Page 138 of 154 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,140 of 4619

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    That is so awesome to see. It's so well done that I bet one of those AI clean-up programs could do a number on it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Anybody catch Psycho Goreman? I liked it. It wasn't quite as funny as i thought it would be but i still had a chuckle here and there.
    Last edited by Demogorgon; 02-09-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Anybody catch Psycho Goreman? I liked it. It wasn't quite as funny as i thought it would be but i still had a chuckled here and there.
    not yet but i'm excited for it. i love The Void (and Manborg is fucking ridiculous if you can find it) so i'm a fan of the director in general.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    We're halfway through The Great and it's so ridiculously fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Anybody catch Psycho Goreman? I liked it. It wasn't quite as funny as i thought it would be but i still had a chuckled here and there.
    as soon as we're done with The Great we'll watch it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Watched this last night. A modern take on Lord of the Flies, with a tip of the hat to Apocalypse Now and shades of Malick. Mica Levi did an amazing job with the music.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's a Sin is a must-watch in 2021. Out in the UK now, coming to the USA next week:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    even though i own it on DVD, pushing daisies is on HBOMAX so i'm rewatching it, laying in bed tonight. feeling pretty low. definitely one of my comfort shows.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

Watched this last night. A modern take on Lord of the Flies, with a tip of the hat to Apocalypse Now and shades of Malick. Mica Levi did an amazing job with the music.
    Saw this alone on an extended lunch break back when life in the world existed. I had no idea where it was going and I really liked it. That one kid who is in a few more mainstream US stuff was acting his ass off. Beautifully shot.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Watched this AMAZING documentary on the female pioneers of electronic music. A must watch.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched District 9 this weekend. Two things I didn't realize going into it:

1) there is a lot of body horror going on.
    2) my son cannot handle body horror at all. he nearly chipped a tooth at one point because of the visceral reaction he had to what was happening on screen while at the same time trying to take a drink.

So I guess The Fly / The Thing / etc. are off the list for the foreseeable future. :/

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @allegate , omg, I LOVED District 9. It was insanely powerful for me. The scene I remember most is when the man was forced to test the weapon on the prawn.

SO. I posted this one in the conspiracy thread, because I think that's where we discussed it, but, I wanna post it here, too: there is a four hour docuseries about the Elisa Lam case on Netflix. I think it's called Crime Scene: Disappearance at the Cecil Hotel. It's fucking great. It's everything you ever wanted to know about that story and more. They interviewed the hotel manager, the detectives, hotel staff, people who were staying there at the time, some poor bastard who had a fledgling black metal career going and got blamed for killing her, conspiracy youtubers- I mean, they went all out with this shit.
    @Exocet @Archive_Reports @Baphomette @Erneuert @marodi @Jinsai
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-18-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    @elevenism I would love to watch that doc but I don't have Netflix. Too many steaming sites, too little monies...

There are still a lot left unexplained about the case of Elisa Lam, like how she ended up in that water tank. And the Cecil is creepy in itself too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @allegate , omg, I LOVED District 9. It was insanely powerful for me. The scene I remember most is when the man was forced to test the weapon on the prawn.

SO. I posted this one in the conspiracy thread, because I think that's where we discussed it, but, I wanna post it here, too: there is a four hour docuseries about the Elisa Lam case on Netflix. I think it's called Crime Scene: Disappearance at the Cecil Hotel. It's fucking great. It's everything you ever wanted to know about that story and more. They interviewed the hotel manager, the detectives, hotel staff, people who were staying there at the time, some poor bastard who had a fledgling black metal career going and got blamed for killing her, conspiracy youtubers- I mean, they went all out with this shit.
    @Exocet @Archive_Reports @Baphomette @Erneuert @marodi @Jinsai
    Started but haven't finished. Original footage is fascinating.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I watched the Cecil Hotel doc. I actually used to live right down the street from that place.
    It's really intriguing and spooky, and thenSpoiler: it just anticlimactically debunks everything in a really unsatisfying way, but it's still a good watch for sure.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Judas & the Black Messiah was excellent, highlighted by incredible (award nominee worthy) performances by both leads, as well as superb cinematography that really enhances what is mostly a straightforward approach (but still good) to a biopic. Also highly recommended simply for learning the story of Fred Hampton and the BPP if you don't know it already.

The Little Things gives off those strooooong Seven vibes & doesn't hit those lofty heights, but is still worth watching. Denzel is Denzel...guy can't help but elevate everything he's in. Ending might not sit well with you. It didn't exactly land for me.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I watched the Cecil Hotel doc. I actually used to live right down the street from that place.
    It's really intriguing and spooky, and thenSpoiler: it just anticlimactically debunks everything in a really unsatisfying way, but it's still a good watch for sure.
    I don't think it does what you said in the spoiler text.
    I still have my own theory.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I don't think it does what you said in the spoiler text.
    I still have my own theory.
    I mean, right form the start if they'd told you that Spoiler: the bottom middle button on the elevator holds the doors for two minutes, that would explain away the mystery of the unclosing elevator doors. Then they reveal at the end that the entrance port to the water tower reservoir was actually left uncovered it strips away all the mystery of "how did she pull the 20 lb cover back on?" Then "why was she acting weird" is answered pretty clearly when she reveals that she's been diagnosed with some form of bi-polar depression and she's decided to not take her medication.

It seems pretty cut and dry there. What is your theory?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-19-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It seems pretty cut and dry there.
    ...and this is why I didn't bother to watch it in the first place; knowing the story already and confident in the obviousness of what actually happened.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Hunt was very enjoyable.
    Action, Thriller, Horror, Political Satire.
    A Lean 90 minute ride.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I mean, right form the start if they'd told you that Spoiler: the bottom middle button on the elevator holds the doors for two minutes, that would explain away the mystery of the unclosing elevator doors. Then they reveal at the end that the entrance port to the water tower reservoir was actually left uncovered it strips away all the mystery of "how did she pull the 20 lb cover back on?" Then "why was she acting weird" is answered pretty clearly when she reveals that she's been diagnosed with some form of bi-polar depression and she's decided to not take her medication.

It seems pretty cut and dry there. What is your theory?
    how do we know that worker is telling the truth?

If the LAPD is right about that issue, I still think the same thing I've thought for a few years: some grim bastard lured her up there. They started fucking around (on the white part of the building: the same way i figured she got down there in 2015.) He convinces her that it would be really sexy to go skinny dipping, gets her to jump in the tank, and, shuts the lid.
    Otherwise, yeah, case closed, hinging on that one detail.
    There is one other thing, though: the fucking synchronicities: the TB test/outbreak, the movie, the mailing address of the bookstore, the NAME of the bookstore, etc
    I'm not saying that a "ghost" or "evil spirit" caused this to happen. But, I do think that places can become almost like, vortexes or repositories of darkness. I think if there's enough suffering in a place, it can sort of leave a metaphysical remnant: almost like the place "remembers." I swear to god my own house is like that. A lot of people have died either young or in misery- some of them IN the house, and others outside, but who lived here at the time.
    And, I think such places...I think they can fuck with people's heads, or, even like, express themselves, through synchronicity and such. I know this might sound a little crazy, but for me, it's sort of a "ghost story," no matter how you slice it.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Oh, hey.

Also, Nomadland was pretty damned good, about people who choose to.be drifters. It's one of those where a whole hell of a lot of it seems VERY real and possibly unscripted.

And I dug the new Tom Hanks movie, News of the World. It's a sort of western, with GORGEOUS shots of what's meant to be 1860's Texas. @marodi , you'll definitely adore it

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Watched "I Care Alot" yesterday, fucking good. Rosamund Pike is fantastic in this (as she is in everything she does).

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    THIS dude cracks me up. It's antimaskers, people with a TINY bit of power treating people without masks like they're hardened criminals, blatant racism: basically what it says on the tin- it's people going viral for doing and saying really absurdly stupid shit. I suggest backtracking to parts 1 through 4, if you like this one.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Watched Brain Candy for the first time since it hit the home market... while I won't say it's a good movie, I think it's worth watching.

(the trailer doesn't help prepare the viewer for the movie... )
    Last edited by MrLobster; 02-23-2021 at 06:23 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Watched Brain Candy for the first time since it hit the home market... while I won't say it's a good movie, I think it's worth watching.

(the trailer doesn't help prepare the viewer for the movie... )
    killer soundtrack. i was OBSESSED with TMBG's "the spiraling shape" and so mad it didn't come out on an actual TMBG album for a couple years (Factory Showroom).

•••

i'd been rewatching New Girl as my comfort/background show and i got to the crossover episode with Brooklyn Nine Nine, so i decided to switch over and rewatch that. i've been having trouble actually laughing at things because i feel like such shit but it's still nice to have something on that doesn't make me sad.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    We watched “On The Rocks” with Bill Murray and Rashida Jones, directed by Sophia Coppola (Apple+). We liked it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    killer soundtrack. i was OBSESSED with TMBG's "the spiraling shape" and so mad it didn't come out on an actual TMBG album for a couple years (Factory Showroom).

•••

i'd been rewatching New Girl as my comfort/background show and i got to the crossover episode with Brooklyn Nine Nine, so i decided to switch over and rewatch that. i've been having trouble actually laughing at things because i feel like such shit but it's still nice to have something on that doesn't make me sad.
    TMBG? Oh, I don't know.
    Watched "I Kill Giants" the other day and couldn't shake the feeling that I had already seen the movie because so many of the beats felt familiar. Randomly today I happen upon the wiki article for "A Monster Calls" and...huh, I guess what's why it seemed so familiar.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    “Jimmy Carter: Rock n Roll President”

MAN, this is good. Highly recommended.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched "In and Of Itself" because of a lot of breathless recommendations.

I guess I don't get it?

I just read a couple different "analyses" of the show and I'm pretty sure they don't either, but they don't want to be the "emperor with no clothes" person and say 'oh well it's to be seen to be believed, trust me" and I don't like that at all. One of the articles is titled The Magic In Derek DelGaudio's 'In & Of Itself,' Explained and you know what? they don't explain it.
    But really, knowing how he does the tricks isn't the point. In & Of Itself uses magic more to get us to look at ourselves, look at each other, and understanding that, is the whole point of the show itself.
    I'm not looking for an explanation of the magic, btw, I just find it hilarious that that article was written at all and someone got paid for it.

Which isn't to say I didn't like it. There was a part of it that I appreciated greatly and it's about using the audience to tell a story of the show that might be and not the show that is. It's something that I hope is produced eventually.

There's another part and it's emotional and very moving, loved that part as well.

It's just a lot of other parts where I guess I need to think about it more.

There was a part that I didn't like at all but it's literally at the end of the show and so I can't talk about it. It just seemed too...real? literal?...for what the show was trying to do otherwise.

edit: it's difficult to read this the day after because it doesn't make sense unless you've seen it. and I can't go into specifics because the film is about the experience and I tried to stay true to that. argh.
    Last edited by allegate; 03-02-2021 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    watched Ken Russell's "The Devils" tonight and...holy fuck. my friend hooked me up with the uncut version (the standard version is up on shudder now) and i'm glad because it definitely has more impact (based on what i read about the cuts made). anyway, very upsetting but very worth watching. an absolutely incredible piece of filmmaking.

also oliver reed looks like jemaine clement in the movie and hubba hubba