Page 141 of 154 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 151 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,230 of 4618

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Sweet Tooth was wonderful. Now for the long wait for season 2...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    On the last episode of Invincible. I know how it ends, the memes are everywhere, but it oddly doesn't matter because the "how you get there" is pretty compelling. Just about the only thing I would critique is the oft-repeated "I get it" that I seem to only hear in media. I don't really hear anyone else use that phrase other than in movies and television. It annoys me every time because that phrase is used most frequently to preface a bit of exposition or explanation of internal motivations that you can't show on a screen.

Otherwise it's been great. The cast is amazing - Jason Mantzoukas is the secret best casting - and it's up and down the line great. I can't speak to the differences because I haven't read the book yet but after a few interviews I heard with Robert Kirkman I know about them. Eight episodes vs. several books and you have to cut / shrink things.

"the pitfall is that it makes these opening episodes a little weaker; there are so many characters happening here, so many story threads to put in place, that it's hard to know what to invest in as a viewer."
    I don't know what this means. You invest in the show and the stories it gives you when you watch it....soooo...what? Critics are the worst.
    Last edited by allegate; 06-07-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Sweet Tooth was wonderful. Now for the long wait for season 2...
    read the comic! You will not be disappointed and it's only like 60 issues total I think.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Clarkson's Farm. I know Jeremy Clarkson is a dickhead, but this show is great.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Kid Detective is a good watch.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    it really really is. it's also a gut punch to all of those gifted kids who ended up coasting through the important years of their life instead of learning actual study skills to help with college. also helicopter parents.

Sophie is the little girl from The Book Thief, another movie she was excellent in.

the episode is probably locked by now but Adam was on Smodcast with the director / writer and it's a good listen.

Last edited by allegate; 06-15-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

Decided to re-watch this this morning...
    watched it earlier this week and my son thoroughly enjoyed it. Pretty good film overall.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    watched it earlier this week and my son thoroughly enjoyed it. Pretty good film overall.
    Nice! I mean, yeah, it does come off a bit too shiny and new but there's a lot of heart in it.

(and depending on how much you know about Montreal class and ethnic history, may depend on how much of the Canadian humour you accessible)

Have you watched "Rhymes for Young Ghouls"?
    Last edited by MrLobster; 06-18-2021 at 03:40 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I've not seen anyone talking about this anywhere, and didn't know the film existed until seeing it in the TV guide...

...In which Evan Rachel Wood is born into a family of scam artists who are incapable of genuinely benevolent feeling. Even her own name (Old Dolio) is a remnant from an attempted grift, and she's left completely unaware of any tenderness or happiness in the world, afraid to even be touched. It's like a character study of the people you read about who were raised in cults. It's really smartly written, lots of subtext and foreshadowing; I thought it was the best new film I've seen over the last year.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I just watched Ed Wood again, and I'll just say that ranks in my top ten movies of all time. It's just genius. You can point out a ton of examples where who knows wtf was going on w/ Tim Burton, but that movie is a masterpiece. It's overloaded with memorable scenes that are tragic and hilarious at the same time. I'm not going to say something dumb like "that might be my favorite movie of all time," but for right now, it is.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I've been getting into Babylon 5, first time watching.

Only about half-way through season 1 so far but it's coming along, the show definitely has a video game FMV budget but it's got character.

I actually like that it reminds me of a PC game like Wing Commander or something, it's cool.

Damn sad that most of the principle cast members have passed away, especially for a show which isn't THAT old compared to something like OG Star Trek from the 60s.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Iron Mask, aka Viy 2: Journey to China aka Journey to China: The Mystery of Iron Mask aka The Mystery of Dragon Seal aka The Dragon Seal.

A joint Russian/Chinese production, you can be sure that the $48million budget was laundered very well. if you look at that box art and think 'wow my third grade self would be in love with this' you're not alone. however, the problem is the writing, the pacing, the dubbing - the 'good' princess is the same actress as the 'bad' princess but there are times when she's speaking English and it looks like she's actually talking but there are other times when she must be speaking Chinese because the lips don't match at all - the direction, the CGI...seriously, even the cameos of Rutger Hauer and Charles Dance you're left wondering, to borrow from Michael Caine, "how many pools do you need?"

The guy who plays Peter the Great sounds like they got Norm McDonald to dub his lines. It actually makes the film a little better if you keep that thought in mind, but it's ruined as well because even Norm would have better line reads than this guy.

If you see this on purpose you should have some friends around. it's not going to make it better but it might make it bearable.

by the by, I did not know it was a sequel because the box art doesn't mention the 2 part at all. from what I can tell from reviews and having watched it? that's not going to impact your understanding of the story at all.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Finally got a chance to see Saint Maud.
    I loved it enough to watch it twice in one day.
    Writer/director Rose Glass knocked this one out of the park. I can't wait to see what she does next.

Character study, psychological horror in the same league as The Witch and Hereditary.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I watched the whole “The Underground Railroad” series (Amazon) over the weekend. I really liked it. I think it did a pretty good job of interpreting the book. It strayed from the book sometimes, but in good ways.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I really wanted to watch that but the last year has made that kind of show almost tedious. well not tedious like boring but like "the real world is bad enough do we really need to feel worse?"

Glad to hear it's good, I'll probably watch it by myself sometime so as to not inflict that on the others.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Underground Railroad is a real nail-biter! Really suspenseful! I binge-watched it because I couldn’t stop watching it!!
    Last edited by allegro; 07-05-2021 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

two thumbs way up

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Godzilla vs Kong.

This movie is about a dick measuring contest between Gojira, King of the Kaiju, and Kong, King of... an island? Anyway. There's also a silly man who wants to enter because he believes men must have the biggest dicks of all, so he builds a Jaeger.

For some reasons, Gojira is very much against Jaegers, so the stupid hooman sends Tarzan, King of the Jungle, to Hollow Earth with Kong. In there, Kong finds Stormbreaker and quickly use it to fight Gojira.

So there's punching and scratching and roaring in each other's face until the Jaeger enters the fight and there's more punching and scratching and roaring and thrashing around.

There are some humans in the movie, aside the idiot Jaeger maker, but they're not really useful except for an adorable deaf Iwi little girl. She's the best.

The end.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Finished Snowpiercer S2. Much better than S1, mainly because of Sean Bean. Also, @allegro , Mickey Sumner kicked a lot of ass as usual.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Summer of Soul. Excellent film!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

It's a pabulum of a film but the twist in it - it's not even a twist, really, but more of a wtaf moment - is the craziest thing I've seen. literally bonkers and it doesn't make a lick of sense.

Wild Mountain Thyme, the new film from Oscar winner John Patrick Shanley, has been savaged in reviews.

Set in the present day but bizarrely looking and sounding like the 1980s and the 1950s, the movie has been criticised for being a storm of stereotypes and clichés, as well as containing some poor attempts at Irish accents, including from Northern Irish actor Jamie Dornan.

But the craziest thing about this film is the ending, in which Dornan's character Andrew admits Spoiler: to thinking he's a bee. We are not even joking.
    They single out Jamie Dornan when Christopher Walken is right there? I mean I get the idea of laughing at the Irish accent of an Irishman but it wasn't that bad. Hell, you want to do that and every one of the principle actors would get a lashing.

The film was only released on DVD on February 2, 2021 with no Blu-ray or 4K UHD format released.
    The DVD looked like a VHS tape and Ireland looked like a blurry mess. And you can certainly tell that it used to be a play because there are scenes that look and sound like they came from a stage production that needs to reach everyone.

Also watched Tag and Dr. Strangelove while camping. Tag was funny and not nearly as terrible as reviews made it sound and Dr. Strangelove was a product of its time. It was OK. I will probably need to read more about it to figure out why the 'jokes' were actually funny instead of how serious the whole thing sounded.
    Last edited by allegate; 07-07-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Can't wait for this season.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Want to watch something odd?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Have any of you watched The White Lotus yet? I think it's fantastic.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching "Wrath of Man"... I enjoyed it. Eastwood's son looks like a de-aged and healthy version of his dad. Some twists and turns along the way to keep the story moving but overall, I mean, it's in the title of the movie, isn't it? So... not exactly a surprise ending.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Have any of you watched The White Lotus yet? I think it's fantastic.
    Quoting myself, also ran through Hacks in about two days. Loved it!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    who remembers this…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro