of way), with just a hint of Game of Thrones(it even features Edmure Tully in a dual starring role).

I quite liked it. I've always liked seeing old Scotland on film, and its depiction of 1700's Highlander culture is historically accurate and fascinating. Its well acted and nicely paced, never seeming to be in a rush. The story is fairly simple and you can play a drinking game with how many times the lead almost gets raped, but overall its quite good, especially if you're into the whole Scottish 'kilts-and-knife-fights' thing.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Nightcrawler was absolutely fantastic.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Watching more Prison Break. Season 2, episode 14. I think Bellick might be my favorite character at this point in the show. I feel like there are EXTREME similarities with Shane from The Walking Dead. Although, T-Bag is probably the most well-played character of the show, to me. He's just so fun to follow and listen to, as big of a psycho as he might be.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Watched Kingsman this weekend. I enjoyed it, a bit slower pace than I expected but it was a good mix of comedy and action. Fun flick unfortunately box office wise it will overshadowed by 50 Shades but hopefully it did well. Colin Firth was pretty awesome and Taron Egerton was pretty good too. Nice cast.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Just finished Kyle Kinanes "I Liked His Old Stuff Better" stand-up special, loved every minute of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Watched Snowpiercer yesterday. I was surprised to find it an elaborate allegory rather than science fiction. It is definitely well intentioned and ambitious as such, but I was bored throughout. Maybe it's just not my thing.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, I finally broke down and watched Edge of Tomorrow after hearing a lot of good things about it. It was...ok. Decent. Nothing special, but worth watching if you're bored, I guess. It was worth the $2 it cost to rent it at Redbox, let's put it that way.

...Except the ending, which I still don't entirely understand (or maybe it's just that it doesn't make any damn sense). Other than that, it was decent.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    So, I finally broke down and watched Edge of Tomorrow after hearing a lot of good things about it. It was...ok. Decent. Nothing special, but worth watching if you're bored, I guess. It was worth the $2 it cost to rent it at Redbox, let's put it that way.

...Except the ending, which I still don't entirely understand (or maybe it's just that it doesn't make any damn sense). Other than that, it was decent.
    You should definitely read the book. It's a pretty easy story to digest, and there are a lot of little things they left out or rushed for the sake of the movie being a movie. I thought the movie was fine. Not the best way to adapt the story, but it was a good try. It was at least fun to see Tom Cruise as kind of a bitch for a little while instead of being the big strong lead character through the entire movie.

Also, the book ending is WAY cooler than the movie ending, in my opinion. I would've loved to see that ending go down instead.