Page 133 of 154 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 4618

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa View Post
    training day. I hate this movie. husband likes it. tonight he wins. tomorrow night it's Ken burns for at least four hours. or we're re watching paradise lost cause he missed a couple episodes.
    i can't stand watching something i like with someone who's not enjoying it (ruins the experience for me) and i can't imagine MAKING someone i like sit through something they don't like.

any way you could ask him to watch it without you another time so y'all can watch something together you both enjoy?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Come and See, on the Criterion Channel.

Hard to recommend, as good as it is. It's a truly draining psychedelic look at war that leaves you feeling depleted and hopeless.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    American Hangman. Avoid it all cost, unless you are having a beer party with friends and want to laugh your asses off. It is baffling how bad and unfinished this movie is.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Star Trek: Lower Decks, and it sucks.

Gunsmoke.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i can't stand watching something i like with someone who's not enjoying it (ruins the experience for me) and i can't imagine MAKING someone i like sit through something they don't like.

any way you could ask him to watch it without you another time so y'all can watch something together you both enjoy?
    It's really true... the attitudes and moods of people around you can completely ruin something. I've had it ruin concerts, movies (especially in the theater), especially comedy shows...

And it's really because the communal enjoyment of something is really part of the "live experience" that is missing now... and that's what was potentially good about seeing a comedy movie with someone who is laughing along, or a horror movie where people around you are tense.

It's also hard to not share everything with your significant other. You're always around each other, especially free time. It can be hard to sneak away to watch something, and it can even make you feel resentful if you can't.

Maybe better just to sit through it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa View Post
    training day. I hate this movie. husband likes it. tonight he wins.
    I hope he doesn't make you sit through the TV series adaptation.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

So so so SO good. Noir at its best. I loved every second of it and I'll watch it again. And again.

Things were looking bleak for HBO after the debacle of Game of Thrones final season but they bounced right back with a hat trick: Watchmen, The Outsider and Perry Mason.

It's mad love, my friends.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Come and See, on the Criterion Channel.

Hard to recommend, as good as it is. It's a truly draining psychedelic look at war that leaves you feeling depleted and hopeless.
    I really, really want to watch this. It is at the top of my list right now. Just have to be in the right head space (and also I don't have Criterion at the moment and I burned through my free trial already ugh).

So, I watched Palm Springs recently and really enjoyed it. It wasn't, like, a great or amazing movie or anything but it was a fun little movie, cute, kind of funny, very enjoyable. Worth a watch if you have Hulu.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I really, really want to watch this. It is at the top of my list right now. Just have to be in the right head space (and also I don't have Criterion at the moment and I burned through my free trial already ugh).
    It's very good, and really it isn't shocking in an upsetting way, it just kinda drags it out of you slowly. It's like a magical realism war movie that just slowly beats you up, but it's nothing you can't pause and walk away from. I've really never seen anything like it. I guess the closest thing that comes to mind is Grave of the Fireflies, but that was a very different thing.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-13-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I've really never seen anything like it.
    There's this 2019 movie that sounds like it could be similar. I haven't watched it yet, but it's definitely on my list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Painted_Bird_(film)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The Boys on Amazon Prime. I'd been meaning to check this out for a while. I watched the first episode about a year ago or so, and while I liked it, I just wasn't in the mood for the bleak humor.

I'm binge watching it now, and it's great. There's some authentically shocking stuff in this show too. It's kind of amazing that this got made. It has a huge budget (I'm assuming) and it's one of the grittiest comedies I've seen on a mainstream network.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    13 Reasons Why: Pretentious, melodramatic dogshit. It's hard to watch a series, when the very first episode portrays our (main) victim (Hannah) as a condescending brat who thinks she is above everyone else. It's like watching a very very very VERY bad slice-of-life anime series. If this series helped people to combat bullying and other bad things, I am non-facetiously happy for it, but as a tv series, it's just very bad.

New Planet of the Apes trilogy: I am disappointed in myself that I never gave them a chance when they were released, thus missed out on seeing these in the theaters. My personal ranking is 2-3-1. 1 is the necessary "bad" in the trilogy, which is still a good movie, but the whole plot can be summed in two sentences. I am just glad that they gave Ceasar some proper character development, and not rushed his transition. CGI is pretty wonky by today's standards, 2 and 3 look great. I heard that 3 was the best (and 2nd the worst), but I disagree. I enjoyed 3 a lot, but holy shit, plot holes and deus ex machinas everywhere. The whole trilogy is filled up with some dumb Hollywood tropers, but I understand that it is a necessity if you want to be a box office hit. They went waaay overboard with it, and all I can think of is that they had some time constraints. I loved 2, because all the ape scenes were amazing, and Spoiler: Koba was by far the best villain of the trilogy. In fact, I think he wasn't a villain at all, because he had very very good reasons to think the way he did. Also, he was pretty smart, which made him an equal to Ceasar.

True Blood (first three episodes): I am pleasantly surprised! I fast-forward the svenes with Suki and the emo vampire, as it's just lame Twilight shit, but the rest of the show is quite entertaining. Tara and Suki's brother are funny as fuck, and there are no annoying side-characters. Yet, I assume.

The Leftovers (rewatch): I am rewatching this right now, and all I can say is that if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend you to watch it. It took me 3 episodes back then to hook me in, and season 2 is one of the best TV you can get. It's like the more mature big brother of Lost.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    The Leftovers (rewatch) I am rewatching this right now, and all I can say is that if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend you to watch it. It took me 3 episodes back then to hook me in, and season 2 is one of the best TV you can get.

Absolutely agreed. One of my absolute favorite shows of all time. It took me until episode 6 to hook me, and I almost gave up on it twice. But I am so glad I stuck with it. It is one of the most unique shows I've ever seen, and I was so invested in the story and in those characters. God, I miss those characters. If you haven't seen the show it is well worth checking out. I promise, you haven't seen anything quite like it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

This started Sunday and I'm into it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Gunsmoke--the greatest western show of all-time.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @zero i was really into it for a bit and for some reason i dropped off and never picked it back up. i don't even remember at what point i left off, so i should probably figure that out.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, I've been watching Dark, which has been on my list forever. For someone obsessed with time travel, this is right up my alley. I am definitely enjoying it so far (almost done with season 1) but I don't love it. It's keeping my interest and keeping me mildly entertained. Like, it's enjoyable enough to watch and I am intrigued enough to want to continue but it's not by any means blowing me away or anything. Maybe it will get better as it goes along, IDK.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Guess I'm on a Gosling kick after Drive and 2049.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Raised by Wolves on HBOMAX. Ridley Scott directed the first two episodes. Pretty great, so far. Really great, actually.
    Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal, also on HBOMAX, it originally aired on Adult Swim. Prehistoric animated series. Great artwork and action. I just read news of 5 new episodes arriving in October, and the series is being renewed, with 10 episodes in Season 2.
    Last edited by Findus; 09-05-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    So, I've been watching Dark, which has been on my list forever. For someone obsessed with time travel, this is right up my alley. I am definitely enjoying it so far (almost done with season 1) but I don't love it. It's keeping my interest and keeping me mildly entertained. Like, it's enjoyable enough to watch and I am intrigued enough to want to continue but it's not by any means blowing me away or anything. Maybe it will get better as it goes along, IDK.
    i really liked season 1. i loved season 2. season 3 was insane​ and we blew through it so fast because we were just like OH MY GOD WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!?!?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    That's so good to hear!! I'm three episodes from the end of season 1 and this show is BONKERS.

In other news, I am of the opinion that Charlie Kaufman is one of the best screenwriters ever, and I absolutely love him, but he needs someone else to direct. He needs someone to reign him in. Otherwise he disappears way, way up his own ass.

Anyway, I just watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Raised by Wolves - bad.
    I'm Thinking of Ending Things - very bad (Eternal sunshine was great btw),
    The Painted Bird - terrible.

...guess I'm not in the mood lately? :-)