Page 148 of 148 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 146 147 148
Results 4,411 to 4,419 of 4419

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @burnmotherfucker! I highly, highly recommend Dogville, which my wife and i thought was just a triumph of experimental cinema, Anti-Christ, which is nowhere near as disturbing as people say it is imho and also just a fucking unusual, brilliant character study, and Melancholia, which we found to be utterly beautiful. Have you seen any of those?

Nymphomaniac(the title of which I can only hear in the Rammstein voice)
    was interesting, at least, but probably my least favorite, too. I'd still recommend it to someone who is bored with conventional cinema...all FIVE hours of it.

I'm a BIG horror fan, don't get me wrong. Have you seen The Poughkeepsie Tapes, though? That movie, and what von trier did with NYM-PHO-MAHNIAC, make me scared to watch The House That Jack Built.

Edit: you know what I mean? Like, coming off of Nymphomaniac, I just have a really strong feeling that I know EXACTLY what old Lars does with THTJB.
    Gore doesn't bother me much. But I don't like people begging for their lives very much, or like, seeing the psychological aftermath of violence.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes made me feel REALLY guilty for being a true crime fan.
    So, Dogville has been on my to-watch list for a long time and I swear one of these days I'll get around to it. I'm interested. I've seen both AntiChrist and Melanchoila and I loved both of them. I agree with you about Anti-christ. I thought Melanchoila was a slog to get through the first half of the film (and I think that is intentional). And I loved the way that movie concluded. Trust me, House that Jack Built is every bit as good as those two films. In fact, if you like them I would call it required viewing. It is layered. It is a commentary on art and on Von Trier's work as a whole.

Knowing how you feel about those other films makes me interested how you'd see it. Anti-christ/Melancholia by way of American Psycho. And Matt Dillon should have won an Oscar for his performance. It's also a film that you are sure you know where it's going and what it is saying. And then it takes you to places you do not see coming.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 05-08-2022 at 01:51 AM.

Mentioned
    637 Post(s)
    @burnmotherfucker! alright, I'll get it.

The crazy thing about Dogville is that there isn't hardly any scenery. The houses and such in the eponymous town are just chalk drawings on the floor, with big, written labels denoting what they're supposed to be.

The fact that you forget about that aspect fairly rapidly, and become engaged in the story: that's just a weird ass triumph in and of itself. And it's a pretty damn good story, with a damn fine cast.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Just finished the last season of Shameless, and cannot say I am thrilled. Spoiler: Apparently they were planning on having Fiona in the finale, but covid messed that up and we got this instead. Seems like they didn't know how to end things, with acting as if none of them would care if Frank died which didn't sit well with me, nor made much sense. The callback to Patsy's where Frank looking for Fiona, the scene from the pilot, and him calling the nurse Fiona, that was kind of a tear jerker. An incredibly disappointing ending from one of my favorite shows.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Just finished the last season of Shameless, and cannot say I am thrilled. Spoiler: Apparently they were planning on having Fiona in the finale, but covid messed that up and we got this instead. Seems like they didn't know how to end things, with acting as if none of them would care if Frank died which didn't sit well with me, nor made much sense. The callback to Patsy's where Frank looking for Fiona, the scene from the pilot, and him calling the nurse Fiona, that was kind of a tear jerker. An incredibly disappointing ending from one of my favorite shows.
    Damn, that is disappointing. I got off the train a few seasons ago but it was a good show. I hate it when a good show is ruined by behind the scenes stuff like cast members or writers leaving.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Shameless was incredibly entertaining when all of the family was around (Emily Rossum). She should've won more Emmy's (no pun intended).

https://deadline.com/2021/10/shamele...um-1234855751/

They said it was originally due to Covid, but obviously there was some other stuff going on.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Shameless was incredibly entertaining when all of the family was around (Emily Rossum). She should've won more Emmy's (no pun intended).

https://deadline.com/2021/10/shamele...um-1234855751/

They said it was originally due to Covid, but obviously there was some other stuff going on.
    Yeaa, I read a few articles last night and it seems she was turning into greed mode with wanting the same pay as William H. Macy.

There were glimpses of what the show used to be, but the characters turned into nothing but a social commentary machine, and were written into the ground. Ian and Mickey were the only real enjoyable characters (and my favorites) but to see a show I adored turn into what it has, it was pretty sad.

Mentioned
    637 Post(s)
    Finally got around to watching The Spine of Night, and ZOMG. This thing wears its influences boldly, proudly and insanely blatantly, on its sleeve.

Those influences are the late seventies/early eighties, adult oriented US animated features like Fire and Ice, Heavy Metal, American Pop, Wizards, Lord of the Rings: i loved watching and rewatching stuff like that when i was twelve or thirteen, smoking dirt weed and sneaking cigarettes.

Not only does The Spine of Night do justice to those old movies, i'd argue that it's kind of BETTER. I know that may sound like heresy, if you're into that old stuff. But remember: i am, too.

Oh. Also, it's NOT a horror movie (unless Heavy Metal is, too).
    It's a "we're uninformed critics and don't know what box to put this in" movie.

It's rotoscoped dark fantasy.

I NEVER smoke weed, but i had to have a couple of tiny, tiny hits for THIS thing. Getcha' pull and give this thing a shot. It's WAY better than i thought it'd be, and i hope to GOD we get more like this.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Finally after 66 years, Ilya Muromets in its complete form. 100,000 extras, dragons, crazy Tugars... when I was younger, this film didn't seem real to me. It feels great to own a non-bootleg version.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Watched "Everything Everywhere All at Once" and it was amazing. If you get a chance to see this in the theater you should definitely take it, you (probably) won't regret it.

It's a film from the same people who brought you "Swiss Army Man" so expect some absurdity. I mean, there's no way you can see this film and not say WTAF at least five times.

Raccacoonie alone is worth the price of admission.
    Last edited by allegate; 05-16-2022 at 01:46 PM.