Page 137 of 154 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 4618

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    WW84 was godawful.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    we watched Soul last night and it was absolutely lovely. loved hearing so many actors i like in roles that didn't just feel like cameos, but for which they were perfectly suited. the jazz was incredible. TR&AR's score was so different and so lovely. and that cat was adorable. perfect balance of humor & heart, and didn't completely wreck me the way inside out did. can't wait to see what pixar does next.

p.s. oh, and watch the extras that are on disney+, there's some great stuff in there.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I've missed watching extras since everything we watch is on streaming or from the library and those are usually the 'rental' version and the studios don't put anything on those versions.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I've missed watching extras since everything we watch is on streaming or from the library and those are usually the 'rental' version and the studios don't put anything on those versions.
    yeah i'm really glad d+ has them for so many things. it seems easy enough to integrate, i wish netflix/hulu/etc. would do the same.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Death to 2020. It's a mockumentary about the year by the makers of Black Mirror. It had several good laughs. I enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So that's what Charlie Brooker's been working on. I gotta check it out, always loved his Wipe's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man, 'Death to 2020' is bad.

I don't know how they managed to make something that is essentially a format he has mastered with the "Wipe" shows and make it so unfunny.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    So that's what Charlie Brooker's been working on. I gotta check it out, always loved his Wipe's.
    It's not a patch on the Wipes. The pandemic special he made for the BBC this year was much better, IMHO.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchymagpie View Post
    Man, 'Death to 2020' is bad.

I don't know how they managed to make something that is essentially a format he has mastered with the "Wipe" shows and make it so unfunny.

I mean, you take something and make it American and it can happen. Look at the American version of The IT Crowd.

Side note: my finger slipped and I wrote "The IT Crown" and now I want that mashup show with Moss and Roy and Claire Foy as Jen and Matt Smith can be Reynholm.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchymagpie View Post
    It's not a patch on the Wipes. The pandemic special he made for the BBC this year was much better, IMHO.
    OK, then I need to tor...find that one. Unless it's available somewhere stateside?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wolfwalkers, the best movie I've seen this year, easily.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I might watch Jojo Rabbit again tonight. Loved it when I saw it three times at the cinema and it's been my go-to "pick me up" movie this year and I'm definitely going to need it tonight.

(my area went into Tier 4 at midnight)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    SYFY channel is doing a twilight zone marathon! i feel like a kid again! we're definitely gonna have this on all day.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://watch.opb.org/show/hacking-your-mind/

Follow host, Jacob Ward, (The TODAY Show), from the farthest corners of the globe to the inside of your mind as he sets out to discover we are not who we think we are. We imagine our conscious minds make most decisions, but in reality we go through much of our lives on “autopilot”. And marketers and social media companies rely on it. Hacking Your Mind offers you an autopilot owner’s manual.
    It's kind of silly to put it in here but it's what I watched. I saw it on DVD but it's available - I think? - for streaming above. It's pretty interesting - if also a little repetitive because the same info can be found in multiple shows - but it does a really good job talking about how people can get hoodwinked by technology. At any rate, it's kind of eye-opening to see how people can view things differently.

I don't know when it was filmed because it has no mention of masks but does have George Floyd's death in it, so that must have been one of the last things they filmed for it.

It's a little smug at parts but the basic message is well done if you have four hours to spare.

The thing that I appreciated the most was it took the time to explain why one person being affected by something is different internally than the same thing happening to a group of people. So, for example, an abortion for a family member of a pro-life person isn't as bad as all those other people getting abortions because "she's a nice girl and this didn't have to happen to her." Or that rape shouldn't be a mark on this boy's life because "it's just one bad decision, he's got his whole life ahead of him". That kind of thing. Or at least that's how I was viewing that part of the program.

You know, basic human rights that only matter when it affects them.
    Last edited by allegate; 01-04-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tonight is Alex Trebek's last taped episode of Jeopardy before he passed :-(

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I just watched Bicycle Thieves for the first time (I know, I know) and holy crap, what a brutal and heartbreaking film. The last 15 minutes were spectacular. I feel like I may need to watch it again at some point now that I know the ending, I feel like it would probably hit way different the second time now that I know where it's going.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I watched a movie called She-Creature the other day. It's basically a b-movie, but it's made to look like a classic horror movie, features Rufus Sewell and Carla Gugino in leading roles and has involvement from Stan Winston of some sort, probably creature design. The effects are mostly practical with the "endboss" creature looking like a combination of the alien queen from Aliens and some sort of evil Gremlin.

The story goes like this: a showman couple (Sewell and Gugino) are presented with a real mermaid that is held in a closed tank for killing the wife of a seaman. For whatever reason they take her on a cruise (we're talking early 20th century here), where everything goes downhill in typical horror movie fashion. A few seamen disappear or get killed by the creature one after the other, Sewell won't kill her tho, because she'll earn them money as an attraction later and so on. Until they eventually realize where they're going is exactly where the creature wanted them to. So...

Gugino is the real star here, her performance was great. Sewell was also very entertaining.
    I'm glad I gave it a chance. The setting isn't something you see very often and the sometimes laughable effects I was able to ignore. Good flick.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I watched a movie called She-Creature the other day. It's basically a b-movie, but it's made to look like a classic horror movie, features Rufus Sewell and Carla Gugino in leading roles and has involvement from Stan Winston of some sort, probably creature design. The effects are mostly practical with the "endboss" creature looking like a combination of the alien queen from Aliens and some sort of evil Gremlin.

The story goes like this: a showman couple (Sewell and Gugino) are presented with a real mermaid that is held in a closed tank for killing the wife of a seaman. For whatever reason they take her on a cruise (we're talking early 20th century here), where everything goes downhill in typical horror movie fashion. A few seamen disappear or get killed by the creature one after the other, Sewell won't kill her tho, because she'll earn them money as an attraction later and so on. Until they eventually realize where they're going is exactly where the creature wanted them to. So...

Gugino is the real star here, her performance was great. Sewell was also very entertaining.
    I'm glad I gave it a chance. The setting isn't something you see very often and the sometimes laughable effects I was able to ignore. Good flick.

for real, though, that sounds awesome and VERY up my alley!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Got through season one of Miracle Workers with the fam and it's still great. We then started up season two and I'm legit surprised it's working as well as it is.

The only thing is in the back of my mind I keep thinking of this one Simon Rich story where the character talks about how liberal they are but then secretly vote Republican because they actually like the economic benefits of their platform better. I can't help but think it's a personal quote, even though he's as old as my baby sister and might be taking the piss from other liberal people. Still, it sticks in my head because of how real it sounds to me for a lot of the liberal crowd who seem to be a lot of talk and very little walk.

Sorry, brought boring politics into the mix.

edit: huh.
    In August 2020, the series was renewed for a third season.
    I wonder what story they'll mine next. the writer's room so has done really well with the over-the-head ideas as well as some more subversive* ones that I'm surprised made it on screen.

*for TBS, I mean come on.
    Last edited by allegate; 01-12-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I watch old films with my wife: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Gone with the Wind, Police Academy. I am interested in watching these films on a spotlight. I chose the ViewSonic SVGA High Brightness Projector for my family. Found it in a review of different searchlights [admin edit]on a page I'm paid to promote[/admin edit] and decided to buy. Old films are fun to watch like in open-air cinemas.
    Last edited by KayBur; 01-16-2021 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Gave this a watch... in-depth and accurate but also reminded me why I never really wanted to be with them.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Powerful.

...and let's just say that profit should never be a health care motivation.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 01-17-2021 at 02:17 PM.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    It's been a great weekend for movies.

First, I watched Another Round yesterday and absolutely loved it. While the premise didn't sound all that interesting to me, I had heard so much good stuff about it that I decided to give it a chance and I'm really glad I did. I thought it was my favorite movie of 2020 until...

...until I watched Soul. Wow. Favorite movie of 2020, by far. I was not expecting that. What an incredibly beautiful, moving, wonderful film. I had tears streaming down my face a couple different times, which isn't surprising considering it's Pixar. But yeah. Best movie of 2020 imho and one of the best Pixar movies period. I absolutely loved it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    FALLING. Saw this a few weeks ago and somehow it stayed with me, that's how I know I really liked something. :-)

Also Lance Henriksen reminded me how I loved Millennium (1996) so now I plan to watch all that, I already started with documentary "Millennium After the Millennium" (very good).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Time Team Classics -- do you like European history, specifically the western islands side of things? Well, this series is right up your alley. Seems to be legit YouTube uploads, so no worries about feeling bad for watching. Personally, I rather like it... even if Tony likes to press people's buttons (and sometimes gets his pushed right back).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm watching RailCowGirl YouTube streams, what more do you need, right? :-)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I'm watching RailCowGirl YouTube streams, what more do you need, right? :-)
    Mute it, play chill out music, make full screen, maybe just smoke ten or twelve bowls of the leafy green goodness... maybe. Maybe.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Bought a 4K Blu-ray player to go with my new TV. I've been rewatching a lot of movies in the UHD format since. Recently revisited Black Hawk Down, which looked great but I was surprised to see that the regular Blu-ray it came with looked very nearly as good.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

It's billed as a comedy but it's definitely a black comedy. The story goes some places for sure but the film is very well done. Rented it but I'm thinking of buying it to watch again.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I watched The Little Things. Denzel, Rami Malek and Jared Leto crime thriller.

Supposed to be a throwback to 90s movies like Se7en, however nowhere near as good. The ending SUCKED, decent performances by the actors though.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)