Page 83 of 155 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 133 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 4626

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    So, I'm now four episodes into "Sense8" and I don't like it. Like, I really don't like it. I'm trying to. I keep hearing about how amazing it is and so many people have said that episode 4 is when they got hooked and that it's an amazing episode and...meh. I feel like I'm watching a completely different show from everyone else. I don't get the appeal at all.

I'm trying. I'll give it another couple of episodes before I give up. Also gave Game of Thrones a chance and gave up on it. I don't like anything anyone else likes, apparently. Ha.
    What shows have you gotten into? Would love to see if I could help recommend something.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    What shows have you gotten into? Would love to see if I could help recommend something.
    Oh lord, what haven't I gotten into? Ha. Recently (just in the last couple of months, there are a ton more; I'm a pretty huge TV geek): season 2 of BoJack, Fargo, Silicon Valley, the fourth season of Louie (I'm behind) and Daredevil. I've got a list a mile long but I am always looking for more recommendations.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Oh lord, what haven't I gotten into? Ha. Recently (just in the last couple of months, there are a ton more; I'm a pretty huge TV geek): season 2 of BoJack, Fargo, Silicon Valley, the fourth season of Louie (I'm behind) and Daredevil. I've got a list a mile long but I am always looking for more recommendations.
    I'm a self-admitted Fannibal so I'd highly recommend the series Hannibal if you get the chance and haven't checked it out yet. If you like dark, artistic and cerebral stuff with lots of layers and a clear unique vision executed with absolute self-confidence, I'd recommend it hard.

Have you seen the first season of True Detective? Personally I'm not huge on the second but each is a stand alone much like Fargo and the first is one of my favorite things I've ever seen.

If you never watched Mad Men, I can definitely say it had a highly satisfying and fantastic final run and as a fan for years I found nothing unresolved. Well worth the watch, it's a very rewarding and thoughtful series.

There's this show Rectify that I've been watching the first season of, I think it's in its third right now, and it's a really great, slower and very serious series. Emotionally heavy a lot of the time. No idea if it keeps being good but I'm really enjoying it at the moment.

The Americans is worth checking out on FX as well. And for comedy series Legit by Jim Jefferies on FX was excellent and could've really come into its own if it had been given another season, it seemed to be moving into a more Louie-esque territory but was much more stand-up-centric than Louie. If you like his stand up you'd dig the show. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is pretty much the most consistently quality live action comedy series left on air nowadays, it's never stopped being funny and any lulls it's had it's always recovered from fast. Maybe the show I laugh the most at out of everything I watch.

If you've never seen Curb Your Enthusiasm it might be the funniest comedy of all time for me. It's like if Seinfeld wasn't stuck in the sitcom format, had no censorship and had no live audience, with total creative freedom.

There was this show on FX that was a victim of the writer's strike called The Riches that Eddie Izzard was doing, and I found it fantastic. If you check it out just know that it ends on a cliffhanger and won't have any resolution. It's very frustrating. Critically it was even doing really well, too. Just one of those things I guess.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Hannibal and The Americans are definitely on my list. I was planning on getting g Amazon Prime soon just to watch those two shows (well, and also Orphan Black and possibly Justified).

Curb is one of my favorite shows of all time. I tried but didn't care for Legit, Mad Men or Rectify. I watched the first two episodes of season one of True Detective but just could not get into it at all (despite it seeming to be right up my alley). I watched the first season of It's Always Sunny but didn't like it very much. I have heard good things about The Riches over the years, so I may check that out.

Thank you for the recommendations, though! Have you seen Terriers? If not I would highly recommend it. It's on Netflix and it's great and no one has ever heard of it and I can't seem to get anyone to watch it. Such a shame because it's such a terrific show.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Season 2 of Rick and Morty is shaping up to be as good as season 1 was... making it the greatest thing.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Season 2 of Rick and Morty is shaping up to be as good as season 1 was... making it the greatest thing.
    Yeah, it was an under my radar Adult Swim show. I like mostly everything on Adult Swim and never watched it. I bought the blu-ray of season 1 recently and zipped through it quick. I got it a week before season 2 premiere. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So, I'm now four episodes into "Sense8" and I don't like it. Like, I really don't like it. I'm trying to. I keep hearing about how amazing it is and so many people have said that episode 4 is when they got hooked and that it's an amazing episode and...meh. I feel like I'm watching a completely different show from everyone else. I don't get the appeal at all.
    sense8 wasn't AMAZING in my opinion.
    I thought it was decent.
    I REALLY feel as though the directors didn't quite get across what they were trying to say in "cloud atlas," and that's what sense8 is.

cloud atlas is better.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I just finally got round to watching the last ever episode of Mad Men. The last 30 mins got me in the feels, as some people say nowadays!

Spoiler: Stan and Peggy realizing they love one another and Don breaking down after speaking to Peggy!. I did think maybe some one would die (Betty) but was still a good ending

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Hannibal and The Americans are definitely on my list. I was planning on getting g Amazon Prime soon just to watch those two shows (well, and also Orphan Black and possibly Justified).

Curb is one of my favorite shows of all time. I tried but didn't care for Legit, Mad Men or Rectify. I watched the first two episodes of season one of True Detective but just could not get into it at all (despite it seeming to be right up my alley). I watched the first season of It's Always Sunny but didn't like it very much. I have heard good things about The Riches over the years, so I may check that out.

Thank you for the recommendations, though! Have you seen Terriers? If not I would highly recommend it. It's on Netflix and it's great and no one has ever heard of it and I can't seem to get anyone to watch it. Such a shame because it's such a terrific show.
    I would really recommend making it to the end of episode 4 for True Detective, but I totally get how irritating hearing people say things like that can be.

Legit is definitely a step down from other things, it really requires you to be a fan of him before being a fan of the show.

Sunny's first season is often considered less than the rest, and because of its sitcom nature you can watch mostly out of order. I'd highly recommend the episodes The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis, The DENNIS System, Who Pooped the Bed?, The Gang Wrestles for the Troops, Mac and Charlie Die and Charlie Work are all really good entrances or episodes to maybe get into it. Definitely not for everyone though. The first season doesn't have Danny DeVito in it at all and his character is really a huge anchor point for much of the comedy, his addition breathed an entirely different energy into it.

I really need to check out Terriers soon, will definitely move it up in my priorities!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    First episode of Mr. Robot has me sold

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    First episode of Mr. Robot has me sold
    Couple episodes behind, but I'm enjoying it alot.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    As of right now the series has covered Hannibal, as much of Hannibal Rising as they ever intended to cover, is covering Red Dragon, and so the only novel that would really be left is Silence, which they still hadn't acquired the rights to even before the cancellation. The plotline in season 1 with Tobias and the violin man and all that jazz was actually a replacement for what was going to be showing us how the head in a jar from Silence came to be, which is mentioned in exposition in the novel but never fully detailed. Bryan Fuller is committed to American Gods for a little bit and the show has a streaming exclusivity deal with Amazon that won't run out until about 18 months from now or so, so until then we shouldn't expect anything more sadly. It's become my favorite series, right beside Sopranos for me. I actually might go as far to say that it's my favorite adaptation of a novel to screen that's ever been done.

Harris is actually a fan, Fuller has said he saw an email that Harris sent someone at the studio and it literally just said "I like the series. Mads is hard to understand sometimes." So his seal of approval is on it.

If tt.
    well I WILL be DAMNED. I was about to tell you that I was confused until I reminded myself of the plot of the hannibal novel. You're right of course. I read those books SO long ago. I still want silence and the original lecter ending that the creator discussed though.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Also...oooooohh, @kleiner352 , mr robot has favorite show of all time potential for me. EVERYONE check it out. It's fight club meets american psycho with a techie twist, lynchian directing and a reznorian soundtrack.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Well I binged all of Mr. Robot from 1 AM to 7 AM. I never do this with shows. Goddamn. I'm in love. The soundtrack is like TSN but doesn't feel like a rip off at all. If Dexter at its best was non-violent, more serious and without a lot of the bullshit, it'd be like this. Compared to almost anything else I've seen this gets tech terms more accurate than just about any other show around. The lead actor is exceptional. The writing keeps getting me drawn in. Very strong Fincher feel, very strong and sparring choices of licensed music, all the acting so far is great. Just everything so far is pulling it off, and hard. Cannot wait for the rest of the season, very happy to see it was already renewed for a second. If they do this right it could be real award-worthy, well regarded material.
    @elevenism trust me I am dying for Fuller to complete his vision for Hannibal. Speaking of, last night's episode was remarkably good.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Well I binged all of Mr. Robot from 1 AM to 7 AM. I never do this with shows. Goddamn. I'm in love.
    we have a Mr Robot thread here and have been wondering out loud why no one else is talking about it.

It IS just utterly fucking incredible, isn't it?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Humans finished here last week. It's pretty damn good, with the concept being a near-future or alt-present world in which synthetics (do they prefer the term 'artificial person'?) are the natural extention of our iPhone culture. It's a thematic melting pot of I Robot, Blade Runner, and Terminator 2/Sarah Connor Chronicles, but feels very fresh - it's well-written and imaginative, finding plenty of new angles. It's compulsive, too - it's paced so that there's both mystery and major exposition in every episode, without feeling forced.

It's been absolutely monstering the ratings over here, the most popular scripted programme outside BBC1. They've already been preparing to make another season before this one's even finished.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @kleiner352 , there are some things about the ending of the novel Hannibal that i would have liked to see in this version.
    But with the complete absence of the Clarice character, they did what they could and it was fucking great.

I'm just now hitting the Red Dragon arc.

This version of Hannibal (the tv show i mean, as an adaptation of Harris' characters) is DEFINITELY the best one, if a TINY bit queer for my tastes. In fact, it's not even the queerness, it's how heavy handed it was in using sex as a seduction metaphor (like as in "seduction into darkness.) There have been a few times where i was like "okay fuller, we GET it!" Or "why don't they kiss already?!"
    But i still adore it and i think it does the books more justice than any of the movies ever did. The thing that blew my mind about the books was how incredibly LITERARY they were. That's the main thing i remember-the way he deftly used literary devices-the subtexts, the metaphors. Those books were incredibly good compared to most of the stuff i plowed through as a young adult.

Well, we are about to watch the end of True Detective, and then i could use a new show myself.
    We'll probably have watched all the Hannibal there is by the end of the day.
    We are watching Mr Robot, the Whispers, and Zoo.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like another show that we could binge on.
    I'm still stuck in bed with my back broken.
    I'd like another one to binge watch.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Zoo, BTW, is pretty damn cool. It certainly isn't on the level of a Hannibal or a Mr Robot (which, i agree with you Kleiner, those shows are up there in Sopranos territory.)

But it HAS had some pretty cool scenes and has the potential for more. If you don't know, it's about what appears to be a steadily impending apocalypse scenario in which the animals decide "hey, fuck it! we can take this planet from the humans! let's go for it!"
    There is a great scene where everyone's cats are missing, and they are found at this park in the trees...hundreds of them. And they don't look friendly anymore. It's pretty damn stunning, and i would bet that those types of scenes will only get more intense as the show progresses, with bigger and more dangerous animals.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-10-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Gift was great. And the WIFE WAS THE PROTAGONIST! I love how trailers literally have to lie so more people will be interested or something lmao.

Great lil character study thriller and oddly feminist/ big fuck u to a bunch of shit I hate. well done.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @elevenism

Do you like Sean Bean? 24? Homeland?

Give the TNT series "Legends" a shot, only one season so far... the 2nd one has been delayed until November or something when it was supposed to air this month.

If i had to think of what it's like... it reminds me of a CBS show called The Pretender from the 90s and the Jason Bourne movies. Lots of crazy identity and conspiracy stuff.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    thanks @thelastdisciple

Legends sounds awesome.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Do you like Sean Bean? 24? Homeland?
    Alec Trevelyan? Boromir? Richard Sharpe? Ned Stark?

God I love that man. I really need to watch Legends.

As for what I've watched: All the President's Men. What a movie it is. They don't make them like this anymore.

The day Robert Redford dies, I'm going to cry my eyes out.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe i watched that other movie by miranda juky...me you and everyone you know.

it's strange, like strange on the level of upstream color. The Future is a better miranda july film.

Anyway i wanted to let you know that according to the movie, ))<>((

is how you type "poop back and forth forever."

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, I finished Sense8 finally. It was a struggle to get through but I'm glad I watched it. Ultimately I thought it was good but not great, and I had a lot of issues with it. Even now I've been kind of waffling back and forth on how much I liked it. I think the hype killed a lot of my enjoyment (it is WAY overhyped).

That all being said, it was uneven but the moments that were good were really good. I wasn't sure I would be watching season 2 but after the season finale (which was seriously great) I probably will end up continuing whenever it comes back.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The trailers for it were kind of deceiving. Had some great moments sprinkled in there. It was incredibly slow, and kinda cheesy at times. But, I have hope that the second season will learn from the first's problems.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Didn't make it to straight outta Compton on time so we caught san andreas at the dollar movie. It was GREAT for what it was, a big expensive disaster flick in 3d. Also the plot and acting were better than I thought they would be. Ifit also had goofy action hero cliches that were fun to me and my wife. If you like the disaster flick, I say catch it at the dollar movie. They don't work as well on tv. But i also recommend making sure it's in 3d. That was part of the charm.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    watched "queen of the damned" last night for the first time in years (though i've seen it upwards of 20 times), and my wife had never seen it. so much fun with a few drinks. how i never realized claudia black was in it before, i don't know, but now that i'm a big whovian it was awesome to see paul mcgann.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    watched "queen of the damned" last night for the first time in years (though i've seen it upwards of 20 times), and my wife had never seen it. so much fun with a few drinks. how i never realized claudia black was in it before, i don't know, but now that i'm a big whovian it was awesome to see paul mcgann.
    Paul McGann makes everything better. He'll always be my favorite Doctor.

I'm watching Sinister before going to see the sequel which, according to almost everyone, is awful.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Paul McGann makes everything better. He'll always be my favorite Doctor.

I'm watching Sinister before going to see the sequel which, according to almost everyone, is awful.
    my friend was essentially responsible for all the sets on Sinister II and she said that, while she had fun working on it, it's probably not a great movie haha

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    last night we watched Christine, which neither of us had ever seen. we're both big john carpenter fans, and thought it was quite good. the score was, of course, excellent. does anyone know if stephen king likes this adaptation? i know he's not always a fan of the movies made out of his books.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Finally watched the final ever Glee episode. Fairly decent last episode but it had gone down hill for a long time.