Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    ha! I missed that bit.
    Yes, it's a stupid sentence.
    BUT, the show is only 3 episodes.
    I'm not aware of this Moffat, as I don't watch many British shows
    he was the showrunner on Doctor Who for a while and is the co-creator and showrunner of Sherlock (the one with Benedict Cumberbatch) and he made a lot of really bad decisions on both

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    I couldn't believe Brad got in the negative last night. He definitely got the hardest questions.

Do you know if this is the time when Alex is going to say goodbye?
    If you're asking me,
    No, I don't know it for a fact. It FEELS like it, though.
    That being said, I'd imagine they've already got more episodes filmed, you know?
    But, surely he will retire soon :/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Did any of you guys catch the BBC/Netflix Dracula series?
    No, not interested in this topic generally, but it inspired me to watch again after a long time BBC Sherlock, seasons 1 - 3 were incredible. Yes, they were.

(btw, "BBC/Netflix" - interesting, public service TV paid by citizens and commercial platform)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Did any of you guys catch the BBC/Netflix Dracula series?

I have a bit of a goth streak. I went in with low expectations, and wound up getting a BIG kick out of it- especially the first episode.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who has ever been in to vampire stuff, be it Stoker, Rice, Buffy or Castlevania.
    Wife and I started watching it last night not knowing there was only three episodes.

Totally enjoyed the first, and thought the second was good until that ENDING. What??

We’ll finish the third today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    Wife and I started watching it last night not knowing there was only three episodes.

Totally enjoyed the first, and thought the second was good until that ENDING. What??

We’ll finish the third today.

Quoting myself here. Just finished Dracula and what a disappointment. I liked the first episode because it stayed close to the book. The second was decent until the twist ending.

The third was a dumpster fire. Holy cow. I want that hour and a half back. If anyone’s considering watching this, I’d say hard pass.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Re-watching "Elementary" from the beginning.

Such a good show, I really like the writing and acting.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Re-watching "Elementary" from the beginning.

Such a good show, I really like the writing and acting.
    my favorite version of sherlock & watson by far.

reading IMDB reviews for this show is hilarious because there's always someone complaining about the show "shoving the left-wing agenda down our throats" and it's just like...sorry the writers aren't assholes and actually enjoy writing stories about being good to people?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my favorite version of sherlock & watson by far.

reading IMDB reviews for this show is hilarious because there's always someone complaining about the show "shoving the left-wing agenda down our throats" and it's just like...sorry the writers aren't assholes and actually enjoy writing stories about being good to people?
    Is so tiresome but it's just everywhere, any movie/show/game that has even a single women or POC or even hints at someone being gay and it's "sToP puShiNg YouR AgEndA oN mEEEEE" *sigh*

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Knives Out - 8/10: Quite good, very refreshing. Random is not always good, and I hate it when artists are being praised for doing the stupidest things possible ("YOU JUST DON'T GET IT"), and I can't say that everything sticked in this movie, but most of it did. And even those stuff which were coming a mile away did not annoy me. There was just one scene near the end which made me roll my eyes, when certain characters had no business being at a certain place, but they had to be there for the sake of advancing the plot. I appreciate that at least they later tried to explain why were they there, but it was still dumb. Luckily, the movie did not take itself too seriously, so I let that one pass.

(yes, I am aware that it was written and directed by my good friend)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Is so tiresome but it's just everywhere, any movie/show/game that has even a single women or POC or even hints at someone being gay and it's "sToP puShiNg YouR AgEndA oN mEEEEE" *sigh*
    To be fair, I've seen or read a valid criticism somewhere that you can only be gay in a mainstream movie if you are not the main character, which is a backhanded thing - don't bring up the autobiography movies; especially knowing that they cut the "gay" out for China. It keeps the people you quoted riled up, it keeps some other people content, but at the end, doesn't really give that social group proper acknowledgment. Still more than nothing, and as a psychologist I've been listening to said: "I'd rather recieve something positive from a fake source, than something hurtful from an honest source; I'd be stupid for wanting to be hurt! Give me positive stuff, sure!" I suppose I can see his point, and at the end of the day, it is still a net positive for our society, even if said corporations doesn't give a fuck about gay people, they just know that they can reap in some good publicity if the main character's best friend is gay.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, I saw my first two movies of 2020 this weekend: Clemency and Weathering with You. Unfortunately, I didn't like either very much.

Clemency was just ok (BARELY ok), which I kind of expected, TBH. I was hoping it would be good but I wasn't super excited to see it. There just isn't much out that looks good and a friend wanted to hang out and see a movie so that's what we went with. There were definitely some good moments (the opening, in particular, was very tense and powerful), the performances were good (Aldis Hodge in particular was FANTASTIC) and Mr. freaking Belding shows up (which made me more excited than it should have but also took me out of the movie a bit). Points for being an anti-capital punishment movie but there was nothing particularly great about it.

And Weathering with You just...wow, am I disappointed. This was my second most anticipated movie of the year and the director's last film (Your Name) is probably one of my all-time favorite movies but boy did I not like this one at all. It was just...bizarre. And hard to wrap my head around. Not in the sense that it was super complex or anything but just...I don't know. There was something very off about it and I can't quite put my finger on what it was but it just did not work for me at all. Plus it was kind of boring. Like, I really had high hopes for this thing and the whole movie I thought, you know, it's going to click at some point, it's going to get better, everything that came so far will pay off by the end, SOMETHING, but it never did. Maybe it would grow on me upon a second viewing but I honestly don't know if I could sit through it again.

Oh, and I'm a bit late on this but I saw Little Women around Christmas and absolutely loved it. I haven't read the book or seen any of the other films so I genuinely had no idea what to expect. I just knew it took place in the 1800s and was the story of this group of sisters growing up. That's it. That is all I knew. And for the first half of the movie I really wasn't sure I liked it but the second half just knocked it out of the park. Fantastic, ended up being one of my favorite films of last year. Also, Florence Pugh and Saorsie Ronan were outstanding, although for the first maybe quarter of the movie every time Florence Pugh was on screen all I could think about was Midsommar. Heh

Oh, and Marriage Story, which was good but not great. Like, the first half or so was SO GOOD and I thought for sure it would end up being one of my favorite films of the year. But then the second half just wasn't nearly as good. Still a good movie but not as great as the first half seemed to promise.
    Last edited by theruiner; 01-20-2020 at 03:25 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I liked Marriage Story alot, but the life the two of them were leading is so unrelatable to me & I'm assuming many others. It took me out of the movie a bit. The crucial issue at the heart of their disagreement is frankly just not realistic for many, many people a& can illicit an "OH, POOR YOU" reaction. At least from me.

That being said, the performances from both leads were incredible, with Scarjo just beating out Adam Driver for me. Worth watching easily just for them. The way they argue in the climactic scene was some truly peak acting ability.

Laura Dern being nominated for anything from this is a joke though. She's fine in it, but not worthy of any sort of award as the year's best.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished watching the latest episodes of "Hip Hop Evolution", I still like the series. Of course, not being one all that familiar with stories in Hip Hop, most all of it is new to me... and that's just fine.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching "Jay & Silent Bob Reboot" and I enjoyed it just fine. I did watch "Strike Back" earlier today to just do a comparison... and I like "Reboot" just a bit more.

Made me laugh and giggle.

iHowever, while watching "Strike Back" I did finally come to understand why I like these movies. They feel like "The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie Strange Brew" to me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The wife and I are binge watching Sex Education season 2. Season 2 is just as enjoyable as season 1

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw Color Out of Space in theaters last night. It's a shame it won't have a wide release, but I'm glad I got to see it with an audience.

My oversimplified review is that it's a camp-heavy, Cage-happy version of ANNIHILATION and it's a ton of fun. Gorgeous, saturated visuals combined with some satisfyingly creepy body horror makes for a very enjoyable ride.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Saw Color Out of Space in theaters last night. It's a shame it won't have a wide release, but I'm glad I got to see it with an audience.

My oversimplified review is that it's a camp-heavy, Cage-happy version of ANNIHILATION and it's a ton of fun. Gorgeous, saturated visuals combined with some satisfyingly creepy body horror makes for a very enjoyable ride.
    i've heard that Colin Stetson's score is incredible, too. (he did Hereditary and every record of his i've ever heard has been incredible)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Was dragged to seeing Bad Boys... I want my 14 dollars back, along with the 2 hours or so of my life as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i've heard that Colin Stetson's score is incredible, too. (he did Hereditary and every record of his i've ever heard has been incredible)
    Stetson rules! Been a fan of his for a long time. Loved what he did with Hereditary but I feel like he's really come into his own as film composer on Color: there's more sonic textures, more experimentation, and overall a sense of more confidence. I hope he keeps getting tapped for film work!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Was dragged to seeing Bad Boys... I want my 14 dollars back, along with the 2 hours or so of my life as well.
    Agreed. Kinda wish i'd posted my review here Saturday now, i might have helped you avoid it...sorry.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Watched Bad Boys 3 over the weekend. Didn't quite stick the humor of the first couple, but it was still amusing at times. The action sequences were alright. Nothing will ever top the highway chase in the second i feel like. I'll give it a 6/10.

Also watched Midsommar over the weekend, and I like Hereditary, I did not particularly care for it. It was visually interesting as everything was so bright and colorful which is different for a horror movie, but ultimately wish I had those two hours back. I won't rate this one as I'm not a legitimate horror fan, so it wouldn't be fair.
    Last edited by ryanmcfly; 01-27-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I saw 1917 in the theater with my Dad over the weekend, I'm not sure if i got his opinion on whether he really enjoyed it or not as he's a man of few words. Sometimes he's not that great to have as a movie buddy because i can just hear him cursing under his breath and trying to backseat drive the movie, it's annoying.

Regardless i really enjoyed the movie and as a war epic spectacle i thought it was actually WAY BETTER than Dunkirk for something recent to compare it to, hell even Hacksaw Ridge was better than Dunkirk. The problem i had with Nolan's movie was that all it did was jump around and show you stuff happening, it didn't have any sense of character. You didn't hardly spend time with anyone or get to know anyone, there was nothing to follow except for the event itself. I just didn't like the format and the way the story was told whereas with 1917 you actually stick with those two soldiers the whole way through and get to experience all their tense moments, you really feel the emotion and circumstance.

Two thumbs up from me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Saw 1917 last night and found it oddly disturbing, in other words, well done! War obviously sucks. The 1917 story-line, based on a true story, offered a hint of what it might be like to experience. The cinematography and setting were extremely well done. WWI trench warfare must have been absolutely horrific to endure.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Just watched Parasite and holy cow what a wild movie. One of the best I’ve seen recently.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Watched “Motherless Brooklyn”, I’m enjoying the story and the performances but the CGI depicting the era kinda stands out… along with most of the store signs they wanted to do. It's on the long side but it's a good pace.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood again and liked it a lot better this time. Maybe it just translates better for me on the small screen.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Birds of Prey... I guess this movie was not aimed for men. Written by a woman, directed by a women, starring a woman who can outsmart and outmuschle everyone, with another woman who is the best damn cop there is and who has an ex wife, then there's the extremely talented woman who can sing, fight and have a hidden talent from her mother, then a girl who plays a key role, because she is the best thief in the world, and last but not least the woman, who crossbows bad people (=men) to death. Their opponents are all men. Even when the villain (= a rich man) have hired guns as an army, they are still all men.

Now, I don't mind, because this was never even hidden in the movie, so basically this was a chick flick, but can't say I was the target audience for this. Still, I liked some parts of the movie, but this is a big mess. I don't understand why some people are surprised that it's a big flop. The movie does not know what it wants to be. It feels like it had 5 directors at least. I think this could have been a good movie, if they go full out on the stupid part. The most annoying parts of the movie are when they try to make sense of this all.

Anyway, if you enjoy seeing women beating up men for one and a half hour, then definitely check this movie out. If you want a serious movie with deep story or cool superhero characters, then don't check this movie out.

Edit: Ewan and Margot were great though, Ewan's character was very funny and in a unique way.
    Last edited by Volband; 02-14-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just watched John Carpenters The Thing for the first time... Holy shit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yip Man 4, I didn't even know such good "simple" fighting movies without guns are being made, very very good!