Page 132 of 154 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 142 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 4613

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was imagining that the whole time. I also made a point to tell my son about how the whole thing was shot practical since there wasn't any CGI back then.

And the shots, yeah. So amazing.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching "The Old Guard" ... it's typical... nothing particular good or bad to say about it (I'm unfamiliar with comic), but if you like Theron in her action mode, then this will certainly do that.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    watched Muppets From Space tonight for the first time since i saw it in the theater 21 years ago (wow). sarah had never seen it.

it wasn't bad, but it didn't really feel like a muppet movie. only about 50% of the jokes landed. the music was great (all funk) but didn't fit the ton of the movie. jeffrey tambor (who i already have trouble watching in things since all his bullshit went down) either needed to ham it up way more or play it super straight, but he does this weird in-between thing and just comes off as unsettling.

2.5 out of 5 stars for me. definitely my least favorite of the muppet movies.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So we watched this new Tom Hanks WWII thing called Greyhound, and I REALLY wanted to like it, but it just... It's a LOT of shots of the ocean and warships, and it just looks like a video game to me.

Aside from that, I suppose it's alright. Idk. I think it got its 75% rotten tomatoes score from critics saying, "well, yeeeeah, but it's fucking Tom Hanks."

That's my review of it. It doesn't matter that it's on the low side of average because it features Tom Hanks.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite movie of all time. My biggest dream is to once be able to see it in a movie theater. Or IMAX. Can you imagine how it would look in IMAX?

Such a masterpiece.
    I saw a road show version in 70mm. Absolutely magnificent. The theater was equipped with the proper screen for that. 1 of my faves, too. David Lean was a master of that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I saw a road show version in 70mm. Absolutely magnificent. The theater was equipped with the proper screen for that. 1 of my faves, too. David Lean was a master of that sort of thing.
    I can't even express how much I'd love to see Lawrence of Arabia and Ben-Hur in 70mm. I think Ben-Hur was filmed in 65mm, but yeah.

Also, The Ten Commandments, if that's one they did VistaVision to 70mm for.

@elevenism that's a shame about Greyhound. I literally told my wife I'd see it because it's Tom Hanks in a WWII movie; guess that's a common sentiment.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    My friends, we are unworthy of Tom Hanks and even if his next movie is the worst one ever made, I'd still watch it.

Last night I watched Showbiz Kids on HBO. It's a documentary made by Alex Winter; yes, the lesser famous half of Bill and Ted and a former child actor himself. I highly recommend it but it's a very eye opening watch. And immensely depressing. I just want to hug Wil Wheaton, Evan Rachel Wood, Milla Jovovich and Henry Thomas.

And poor Baby Peggy: "At that time, Hollywood believed that kids were elastic". Jesus H. Christ on a cracker.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    back on my late-night horror movie watches.

did the beach house on monday (my review is very spoilery), the autopsy of jane doe on tuesday (really, really good), and sinister last night (finished it today, also a spoilery review).

i started "beyond the black rainbow" tonight but it's over two hours long and my brain hurts so i'm going to finish it tomorrow night, i think.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    My friends, we are unworthy of Tom Hanks and even if his next movie is the worst one ever made, I'd still watch it.
    No doubt. I also feel like I should add that my wife liked it (greyhound,) just fine, and told me I have impossibly high standards for art.

So maybe it's just me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Town gets one thing right a lot of classic action movies seemed never to do, by having the best set piece last. Even Heat, which this takes plenty from, has it's major set piece in the middle of the movie as opposed to the climax. I struggle to call it a great movie because of plot issues aplenty, but for that alone it gets very close.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched Jojo Rabbit last night. When it was good it was great but the bumps it hit were so jarring as to be potholes instead. I cannot wait to see what else we get from the two young boys in the film, they were both pretty great.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I recently watched Vivarium on Prime. I liked it quite a bit, then continued on watching the other films by director Lorcan Finnegan, the feature Without Name, and the short Foxes. All three are on Prime. I thought Without Name was pretty fantastic, and I look forward to future work by this director.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Without Name, eh, @Findus ?

What else is good, in the world of dvd and streaming, in terms of films?

Seriously, guys. I'm dying here.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Watched 7500 last night with my girl starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and it was pretty good. It wasn't anything groundbreaking but I haven't seen a film that kept you inside the cockpit the entire film and it was really affective once the crazy shit starts. The acting is top notch with JGL really making it believable that this is what a high jacking would really look like on a plane.

Also catched Blue Ruin. For fuck sake why wasn't this movie spoken about more? I know it was a limited release but dam, the suspense will make you sweat.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Without Name, eh, @Findus ?

What else is good, in the world of dvd and streaming, in terms of films?

Seriously, guys. I'm dying here.
    I really enjoyed Palm Springs, starring Andy Samberg. On Hulu.
    Also, Lucky, starring Harry Dean Stanton. On Hulu.
    Embrace of the Serpent recently left Hulu. It's a black & white South American adventure. In a way, it reminded me of the Aborigine film Ten Canoes, which can be watched on Kanopy, if you have a library card. I see Ten Canoes is also posted on YouTube.
    Reality by Quentin Dupieux recently left Hulu. I liked it well enough to watch it twice while it was on Hulu, and then I bought the blu-ray...... and then I bought everything else by Quentin Dupieux that I could get my hands on.
    I liked The Mountain, which I think I recently posted about. On Hulu, starring Goldblum.
    On Prime, I recently revisited a movie I hadn't watched since I rented it as a kid. The American title is The Quest, and the Australian title (and Prime title) is Frog Dreaming. It's a fun one, starring Henry Thomas (Elliot from E.T.)

Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Watched 7500 last night with my girl starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and it was pretty good. It wasn't anything groundbreaking but I haven't seen a film that kept you inside the cockpit the entire film and it was really affective once the crazy shit starts. The acting is top notch with JGL really making it believable that this is what a high jacking would really look like on a plane.

Also catched Blue Ruin. For fuck sake why wasn't this movie spoken about more? I know it was a limited release but dam, the suspense will make you sweat.

Blue Ruin is great. I recently watched another film by director Jeremy Saulnier..... Murder Party. Look for that one, if you haven't seen it yet. On Netflix.
    Last edited by Findus; 07-24-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Jesus, y'all.
    Relic is a powerful film. It's off putting, disturbing, visceral, moving and poignant, heart warming in a way, and above all, HUMAN.

It's a horror movie that speaks to human frailty and death and love, that I can't stop thinking about.

It's disturbing enough that I don't wanna see it again though, lolz.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i watched two seasons of Slasher in two days on netflix. 6 episodes one day, 10 episodes the next. (i've been basically incapacitated all week).

i got really frustrated because when i first hit play, it started playing season 3. why the fuck does netflix do that?

anyway, season 1 was great. not groundbreaking, but very enjoyable.

season 2, however, was awful. i am going to mostly spoil it here because no one should watch it. 75% of the characters were unlikable, and they got worse and worse as it went on. one character is sexually assaulted near the end of an episode, so i started to feel bad for him, but in the next episode, you find out that he tried to rape someone 5 years ago which caused her to try to run, fall down a hill, and get her face smashed in by a tree stump. he and the other 4 people (they were all camp counselors) who were with them thought she was dead and were about to hide her body, but she was still alive. so they each took a turn smashing her head in with a rock until she was dead. then they frame another counselor who was a little obsessed with the girl who died, and he goes to prison and hangs himself. his mom is the one who's been killing everyone in present day, but she had been hallucinating her dead son AS A LOVE INTEREST to the point where, right before you find out "he" is the killer, THEY FUCK. and then in the next episode they reveal he's been a hallucination the whole time. the reveal of that, despite the ickiness, was one of the only good parts of the season (other than seeing Christopher Jacot beat the shit out of a homophobe in a flashback scene). otherwise it was just awful.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

That's the full movie. It was very enjoyable. It's a bit naive or quaint at times in terms of the subject matter compared to modern times, but still a great watch. God time capsule feel from a culture perspective too...some Kids vibes going on there. Great to see early work from the two leads as well.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched Knives Out last night. My main praise for the movie is practically a spoiler so I'll just say I enjoyed the pacing and the way the story kept telling you what was going on so you were never lost. Which isn't to say there aren't times when you're lost, just that the movie keeps you engaged because it will give you the answer shortly.

Only complaint is one little nit pick with the denouement, but otherwise it was great. It was shot so well too. I can only imagine what the dark fire-lit scenes would look like on a 4k set because they popped like crazy already.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post

Blue Ruin is great. I recently watched another film by director Jeremy Saulnier..... Murder Party. Look for that one, if you haven't seen it yet. On Netflix.
    Try also Green Room, it is my favorite movie of Saulnier till now. Should be on Netflix too.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    There's a lot on this page to which I'd like to respond, but, I don't wanna put everything in one post.

So I'll just talk about what I've been watching.

I decided to dive into Twilight Zone, despite the mixed reviews, watched all of season 2, and dug the shit out of it. Yes, it's hit and miss, but so are all the iterations of the show. Also, I'd love it if anyone would like to trade notes on the subtext and meaning of the final episode. I've my ideas, but I wonder what you guys think.

I've also dug the new Perry Mason show on HBO. It's BEAUTIFULLY shot- insanely cinematic, I mean, features some great talent, and makes for a compelling story.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    posted this in the horror thread, too:

if you have Shudder (or feel like using a free trial), watch Host.

a perfectly taut 56 minutes with absolutely no filler. i jumped/screamed no less than five times. genuinely terrifying. and the way they did it was incredible.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just watched Vampire's Kiss for the first time and holy shit... I feel like the director a quarter way through just said "Fuck it, Hey Nic! Just do whatever you want and we'll keep shooting... Mmmkay."

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Oh god, they made a doc about Todd? I LOVE Spawn...first comic I ever got really into. And of course his art is amazing, and of course the guys got great stories with all of his ventures. I can't imagine how even bigger his head got from a doc being made about him. The man's ego is already massive.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    the newest episode of Last Week Tonight w/ John Oliver is amazing... episode 20.
    Also worth noting that he's really gotten the hang of doing the show without a live studio audience, which at first was awkward, and still is for a lot of other show hosts it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wrapped up "Dark" on netflix some weeks back an can't recommend it enough. Fantastic surreal / time & space paradoxes show with a well plotted out 3 season arc.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

This scared the piss out of me. Bad idea to watch alone at night after your wife goes to bed when you didn't previously know ANY of the details of the case.

This was almost as terrifying. I struggle with the role identity politics is playing in shaping the current movement against power in this country. I wish it had a smaller role, and I wish the revolution was focused more on class & economic shifts, b/c then racial/sexual/gender inequalities will benefit as well. A rising tide so to speak. But then you watch something like this and you realize how fucked up things are still for many, many oppressed minorities around the world, and how right now at this moment the direct struggle for their literal safety, nevermind rights, must be dealt with at the same time as attacking late stage capitalism.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    watched The Running Man tonight. my first time in over 20 years, sarah's first time ever.

so many amazing one-liners from arnold, a fantastic score, and plenty more to love.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    training day. I hate this movie. husband likes it. tonight he wins. tomorrow night it's Ken burns for at least four hours. or we're re watching paradise lost cause he missed a couple episodes.