Page 122 of 154 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 4618

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    holy fuck, Knives Out was soooooo goooooooood

i fear inviting arguments into this thread but maybe people will finally shut up about rian johnson being a "terrible director" because of the last jedi (which is unfounded, anyway, especially looking back at his filmography; i've been a fan since brick was in the theater). this was like the pinnacle of his talents, though. absolutely incredible.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I haven't seen the shining, nor did I pay much attention to the movie after 30 mins, but god, [B]Doctor Sleep[/B i] is like one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Aside from one event, everything was coming from a mile. The effects and visuals were decent, but if I had to define artsy shallowness, this would be it. I do not understand 7.4 on IMDB, I really don't.

I wish I could say I didn't understand the story, because then I could say this movie must be watched after The Shining. But this was so simple, you basically knew everything after 30 mins.

The whole movie felt (and looked) like a classic fairy tale movie for kids. Reminded me of Stardust. Plus the gore, which was meh.

I need some sleep to decide whether this or X-men Apocalypse was the worst movie Ive ever seen. This has good acting by Ewan Mcgregor, while the other has one really good scene (the one with the speedy boy).

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I haven't seen the shining, nor did I pay much attention to the movie after 30 mins, but god, [B]Doctor Sleep[/B i] is like one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Aside from one event, everything was coming from a mile. The effects and visuals were decent, but if I had to define artsy shallowness, this would be it. I do not understand 7.4 on IMDB, I really don't.

I wish I could say I didn't understand the story, because then I could say this movie must be watched after The Shining. But this was so simple, you basically knew everything after 30 mins.

The whole movie felt (and looked) like a classic fairy tale movie for kids. Reminded me of Stardust. Plus the gore, which was meh.

I need some sleep to decide whether this or X-men Apocalypse was the worst movie Ive ever seen. This has good acting by Ewan Mcgregor, while the other has one really good scene (the one with the speedy boy).
    As a fan of the shining (novel and movie) and as someone who read Dr. Sleep, I enjoyed the movie. It was pretty spot on except they changed the ending which I was a little meh about. But I certainly didn’t dislike it. As a King fan and a fan of the original and of the new book, it was what I thought it would be. I think the only people that would be disappointed with this movie are those that aren’t familiar with the books (have never read them) or those that went into this movie thinking they’d see an Oscar worthy performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    As a fan of the shining (novel and movie) and as someone who read Dr. Sleep, I enjoyed the movie. It was pretty spot on except they changed the ending which I was a little meh about. But I certainly didn’t dislike it. As a King fan and a fan of the original and of the new book, it was what I thought it would be. I think the only people that would be disappointed with this movie are those that aren’t familiar with the books (have never read them) or those that went into this movie thinking they’d see an Oscar worthy performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah, was The Shining like this? This had such a low budget feel to it. Everyone but Ewan was over the top, especially the villains, the story was convoluted AND childishly simple at the same time, which doesn't even make sense... and the "twists" were coming a mile away, like a straight to DVD Steven Segal movie. This is the epitome of a movie you have already seen a million times, because it's cliché after cliché.

Back to the low budget feel, the glaring lazyness was really annoying. Like, they want to abduct a child, who happens to walk home alone in the middle of absolute nowhere. Is it impossible for a child to do that? No, but the whole scene was so lazy and lacking... everything, really. Not only was he comically all alone, the kidnappers also Spoiler: possess the ability to mind control so there was zero tension. Why do I even need to see it??

Ah, I could go on and on. Kids disappearing, spooky house, "if [person only you see] really exists..." conversations... The only thing I can't rate is the ending, because without knowing The Shining, there is no point for me to analyze it. Maybe it made sense, maybe it didn't. By that point, it really didn't matter.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Knives Out is a LOAD OF FUN! Seriously entertaining film for the holiday period!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I haven't seen the movie, but Dr Sleep book sucked. Many of its problems are the same things @Volband said about the movie (cliches and lazy twists).

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Just finished The Report. It was pretty much what I expected. Intense and disturbing, but absolutely worth the watch.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my wife and i are re-watching Warehouse 13, and i'm re-watching Hannibal on my own

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    W13 was a fun show, that and Haven. Tried watching it again with my son but he's got this weird hangup on cheesy effects. teenagers, wtf.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    W13 was a fun show, that and Haven. Tried watching it again with my son but he's got this weird hangup on cheesy effects. teenagers, wtf.
    i'm very forgiving of bad CGI on tv shows (especially after watching the first few seasons of once upon a time hahaha).

pete and myka / artie and claudia are just so fun that i don't really care that much about what else is going on, which usually happens to be really cool, so it's just icing on the cake. lots of good special features on the blu-rays, too!

never checked out haven but i know one of the main guys is jesse from the first episode of buffy (xander's friend who gets turned into a vampire)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm very forgiving of bad CGI on tv shows (especially after watching the first few seasons of once upon a time hahaha).

pete and myka / artie and claudia are just so fun that i don't really care that much about what else is going on, which usually happens to be really cool, so it's just icing on the cake. lots of good special features on the blu-rays, too!

never checked out haven but i know one of the main guys is jesse from the first episode of buffy (xander's friend who gets turned into a vampire)
    we watched OUaT together and he didn't mind then, but he was also 3-4 years younger than he is now. I had to force him to watch Terminator and even then had to finally say "watch the movie and shut up" because he wouldn't quit yapping about the clothes and hair.

The best thing was going straight into T2 and the look on his face when Arnie shows up and is the good guy. Loved that so much.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Dolemite Is My Name - I've needed this for eye bleach. It has a bit of a slow start, but once it gets going it's really funny. If it wasn't based on a true story, I'd say this is shit and people like Rudy does not exist, but the best part of this movie is that it's by and large true. Eddie Murphy put it greatly: "Rudy was a loser who refused to lose" and you just have to root for a guy like that. I think this is a great movie to watch around Christmas time as well.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @allegate did you watch Eureka? forgot to mention it in relation to W13 since they are in a shared universe. i've watched that show twice and i absolutely love it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    @allegate did you watch Eureka? forgot to mention it in relation to W13 since they are in a shared universe. i've watched that show twice and i absolutely love it.
    Yeah, I watched the first two or three seasons but then we moved and didn't have cable. I should see if the library has the DVDs.

I even read one or two of the books and remember they were OK.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Yeah, I watched the first two or three seasons but then we moved and didn't have cable. I should see if the library has the DVDs.

I even read one or two of the books and remember they were OK.
    eureka's on amazon prime!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    even easier then!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Ultra Q and Ultraman, getting ready for Ultraseven next week. The quality being what it is, I'm just happy to be getting these in the US.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    75% of the way through the new season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I glanced at some review headlines first and they all seemed to have a sort of "eh, it's starting to be...not so marvelous" angle to them, but I'm really enjoying this season. I still hate Joel's personality, but I'm really liking the new characters and some of the storylines they're introducing. Will probably wipe out the last two episodes today, making this my first "full season in a day" binge in a long time.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    YETI!

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, I just got HBO again and I was SO excited to finally jump into both Watchmen and the final season of Silicon Valley and I am super disappointed.

Silicon Valley has just not been very good. Last season wasn't very good, either. It's a bummer because this used to be one of the funniest shows on TV. I'm going to stick with it until the end but what a disappointing way to end the series. And Watchmen I am not enjoying at all. I'm trying to stick with it for a little while longer but it's getting really hard. Not sure how much longer I'm going to continue.

After that I'm going to jump into Mrs. Fletcher and give Succession another chance, so at least I have that to look forward to.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    So, I just got HBO again and I was SO excited to finally jump into both Watchmen and the final season of Silicon Valley and I am super disappointed.

Silicon Valley has just not been very good. Last season wasn't very good, either. It's a bummer because this used to be one of the funniest shows on TV. I'm going to stick with it until the end but what a disappointing way to end the series. And Watchmen I am not enjoying at all. I'm trying to stick with it for a little while longer but it's getting really hard. Not sure how much longer I'm going to continue.

After that I'm going to jump into Mrs. Fletcher and give Succession another chance, so at least I have that to look forward to.
    i am really​ surprised you're not enjoying watchmen. care to head over to the thread and discuss why? i'm really curious to hear your thoughts!

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Edit: Oh. I just re-read what you wrote and saw that you asked me to come over to the Watchmen thread. Heh. Sorry. Copy/pasted it over there instead.
    Last edited by theruiner; 12-11-2019 at 01:26 AM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I'm suddenly hooked on The Masked Singer. Interesting to see these celebrities having some amazing voices!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Silicon Valley has just not been very good.
    Silicon Valley was very good, one of the funniest shows on TV.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just watched Looper for only the second time ever. i saw it in the theater and absolutely loved it (i'm an unapologetic rian johnson fan), bought it on blu-ray when it first came out...and then forgot about it until tonight. it's so fucking good​ on all counts. holy shit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Come Fly with Me, recommended by coworker after I mentioned Monty Pythons and Little Britain and it's completely stupid, I love it. :-D

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I’ve been watching Schitt’s Creek. I knew I’d laugh but I had no idea I’d cry. I heart David so much.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I’ve been watching Schitt’s Creek. I knew I’d laugh but I had no idea I’d cry. I heart David so much.

don't know how far you are (not really any big spoilers in here) but this cracks me up every time i watch it

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    These past two weeks:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So I saw the new Malick, « A Hidden Life ». It’s wonderful. Honestly I don’t know much about him, I have to speed up my game and watch all his films quick, but from what I’ve heard from his few previous film of his recent era (that they were not too good), and how great this new film is and how much I was touched by it, this might be a turn for him.

Never has a 3 hours movie flew by so fast. It never ends, you just witness a story fly by, piece by piece. An important discussion isn’t a 10min scene, it’s those 10sec that mark the pause at the end of it. Because we know what they talked about, we know what is necessary, and only remains the emotion, that is vividly shown to us by this very careful and delicate cut.

Anyway, it’s great. Go watch it.